Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Play with your adventurer in fortress mode  (Read 7975 times)

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
Play with your adventurer in fortress mode
« on: February 28, 2016, 05:26:46 am »

So.
The other day, I played an (elven) adventurer for a little while, trying to write some necromancy book.
I ended up retiring him in one of my forts. And playing the fort again.
After that, I discovered that I could control the elf as one of my dwarf in fortress mode.

I then decided to !!Science!! the mechanics of getting an adventurer of any race in your fort.
The point of this thread is to know what you need to do to get a playable adventurer in fortress mode, and what you can do with him.
I don't think this thread got discussed before, if so, let me know.

There is a tldr; at the end of the post... just in case of lazyness.

Let's get started !

---------------
- Experiments -
---------------

The world I genned was a small/high civ. count/200 years world. So hopefully, there are many mixed-races civilisations.
I played one month in fortress mode to get things started, and retired for a while.
The dwarven civ I played was The Still Volcano.

On the adventurer intro screen, I can play as a Dwarf, a Human, an Elf, a Goblin or any Intelligent wilderness creature.
For every race, you have to choose which civilisation you're from.
In my world, I can always choose The Still Volcano, except for the Elves (because I guess The Still Volcano has not conquered any elven civ. so far, or something like that).

For the experiment, I played every possible race, with every civ. possible.
Here are the experiments :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

----------
- Results -
----------

From a retired adventurer, you can only get two results :
  • Your adventurer is completely controlable. Exactly like your usual dwarf.
  • Your adventurer is, and will forever be, "like a peasant with hauling labors" (same as the peasant migrants).

The race of your adventurer doesn't matter. What matters the most is the civilisation your adventurer is from.
  • If at character creation, your starting location is your retired fortress, you will get result 1.
  • If not, you will get result 2. Obviously, when you're from a "not your fort civilisation" civ, you always get result 2.

Random facts :
- You get items your adventurer had on him. He will automatically drop most of them (not clothes).
- This can be an easy way to get legendary status early on. Just imagine your starting seven sparring with a Legendary wrestler Elephant-man :P
- If the adventurer is hungry/thirsty/etc, when you leave. He will still be in fortress mode.
  So you should make your adventurer drink his water before retiring, I had an adventurer die of thirst because of that.
- Goblins or humans cannot craft foreign object, like morningstars.
- Creatures not the size of dwarves will craft clothing according to their own size.
- You can assign an elf to cut down trees. He won't argue.

Further !!SCIENCE!! needed for :
- Can you make the adventurers breed ? => Adventurers can't breed.
- Will the wildlife attack an elf ? Elves are "wildlife friendly", so I may need to try that.
- Can you retire an undead adventurer and control him ? => Turns out you can't. Undead adventurers cannot retire.

---------
- TLDR; -
---------

Ok, so you want to control your adventurer in fort mode ? At character creation time, when you choose your starting location, choose your retired fortress. Then make your adventurer rest here for a while. Reclaim the fort. You got it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 12:22:23 pm by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Play with your adventurer in fortress mode
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 05:57:00 am »

This is awesome.  :D

Now you just need to bring a book with the secrets of life and death to your fort and see if you can get it added to the library.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 06:14:02 am »

This is awesome.  :D

Now you just need to bring a book with the secrets of life and death to your fort and see if you can get it added to the library.

I've been trying to do this for a while. There were bugs, then an adventurer got killed while I was making my fort, but one day, I'll get it to work.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 06:54:16 am »

*Kicks down door to this thread*

hi.

We been asking the same question about adventurers being able to breed in the other board also been doing the whole fort mode crossover bit as well.

So far adventurers are stunted in many aspects a dwarf would normally have like object interests and occupations and what not. So that challenge is HELL to hard to pull off.
so far you got most of the stuff that discovered about adventurers moved in to forts like Civ types need to be the same not races now and elves won't care about making or chopping down trees and stuff.

here some other stuff I learn, 1 being you can retire ANYWHERE on the fort even places your dwarves have never gone to like HFS or the Caverns and probably be able to build and settle in that area.
do note doing so won't grant you access to mining or wood cutting just building stuff and farming. companions will be listed as 'hostile' but still 'companions' to your adventurer relationship status.
uhh adventurers can make friends and take up noble jobs which will transfer over to adventurer mode as you can by moving up on the noble ladder ask folks to be your military dwarf which means you could with some luck and RNG migrate (Anyone who can talk) to your fort as military.

bird people will get stuck up trees learn to use minecarts walls and ramps to easily get them out also to make nice roads into the woodlands.
certain animalpeople have farmer workshop accesses due to being part of that animal like hump Camels or All the birdmen for eggs, I think any animal that gives milk means their animal man versions will do so too if you're lucky to world gen the biome that would have one.

