Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 782

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 863908 times)

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove burrito edition
« Reply #3645 on: February 03, 2018, 07:21:25 pm »

Ouf, reminds me of last year when i was naught but a few millimeters off of having a rusty nail driven into my heel. I was shuffling around outside in a narrow area, helping dad build a new side-shed, when i felt something on my heel like a pebble in my shoe. Turns out i had stepped on a little wooden piece with said nail in it sticking out, and it was jammed so far up the heel of my shoe that it could be felt on the inside. It was pretty firmly stuck, what with it having pierced like 2 cm of rubber sole, so thank goodness it didn't quite make it through. :V
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove mongols edition
« Reply #3646 on: February 03, 2018, 08:15:26 pm »

I was doing the Rise of the Mongols scenario in civ 5, when civ 5 had a driver failure problem and I lost it all, I'm pretty sure it wasn't a computer problem because A. Device manager says they're all okay. B. This is an issue Civ 5 is known to have for some people (although I don't know if it's the exact issue, since I also have the problem where the home button, task manager and alt-tab don't work for getting out of Civ 5, meaning I had to log off my computer (thankfully some programs didn't want to shut down so I didn't have to go all the way) to escape) C. I had been noticing an increasing amount of graphical rendering errors in Civ 5 (and to a lesser extent Civ 6) but oddly not usually the same errors very often, and only in those games, meaning it was localized to them, meaning it was probably them.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: February 03, 2018, 08:36:43 pm »

Don't the civ games have autosave  etc? Or did you not have that turned on, or was there save corruption or something?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: February 04, 2018, 08:12:00 am »

I feel I might have made another social faux pas today. In that a friendly acquaintance whom I've been getting to know and start to conversate with over the last couple months told me that he's saving money to buy an engagement ring for the special woman in his life, and I couldn't really think of anything to say besides that rings are expensive, comment on my divorced aunt, and her white gold ring. I think might have accidentally seemed aloof to this important gesture in his life, or disparaging to marriage as a concept.

I really wish I could've related, but it's just something so far out of my worldview that I couldn't muster anything constructive, or even encouraging to say. I might have damaged this friendship with my idiocy.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: February 04, 2018, 08:20:26 am »

Yeah, the guy probably thought that was a bit odd. There's a thing about frame of reference:

"I feel like I'm a rat trapped in a maze".

"Yeah I used to have a pet rat, once, but it died".

The issue (not necessarily a problem with this person) is that the information you chose to pick out wasn't the important information. I've done the same.

Also, the real mistake was to think that you needed to add in your own ring-relevant stuff to the conversation. The best strategy is to just say "oh that's nice" (fills in the space and expresses empathy) then think of a question to ask the other person. Taking a moment to think up a question you could ask them gives you a second to put your thoughts in order.

Another good pattern would be to acknowledge, mention something that's relevant about yourself, then ask a question:

"I live skydiving" => "that's cool, I live sky-diving too, how many times have you been up?"

beats

"I live skydiving" => "I live sky-diving too, I've been up 25 times".

Basically, the second one sounds like a conversation stopper, not a conversation starter. Top tip: be vague then throw it back at the other person. If they want details, they can ask. If not, well, you are gaining more information than they are.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 08:33:50 am by Reelya »

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: February 05, 2018, 06:52:30 am »

It's my birthday! Yayyyy, I'm 20!
... Except I don't feel happy at all for whatever reason.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: February 05, 2018, 09:50:57 am »

I am also an Aquarius. A couple of days from now I will have been breathing the air of this Earth for a quarter-century. A disturbing thought.

That's not why I'm Mildly Sad, though - not yet, anyway, it hasn't really sunk in. No, I've just stayed up late for no real reason and I am supposedly supposed to return to work tomorrow. Was away for a couple of weeks visiting family (and more importantly helping them move house) and now I'll probably have to do extra days to make up for the ones I missed. :-\
Also I'm too broke to afford booze (after that whole interstate trip) and I think my dealer is out of town. Shieeet.
Somehow I've still been in a reasonably good mood for most of the day, though. Actually I think of late, my default mood has become significantly happier than it used to be. Weird.

But tomorrow, tomorrow is quite certain to suck. Why am I not asleep yet? It will probably take me a long time to get to sleep even once I head to bed. I need to get back into the habit of sticking to my goddamn sleep schedule. Ugh. Gonna have to stock up on Monster on my way to work - and shit, that reminds me, I haven't made lunch yet so I guess I'll have to do that in a mad rush in the morning.
Hopefully at least my work clothes on the line are dry by the time I have to scramble into them.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: February 10, 2018, 06:59:37 am »

Double-posting because I am currently drinking cider instead of beer, since the current discounted beer at Liquorland (an Australian liquor store chain, in case you couldn't guess) was $12 instead of the usual $10, and I had just $11 left in my account. Sad days.                                                               
Oh well, at least I had my ID this time.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: February 14, 2018, 04:41:14 am »

Wow, the forum (at least GD) really does seem awful quiet lately. :(

@GO: isn't that standard brain procedure?
Booze is Life for Yoink

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: February 14, 2018, 11:22:59 am »

Well, a lot of the old consistent posters that I used to see have either stopped posting or have ran afoul of the toad and the influx of new posters  haven't been enough to replace them.

In general, it feels as if forums in general have become slow and old fashion; having been supplanted by things like discord
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: February 14, 2018, 11:37:35 am »

Meanwhile, you look like a newbie to me, but I notice to my surprise that we registered in the same year (although opposite ends of that year).

Actually, it'll be six years for me soon. How strange.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: February 14, 2018, 12:15:26 pm »

Meanwhile I've been here for 5 years, an elder being by the standards of most communities, and I'm still one of the newest GD regulars.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 12:19:01 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: February 14, 2018, 12:19:00 pm »

I've been logged in 200 days
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: February 14, 2018, 12:26:27 pm »

Bah, who needs 'logging out' anyway?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 782