Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859537 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #8205 on: September 18, 2020, 10:17:53 pm »

My favorite baseball team sucks. They've sucked for a long, long time, and that's never stopped me from watching them, but still. Why can't you be good for a while, Mariners?
Look on the bright side -- all of baseball sucks.  :P
It's all the tedium of golf, but with more people so it takes longer.
I enjoy the bursts of spectacle between the tedium, same with other sports. I'm trapped in the chair and/or on crutches for quite a while, so I may as well relax, right?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8206 on: September 18, 2020, 10:22:38 pm »

My favorite baseball team sucks. They've sucked for a long, long time, and that's never stopped me from watching them, but still. Why can't you be good for a while, Mariners?
I enjoy the bursts of spectacle between the tedium, same with other sports. I'm trapped in the chair and/or on crutches for quite a while, so I may as well relax, right?
Dude, WTH? You back to pitfighting or something?  :(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8207 on: September 19, 2020, 02:45:57 pm »

Dude, WTH? You back to pitfighting or something?  :(
Nah. I just had surgery #4 on my spine, connecting my right SI joint to my pelvis permanently. After 6 weeks on crutches (toe touch only, no weight bearing,) I do physical therapy (yet again,) and then we do the other side, so that my tailbone will be in a fixed position forever. Then after 6 weeks of crutches for that side, we do an ACDF fusion in my neck.

I'm very much retired from fighting. It literally broke me.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8208 on: September 19, 2020, 07:17:37 pm »

Uh, dude, I think you're thinking of cricket.   
Baseball is actually entertaining to watch, and I'm pretty sure it's fun to play, too.   

My Upset: I am mondo tired right now. Been a few days of hair-raising, kitten-raising edge-of-seat stuff. Before last night, two nights in a row I was getting up every two hours to feed the kitten. Now the mother cat is doing a better job of feeding her herself, but it's still nerve wracking. Also my sleep schedule is obviously just very battered in general after a couple nights of that.   
Think I'm gonna go back to bed. Hopefully the kitten (who is staying in my room) will let me know if she needs anything.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8209 on: September 19, 2020, 07:26:42 pm »

Cricket is much more interesting than baseball because, at least in limited overs matches, shit actually happens. Though I say that as someone whose biggest experience of cricket has been video games.

Baseball is described as 30 minutes of action stretched over 3 hours, though I forget by whom. The odd thing is the game also goes by faster if nothing is happening.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8210 on: September 19, 2020, 07:38:20 pm »

Nah. You wrong. Nothing happens in cricket. A bunch of dudes in identical outfits running back and forth down a straight line. They can't even throw the damn ball properly. And a single game of this monstrosity can and will drag on for fucking days!   
Especially damning is the fact that cricket isn't even fun to play. And I'm not just saying that as someone with a tendency to suck at sports, no, I always sucked at soccer, basketball, badminton, bowling and such as well, but they were at least still fun to play for the sake of playing.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8211 on: September 19, 2020, 07:45:53 pm »

Nah. You wrong. Nothing happens in cricket. A bunch of dudes in identical outfits running back and forth down a straight line. They can't even throw the damn ball properly. And a single game of this monstrosity can and will drag on for fucking days!   
Especially damning is the fact that cricket isn't even fun to play. And I'm not just saying that as someone with a tendency to suck at sports, no, I always sucked at soccer, basketball, badminton, bowling and such as well, but they were at least still fun to play for the sake of playing.   

Test cricket is bananas, I will accept, because anything that lasts five days and can still end a draw is by definition stupid, hence my narrowing interesting cricket to limited overs stuff. The batsman having to hit the ball is infinitely more interesting than watching someone looking at a ball being thrown really hard at them, and sometimes he might swing at it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8212 on: September 20, 2020, 12:55:59 am »

I think the conclusion to draw here is that increasingly performative (not to mention commercial) professional sports are boring in general, but games where people are still trying to have fun in the spirit of rules devised 100+ years ago by people who were also trying to have fun are still fun.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8213 on: September 20, 2020, 01:07:41 am »

The difference is that baseball was a game played between people from different cities in America in the railroad era, whereas test cricket was a game played between people from different continents in the era of steam ships. Australia to England in 1914 took around 4-6 weeks so nobody would go over there and only play for a day.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8214 on: September 20, 2020, 02:45:10 am »

I feel quite a bit of ennui
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8215 on: September 20, 2020, 03:34:07 am »

I went to a clinic to get a health checkup (because university needs you to have one), and I cycled my way there. I'm almost entirely fine.

Now I'm gonna be stuck here for a while because I just had to come in right before a massive rainstorm, and the weather forecast predicts that it's going to last 3 - 4 hours. I'd call my parents right now, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to fit my full-size mountain bike in the car. I don't think it's a good idea to leave it either, because leaving a bike out in public (even with a lock) is asking for it to be stolen. Goddamnit.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8216 on: September 20, 2020, 03:36:57 am »

Ask you parents to bring a wrench with them, or whatever tools your bike needs to take the wheels off. It should then fit in most cars, one way or another.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8217 on: September 20, 2020, 04:19:37 am »

I managed to get out of there. The rain died down a bit, so I hauled ass on my bike back home. Thank God for that. (It's not that I hate the place, I just dislike being in public with nothing to do.)

On an unrelated sidenote, the weather app I use seems to be crapping out very often and not showing weather info. If I try looking up a nearby city, it still craps out. Basically for my entire country, it craps out. Dunno what's happening there.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 04:24:20 am by methylatedspirit »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8218 on: September 20, 2020, 09:14:42 am »

Gods, life is such a gosh dang chore.   
I have enough imaginary/self-inflicted problems courtesy of my defective headmeats, I don't need actual real-world nonsense to pile up on top of that. But it does. Especially lately. All the damn time. My room has become a sick cat sanctuary and there are food dishes everywhere and crumbs of kitty litter and the litter tray itself needs emptying tomorrow and I'm wondering if I'm gonna contract toxoplasmosis or however the frick you spell it overnight and of course the whole thing stinks, plus I have to keep all the adjoining doors shut to contain unruly vulnerable kittens including the doorway I usually hang my chin-up bar in so even if I did have time to exercise during all this I'd have all sorts of extra inconvenience to deal with.   

Plus, the flea problem that contributed to almost wiping out the entire litter of said kittens is insanely hard to wipe out. You'd have to treat every animal in the house more-or-less simultaneously, as well as changing/burning their bedding and basically any other fabric they've come in contact with. And then, even if somehow you did free the entire house of fleas, one of the outside critters would bring more in sooner or later and the whole process would begin again. Ugh.   
And, of course, who's the one who would have to make the Herculean effort to arrange this hypothetical house-wide deep clean? Me, the person who is chronically sleep-deprived, squeamish and just cripplingly lazy by nature to begin with. So I have the stress of all these animal-related issues, plus an all-encompassing feeling of general purpose guilt that they ain't dealt with already.   

...Nothing new there, I suppose. Still, I just wanna lie on the floor for a few hours. Oh yeah, and I got my hearing aids repaired a couple of days ago (which is neat although I was no longer used to using them), but now I can't find the poke-y bend-y things to clean them with so the left one sounds all muffled already.   
I would probably carrying on whining here for a while but I have run out of steam. I'mma go lie on the floor. Peace out.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8219 on: September 21, 2020, 04:49:17 am »

They were good for "a while"!
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 779