Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 62

Author Topic: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord  (Read 106907 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
« Reply #390 on: April 02, 2020, 09:48:00 am »

100 Denars is like one small group of looters. Between the scavenge from beating and selling the loot, I've been able to support a party of 30+ pretty easily. Then you add some basic trade on top of that and make some profit. So far I think it's way easier to support a small to average party in BL than in Warband.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 02, 2020, 10:14:58 am »

My biggest gripe is that the practice fights in the arena no longer provide skill-ups. In warband I would always run practice fights until my character could use weapons at least somewhat of effectively, but if that's out then practice fights are worthless to me now. I can get that prize of 250 gold for a lot less effort elsewhere.

I also haven't seen a training field or any way to spar with troops yet, meaning I'm stuck sending fresh recruits directly into combat. I always hated doing that, between their poor skills and lack of armor it's a quick way to lose resources.

At least they didn't bring that god-awful wound system back from viking conquest. Hated that with such a fiery passion that I refused to play any mod that used it. Good riddance.

On the positive side of things, I've discovered a love for tablac. Easy to learn, hard to master, but fun all round.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 02, 2020, 10:53:29 am »

Salvaging looter drops is lucrative early game.  Just move to different towns once you saturate the markets/roaming bands.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 02, 2020, 11:01:49 am »

I also haven't seen a training field or any way to spar with troops yet, meaning I'm stuck sending fresh recruits directly into combat. I always hated doing that, between their poor skills and lack of armor it's a quick way to lose resources.

Just put them in their own battle group, and have them start behind the main line, and charge in after your experienced troops. They'll make a bit less XP but their attrition rate will be much, much lower. Those dudes in the first ranks always take the biggest losses, so just put the weaker ones in a second (perhaps flanking) group.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 02, 2020, 11:12:01 am »

It looks like they changed the "advance" command so they keep advancing, you can now use that instead of charge if you want them to stay in formation.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 02, 2020, 12:05:59 pm »

It looks like they changed the "advance" command so they keep advancing, you can now use that instead of charge if you want them to stay in formation.

that sounds legit, send a slow wave of infantry in formation in while you command archers and cavalry from the flanks, lots of potential there. also, i cant remember if it was mods or default behavior in warband, but they followed you in formation and they do so here as well. so you can order your infantry behind you and march slowly into the enemy in formation.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 02, 2020, 12:42:13 pm »

Currently grinding tactics by attacking bandits and murdering them in auto-battles, and by Armoks beard are the results nonsensical.

Lost 3 imperial Legionnaires in a battle against 16 looters. How the flying carp did that happen?
Between my 3 mounted companions, 10 cavalry soldiers and 20 archers there is no chance that any of the infantry even managed to engage any of the looters in melee, let alone get into a situation where a fapping looter would be able to kill a Legionnaire.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 02, 2020, 12:54:40 pm »

Speaking of formations, big AI-led battles are more interesting now--they make much better use of formations than before. Seems like anyhow. Also you sometimes are able to take command of a battlegroup if you're part of an army.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 02, 2020, 02:01:05 pm »

Currently grinding tactics by attacking bandits and murdering them in auto-battles, and by Armoks beard are the results nonsensical.

Lost 3 imperial Legionnaires in a battle against 16 looters. How the flying carp did that happen?
Between my 3 mounted companions, 10 cavalry soldiers and 20 archers there is no chance that any of the infantry even managed to engage any of the looters in melee, let alone get into a situation where a fapping looter would be able to kill a Legionnaire.

I feel like almost every auto-battle system in games like this runs in to this problem. Especially when there's just passive modifiers to give you better results on auto-battle. Because you're lower level on it, you're naturally going to get some penalties to it.

How are people finding battles of 60+ people in terms of performance? My machine isn't the hottest thing, but I'd say it's 7/10 for a gaming PC. And my first battle with about 100 guys chugged pretty hard at the start. (I think it was like 100 soldiers versus like 4 looters.) Not exactly encouraging when there's a real fight with 200+ guys. All the videos I've seen up to this point, things looked pretty smooth. But my own experience is that around 30+ units and there's a little chugging at the start and it only gets worse from there.

