Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859497 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #7200 on: March 30, 2020, 08:39:55 am »

Not liking things is the least-brave thing you can do.

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/unpopular_opinions_2x.png

It takes much more guts to admit that you like things, since that gives the assholes an opening to tear you down. (you always have the hipster defence: you're enjoying everything "ironically").

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7201 on: March 30, 2020, 09:32:37 am »

Not liking things is the second least-brave thing you can do.

It takes much more guts to admit that you like things, since that gives the assholes an opening to tear you down. (you always have the hipster defence: you're enjoying everything "ironically").

The hipster defense is the least brave thing you can do, because you're enjoying things while also pretending to not like them. It's the thing you're talking about, plus dishonesty.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7202 on: March 30, 2020, 11:53:37 am »

I was enjoying things while pretending to not like them before it was cool
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7203 on: March 30, 2020, 12:15:59 pm »

Not liking things is the least-brave thing you can do.

My main difficulty here (besides not watching a lot of movies, particularly modern ones) was not knowing what movies I like are considered unpopular. 

Though actually Batman Vs Superman comes to mind.  I'm not actually sure why people despised it, mecha-Batman freakin ruled.  Luther being played by Joker was weird but hardly unenjoyable.  I'd say the plot was contrived, but it was actually internally consistent as far as I remember - not to mention that heroes being manipulated into fighting is EXCEPTIONALLY common in comicbooks.

Anyway searching "movies rated under 50 on rotten tomatoes" (a common enough query to autofill surprisingly quick, people sure love XKCD <3) got me this Reddit thread full of movies I loved.  I didn't verify because the Rotten Tomatoes website is a bit overwhelming, but here are some:

* Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas (49%) - though tbh, I *didn't* like this so much?  It's an undeniable classic, I just didn't enjoy it.

* Hocus Pocus :D

* Swordfish (29%??)

* Last Action Hero (37%)

Though dang, none of those actually count because I was a kid when I saw most of them, and Fear And Loathing is 1998.  Wait... Swordfish was 2001, and I saw it like a decade later, so it does count!

I guess Batman Vs Superman is a better example but the point is taken - I'm kinda scared to stand by it.
(I'd say Ghostbusters remake but that'd be trolling and I never actually saw it)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7204 on: March 30, 2020, 12:36:16 pm »

save martha
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: March 30, 2020, 12:38:40 pm »

The only one of those I saw was Hocus Pocus and I love it. Why would it be rated so low?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7206 on: March 30, 2020, 12:49:14 pm »

I like Hocus Pocus!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7207 on: March 30, 2020, 12:53:19 pm »

Oldest of my goldfish died overnight. Poor chap had been suffering from Dropsy for a few days, so there wasn't much I could do for him.

Sad to see him go, he was the only one left of the original three.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7208 on: March 30, 2020, 02:18:00 pm »

* Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas (49%) - though tbh, I *didn't* like this so much?  It's an undeniable classic, I just didn't enjoy it.

The people who care enough to use rotten tomatoes don't like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? Also, everyone loves Hocus Pocus. It's a great hilarious movie.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7209 on: March 30, 2020, 06:56:09 pm »

Fun fact: Rotten Tomatoes scores are not a mean of all recorded scores, unlike IMDB. They are actually the percentage of all recorded scores that are above 60%. So if the reviews for a movie are half "50% meh" and half "100% masterpiece of modern cinema" it will have an overall score of 50%, not 75%.

In a lot of cases, it's like where most of the reviews are "65% there's some basic amusement from the action I guess but no character depth, plot, etc.", and it ends up having like 95% or something despite the lack of plot, etc., because even all the mediocre reviews get counted as 100%.

End result is that quick and easy mediocre movies get a huge additional boost relative to really good movies, which I'm sure purely coincidentally happens to be very convenient for the motion picture industry.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 07:05:40 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7210 on: March 30, 2020, 09:06:57 pm »

Everyone needs to go re-watch Fear and Loathing. Or, hell, read the book, if you haven't already.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #7211 on: March 31, 2020, 11:02:43 am »

We can’t watch here, this is dwarf country!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7212 on: April 01, 2020, 10:48:56 am »

I got a lot of money in back disability, so I decided to treat myself and build a PC for the first time.

The website told me to call my card issuer to verify the transaction. Whatever, no problem, except I sat on hold for well over an hour before giving up for the night. I'm trying again this morning and I have a feeling I still won't get any answer.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7213 on: April 01, 2020, 03:46:47 pm »

I got a lot of money in back disability, so I decided to treat myself and build a PC for the first time.

The website told me to call my card issuer to verify the transaction. Whatever, no problem, except I sat on hold for well over an hour before giving up for the night. I'm trying again this morning and I have a feeling I still won't get any answer.

Back as in the thing that the spine is part of, or back as in retroactive/they paid late?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7214 on: April 02, 2020, 07:46:48 am »

Retroactive, fortunately.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 779