Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008881 times)

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #8235 on: July 05, 2018, 01:10:45 pm »

The gay frogs are at it again
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8236 on: July 07, 2018, 03:51:33 am »

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/07/theresa-secures-backing-cabinet-soft-brexit-180707060411962.html
Oh boy, Theresa May's only gone and done it now. Her Brexit plan ensures the UK de facto continues to be under the authority of the European Union. Under her plan, the UK would become a new EU customs region, wherein we would be able to freely regulate our own agricultural or industrial products to EU standards, nor negotiate any trade deals with non-European nations regarding such products. The UK would pay the cost of running the EU's tariff collection for EU-bound goods passing through the UK, while passing the revenue to the EU. No provisions for the services industry are sought, except that the financial sector will not be subjected to EU regulations, in a move which should clearly highlight May's priorities. While under her plan the UK would be "independent" from the European Court of Justice, being able to freely reject EU regulations placed upon us, however it would be accepted as standard that we accept whatever EU regulations are passed in the EU while there would be unnamed "consequences" if we did not integrate these regulations into UK law. The only thing I liked was that we'd withdraw from the EU Fishery commons, never too late for damage control.

tl;dr
Theresa May's plan keeps the UK outside of the EU market, but within the EU customs union. It will remain subjected to EU rulings upon consequence of some penalty. It will not be able to make trade deals with the rest of the world if such deals involve the importing of agricultural or industrial goods, i.e., everything that's not pharmaceuticals, stamps or intellectual property. EU response was to ask European leaders not to comment on the proposals, EU commissioners seem to like the deal. Boris Johnson backed off after May told him if he quit he wouldn't be able to use his staff car to get home to London, 40 miles away from May's mansion, so our last hope is that once Boris Johnson gets home and has some tea, he resigns and May's marginal majority disappears, forcing a vote of no confidence if she doesn't deliver Brexit in all but name. If not, then all future elections will see politicians arguing over leaving the planned UK-EU customs area

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8237 on: July 07, 2018, 04:39:56 am »

Have you read the statement?  I think the more likely problem is that it wont pass the EU comission

The   UK   and   the   EU   would   maintain   a common   rulebook   for   all   goods   including   agri-food,   with   
the   UK   making   an   upfront   choice   to   commit   by   treaty   to   ongoing   harmonisation   with   EU   rules   
on   goods,   covering   only    those   necessary    to   provide    for   frictionless    trade   at    the   border. These   
rules   are   relatively   stable,   and   supported   by   a   large   share   of   our   manufacturing   businesses.   The   
UK   would   of   course   continue    to   play   a   strong    role   in   shaping    the   international   standards    that   
underpin    them,   and   Parliament   would   have   oversight   of   the   incorporation of    these    rules into   
the   UK’s   legal   order – with   the   ability   to   choose   not   to   do   so,   recognising   that   this   would   have   
consequences.   We   would   strike different arrangements for   services,   where   it   is   in   our   interests   
to    have    regulatory    flexibility,    recognising the    UK    and    the    EU    will    not    have    current    levels    of
access   to   each   other’s   markets
This wont prove a problem in itself but it's no great base for any deal either. Things will stay the same unless they change is a tautology not a commitment :p

. We    therefore    agreed    to    a    more    developed    and    comprehensive    proposal    for    the    economic   
partnership.   At   the   core   of   this   proposal   is   the   establishment   by   the   UK   and   the   EU   of   a   free   trade   area   
for   goods.   This   would   avoid   friction   at   the   border,   protect   jobs   and   livelihoods,   and   ensure   both   sides   
meet   their   commitments   to   Northern   Ireland   and   Ireland   through   the   overall   future   relationship.      
I think this one is trying to fudge SM for goods.  It wont fly without ECJ for certain, and I dont think the 27 are in a position to co promise about Free movement.

The    UK    and    the    EU    would    work    together    on    the    phased    introduction    of    a    new    Facilitated   
Customs   Arrangement that   would   remove   the   need   for   customs   checks   and   controls   between   
the   UK   and   the   EU   as   if   a   combined   customs   territory.   The   UK   would   apply   the   UK’s   tariffs   and   
trade    policy    for    goods    intended    for    the    UK,    and    the    EU’s    tariffs    and    trade    policy    for    goods   
intended    for    the    EU    - becoming    operational    in    stages    as    both    sides    complete    the    necessary   
preparations.   This   would   enable   the   UK   to   control   its   own   tariffs   for   trade   with   the   rest   of   the   
world   and   ensure   businesses   paid   the   right   or   no   tariff   - in   the   vast   majority   of   cases   upfront,   
and   otherwise   through   a   repayment   mechanism.
EU has already refused this

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/723460/CHEQUERS_STATEMENT_-_FINAL.PDF

I'm fairly sure it wont as it is, but on the other hand it might be the only way tonhave a starting point towards negotiating anything.  The way things are now it's going to be either hard brexit or Canadian FTA with a fudge to pretendn the hard border isn't.

Btw Boris Johnson has spoken in favor of this thing. Once again: my personal take is that the EU as it stands is not wonderland, but you're giving waaaay too much credit and confidence to the people running this thing, just like the Greeks did before. I think Syrytza were left wing opportunist populists without a plan and the leading Brexiters are right wing opportunists without a plan. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 04:49:28 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8238 on: July 07, 2018, 06:35:02 am »

Brexit means Brexit
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8239 on: July 07, 2018, 06:52:15 am »

Potato means potato.

