Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008690 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #8280 on: July 13, 2018, 05:53:42 am »

Of course, Britain isn't exactly showing decorum either, nor trying to maintain a special relationship. Allies don't float mocking balloons of the other's national figurehead - and at the centre of British politics, no less.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8281 on: July 13, 2018, 06:06:26 am »

Well, the balloon isn't a government thing, right? As far as I can't tell, no one in the British government has said or done anything mean to Trump.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8282 on: July 13, 2018, 06:33:36 am »

Lol. Sure they haven't.
Also, Sadiq Khan gave it permission.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8283 on: July 13, 2018, 06:42:07 am »

Th4DwArfY1 is right, we SHOULD crack down on protesters, even in other countries. How DARE they try to say anything negative about OUR president. It really shouldn't be legal to object to our leader in any way, and other countries need to be aware of that. I think we need to nuke the UK.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8284 on: July 13, 2018, 06:47:08 am »

Calm your beans, mate. I'm saying that mocking another nation's leader doesn't bespeak of a special relationship. I'm not saying protest should be banned.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #8285 on: July 13, 2018, 06:49:59 am »

Quite frankly, large parts of Britain don't want a special relationship with Donald Trump. If he's the representative of America that comes over, the only real reaction to that is tell him to fuck right off.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8286 on: July 13, 2018, 06:50:09 am »

Well, the balloon isn't a government thing, right? As far as I can't tell, no one in the British government has said or done anything mean to Trump.
Balloon needed government approval to fly, Sadiq Khan ok'd it, perpetuating Sadiq Khan and Donald Trump's already pre-existing feud. Theresa May condemned Trump for retweeting a Britain First twitter post. Theresa May has not been quiet about her criticisms of Trump, which is unfortunate, because Theresa May and Trump both speak English. Subsequently of all US allies, partners, rivals, London has paradoxically been the last place the US President has visited.

May's White Paper is a softish Brexit and Trump has been anti-EU (remember when Trump offered Macron a trade deal if France left the EU?). I can see why, in his mind international relations are zero-sum, bilateral deals. Small countries outside the EU can be bullied around in the way that an Union of 28 countries cannot. Likewise, a UK after a hard Brexit will be desperate for a trade deal, and he can take advantage of it.
It is not a "softish Brexit," as there is no such thing as a soft or hard Brexit, you either leave the European Union or you do not. There are no two independent nations as closely partnered as the USA and UK, and it's subsequently fucking ridiculous that the USA and UK are not allowed to make a trade deal with one another. I do not fear the Anglosphere, and I highly question your sense of priorities. You fear the USA bullying European nations, but with what leverage? At the end of the day your leaders choose to accept or deny whatever trade deal they make (OH WAIT LOL THEY CAN'T), so in order to avoid such responsibility, you hand over control of your economy, currency, nation to an unaccountable assassin of multilateralism? I'm sure the Greeks, Irish or Slavs right now are feeling wonderful with all the freedom and clout they possess, having subjected themselves to the diktats of foreign powers with legal supremacy... To defeat the foreigner without.

Anyway, so much for Trump's promise that the US would stand by the UK after Brexit, but hey, at this point anyone who believe anything that dude says has only himself to blame.
Oh, he also said that BoJo would made a great Prime Minister. I'm sure May is thrilled to have invited him over. Frankly, it seems that unless you're a bloody autocrat, you won't get Trump to say anything nice about you.
Theresa May is not the United Kingdom. It's the old adage that three quarters of Tory voters support leave, three quarters of Tory MPs support remain. It still boggles me why Theresa May has done so much to retard the Anglo-American partnership in order to appease the unappeasable.

"At the Nato news conference, however, Mr Trump said, “I think they like me a lot in the UK.” A recent YouGov poll found that Mr Trump’s favourability rating in the UK was minus 60."
While Britons really don’t like Donald Trump, they are more likely to back working with him than not - Yougov
If popularity was suffice for function we would not work with 99% of politicians

I wouldn't say it makes her neoliberal, just trying to patch a leaking ship, so to speak, especially since that position is an important one. The fact that she stuck in a loyalist with no qualifications does say quite a lot. Then again, what qualifications did Boris Johnson have?
In British politics, by convention every Prime Minister has been selected from a minister serving as Opposition leader, Home Secretary, Foreign Secretary or Chancellor of the Exchequer - by selecting Jeremy Hunt, Theresa May is knowingly endorsing him as a potential future Prime Minister. You don't make that decision lightly, hence Theresa May being made out of neolibs

The more I think about it, the more I think that what the UK should have done is to immediately go for membership of the EEA, and then once that is done, use the time to negotiate something else and set up the infrastructure needed to replace what the EU did. In effect, use the EEA as the halfway-point.

It would also have had the advantage that people could have had more say on what was the exact goal of Brexit at subsequent elections. You know, vote UKIP or Tory if you want to exit the EEA, Labour if you want to stay in and LibDem if you want to go back in the EU or something depending on the position the various parties take. Because well, the referendum was about leaving the EU, the Brexiters didn't offer an alternative and there were claims all over the place.
The Tory manifesto was clear about leaving the European Economic Area when they promised the EU referendum in the first place, while the Libdems, SNP, Tories, Labour all concurred that voting to leave meant leaving the EEA. What you're suggesting is just revoting until Remain wins. Given the EU's history of ignoring votes until it gets the results it wants, and the ability for the EU to use British money to support the EU's political campaigning, what you suggest clearly benefits only one party and ignores the result of the referendum in its entirety.

