Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 778

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 855379 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove burrito edition
« Reply #3540 on: December 01, 2017, 07:50:22 am »

WIth movember over I got around to shaving, this always reminds me just how fucked up and sensitive my facial skin is xd
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: December 01, 2017, 09:28:58 am »

I have gone through no shave June, no shave July, no shave August, September, and October, just finished no shave November and is now entering no shave December.

My growth is awful and I hate myself for it.
Love, scriver~

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: December 01, 2017, 11:40:01 am »

Is there a reason you're not shaving?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: December 01, 2017, 06:47:18 pm »

My last Pathfinder game here slowly died due to a combination of lack of updates, lack of responses, and a gradual decline in interest. That's fine, sometimes things just don't work out, I'll try something else, someday I'll run something that progresses beyond the second fight or so. That's not what I'm vaguely sad about.

What I'm vaguely sad about is that I cannot seem to pick a theme for my next world building project. One day, I want to do a Thirty Years' War-style setting. The next morning I'll wake up and try to make a late Sengoku/possibly Edo Japan-themed setting. I'll have lunch and get cracking on a Ming China-inspired setting. I'll head to sleep after browsing Wikipedia articles about the Ottoman Empire to help make a setting based on that. It's been these four ideas that keep on juggling around in my head, albeit with smaller ideas (the ones I can remember off the top of my head being Safavid Iran, late 1500s Malaysia and Indonesia with bits of Polynesia, and early modern Ethiopia) tossed in here and there for a couple hours or so.

I'm loathe to try to combine these concepts in any significant way, because I'm terrible at mixing dissonant things, and the reason I keep switching between ideas is because I like the style or feel of each individual source of inspiration. It's a relatively specific time period (roughly 1580 to 1650) I'm interested in, partly because I'm more familiar with it and partly because I don't see that kind of thing written into fantasy settings too often. If nothing else, I take consolation in the fact that the roughly similar magic level and vagueness about the presence and power level of deities means that I can write them all into being part of the same setting, so in a distant way anything I come up with enriches the setting a little bit regardless of what I pick in the end.

I just wish I could stick to an idea, really. My last game died in part because my interest in the early Middle Ages waned; the one before that, because my interest in the Victorian era waned (although, bluntly, I half-assed that setting. Those were the days when I used random world generators... eep.) And I don't want to write a book, because I want an interpersonal experience, where other people interact with the world as I build it, not long after I've finished it.
I've got the opposite problem, massive amounts of worldbuilding, but no skills to DO anything with it, so it just keeps piling up.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: December 01, 2017, 07:43:24 pm »

Is there a reason you're not shaving?

Just depression, pretty much.
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: December 01, 2017, 09:47:37 pm »

Looks like I'm probably not gonna go camping today after all. Not that I particularly wanted to go camping, but it would have been nice to catch up with friends. I just never got around to buying any camping gear or supplies... whoops.

@Scriver: what's wrong with your growth, exactly? I'm sure it's not as bad as mine. The front of my chin remains almost entirely bald whilst big tufts grow out either side of it, and then there's patchy hair across my cheeks and a pretty nasty neckbeard that forms down below. :<
My moustache steadfastly refuses to grow any longer, too. So frustrating. I probably need to shave or trim it to encourage it to grow, but then I'd have to live without it awhile. At least my "soul patch" puts in a half-decent effort.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:50:12 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: December 01, 2017, 10:52:50 pm »

My knee really freakin hurts and I dunt wanna go to work cuz then I have to run around on it all night ;-;
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: December 02, 2017, 08:30:28 am »

It's not kempt. People who have beards but don't care for them look ridiculous.
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: December 03, 2017, 09:03:05 am »

Agreed. Honestly most folks with beards look ridiculous to me... there are plenty of beard styles that look good, but way too many men seem to just go for a basic, un-styled mess just for the sake of having a beard.
If you want a beard, go for it! If a lack of kemptness is your main/only issue with your facial hair I'm sure having a good face rug is well within your reach with a li'l effort. :)

My sad (well, the less complicated of them): my phone's screen seems to have stopped working. Shit.
Hard to find any tips on how to fix it online. Most of the solutions offered for this kind of phone (a HTC Desire) involve turning it off, then pressing a combination of buttons for a factory reset. Without the screen working I can't see the menu that pops up after holding the power button, so I can't really turn it off... I'm not sure the touch screen is working either, since I tried jabbing my finger at it wildly, to no avail.
Perhaps I'll have to wait 'til it runs out of battery, but who knows how long that'll take. I'll probably take it to a repair shop before then, but I doubt I'll be able to afford to have it fixed until next fortnight... and I wanted to start trying to save money anyway, the last thing I need is more unforseen expenses! D:

Maybe I should just grab a cheap $20~ phone like the one I had before and hold out until I... somehow get a job or have a heap of money just fall into my lap allowing me to afford phones 'n' shit without leaving myself cash-strapped.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: December 04, 2017, 12:11:20 am »

An item quote from Heat Signature:  "Please don't murder yourselves on our shields while we're trying to save your lives."