I am fully confident that HMG will stand by the sovereign will of the British people and deliver  a potato Brexit as voted in the referendum.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 08:49:45 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8240 on: July 07, 2018, 06:03:50 pm »

Have you read the statement?  I think the more likely problem is that it wont pass the EU comission
I hope you're right

Brexit means Brexit
inb4 Theresa May delivers a meeting on how the real Brexit was in all of our hearts the whole time

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8241 on: July 08, 2018, 05:47:05 am »

Well, you've already got Germans in the palace...
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8242 on: July 08, 2018, 09:44:13 am »

What the fuck is even going on in government any more?

Did someone swap out our MPs and the PM with insane doppelgangers?
https://youtu.be/GEStsLJZhzo

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8243 on: July 08, 2018, 05:23:12 pm »

There's a new twist in the whole Novichok agent on the ex-spy back in March. A couple somehow came into contact with the agent, but authorities haven't figured out yet if it's the same batch. I've also heard something about the house that they were in, was newly rented or something, but that hasn't been confirmed yet seemingly. Not much information right now.
So, the woman poisoned is now dead, apparently.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8244 on: July 08, 2018, 07:25:45 pm »

A murder inquiry has started as a result.

Also, unsurprisingly, government in chaos, Brexit minister (and junior Brexit minister) resign, meaning the person leading the negotiations on Britain’s behalf for the past 15 and a half months is gone.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8245 on: July 08, 2018, 11:40:12 pm »

Also, unsurprisingly, government in chaos, Brexit minister (and junior Brexit minister) resign, meaning the person leading the negotiations on Britain’s behalf for the past 15 and a half months is gone.

Hard to tell whether a hard Brexit is inevitable or not, given that the article is halfway going towards Norway+ and halfway going hard no-deal Brexit, plus people clamoring for Theresa Mays ouster for lack of leadership (which is probably an understatement) and for doing too soft of a Brexit.

On one hand, the resignation shows a massive failure in the diplomacy department and is a signal for a hard Brexit, on the other, it mentions there aren't votes for a withdrawl treaty, which could be either cancelling Brexit or going raw no-deal.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8246 on: July 09, 2018, 02:53:47 am »

Hard to tell whether a hard Brexit is inevitable or not, given that the article is halfway going towards Norway+ and halfway going hard no-deal Brexit,
Problem is that Norway+ isnt on the table. Never has been.

On one hand, the resignation shows a massive failure in the diplomacy department and is a signal for a hard Brexit, on the other, it mentions there aren't votes for a withdrawl treaty, which could be either cancelling Brexit or going raw no-deal
Its not clear at all that Brexit can be cancelled, at least unilaterally. It IS pretty clear however that if by the deadline expires in 2019, the default is hard brexit, probably without transition as the transition period was contingent on agreeing something before that date.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8247 on: July 09, 2018, 03:13:01 am »

Mad respect for Davis. Honestly a massive pity for the Tory party that of every single cabinet member, we could only find one who supported what he believed in, not what secured his career. A pathetic display in disMay

Quote from: Corbyn
David Davis resigning at such a crucial time shows @Theresa_May has no authority left and is incapable of delivering Brexit.

With her Government in chaos, if she clings on, it's clear she's more interested in hanging on for her own sake than serving the people of our country.
Corbyn aint wrong

On one hand, the resignation shows a massive failure in the diplomacy department and is a signal for a hard Brexit, on the other, it mentions there aren't votes for a withdrawl treaty, which could be either cancelling Brexit or going raw no-deal.
Without Davis, Theresa May's slim conservative majority can fail to pass the commons vote for any Brexit legislation, especially if the DUP pull the rug out from under her. What the fuck is Boris doing, the bloody coward, that he hasn't already resigned? Smhtbqhfamalam

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8248 on: July 09, 2018, 03:29:49 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Translation:
Dear current Prime Minister,

I did warn you this was going to happen. I said I'd be willing to take the blame for our government's existence for as long as we delivered on our promise to leave the European Union. It doesn't look like that will happen. You have no plan or strategy for the UK & are going to get us permanently locked in the European Union. You went full retard on Friday. In negotiations you start with small concessions; you started by giving away control of our economy, the UK would be independent in name only. The EU is likely to respond to this by demanding more concessions, especially after you give them the leverage needed to destroy our economy. Of course it is possible you haven't made the classic mistake of doing nothing right, but you'll have to replace me with a suck-milk faced sycophant if you want to just fuck our shit up fam. Thanks for using me,

This is war,
David Davis

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8249 on: July 09, 2018, 06:40:34 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Translation:
Dear current Prime Minister,

I did warn you this was going to happen. I said I'd be willing to take the blame for our government's existence for as long as we delivered on our promise to leave the European Union. It doesn't look like that will happen. You have no plan or strategy for the UK & are going to get us permanently locked in the European Union. You went full retard on Friday. In negotiations you start with small concessions; you started by giving away control of our economy, the UK would be independent in name only. The EU is likely to respond to this by demanding more concessions, especially after you give them the leverage needed to destroy our economy. Of course it is possible you haven't made the classic mistake of doing nothing right, but you'll have to replace me with a suck-milk faced sycophant if you want to just fuck our shit up fam. Thanks for using me,

This is war,
David Davis
...and at the Thames the people of the UK met the invaders, endless ranks of Remainers led by nightmare Eurocrats beneath a dead blue banner with 25 stars. David Davis saw that banner and thought the madness had taken him again, for it seemed that this was what he had been born for, to fight that banner. He sent every arrow at it, straight as his skill and the void would serve, never worrying about the Remainers forcing their way across the Parliament, or the Brexiter MPs resigning to either side of him. It was the Prime Minister that ran him through, before it loped howling for blood deeper into the Customs Union. And as he lay on the bank of the Thames, watching the sky seem to grow dark at noon with the ashes of Brexit, breath coming ever slower, he heard the raspy  voice of Jean Claude Juncker: "I have won again, Lews Therin...."
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 06:50:46 am by ChairmanPoo »
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 793