Th4DwArfY1 is right, we SHOULD crack down on protesters, even in other countries. How DARE they try to say anything negative about OUR president. It really shouldn't be legal to object to our leader in any way, and other countries need to be aware of that. I think we need to nuke the UK.
THEN CRITICIZE HIM AND NUCLEAR BOMB US ALREADY

FFS I want intelligent debate, not calling a vital partner a stinky poopy butthead. It does not serve us in any way to antagonize a vital ally in such a puerile way, it's virtue signalling of the hollowest stature, to an American faction which made it clear that they do not support us leaving the European Union.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #8287 on: July 13, 2018, 06:53:36 am »

Quote from: Loud Whispers
It's virtue signalling of the hollowest stature.

Sure, let's just sell out our outrage and morality for the sake of a trade deal. Why not? After all what's the point of having morals and standards when it's inconvenient?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:02:17 am by MorleyDev »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8288 on: July 13, 2018, 06:54:16 am »

What reason is there not to fly it? ‘cause it might hurt his feelings? It’s not as though people are flying it just to fly it, the man is a callous fool who thinks he can bully people to get his way. There is literally no reason for him to treat the UK any differently, especially when he knows they’re desperate.

It’s not even as though Trump cares about the UK visit; he’ll spend more time pissing about at his golf course preparing to talk to his bestie ignoring protesters in Scotland than actually schmoozing with politicians.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8289 on: July 13, 2018, 07:03:13 am »

Sure, let's just sell out our outrage and morality for the sake of a trade deal. Why not? After all what's the point of having morals and standards when it's difficult?
Yes, yes, you clearly are the only moral person in the world. How difficult it is for you to be the only person in the world capable of moral outrage, surely a rare quality in these enlightened times.

Or, on the contrary, how about we get off this White Left moral high-horse and actually have some patience & strategy in the foreign policy of our nation. We can work with Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, China, Turkey or Russia, all whilst criticizing them in a dignified manner which does not unnecessarily impede working relations. Yet the moment a vulgar US President comes along - a temporary, fleeting thing, needing toleration for a maximum of 6 more years, and the White Left seeks to destroy a centuries old alliance in order to garner facebook likes over moral outrage.

What reason is there not to fly it? ‘cause it might hurt his feelings? It’s not as though people are flying it just to fly it, the man is a callous fool who thinks he can bully people to get his way. There is literally no reason for him to treat the UK any differently, especially when he knows they’re desperate.
The man attracts sycophants and is easily pleased, while he is soft-skinned and easily insulted. The pettiness of the man should have been to our advantage, it is disappointing how this opportunity was so easily missed over literal shit flinging.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8290 on: July 13, 2018, 07:09:18 am »

lol the way he’s treated his allies and “enemies” means the UK’d be better treated as the latter.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8291 on: July 13, 2018, 07:15:43 am »

I dont understand this faith in Donald Trump. He has been treating close neighbourghs and strategic allies like shit while appeasing Putin and Kim. It's pretty clear he doesnt respect democracy, human rights, or indeed anything, beyond posturing. His interest in Brexit is pretty clear as well: he figures he'll be able to impose a better trade deal on the UK outside the block. For chrissake look at the shit he's pulling out with Canada. You really think this guy is going to bail you out?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8292 on: July 13, 2018, 07:26:32 am »

lol the way he’s treated his allies and “enemies” means the UK’d be better treated as the latter.
Doubtful. In the USA, Clinton and Obama intervened to say they would not support the UK; Trump did, and after he was elected and Leave won the referendum, he kept to that pledge. Attacking the one who supports you on the assumption that they will become your enemy is an inherently self-fulfilling prophecy, the more insults you levy upon them, the more they will view you with hostility. The end result will be that either Trump will decide to drop the UK and cross his fingers that he won't alienate his anglophile support base, or he will place the support of the USA behind a US-friendly party or faction.

I dont understand this faith in Donald Trump. He has been treating close neighbourghs and strategic allies like shit while appeasing Putin and Kim. It's pretty clear he doesnt respect democracy, human rights, or indeed anything, beyond posturing. His interest in Brexit is pretty clear as well: he figures he'll be able to impose a better trade deal on the UK outside the block. For chrissake look at the shit he's pulling out with Canada. You really think this guy is going to bail you out?
It's not faith, it's vision. I desire an Anglo-American trade deal which improves our chances of securing British independence; I have faith that Trump will seek the deal which benefits the US the most, that is unsurprising. If it is equally beneficial, even better, but that is not a vital component of securing independent Britain. Trade deals can be renegotiated at later dates, while we only have one shot at independence. What's worth stressing more is that Trump is temporary. I caution against being so entirely focused on celebrity and individuals that you miss the State Department behind the orange face.

*EDIT
Canada is a perfect example really of how predictable Trump is. Once the Trudeau-Trump rift began, Trump started exacting punitive measures against Canada. And what has the UK learned from this? Call him a poopy baby
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:30:27 am by Loud Whispers »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8293 on: July 13, 2018, 07:31:24 am »

Meh. I don't think he'll bail us - not sure anyone thinks that - but it'd be nice to be able to open talks. After all, he will try to screw us over but it will be in an overt business-like fashion. Juncker and the Eurocrats are the bigger danger. They'll try to screw us as over on mere principle, in a more subtle fashion, and with profit only a delightful bonus.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8294 on: July 13, 2018, 07:33:25 am »

Meh. I don't think he'll bail us - not sure anyone thinks that - but it'd be nice to be able to open talks. After all, he will try to screw us over but it will be in an overt business-like fashion. Juncker and the Eurocrats are the bigger danger. They'll try to screw us as over on mere principle, in a more subtle fashion, and with profit only a delightful bonus.
Pretty much. Trump is trying to secure economic advantage, Juncker actively desires to make an example out of the UK. I don't support abandoning the special relationship, and now of all times is the least appropriate time to consider it.
Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 793