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 02, 2020, 02:13:15 pm »

So far I'm having a blast. Haven't run into more serious bugs than some placeholder text.

Currently I have just joined the Southern Empire and just won a siege against a castle with my 70 large army
 I fought of multiple armies whilst singing, because the enemy kept running away after charging y infantry line and then getting countercharged by my much larger cavalry force. It seemed somewhat unbalanced to win 2:1 fights with a 50:1 casualty rating.

The siege was a different affair, I managed to win on my third try by abusing the AI. I climbed to the top rungs of the ladder on a siege tower and first started sniping the enemy troops whilst parking my own at the bottom of the wall. After my ammo ran out I kept popping up, luring the enemy to the edge of the siege tower and starting hitting them in the shins. Half of the time they also started climbing down, making them extremely vulnerable to me hitting them with a sword in the back. I killed about 50 enemies before charging in my own guys. I won the battle although I managed to get myself stuck on a rooftop while my guys mopped up (and got stuck in random corners, hitting the walls with their swords).

I've also bought a wood workshop, which sometimes earns me 200 gp, sometimes 12000 and now it seems to have stabilized at 2000 gp per day.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 02, 2020, 04:28:55 pm »

Not the best solution, but one of the early talents/perks in the leadership tree gives xp to low-ranked troops every night. (Like in the prior games.)

On the positive side of things, I've discovered a love for tablac. Easy to learn, hard to master, but fun all round.

That's the Imperial one, right? I can do pretty decently on the defense side, but can't capture a king to save my life. It's a nice diversion, and nice that one can just play it without gambling.

Edit: Just did a bandit base raid (AKA let's play Russian roulette with javelins/arrows and see how many of my troops make it out alive), and survived just on my lonesome. Bandit boss comes up and asks for the duel as usual, despite it just being me. What a nice fellow; good thing I always keep a blunt weapon on hand.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:43:22 pm by Dostoevsky »

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 02, 2020, 06:04:01 pm »

That's the Imperial one, right? I can do pretty decently on the defense side, but can't capture a king to save my life. It's a nice diversion, and nice that one can just play it without gambling.
When it comes to tablac, I'm not so good at attacking, but defending comes easily enough that I can make consistent money off it. Both sides are good for playing for fun, so it's nice to know I have something stable to do in this game while the devs air out the funk of forty thousand years.

Edit: Just did a bandit base raid (AKA let's play Russian roulette with javelins/arrows and see how many of my troops make it out alive), and survived just on my lonesome. Bandit boss comes up and asks for the duel as usual, despite it just being me. What a nice fellow; good thing I always keep a blunt weapon on hand.

So you're telling me that duel in the tutorial wasn't a story beat, and that every two-bit bandit king is going to wait for their men to die before sauntering up like I owe them anything? Forget the blunt weapon, where did I leave Ramun's pistol?
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 02, 2020, 06:21:45 pm »

Yea every bandit hideout has a really crazy bandit leader who wants to duel.

EDIT: hopped on MP for 0.5 seconds... I fucking hate it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 06:31:20 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 02, 2020, 08:13:55 pm »

I like that "I'm not going to duel you dickhead" is an option on when sacking a hideout. I really wish there was an "I'm not going to stand toe to toe with you at very low health while my vigorous and well equipped men block me in before announcing I won't duel you" option.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 02, 2020, 08:46:27 pm »

For those talking about in-battle AI, try using the F6 command during your next battle. It assigns the group (or all groups, if you have all selected) to be handled by 'your sergeant' (i.e. the AI). Also shows in the lower-left all the commands being issued to them - it's a pretty active AI, and seems to do a decent job the few times I've done it.

When I'm playing on foot it seems a decent choice to assign your cavalry to it, for example - will e.g. harass or protect your flanks while you worry about more immediate things.

On the board games, each culture supposedly has their own. Only done the Imperial and Battanian ones so far -- not a fan of (perhaps just because I'm not any good at) the Battanian one.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 62