Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1001971 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #6105 on: June 13, 2017, 10:58:51 am »

What is that Economic Agreement you speak of?

Basque Economic Agreement. Actually, transferred Basque competences in general. Artur Mas (the current 'spiritual leader' -and former head of Catalonian goverment) wanted those. PP's goverment blocked him and started agitprop against Catalonians, Artur Mas countered with pro-independence protests.
Oh, so, it's closer to a US state (usually Texas, more recently it was California) having a bit of a hissy fit and thumping chest about seccession, but in reality goes nowhere.

It was the first example that came up in my head. Maybe a slightly better example would be Scotland, however, they're practically a separate country from England and are already part of NATO anyway by being in the UK.
I wouldnt say that either. The Catalonians have genuine grievances. Its just that the matter is far more complex  and multipolar than people make it abroad.

I'm guessing thats true of all political conflicts though. 
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6106 on: June 13, 2017, 12:30:42 pm »

The EU is starting a disciplinary lawsuit against Poland, Hungary and Czech Republic, for not complying with the amount of refugees that was agreed to be relocated there from the 160 thousand refugees stranded in Greece and Italy.
Poland and Hungary failed to relocate in a single refugee. the Czech Republic, who was designated to take in 2691 refugees, took in 12 people and then declared that was more than enough.

The three countries stand to lose the EU subsidies they have been recieving since they joined the EU.
Viktor Orbán has said he will not give in to blackmail.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6107 on: June 13, 2017, 12:36:37 pm »

The EU is starting a disciplinary lawsuit against Poland, Hungary and Czech Republic, for not complying with the amount of refugees that was agreed to be relocated there from the 160 thousand refugees stranded in Greece and Italy.
Poland and Hungary failed to relocate in a single refugee. the Czech Republic, who was designated to take in 2691 refugees, took in 12 people and then declared that was more than enough.

The three countries stand to lose the EU subsidies they have been recieving since they joined the EU.
Viktor Orbán has said he will not give in to blackmail.

But no disciplinary actions being taken against approximately half the Union for not following Dublin Regulation?

/sarcasm

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6108 on: June 13, 2017, 12:44:08 pm »

Dublin is unworkable, because of it's 'first country of entry' principle. It should never have been ratified. If we were to follow Dublin, 99% of refugees would have to be taken in by Greece and Italy.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6109 on: June 13, 2017, 12:47:35 pm »

I would rather they just keep them off European shores entirely and house them in camps on leased land in Libya or something.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6111 on: June 13, 2017, 01:48:28 pm »

I would rather they just keep them off European shores entirely and house them in camps on leased land in Libya or something.

And I would rather that there be peace all over the world and no refugees.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6112 on: June 13, 2017, 01:49:19 pm »

And I would rather that there be peace all over the world and no refugees.
Difference is, mine is something that can be done.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6113 on: June 13, 2017, 01:50:57 pm »

Hahahaha no it isn't. Unless you want to go full nazi and shoot any boat that enters te mediterrenean

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: June 13, 2017, 01:52:38 pm »

You'd also need to rip off a bunch of treaties, find a partner in Libya (getting a deal with Turkey was hard enough, and they have a functionning govt).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6115 on: June 13, 2017, 02:03:43 pm »

You'd also need to rip off a bunch of treaties, find a partner in Libya (getting a deal with Turkey was hard enough, and they have a functionning govt).

IIRC UN members can atm do whatever they please with Libya except for long term occupying areas within the borders. As long as they inform the recognized government. Thats why NATO was planning to bomb ships and boats found at the Libyan coast as a means to prevent smugglers from sending people to the ocean where they get "rescued".

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6116 on: June 13, 2017, 02:08:16 pm »

Hahahaha no it isn't. Unless you want to go full nazi and shoot any boat that enters te mediterrenean
Nonsense. Simply take the people aboard ships and then immediately deliver them back to the Libyan coast. (And no, I don't give a single flying fuck about treaties that say otherwise.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6117 on: June 13, 2017, 02:08:32 pm »

IIRC UN members can atm do whatever they please with Libya except for long term occupying areas within the borders. As long as they inform the recognized government. Thats why NATO was planning to bomb ships and boats found at the Libyan coast as a means to prevent smugglers from sending people to the ocean where they get "rescued".

I don't think NATO ever planned to do anything of the kind. Don't think anyone invoked article 5 yet for the refugees landing on their beaches. There were a couple of EU nations though that toyed with the idea (of bombing ships).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 02:26:38 pm by martinuzz »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: June 13, 2017, 02:11:37 pm »

Nonsense. Simply take the people aboard ships and then immediately deliver them back to the Libyan coast. (And no, I don't give a single flying fuck about treaties that say otherwise.)
People who don't give a fuck about international treaties are a much bigger threat to the Western world than refugees will ever be

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6119 on: June 13, 2017, 02:13:08 pm »

I don't agree. See, the thing about treaties is that they can be changed. It's not like they're some immutable natural law.
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 793