Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 778

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 855427 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: hot animals edition
« Reply #570 on: April 05, 2016, 07:28:28 pm »

I need something to write.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: April 05, 2016, 08:32:08 pm »

Uh...
30-second 'political ad' for Bernie Sanders?
</halfheartedhomeworkoutsourcingattempt>
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 05, 2016, 08:46:18 pm »

I need something to write.
What kind of writing are we talking about?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: April 05, 2016, 08:50:53 pm »

fiction

preferably a game script, actually, i'm like a thousand times better at programming than writing

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #574 on: April 05, 2016, 09:04:13 pm »

The story of an angsty teen who goes through everyday life and gradually realises that anime isn't real.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 05, 2016, 09:09:06 pm »

Try looking through the FG&R board. While I doubt anyone there would mind you stealing their ideas if you're turning it into a legit game, ask about it and you should be fine. If all else fails just use the storyline from some random book.

ON-TOPIC EDIT: Just realized how annoying having a summer birthday is ::)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:10:48 pm by chaotic skies »
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 05, 2016, 09:09:20 pm »

fiction

preferably a game script, actually, i'm like a thousand times better at programming than writing
What kind of game then?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 05, 2016, 09:13:52 pm »

The story of an angsty teen who goes through everyday life and gradually realises that anime isn't real.

believe it or not that is a really goddamn good idea for a dating sim or similar

my reasoning: anime is probably the single worst thing to get ideas about other human beings from, especially as a teenager. Learning anime isn't real relates to the struggle to get a social identity that doesn't completely put people off, which becomes much harder when your ideas of how women act involve the word "onii-chan"

fiction

What kind of game then?

probably not a dating sim or similar, since those are more write-heavy than gameplay-heavy and i'm waaay more confident in my ability to program game systems than my ability to write stuff
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:17:11 pm by Putnam »

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 05, 2016, 09:30:32 pm »

Here's what I'd do: Come up with a gameplay system (or multiple, whatever you want to do) that is interesting to you. Then build a game around that, add characters to make it interesting, that kind of thing. Then do the story to make everything connect. Or you could make a game and add the story & lore and stuff as a side thing that isn't really required.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 05, 2016, 09:38:37 pm »

You don't own an umbrella?

Someone get this man an umbrella.
I'm sure I'm too late, but do you have any large garbage bags? Cut a hole in the bottom, then wear it as a poncho.

Ummm... thanks for the suggestions you guys, but I kind of value my remaining shreds of dignity a bit more than a mildly-enjoyable early-morning-pizza-roll-experience. :P
I disavowed umbrellas years ago. And I haven't used a raincoat in a long time, either. I used to have a cool jacket that was mostly waterproof and perfect for such situations, but I lost it. Also it kinda smelled like cat pee and was badly in need of a dryclean, that was a bit unpleasant. I still miss it, though.

Normally I wouldn't mind going for a walk in the rain, but the weather's been miserable lately (Winter starting and all that) and I've been battling a cold. I ended up just lying down and sleeping- I actually thought "wait, let's not go to sleep, I should go to the shop anyway," but by then I was comfy and it was too late.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 05, 2016, 09:47:44 pm »

believe it or not that is a really goddamn good idea for a dating sim or similar

my reasoning: anime is probably the single worst thing to get ideas about other human beings from, especially as a teenager. Learning anime isn't real relates to the struggle to get a social identity that doesn't completely put people off, which becomes much harder when your ideas of how women act involve the word "onii-chan"

fiction

What kind of game then?

probably not a dating sim or similar, since those are more write-heavy than gameplay-heavy and i'm waaay more confident in my ability to program game systems than my ability to write stuff
"Not a dating sim" isn't exactly specific :P

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 05, 2016, 09:54:54 pm »

Do an RPG or just do a platformer if you really want to. Most RPGs and platformers have little to no plot that is incredibly necessary to enjoy the game, and they're both heavily based on gameplay.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 05, 2016, 10:00:09 pm »

I think wanting to write a gamescript means plot.

But platformers and RPGs are as Hero Journey as they go.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 06, 2016, 01:42:26 pm »

I hate the stupid arbitrary restrictions that professors place on what counts as "research". Statements by Brian Kernigan, author of The C Programming Language and creator of two other languages? Nope, it doesn't count as research, because it was on YouTube and not on a stupid archaic paper medium, or even better, behind a paywall on a university database.

Some day I want to construct a paper or speech with citations from Mein Kampf, The Dilbert Future, Fanny Hill, and my high school yearbook. They're all books, right? Ink on paper. Fair game for research!
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 06, 2016, 02:42:57 pm »

Got my OSVR Dev Kit in the mail. Set the VR Headset up, was really excited to mess with it, etc.

Unfortunately, it makes me pretty nauseous, doesn't fit my big head, the adjustable diopter doesn't cover my prescription, the only lense position that fits my glasses is also the strongest vision correction setting (it and my glasses have a combined total vision correction of +9 which is really bad for my eyes) and by and large I can't use it.

Thinking about returning it, and just saving up for the HTC Vive. Worst comes to worst, I can just use OSVR software for developing. I just really wanted to support the project; I love what Sensics are doing creating a common standard for VR Hardware and Software, before everyone makes a bunch of proprietary connectors and software markets and crap.

Ah, well.

I hate the stupid arbitrary restrictions that professors place on what counts as "research". Statements by Brian Kernigan, author of The C Programming Language and creator of two other languages? Nope, it doesn't count as research, because it was on YouTube and not on a stupid archaic paper medium, or even better, behind a paywall on a university database.

Yeah. It's a kind of irony that Universities are still stuck in the past in so many ways. Gender and racial disparity in instructors, and outright departmental misogyny are still huge in technical fields, depending on where you go. There's the archaic methodology for assessing which data can be accepted as fact, and which data aren't trusted. The cutthroat way researchers fight to publish first on a new body of research, causing whoever is slower to waste years of work and funding on redundant research. Even the bullying of the peer-review processes that gets would-be Doctors admitted into a the Inner Circle of Academics. Sometimes, the whole Academia thing reminds me of a historic secret society or cult; they've certainly got rituals and ceremonial garbs and oaths enough. I could go on about the absurd spending on College Sports, the unsustainable rising costs despite the modern habit of replacing all the well-paid and knowledgeable tenured professors with poorly-paid adjuncts, and all sorts of other things that just kill me... but this isn't the angry thread, and I need to calm down.

Yeah, I love the science that comes out of it, but I can't help but think some time spent in institutional reforms would help speed things along. And make the bad bits a bit less awful.

Or, you know, we could just put more guns in schools I guess? 9_9
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 03:47:15 pm by Solifuge »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 778