Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859528 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #7980 on: August 05, 2020, 05:14:45 pm »

The thing is, plenty of people say they KNOW their religion is true based on concrete things. Cosmological argument, claimed miracles (not including prayer because that's usually made unfalsifiable, and thus non-concrete), etc. Would that make it not a belief, even if the alleged connection to reality doesn't actually check out (disconfirmed miracles, cosmological argument not actually being valid)?

A small point on that one, in Richard Dawkin's film he points out that all miraculous healing type stuff is all stuff that could have gotten better by itself or things we can actually cure. Like, God took your acne away or something. Very few regrown fingers or eyes for example.

It's one of those things where you can actually ask "are those the examples you're actually going with? If so, that's actually good evidence that you don't have any better evidence".

Another example is from Dave Gorman's show, he points out a specific claim that a company is "in the top 2" in it's field. Now, that's a very specific claim right there. Maybe they're first. But they chose to go with "in the top 2" instead. Which basically proves they're #2 and not #1 despite it not being specifically stated. Like, if a stronger claim is possible but the weaker claim is what they went with, that generally disproves that evidence for the stronger claim exists.

It's the same with general arguments, if someone makes a statement, that gets challenged, and then they scrape all of google for evidence, but then lay out extremely weak evidence that can easily be explained some other way (usually with less caveats and assumptions), that's actually good evidence that the idea isn't actually supported at all. "Excessive specificity" is one give away: if a claim held generally then they wouldn't need to cherry pick. The top search results would generally be overflowing with good evidence for a validated claim not this stuff where you need to squint to see an effect or they've had to cherry pick the specificity in some obvious way to claim applicability.

So back to "miracle cures", they're always things that could be explained as having gotten better by themselves, they never involve any obvious breach of the laws of physics. So rather than someone arraying you with hundreds of accounts of said miracle cures making the claim more believable, they actually make it less believable, since if you give me 1000 examples and all of them have a plausible non-miraculous explanation, that makes the claim that any miracles exist far less likely.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 05:28:42 pm by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7981 on: August 05, 2020, 05:27:42 pm »

Dont worry too much Naxza. I am going back to bed.

I just don't like arguments made from ambiguity.  I have no interest in continuing further from the disambiguation I provided.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7982 on: August 05, 2020, 05:29:14 pm »

We're only having the discussion because of Eschar's comment.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7983 on: August 05, 2020, 05:30:58 pm »

This has been a very unpleasant week.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7984 on: August 05, 2020, 05:36:22 pm »

Yes it has.  I had to deal with some drunken belligerent people at work the night before last.  They of course, refused to wear masks, and were trying to get in and out of the building without being screened-- trying to abuse the fact that they were family members of a dying resident.

The notion that they still need to follow covid screening protocols, and enter and exit only through the designated entrances and exits, only infuriated them (because they were drunk, and continued getting more drunk as the night progressed.)

Fun times to be had by all.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7985 on: August 05, 2020, 06:11:31 pm »

The thing is, plenty of people say they KNOW their religion is true based on concrete things. Cosmological argument, claimed miracles (not including prayer because that's usually made unfalsifiable, and thus non-concrete), etc. Would that make it not a belief, even if the alleged connection to reality doesn't actually check out (disconfirmed miracles, cosmological argument not actually being valid)?

To me the most compelling arguments involving the coexistence of science and religion are those of simple perspective. God is basically described as existing outside of time, or at least on a different scale of time. Evolution works fine with that concept of creation. The Big Bang Theory is a scientific explanation for the origin of the universe that involves all things relatively-spontaneously coming into existence at the same time. These things do not conflict with the biblical concept of creation. They just conflict with what Sunday School has been teaching for the last 50 years.

A small point on that one, in Richard Dawkin's film he points out that all miraculous healing type stuff is all stuff that could have gotten better by itself or things we can actually cure. Like, God took your acne away or something. Very few regrown fingers or eyes for example.

So like I don't want to start another religion thing, because I'm not currently feeling up to it tbh, but presuming you're talking about biblical examples what about the retroactive curing of leprosy, long-term blindness, and also death? I'm probably misunderstanding your point.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7986 on: August 05, 2020, 06:34:19 pm »

I think he means modern-day people claiming to have been cured/curing others by faith/prayer/supernatural means.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #7987 on: August 05, 2020, 06:34:56 pm »

This has been a very unpleasant week.
And it’s only Wensday  :-\
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7988 on: August 05, 2020, 06:38:47 pm »

I think he means modern-day people claiming to have been cured/curing others by faith/prayer/supernatural means.

This makes more sense.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7989 on: August 05, 2020, 06:46:45 pm »

So like I don't want to start another religion thing, because I'm not currently feeling up to it tbh, but presuming you're talking about biblical examples what about the retroactive curing of leprosy, long-term blindness, and also death? I'm probably misunderstanding your point.

No I'm not talking about that, nor was Dawkins, he was talking about specifically the records the Catholic church keeps about confirmed miracles, and how they're all decidedly not-miraculous. So the point was specifically about what an established church has collected as what it claims is evidential proof of miracles that can be checked..

Wwhenever it's something that can be checked suddenly it's harder to find those miracles. The fact that the only miraculous miracles are in a book that is impossible to verify kind of reinforces the point.

A claim in the bible is not the type of one that's relevant here, because that's just what some book says and you cannot confirm whether they made that up. And I'm sure you'd agree all religions have books worth of made-up stuff, even if you exclude your own religion from that, and say the things in that book aren't made up.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 06:55:31 pm by Reelya »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7990 on: August 05, 2020, 06:51:30 pm »

Ah, I understand now. Yes. Thank you for clarifying.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #7991 on: August 05, 2020, 07:34:03 pm »

Also, coexistence of science and religion wasn't exactly what I was talking about, more the alleged grounds for the claim that x religion is true.

Of course, see, this'll all be irrelevant once Mercer arrives. We're probably not terribly far along the Ascent, but we can still honorably grasp the handles of empathy. We all agree Mercer is the one true teacher, riiight?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 07:38:12 pm by Eschar »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7992 on: August 05, 2020, 08:00:19 pm »

So what order does it go in?

I'm guessing The Storm => The Great Awakening => The Ascent

If they skip things and go straight to The Ascent a lot of people are going to be pissed that they missed out on the rotten tomato and egg throwing stage of The Storm.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7993 on: August 05, 2020, 08:19:27 pm »

Also, coexistence of science and religion wasn't exactly what I was talking about, more the alleged grounds for the claim that x religion is true.

Of course, see, this'll all be irrelevant once Mercer arrives. We're probably not terribly far along the Ascent, but we can still honorably grasp the handles of empathy. We all agree Mercer is the one true teacher, riiight?

Who' s mercer?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7994 on: August 05, 2020, 08:41:35 pm »

Who' s mercer?

Mercer Frey.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 779