Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1007970 times)

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #4860 on: February 16, 2017, 12:00:57 pm »

Stupidity and out-of-touch judges are at it again in Sweden.

*sigh* ::)

They tried that for a while here in the Netherlands, but it was overruled by a judge who realized it was idiotic.

And it takes a whooping 5 seconds to google for a proxy.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: February 17, 2017, 06:28:40 am »

So, the EU parliament has set out some goals for what direction they think the EU should take.

Parliament sets out its vision for the future of Europe

If the EU is to boost its capacity to act, restore citizens’ trust and make the euro zone economy more resilient to outside shocks, it needs to make full use of the Lisbon Treaty. But to go further, it needs to reform itself more fundamentally. This was the key message of three resolutions exploring the future development of the European Union approved by Parliament on Thursday.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, empty words, or a promising resolution? Whether these things can be achieved, even if it's the latter, remains to be seen, given how the members haven't been jumping at the bit to give more power to the EU.

As bad as the whole Brexit debacle might be, perhaps it was a necessary sacrifice to allow (some of) these proposals to have any chance of seeing the light of day.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 06:44:19 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: February 17, 2017, 06:36:41 am »

outside shock

The EU doesn't need to be protected from "outside shock" as much as it needs to be protected from German greed.
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: February 17, 2017, 07:58:08 am »

outside shock

The EU doesn't need to be protected from "outside shock" as much as it needs to be protected from German greed.

Interestingly that migh very well be an argument for beefed up EU institutions, with the UK gone the German government became even more powerful as a proportion, delegating power to EU isntitutions is a way to avoid German hegemony.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: February 17, 2017, 10:21:43 am »

But who institutes the institutions?
Love, scriver~

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: February 17, 2017, 11:43:15 am »

Such argument. Wow.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: February 17, 2017, 11:48:02 am »

Don't be such a Drumpf, help, it is a play on "who watches the watchmen".
Love, scriver~

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: February 17, 2017, 11:51:46 am »

I get the reference. I'm just pointing out that it's a non-argument masquerading as one. Rhetorically that's only very slightly higher than calling your opponent a poo-poo head.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: February 17, 2017, 11:54:51 am »

Considering how often you parade appeals to tradition it's pretty rich to come up with this. Ten pages back you were agreeing with the brexiteers on principle because of your permanent hard-on for anything conservative.  ::)

By the way, care to discuss how the brilliant EU plan to solve the Greek fiasco is working out? You know that they had to be bailed out yet again a couple of weeks ago, because this bullshit austerity we imposed on them doesn't work, right? As pretty much everyone foresaw, tbh
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: February 17, 2017, 12:06:50 pm »

Considering how often you parade appeals to tradition it's pretty rich to come up with this. Ten pages back you were agreeing with the brexiteers on principle because of your permanent hard-on for anything conservative.  ::)

By the way, care to discuss how the brilliant EU plan to solve the Greek fiasco is working out? You know that they had to be bailed out yet again a couple of weeks ago, because this bullshit austerity we imposed on them doesn't work, right? As pretty much everyone foresaw, tbh

They got bailed out again recently? I saw that the Greek debt crisis fiasco and Grexit was rearing it's head again, but didn't know how it played out.

Isn't there going to be a point where it'd be pointless or impossible to bail them out? This is exactly like Congress kicking the oil barrel (I like to use that instead of 'kicking the can', because it's a lot heavier than a can) over the debt. Though Greece is in a FAR, FAR, worse position than the US.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: February 17, 2017, 12:11:27 pm »

-snip-

Seems pretty typical. They acknowledge here that the EU has been relatively useless in dealing with problems concerning national sovereignty, and suggest handing over more power to them as the solution to the problem of national sovereignty.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 12:13:55 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: February 17, 2017, 12:11:44 pm »

Tbh, it's not much different fundamentally from various USA states getting massive yearly subsidies from the federal government. Well, other than that European Union is still sadly not a proper federal institution, and thus is unable to send down the Union police to crack down on Greeks' ridiculous tax evasion practices.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: February 17, 2017, 12:26:12 pm »

Tbh, it's not much different fundamentally from various USA states getting massive yearly subsidies from the federal government. Well, other than that European Union is still sadly not a proper federal institution, and thus is unable to send down the Union police to crack down on Greeks' ridiculous tax evasion practices.

Or the Federal military, like when George Washington had to put his foot down over a rebellion (more protest than armed rebellion) over taxes (yeah, I know, the irony).

Though the comparison between the US federal system and the EU federal system breaks down due to the way that they historically started. The US started as a coalition of colonies that, while they had a great deal of autonomy, were never really fully soveriegn. Only Texas (and California for a very brief period before statehood, though I'm not sure what the source is for that) was ever really a soveriegn nation.

Meanwhile, the EU is starting with completely sovereign nations that have differing cultures, languages, politics, etc, which have to give up a small portion of their autonomy. Though they're still vastly more autonomous than a state in the US.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 12:30:50 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 793