Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 62

Author Topic: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord  (Read 106927 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
« Reply #585 on: April 12, 2020, 10:47:41 am »

I was also under the impression that the whole point of the green fields on the skill tab was to show how much your skill could improve and thay it wouldn't improve beyond them. But no, I keep getting Scouting points. I'm so fucking prepared I can't even

Possible it changed in the beta, but my impression was that it was a soft cap due to the way the multipliers worked; earning 1x experience for something that takes progressively more experience to obtain would mean it is eventually unfeasible to max it out. It only seemed that it was a hard cap due to how low experience gains were across the board.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 12, 2020, 10:52:24 am »

Yea, it's a soft cap--you just get very reduced skill gains when you go over. Beta is... really unbalanced IMO, you can achieve god-tier status just by spending an hour in the arena.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 12, 2020, 01:59:14 pm »

What does it take to "Level up" a workshop? I find odd that you can only have three, full stop, and nothing seems to raise that cap.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 02:00:55 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 12, 2020, 03:13:31 pm »

Yea, it's a soft cap--you just get very reduced skill gains when you go over. Beta is... really unbalanced IMO, you can achieve god-tier status just by spending an hour in the arena.

Reeeally? Last time I tried, arenas didn't award exp.

EDIT: Oh, i think you mean the beta build.

EDIT: Also I've started kicking and shieldbashing a lot more... damn that mechanic feels great, I just wish the AI would use it more on me to balance it out.

Yeah, bashing is kind of OP, to be honest. You just rush a group, do some foot work and bash-spam, and your men reap the enemy like wheat.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 03:16:44 pm by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 12, 2020, 07:15:02 pm »

Just wanted to confirm that:
1) The main quest is on a 10-year timer.
2) You can totally keep playing if you fail due to it timing out.

I didn't even get past the talk to 10 nobles part.  For some reason, the Khuzait declared war on me.  None of the Empire factions still hold any land.

The Western Empire is also at war with me, but I'm pretty sure I know why they want a piece of me.  :P

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 12, 2020, 07:20:55 pm »

Also how long do "years" last in game? Because the timecode might be a bit bugged?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 12, 2020, 07:29:22 pm »

Also how long do "years" last in game? Because the timecode might be a bit bugged?

I think you are right, I would have calculated 4 months per year with 30 days per month for a total of 1200 days, but I think I got the failure text before that time.  I only got to that point because I left my character waiting in town while sleeping and when I was out, both interrupted by the town getting besieged.  It was sometime between 800 and 1000 days, from what I recall, I'll have to get the specific number later.

Needless to say, most portions of the main quest should be completed long before then, but I've never gotten past:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 12, 2020, 07:37:30 pm »

I think you are right, I would have calculated 4 months per year with 30 days per month for a total of 1200 days, but I think I got the failure text before that time.  I only got to that point because I left my character waiting in town while sleeping and when I was out, both interrupted by the town getting besieged.  It was sometime between 800 and 1000 days, from what I recall, I'll have to get the specific number later.

Needless to say, most portions of the main quest should be completed long before then, but I've never gotten past:

Is this to say that the new version breaks old campaigns, or..?

I know it's inevitable, of course.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 12, 2020, 07:39:39 pm »

Well after I reverted from the Beta my saves have been broken but I also have a bunch of mods for this early in development so take that with a grain of salt.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 12, 2020, 07:43:38 pm »

Well after I reverted from the Beta my saves have been broken but I also have a bunch of mods for this early in development so take that with a grain of salt.

Running about 10 mods myself. According to this, the devs patched the problem with at least vanilla saves, though

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bannerlord/comments/g01xwd/made_a_story_video_about_my_first_character_since/

Just gonna run my current setup until it explodes, and then hopefully my Stellaris mods will be up to date by then. :P

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 12, 2020, 07:44:38 pm »

Is this to say that the new version breaks old campaigns, or..?

I know it's inevitable, of course.