Companions could be told to wait in adventure mode and that would be transfer over to fort mode, also you can cage trap friendly 'hostile' units which means you could just lock up a bunch of companions you pulled from a bandit camp to fill dwarven arenas.

if you leave a starved adventurer into a fort they will upon returning to fort mode Die after spending 2 weeks with no food.

playing mods that create crazy magical adventurers and moving them to a fort means !!FUN!!

oh one more thing I think this subforum proven necromancy just makes the dwarves immortal but also have their zombie minions pissed off and hostile to them.
probably due to Fort mode AI is different than Adventure mode AI and those zombies aren't apart of any civ when spawn.
that said you can tell them to wait in adventure mode and they will do so in fort mode making good scarecrows and decoys.
needs to be tested.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 06:57:36 am by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 07:14:41 am »

Yeah... I decided just to not experiment with the companions too much.
Companions in general is a wide subject. The way I see it, companions are not retired when your adventurer does, so, they appear as hostile. I like the idea to use them to fill your arena though :) With cunning trap design, you could use a reknown adventurer to continuously bring followers to your fort and trap them ^^

I am setting up a fortress with 20 humans (10males, 10 females) at the moment, to figure out how their breeding work.
I'll update the thread when new things happen.
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 07:35:34 am »

Yeah... I decided just to not experiment with the companions too much.
Companions in general is a wide subject. The way I see it, companions are not retired when your adventurer does, so, they appear as hostile. I like the idea to use them to fill your arena though :) With cunning trap design, you could use a reknown adventurer to continuously bring followers to your fort and trap them ^^

I am setting up a fortress with 20 humans (10males, 10 females) at the moment, to figure out how their breeding work.
uhh breeding won't really work through relationships, like I tried this WAY back with modding and hacking adventurers into fort mode(to test breeding... long story) and the issue comes from it is adventurers don't have the traits needed to form relationships further than friends. like if someone dive more into how dwarves romance they could shed more light into this, though what I notice is dwarves who share 1 or more interest in items like say spears will rise up to Lovers.
now if you got them via PETS you might have a chance.

edit: that said I haven't tested what Companions relationship would work on 2 fort citizens more importantly 2 adventurers.
like there's loads of stuff that seem to spark different relationship comments in fort mode if you do different talk dialog options like good for business was a new one I didn't think was possible, that can pop up if you trade a item with anyone from the fort.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 07:51:21 am by Rumrusher »
"body swapping and YOU!"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 08:28:42 am »

Adventurers not from your fortress civ will be completely controllable, labours, military career, etc if you join the fortress before retiring.

Talk to the Captain of the Guard to join the military, talk to the mayor to join as an entertainer. Requires previous experience, and a performance in front of the mayor for the latter.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 08:41:23 am »

Adventurers not from your fortress civ will be completely controllable, labours, military career, etc if you join the fortress before retiring.

Talk to the Captain of the Guard to join the military, talk to the mayor to join as an entertainer. Requires previous experience, and a performance in front of the mayor for the latter.
yeah but those guys can turn you down and if you build an adventurer not made for that you could end up having to play more of the game to do one thing a simple background setting from the start could do.
I mean it works but MAN it's like Becoming a Fantasy US citizen.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 09:28:28 am »

yeah but those guys can turn you down and if you build an adventurer not made for that you could end up having to play more of the game to do one thing a simple background setting from the start could do.
An adventurer who can neither fight, nor dance? That's kind of rare. Anyhow, was just pointing it out. When you actually play the game it's nice to know what's possible. That's kind of the point of !Science!

An elephant man who leaves his human town due to bigotry, wanders the world and finally finds a home amongst dwarves makes for a more interesting story than an elephant man raised amongst dwarves retires amongst dwarves.

--edit
And knowing that this is actually possible opens up avenues for more Science. For example, if you make real goblins from goblin civs playable, then retire in a fortress as a full citizen, what will happen? Will he murder people every so often? Can he butcher sentients? Do sieges spark loyalty cascades? Lots of Fun to be discovered there.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 09:37:23 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 11:25:05 am »

Adventurers are asexual, it is hardcoded. Only way I can think of to get it working is to use DFHack to flip the orientation flags.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 02:20:47 pm »

An adventurer who can neither fight, nor dance? That's kind of rare. Anyhow, was just pointing it out. When you actually play the game it's nice to know what's possible. That's kind of the point of !Science!

