Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 778

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 855448 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #7530 on: June 04, 2020, 11:53:15 pm »

I was referring to Iduno, in a joking manner.
I wish I know when jokes are said. I like riddles better than jokes, riddles are puzzles within a sentence, and are often easier to suds out from seriousness than jokes can be. Jokes are fun, too, I guess what I’m saying is I’m still learning jokes/sarcasm/satire
I know quite a few people who, understandably, have trouble discerning when something someone said was meant to be serious or non-serious. I’d give you advice on how to tell them apart, but an important part of telling the difference is based around unspoken communication, tone of voice, body language, all of which fail to translate into a purely text-based medium such as a forum. I suppose one way could be to look out for things that are blatantly contradictory, impossible, illogical, unhelpful in the context, or just stupid, but in the world we live in that could just as easily apply to someone being dead serious, and Humans are inconsistent and stupid, and humour is inconsistent and deliberately stupid. If this is incoherent or all obvious, I apologise. I should really add that disclamer to my sigtext one day.
I suppose my follow up question is why are we humans so inconsistent in some things (like humor), but very consistent in other things (such as wars, all of the time, between groups of humans), like, I know the methods of war vary, but the fact we are still consistently fighting amongst each other. I hope the intelligences we build don’t make these same mistakes, like fighting amongst themselves, enriching themselves at others’ expense...

If the AIs have limited resource access and the need for resources (computing time, host hardware, electrical infrastructure, influence on other intelligences...) it is quite likely the same conflicts will arise.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7531 on: June 05, 2020, 03:04:09 am »

It's not even enough to simply not program it. Because AI adapt and learn, pretty soon one would figure out that it just makes sense to attack Cortana.

We'd need to explicitly program against it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7532 on: June 05, 2020, 07:45:19 am »

On the topic of night shifts, what fucks me up the most is the duration, since we're on a week long rotation. So just as I get used to the shitty sleep schedule I get kicked back into the morning shift and basically have to wake up at what is at that moment my go-to-bed time. Tho in proper fuck-you style of life they just let us know that they'd be shutting down the night shift again (after having it run for two weeks for the first time since this whole corona thing started), I'm guessing they'll be using this excuse to not bump our pay back up which is a nice reason for me to tell them to sod off finally as I was mostly just waiting for a goddamn excuse at this point.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7533 on: June 05, 2020, 08:54:41 am »

On the topic of night shifts, what fucks me up the most is the duration, since we're on a week long rotation. So just as I get used to the shitty sleep schedule I get kicked back into the morning shift and basically have to wake up at what is at that moment my go-to-bed time. Tho in proper fuck-you style of life they just let us know that they'd be shutting down the night shift again (after having it run for two weeks for the first time since this whole corona thing started), I'm guessing they'll be using this excuse to not bump our pay back up which is a nice reason for me to tell them to sod off finally as I was mostly just waiting for a goddamn excuse at this point.
It sounds like the people running things don’t understand or don’t care about the sleep schedules of workers. Maybe if they go some time without sleep, they’ll understand how important it is and realize that sleep is important for human workers. I’ve actually had a week during high school where I could barely sleep. During that sleep deprived week I noticed the following: the days blended together, I was unsure of what day it was or what day things happened on, I would forget what people say right after they say them, sometimes I’d get confused on where I was/what classroom I was in...I got sleep again at some point. Am still unsure why sleep that week was difficult. I don’t remember any stress or anything, maybe I accidentally subconsciously wondered what lack of sleep would do? The point is sleep is important, and people that work with people should realize this. Those on night shift and are used to the night shift sleep schedule should be allowed to stay on their sleeping schedule, while those on morning shift should stay on their sleep schedule, that way everyone gets the sleep they need.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7534 on: June 05, 2020, 10:09:44 am »

Yeah they don't really care much. The rate is higher for the night shift but it still doesn't make it worth it. And you gotta have shift rotation, otherwise someone would be stuck in third shift permanently and even if you do get used to it it's still a shitty work time.

And don't even get me started on their plans to introduce a fourth shift to enable non-stop production, because that would mean you'd switch shifts every 2 goddamn days with a 2 day break after a full rotation (and even that wouldn't be 2 full days since you'd technically end your night shift on the first of your 'free' days thus losing a good chunk of it). And that's pretty much the hard-limit on me working there, I can take shitty shifts and occasional pay-cuts due to external reasons but that shit is not at all workable for me. Because all the bloody money in the world ain't worth it if you're just a fucking zombie all the time.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7535 on: June 05, 2020, 10:13:38 am »

If you and other workers quit, and statereasons for quitting, it is hoped the managers will try making things better for the remaining and future workers. However, unfortunately some are resistant to recognizing and learning from mistakes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7536 on: June 06, 2020, 12:58:31 am »

Yeah they don't really care much. The rate is higher for the night shift but it still doesn't make it worth it. And you gotta have shift rotation, otherwise someone would be stuck in third shift permanently and even if you do get used to it it's still a shitty work time.