I didn't risk it.  I've heard mainly that the newer versions fixed issues, but those fixes wouldn't apply to old saves, so I figured I might as well progress with a fresh start since I hadn't really gotten very far.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 12, 2020, 08:49:01 pm »

Mine was real bad, it just started crashing when I clicked resume/load save. Didn't even get to select a save.

I assume thats due to a cocktail of mods and the Beta reversion. Oh well! It's all good.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 12, 2020, 09:28:44 pm »

Had a legitimately epic fight just a moment ago, even though it was a loss.

400 Battanians vs. 460 Western Empire, led by Garios himself. I knew it was probably going to be a loss going in but I figured I'd try it anyways.

It was in the big open field with trees ringing the whole thing.

I took half the cavalry up the right side and posted on a hill in the trees, dropping arrows and letting the infantry close in.

There's so many enemy infantry spread in a single line that there's no real way to flank them, so I ordered the cavalry in.

I go through the mass of infantry, and there's so many I'm getting a kill with every swing of my Battanian Mountain Blade, it's glorious.

I see the enemy starting to "rout" but I've learned that's really just a fighting retreat. You can tell the difference when the archers turn and fire on you as get close. I order the cav back to me and pull away, trying to get them organized and sight another mass of infantry.

After dueling a bit with enemy cavalry I see the rest of the enemy infantry massing on the wooded hill I'd been observing from previously. I order my cav to charge again and start dropping arrows into the tightly packed infantry. I go through two quivers and 90% of my shots are hits and kills. The rest of my allied infantry pours in while the archers set up firing up the hill.

It's a pretty bad scene, tactically speaking. I've taken a few minor hits but my horse is on its last legs. That's when I see the message that the current plan is an organized retreat. Ha. I order the remaining cav back to me and start retreating away from the hill, and hit enemy cavalry behind us. I start fighting them, trying to buy the other units time to flee (spoiler: they don't make it.) My horse gets cut out from under me, and almost like magic, an enemy cavalry soldier drops off his mount right next to me. I mount up again, slay some more cav, and then my mount goes down again. This has to be it, I think. But my few remaining cav and some enemy cav are bunched up and again, by luck, another one drops off his mount practically at my feet and I scoop it up, arrows sticking out of it and everything.

And then I see the message above my screen "Griff, retreat!" I high tail it out of there. The couple of friendly cav I had at my back get cut down as I start to pull away, except one. Not wanting to risk the trees or losing speed turning, I start off across the whole field to reach the other side. My horse is barely fast enough. Javelins and arrows go past me. The pursing cav behind me slays the last friendly cav, and I see the kill went to Garios himself, who is hot on my heels.

I look around. I'm literally the last Battanian on the field.

They start closing the gap on me. My horse is too slow, they'll be on me before I reach the zone boundary.

Garios comes along side and I give him a good smack right in the face, then pull away. He drops back and another cav comes up and awkwardly tries to spear me. I swing but he throws his shield up at the last second and blocks, then turns slightly in to my horse and loses his speed and drops behind me. Garios starts coming up again as I cross the red borderline of the zone, as does his buddy. The seconds count down as he moves in for another attack, and hits zero right as he starts to swing.

The post battle action had us at 11 vs. 90. And half of that number is lords dragged back to the battlefield with 1 or 2 troops a piece.

We got soundly thrashed, but goddamn, it was exhilarating from start to finish, which ya know, I generally don't get to experience getting knocked out in the first 1/3rd of most battles.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 09:31:42 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 12, 2020, 09:33:39 pm »

You can tell Taleworlds did a lot of the testing in set piece battles because everything seems to work best when its 300+ vs 300+, and tbf it's great! Super cinematic--even the losses!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 12, 2020, 10:09:57 pm »

One really stupid downside of the AI doing big battles in the open though is the enemy AI always goes on the defensive and holds their position, so their reinforcement literally spawn in to the combat. It's the same thing from Warband and why there is no real substitute for leading your own army. I really hope they address this, it's hard enough to win out numbered, and damn near impossible when your own reinforcements are getting there x10 slower than the enemy's.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 62