An elephant man who leaves his human town due to bigotry, wanders the world and finally finds a home amongst dwarves makes for a more interesting story than an elephant man raised amongst dwarves retires amongst dwarves.

--edit
And knowing that this is actually possible opens up avenues for more Science. For example, if you make real goblins from goblin civs playable, then retire in a fortress as a full citizen, what will happen? Will he murder people every so often? Can he butcher sentients? Do sieges spark loyalty cascades? Lots of Fun to be discovered there.
like due to some cross friendliness of some civs This already happen in vanilla.
like I usually find which dwarf civ holds goblins so I can just start at my retired site as one then move that goblin in. usually give all the noble jobs to that goblin.
it makes the horrible stuff I'm experimenting on dwarves seem fitting.
and they just act like normal dwarves just immortal and don't really need to eat or drink so I just start not worrying about dwarves dying left or right outside of ghosts and friendships they build.
it's mostly why I don't care about getting vampires.  also due to testing to see if I can make adventurers breed goblins are the only race that aren't effected by the interaction somehow forgot about humans while writing the effect and elves usually don't mingle with dwarves enough to make moving one there easier.
and I WOULD TOTALLY MOVE elephant men to a dwarf site, just that when I did it that elephant straight up died in the bedroom of my first advent snakelady when I return to fort mode this happen back in 42.03 vanilla.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 05:00:16 pm »

Adventurers are asexual, it is hardcoded. Only way I can think of to get it working is to use DFHack to flip the orientation flags.
Is there any evidence of that in the current version? Toady says you're wrong, but he's been known to be mistaken. Would rather wait for results of Science than endlessly repeat information that may have been true several years ago and therefore has no relation to current dwarf fortress.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 05:02:23 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 12:20:31 am »

Is there any evidence of that in the current version? Toady says you're wrong, but he's been known to be mistaken. Would rather wait for results of Science than endlessly repeat information that may have been true several years ago and therefore has no relation to current dwarf fortress.
uhh mostly adventurers don't have the likes and interests needed to build a relationship to lovers, but then again I saw a goblin adventurer hold a grudge with someone so it might be possible just finding the right combination of traits to match up for a lover relationship or that grudges are not tied to marriage and free to be access.
either way I'm doing what I did 5 years ago and trying to get children through the pet system.
that said the only news of that happening is through world gen so chances are your adventurer 'could have adopted.'
"body swapping and YOU!"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 12:51:04 am »

--edit
like due to some cross friendliness of some civs This already happen in vanilla.
like I usually find which dwarf civ holds goblins so I can just start at my retired site as one then move that goblin in. usually give all the noble jobs to that goblin.
it makes the horrible stuff I'm experimenting on dwarves seem fitting.
and they just act like normal dwarves just immortal and don't really need to eat or drink so I just start not worrying about dwarves dying left or right outside of ghosts and friendships they build.
it's mostly why I don't care about getting vampires.  also due to testing to see if I can make adventurers breed goblins are the only race that aren't effected by the interaction somehow forgot about humans while writing the effect and elves usually don't mingle with dwarves enough to make moving one there easier.
and I WOULD TOTALLY MOVE elephant men to a dwarf site, just that when I did it that elephant straight up died in the bedroom of my first advent snakelady when I return to fort mode this happen back in 42.03 vanilla.
It's pretty hard to actually get goblins with actual goblin ethics to visit the fortress though. Mostly you end up with goblins from dwarf or human civs who have dwarf or human ethics. Fine if, as you say, you just need their immortality to experiment with, but you'll have to send a (modded) adventurer or two in manually to guarantee real goblins to play with.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 12:59:54 am »

uhh mostly adventurers don't have the likes and interests needed to build a relationship to lovers, but then again I saw a goblin adventurer hold a grudge with someone so it might be possible just finding the right combination of traits to match up for a lover relationship or that grudges are not tied to marriage and free to be access.
either way I'm doing what I did 5 years ago and trying to get children through the pet system.
that said the only news of that happening is through world gen so chances are your adventurer 'could have adopted.'
Ok...
Go play the latest version of dwarf fortress, then come back to this conversation. How is a strong need to 'make romance', 'socialise' and a 'dream to raise a family' lacking the interests required to build a relationship? Those are all unmodded vanilla adventurer needs (pretty annoying ones too as you can't actually fulfil them as a player!).

I'm not saying that definitely means retired adventurers can now have children, but things have moved on a lot in the past 5 years and it's worth investigating to see how much has changed.
Pages: [1] 2