It has the dev's tongue-in-cheek humor, but It actually hit me a little.  I love playing as a fanatical pacifist, in DND or even FPSes like Deus Ex.  And I remember feeling dismay when enemies died to friendly fire, or the environment, or all sorts of things.

I remember that, yet now I just chuckle and feel relief for the easy win.  Feeling nostalgia for being so fantastically idealistic.

(There's also "Okay I'm frustrated trying to save these morons, time to murder them all then reload", but that was always a thing.  Non-"canon" murder is fine, heh.)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: December 04, 2017, 01:21:48 am »

I quite like Offworld's whole ideology of fanatic militarist pacifism. They're called offworld because they're the security force for the nearest planet, and they only get involved in the war because they wanted the people already fighting to stop killing each other. They'd sooner die than kill anyone, but are nonetheless quite violent.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: December 04, 2017, 02:45:35 am »

I'm only a handful of hours in.  So far they seem like the faction I'd most like to face- I'm not sure I even take a health hit when they defeat me- except that I actually can't bring myself to use lethal force against them.  Even with my characters who only have lethal weapons.  It might be because I usually play less-lethal and/or lawful, but it doesn't sit right with me to end a person who uses a stungun.

That said, there are far worse fates than death.  1984 wasn't about wanton murder, after all.
I'm overthinking, but it's a good game.

Also, reminds me of Iji.  Not even just killing via active reflective shield-teching, which I think was "addressed" in a patch.  A purely pacifist run of Iji still involves a lot of people dying.  Not to touch story spoilers, but even a purely pacifist run usually involves plowing through explosives which kill aliens.  Is that on you?  Is there a state of morality where you take responsibility for and try to avoid those deaths?  Is that a *higher* state, or a snobbier one?  Either way it's just another kind of challenge like speedrunning, heh.  Unless you kinda care about the enemies, and want a canon ending with least bloodshed.

... Shit, least-bloodshed literally involves jumping in front of projectiles a LOT and also a lot of disappointment.  In Iji, also in Deus Ex.
And in Thief, heh, I remember trying to jump in front of the arrow of that shopkeeper...

Edit:  I like that they might normally be Marsec (XCOM 3) or similar, but definitely aren't.  Fanatic pacifists is a thing I wish we saw more.  I feel like a lot of games could benefit from more of either.  Noncoms (like in the arcade shooters back in the day) or... less-lethal enemies, where you get to make a fair choice.  And lethal should be easier, because... it is.  But they chose to let you live, at the greater risk of dying themselves.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 02:56:15 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3552 on: December 04, 2017, 04:41:02 am »

My slightly-damaged mouse seems to have become more damaged. I can't hold down the left mouse button consistently any more, which is mildly annoying.

Also, I think water has been temporarily shut off to my house due to rationing. It's a little frustrating.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: December 04, 2017, 10:14:13 am »

That happened to my mouse about a year ago. I levered up the click-y bit, then broke something inside. Which ironically helped it; works fine now.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: December 04, 2017, 04:34:30 pm »

My sad (well, the less complicated of them): my phone's screen seems to have stopped working. Shit.
Good gods, when did I become quite so dependent on my smartphone?
...Probably when I moved somewhere with shoddy internet, to be honest. Still, this is rather torturous. No idea how much longer my internet will keep allowing me to browse the interwebs right now, this is a probably-brief pocket of access in a whole morning of frustrating nonfunctionality. I guess I'll chuck my laptop in my bag when I go out in a bit and hit up the library on my way home.

In other news, it's fucking cold here. Fucksakes, Winter's supposed to be over; wasn't it the "first day of Summer" just a moment ago?! Stupid freak storms and their cold changes. Also I washed my doona after the cat piss incident and it's still drying so I just... lay down covered with warm clothes and shivered. I have something of a manchester shortage. And a furniture shortage. And a working phone shortage...   

Edit: Now I can smell the pie my housemate is cooking and it is making me fucking hungry. Yeaaargh.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 05:56:30 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 778