Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 464 465 [466] 467 468 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002153 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #6975 on: October 13, 2017, 09:12:20 pm »

I was making a slight joke in relation to importing a natural predator to control an invasive species. Climate change is tilting the definition of 'native species' though because some are going to expand their range into where they weren't native previously.

I know, that's why I suggested "thousands of snow leopards". That's basically the entire world population of snow leopards, so they'd have to depopulate them from Asia and cram them into Sweden :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 09:13:53 pm by Reelya »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6976 on: October 14, 2017, 07:38:06 am »

I have a snow leopard plushie. I'll be sure to draft it for the Boar War.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6977 on: October 14, 2017, 08:49:13 am »

When's the last time Ireland got hit by a hurricane? No, it's not the lineup to a joke, Ophelia could hit Ireland as a hurricane (technically, it'd be a post tropical storm), or maybe a post-tropical tropical storm.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6978 on: October 14, 2017, 09:29:51 am »

Or maybe introduce natural predators of the boars? *wink* *wink*
While I suspect this was sarcasm, that's a terrible idea. My country has a problem with boars and pig-boar crossbreeds that ran away from farms or were abandoned. Fuckers are murdering the native wildlife, so the government decided to just let anyone who wants to just go out and hunt them. Introducing a predator would've just created a new problem.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6979 on: October 14, 2017, 09:36:23 am »

Or maybe introduce natural predators of the boars? *wink* *wink*
While I suspect this was sarcasm, that's a terrible idea. My country has a problem with boars and pig-boar crossbreeds that ran away from farms or were abandoned. Fuckers are murdering the native wildlife, so the government decided to just let anyone who wants to just go out and hunt them. Introducing a predator would've just created a new problem.

In a sense it was sarcasm, yeah, and like I said earlier, it was a bit of a jab at how we deal with problems of invasive species sometimes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6980 on: October 14, 2017, 12:40:32 pm »

When's the last time Ireland got hit by a hurricane? No, it's not the lineup to a joke, Ophelia could hit Ireland as a hurricane (technically, it'd be a post tropical storm), or maybe a post-tropical tropical storm.
Oh shit.  I dont get a break.  Flee from war torn spain and get hit by a hurricane
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6981 on: October 14, 2017, 07:26:30 pm »

Oh shit.  I dont get a break.  Flee from war torn spain and get hit by a hurricane

War torn? lolwut.

Speaking of Spain... PM Rajoy (through the interior minister) has said that if Catalan leader Puidgemont (odd that his last name isn't Spanish or Catalan, just observing) still gives an ambigous answer by Monday, Rajoy will take control of the Catalonia region.

In the Reuters article (linked in the Politico article), it's mentioned that theres an article in the Spanish constitution that allows the PM to suspend a regions political autonomy if they break the law and sack the regional government and call for new elections. Which I suppose is what Rajoy would do. Remains to be seen how the Catalan people would react to that kind of thing, and no idea what would happen if most of the Catalan regional government and Puidgemont got re-elected since that is a non-zero possibility.

Also, EU president Junker (is he THE president or? Not sure how high up the rank ladder he goes) says that he doesn't support Catalan secession because he doesn't want other potential breakaways to follow and making an EU too complicated to govern. While it's certainly a legit concern and the "EU made up of 90 countries" bit is definetly hyperbole, I don't think there are all that many separatist movements in Europe. Besides, I don't recall him complaining about Scotland doing an exit from Britian, though I guess it's a separate situation? Also, has he forgotten how many states are in the US?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6982 on: October 14, 2017, 07:33:07 pm »

Scotland didn’t threaten to unilaterally declare independence though. Not a precedent you want to set, methinks.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6983 on: October 14, 2017, 07:50:19 pm »

Yeah, good point, they didn't threaten anything. Even though the situation with Scotland and England is pretty different (Scotland is far more independent, for one), it's understandable to not want to set a precedent for allowing secession.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6984 on: October 14, 2017, 08:30:33 pm »

odd that his last name isn't Spanish or Catalan, just observing
Still not the oddest name for an Iberian political leader, since at least Puigdemont is a local name to my knowledge: the list of past Spanish Prime Ministers includes an O'Donnell of the O'Donnells. :P

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6985 on: October 15, 2017, 03:07:45 am »

War torn? lolwut.

I was mostly kidding about this one, in relation to previous comments about civil war.  The real reason I left is because working conditions for doctors are pretty bad in Spain right now (in my home region they're actually a bit better than in most other places, but still bad).
I'm earning about twice as much now, with saner work hours and longer contracts.  Plus social consideration is higher.

On the other hand I AM about to get hit by a hurricane.  That part was no joke

Catalan leader Puidgemont (odd that his last name isn't Spanish or Catalan, just observing)
Eeh, "Puigdemont" sounds very much Catalonian to me.  I've seen people with variants of the surname

Scotland didn’t threaten to unilaterally declare independence though. Not a precedent you want to set, methinks.

Then again, the British goverment didnt stonewall Scottish requests for a referendum, and after the referendum they got an autonomy reform anyway.  The Catalonians got stonewalled with the autonomy reform to begin with

, EU president Junker (is he THE president or? Not sure how high up the rank ladder he goes) says that he doesn't support Catalan secession because he doesn't want other potential breakaways to follow and making an EU too complicated to govern
I kind of wonder... by this same rationale surely he supports the annexation of Luxembourg by, say for example, Germany, right?  I mean why does his city state get a pass and other, larger territories dont?  Catalonia has a higher population than Denmark

For the record: Yeah, I know that he means that status quo is supreme, by the way (except when its convenient for his agenda, I'm guessing).  Its still a double standard in my book.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 03:46:51 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6986 on: October 15, 2017, 04:34:32 am »

Puidgemont (odd that his last name isn't Spanish or Catalan, just observing)

Why is that odd?

Also, historically speaking, Catalan is closer to Occitan (the minority that covers most of southern France) than it is to Castilian.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6987 on: October 15, 2017, 01:30:15 pm »

http://metro.co.uk/2017/10/15/female-navy-officer-wore-captains-uniform-in-trident-submarine-sex-scandal-7001016/
ayy lmao
Took 3 years for a sex scandal to occur after putting mixed crews in a locked capsule under da sea. No discipline tbqh

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6988 on: October 16, 2017, 01:59:44 am »

Update:  Puigdemont replied to the goverment telling them he expectrd negotiation  during the next 2 months.  He did not clarify whether he had declared independence on a boolean manner, as the goverment demanded. So... they may or may not trigger 155. We'll see

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6989 on: October 16, 2017, 04:27:59 am »

The hurricane hitting Ireland has caused a current of subtropical air to flow over the Western European countries.
Heat records are broken once again. Another couple of 'hottest days since temperature measurements began'. Temperatures over here in the Netherlands can reach 25C (77F), or about 30C (86F) in direct sunlight today. Normal temperatures for this time of year would be about 14C (57F).
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 464 465 [466] 467 468 ... 793