Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008012 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #5910 on: May 24, 2017, 11:13:48 am »

Other factors you hear are that the lower safety net and minimum wages of the US pushes more recent migrant into work (both because they have no choice, and because it allows for more low-wage jobs for low-skills people).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5911 on: May 24, 2017, 12:39:56 pm »

Seems that muslim-related unrest is directly proportional to the percentage of the total population being muslim then, similar to how it is with everyone else.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5914 on: May 24, 2017, 01:34:30 pm »

I made one post, logged out for the night, came back, and Godwin had taken over the thread.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5915 on: May 24, 2017, 04:58:04 pm »

Anyhow can I have a link to it being Legal in the UK to make death threats so long as your a foreigner?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5916 on: May 24, 2017, 05:17:29 pm »

Anyhow can I have a link to it being Legal in the UK to make death threats so long as your a foreigner?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8yjNbcKkNY
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5917 on: May 24, 2017, 05:19:37 pm »

its just a general thing in the US for most death threats not to have anything done about them.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5918 on: May 24, 2017, 05:34:37 pm »

its just a general thing in the US for most death threats not to have anything done about them.
Most death threats aren't illegal in the US because the courts apply standards of plausibility, specificity, and immediacy to them. You can't be charged for posting the NAVY Seal Copypasta at someone because it's implausible, you are not actually a NAVY Seal and you do not have the ability to wipe them the fuck out with precision like you've never seen before. You can't be charged for calling for the deaths of all black people because it's unspecific, your murder boner isn't pointed at an identifiable person but the general category of black people. You can't even be charged for saying a specific person ought to be killed because your ethos that they should be killed is not marked by an intention of action (whether they're a death row prisoner or a celebrity).

To be charged for death threats, at least in theory, you need a mixture of all three. Saying your neighbor should be fed into a pit of lions is specific (neighbor) and immediate (lions), but lacks plausibility. In practice, this is a somewhat subjective judgement and probably is not applied very evenly, leading to the courts trying to not apply it at all. Hence why a lot of these cases are the threats towards Presidents rather than general Americans, because a different standard is applied there.

Or so says my layman's interpretation.

In European laws, the standards I see are based more upon the fear of the victim and the state of the threat's motivation.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 05:37:14 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5919 on: May 24, 2017, 08:37:48 pm »

I am still Swedish, not British. But unfortunately I cannot find the article where I read about it (it was an opinion piece in Göteborgs-Posten), so I can't source it either to that or to the court decision.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5920 on: May 25, 2017, 02:50:15 am »

Ok what about an article that says it is legal in the UK to keep your children inside their entire lives so long as you are Muslim?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5921 on: May 25, 2017, 03:43:19 am »

The Manchester attack turns out to be yet another major intelligence service fuckup.

The perpetrator had been reported to authorities 5 times. His friends had called the police after he had stated that it is okay to be a suicide terrorist. His mosque had warned the police that he was radicalizing. His own familiy called the police, to warn them that the man was a threat. Furthermore intelligence services were aware that he was a member of a Libyan group linked to al Qaida.
Not much was done with this knowledge. The man had been placed on a watchlist, but wasn't being watched closely.

Meanwhile, while raiding some places, police arrested 6 more people, and found more explosives, which have been detonated remotely by the bomb squad. Rumour has it that intelligence agencies are 'very worried' by the explosives found. They fear there will be more attacks soon.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5922 on: May 25, 2017, 03:46:10 am »

So basically EVERYTHING was working correctly in terms of community both Muslim and otherwise.

It was the British Gov that FUDGED THE FUDGE up? am I getting this right?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5923 on: May 25, 2017, 03:49:03 am »

Yes. The stupidity is so overwhelming it almost makes one think that they allowed it to happen on purpose.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5924 on: May 25, 2017, 03:49:10 am »

Seems like almost every terror attack has a severe Intel fuckup behind it these days.

So basically EVERYTHING was working correctly in terms of community both Muslim and otherwise.

It was the British Gov that FUDGED THE FUDGE up? am I getting this right?

Definetly looks like it. Everything in terms of reporting him and raising red flags sounds like it was working correctly, it's the authorities that dropped the ball.
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 793