Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002184 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #4036 on: November 20, 2016, 07:40:04 am »

They're forecasting 10% Muslims in 2050 overall in Europe.
That doesn't really mean much, because distribution of muslim immigrants historically is highly assymetrical across Europe (As in, there aren't many if at all in the Eastern part). It could mean it's 0,5% in Poland in 2050, and 30% in France.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: November 20, 2016, 09:45:12 am »

They're forecasting 10% Muslims in 2050 overall in Europe.
I'd argue that there's a high number of cultural Muslims, men and woman that for cultural and family reasons remain practising Muslims despite being agnostic or atheist them selves.
Remember that in alot of places death or prison is the penalty for apostasy, so there strong family reasons to remain a muslim, at least on paper.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 10:00:12 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: November 20, 2016, 10:57:55 am »

Coming to a city near you

Remember folks, when WW3 was started because of a monkey.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: November 20, 2016, 11:03:16 am »

Shouldn't that go in the MidEast thread? Also, this would be hilarious if it weren't such a horrible escalation of nanoscale trigger activation (you know, much thinner than 'hairtrigger').

Though I guess it's Europe in the semse that Libya is on the coast of the Mediterranean, Turkey is included in this thread, it's on the coast of the Mediterranean, Europe is the north coast of the Mediterranean, thus Libya is Europe.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 11:06:45 am by smjjames »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4041 on: November 20, 2016, 11:04:23 am »

HARAMBE NO.
DO NOT ENTACT YOUR BLOODY VENEGANCE ON HUMAN RACE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: November 20, 2016, 11:06:25 am »

Bow down before the one you serve.

You're going to get what you deserve.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: November 20, 2016, 11:07:57 am »

Shouldn't that go in the MidEast thread? Also, this would be hilarious if it weren't such a horrible escalation of nanoscale trigger activation (you know, much thinner than 'hairtrigger').

Sorry, got confused by recent posters that said Europe is the new MidEast.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: November 20, 2016, 11:10:36 am »

Sorry, got confused by recent posters that said Europe is the new MidEast.

Turkey (which IS in the MidEast) is sometimes included in this thread, so, it's understandable where it gets confusing.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4045 on: November 20, 2016, 11:11:49 am »

That was back when Turkey still pretended to be a civilized country.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: November 20, 2016, 11:18:29 am »

Jokes aside, parts of Turkey is physically in Europe so it has a good claim to be in this thread.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: November 20, 2016, 11:28:32 am »

This is not the Europe thread though, this is the EU thread. Because I dunno what.

Also I'd say the only parts of the Middle East that's less part of the Middle East than Turkey is the North African ones, so..
Love, scriver~

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: November 20, 2016, 01:17:20 pm »

Silverthrone, you seem to be implying that an Islamist 'assault' on Europe would come from without, like some kind of army at the gates, rather than from within.

Why would they need to do that when we're already inviting them in - 'Refugees Welcome!' - and their proportion of the population is rapidly increasing, to thunderous applause? See this video of German politician Dr. Steffi Van Berg say 'in 20 to 30 years, there will no longer be German majorities in our cities ... this is a good thing'.

I, personally, do not think that's a good thing. Given what we know about Islamic attitudes toward homosexuality even in developed countries, I think LGBT people in Germany should be very concerned about these demographic changes.

For all the talk of us 'inching the right way', I think the situation is more serious than the picture you are painting. And the fact that the media is still so afraid of reporting on these issues makes me have serious doubts about any perceived 'inching' being real at all.

That scenario assumes that every single man, woman and child that are muslim are entirely devoted to the idea of an European Caliphate, and that the over-generous refuge standards that let them in will remain in place unchanged. Even if this hive-mind scenario, along with the borders-remain-wide-open-come-hell-or-high-water scenario, were entirely true, it'd still hinge on a minority toppling the armed nation-state they live in. It can happen. But it cannot happen next thursday afternoon. It'd also require great popular support for the maïve sentiment Dr. Van Berg is expressing, and that support is eroding.
It might not look like it, but there is a shift. The unhealthy relationship towards islamism and hands-off immigration is being challenged, but there are decades of old conventions that are being breached. It will take time, but there are no reason to believe that it will not accelerate, or to believe that it isn't actually real, due to the greater media hesitating to report on such things. Which is not entirely unreasonable of them, since those sorts of reports would get them absolutely thrashed and branded as incurable racists until relatively recently. It isn't out there en masse, being exciting and making memes, but things are changing. Slower than they should, but they are.

Also, I do not know if or how I gave the impression that I do think that it is a good thing. I might have misinterpreted you, but in case I have. I believe islamism belongs in the same category as all other brutal, totalitarian ideologies that has no business being allowed to develop unmolested. Nor is it a good idea to just accept it when half the world wants to move in, and wants to run the new place as they like. Borders needs to be shut, uncompatible people needs to be sent back and movements suppressed. All are hard, difficult things, but they need to be done. However, I do not think there is reason to be hysterical, and think doom in Europe is assured, as punishment for going soft. Doom is only inevitable if we assume that everything will continue in the direction it does now, and I do not think it will, not with the widening cracks in the pseudo-ideology that cements it.

I will be honest, I simply do not like that tone. That I would be "implying" falsehoods to prop up current politics, applauding the demographical development along with Dr. Van Berg or that I would be lying about seeing a shift that is not there. I might be seeing implications and assumtions that are not there, but I do not appreciate being made into a charicature, chirping opinions that are not my own for you to shoot down. Just because I do not think that the forecast is quite as grim as it is often presented, then that does not mean that I think that all is well, and business can keep going as before.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: November 20, 2016, 02:16:01 pm »

I see. I think it might have been a misunderstand of tone, all together. I do beg your pardon, and I am glad that it got cleared up. It can be difficult to make clear, these things, and I think it is better to say so.

As for your point, I am in agreement. I think I was far too lax in explaining that both are genuine threats; outwards and inwards. The Vienna reference was rather lazy of me, all things together. It's difficult to not reach for references like that, but they are usually not very helpful. Honestly, with notes compared, I think we are practically in agreement, with the only disagreement being the magnitude of the internal threat, and if the sentiment of Dr. Van Berg is waning or not. And truthfully, it is reasonable to suspect that it isn't; I can only go by what I see, and that does not always give the full picture.
Awfully sorry about the misunderstanding. Happy to see it was a misreading on my part. Standards tend to be rather low online, and I fear I may have conditioned myself to assume the worst. No need to worry, I wasn't attacked, and with it all cleared up, I have no reason to feel that I have. And thank you, not everyone takes the time to explain what they meant like that.

Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 793