And don't even get me started on their plans to introduce a fourth shift to enable non-stop production, because that would mean you'd switch shifts every 2 goddamn days with a 2 day break after a full rotation (and even that wouldn't be 2 full days since you'd technically end your night shift on the first of your 'free' days thus losing a good chunk of it). And that's pretty much the hard-limit on me working there, I can take shitty shifts and occasional pay-cuts due to external reasons but that shit is not at all workable for me. Because all the bloody money in the world ain't worth it if you're just a fucking zombie all the time.

That sounds dumb. You could avoid that merely by starting each rotation on the late shift, and ending it on the early shift. That gives you more weekend time to rest and no loss of hours.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 01:02:49 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7537 on: June 06, 2020, 01:34:17 am »

I wanted to learn more about the author of a book I just started reading (The Milagro Beanfield War), but his Wikipedia page is barebones and there's some well-known, modern-day hack journalist with the same name, so trying to find info anywhere else is a real pain.   

...Hmm, on his website he addresses the other dude with his name and describes him as "a great writer", so either there's something cooked about this guy as well or he was just being overly diplomatic at the time. Oh, yep, reading the biography page, he sounds like a bit of a gronk.
Sure, a lot of good books are probably written by gronks yet can still be enjoyed, but now I'll have to decide whether my reading time is better spent elsewhere. I have a very long to-read list, after all - I'm probably better off being picky.   

Yes, I started this post being upset about a lack of info, found that info partway through, and am now upset about the info itself instead.   
Might as well still post it. >.>   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7538 on: June 06, 2020, 09:00:47 am »

So I looked up groin, and it’s, according toWikipedia, a pseudonym for a painter whose works are collected by museums. Can you clarify what you mean when the term is used?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7539 on: June 06, 2020, 11:02:50 am »

Who are you talking to, and can you link the article?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7540 on: June 06, 2020, 11:10:59 am »

So I looked up groin, and it’s, according toWikipedia, a pseudonym for a painter whose works are collected by museums. Can you clarify what you mean when the term is used?
Who are you talking to, and can you link the article?
Stupid autocorrupt
It was supposed to be gronk
I wanted to learn more about the author of a book I just started reading (The Milagro Beanfield War), but his Wikipedia page is barebones and there's some well-known, modern-day hack journalist with the same name, so trying to find info anywhere else is a real pain.   

...Hmm, on his website he addresses the other dude with his name and describes him as "a great writer", so either there's something cooked about this guy as well or he was just being overly diplomatic at the time. Oh, yep, reading the biography page, he sounds like a bit of a gronk.
Sure, a lot of good books are probably written by gronks yet can still be enjoyed, but now I'll have to decide whether my reading time is better spent elsewhere. I have a very long to-read list, after all - I'm probably better off being picky.   

Yes, I started this post being upset about a lack of info, found that info partway through, and am now upset about the info itself instead.   
Might as well still post it. >.>   

Here’s Gronk. Stupid autocorrect thinking it knows what I’m saying, adding semicolon t to contractions
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 11:48:20 am by Naturegirl1999 »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7541 on: June 06, 2020, 11:58:58 am »

I'm not sure what your point is then. "Gronk" just happens to be the nickname of that artist, but it's not like the word "means" that. It's also the nickname of an athlete, and has slang meanings in some places.

Anyone can just say their nickname is anything they like, it really doesn't confer it the quality of counting as a definition of the word. I knew a guy in Sydney (who would be referred to as a "gronk" in Australian slang) who went by the self-selected nickname "Matrix". That doesn't mean the definition of Matrix is that idiot from Sydney.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 12:04:00 pm by Reelya »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7542 on: June 06, 2020, 12:02:29 pm »

I'm not sure what your point is then. "Gronk" just happens to be the nickname of that artist, but it's not like the word "means" that. It's also the nickname of an athlete, and has slang meanings in some places.

Anyone can just say their nickname is anything they like, it really doesn't confer it the quality of counting as a definition of the word. I knew a guy in Sydney (who would be referred to as a "gronk" in Australian slang) who went by the self-selected nickname "Matrix". That doesn't mean the definition of Matrix is that idiot from Sydney.
I’m asking what you mean when someone is referred to as a gronk. I didn’t think the nickname was the meaning. What do you mean when the writer is a gronk? What does it mean?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7543 on: June 06, 2020, 12:04:20 pm »

Google it.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gronk

But I doubt 99% of the people on the planet ever use the word gronk at all. There is technically a meaning in local slang here, but I doubt I've ever used it to refer to anyone.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 12:06:20 pm by Reelya »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7544 on: June 06, 2020, 12:06:03 pm »

Thanks, I used “look up” on the IPad and it clearly didn’t have the same results as Google, which pointed me to the Urban Dictionary. Sorry for the derail
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 778