Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 62

Author Topic: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord  (Read 106946 times)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
« Reply #570 on: April 11, 2020, 05:57:50 pm »

I can agree with that.  You don't feel stuck hunting bandits for what feels like years.
That took me a while to realize. I spent my first "playthrough" meandering about, trying to subsist off of meager looter spoils and getting my ass handed to me by forest bandits, until I realized that mercenary work is viable early on. In fact, I'd say lords (once they've been softened up by prolonged warfare) are actually easier targets than most of the bandits roaming around.

Bruh. Give it like a month lol.

Yeah, don't mind me. I'm just beside myself because all of my honest simping went to waste. The one woman I ever loved, Lady Phaea, turned me down and now it's all I can do to attack her army every time I see her, only to let her go and show her what an awesome guy I actually am.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: April 11, 2020, 06:54:07 pm »

@scriver,

well Imperials get Buchellari! Which are like Medium-Heavy Horse Archers.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 11, 2020, 08:25:18 pm »

I can agree with that.  You don't feel stuck hunting bandits for what feels like years.

Yeah, instead you get stuck farming influence to force-seize friendly holdings since you can solo conquer 20 towns and castles as a T5 clan and see all of them go to your liege/random assholes who didn't help in the slightest.

Really makes that moment where you're big enough to start lopping off heads even more satisfying though.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: April 11, 2020, 08:46:09 pm »

Well that hasn't changed much since old MnB.  Just now there's a resource that you can use to get land from other lords.

Only reason I went from merc to vassal was because of the rep lose.  Since it's been fixed my next game I'll be jumping around as a merc then forming my own kingdom.  Want to see how well kingdom management works.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 11, 2020, 11:50:30 pm »

That took me a while to realize. I spent my first "playthrough" meandering about, trying to subsist off of meager looter spoils and getting my ass handed to me by forest bandits, until I realized that mercenary work is viable early on. In fact, I'd say lords (once they've been softened up by prolonged warfare) are actually easier targets than most of the bandits roaming around.

But of course.  Ever notice just how often lords get captured by looters?  They're pretty weak, especially if their faction has been taking a beating.  I once saw a lord bopping around with zero troops.  I probably should have left the poor guy alone, but I walked over, captured him, then ransomed himself and his wounded troops.  Wasn't even a lot of money, really, but I just couldn't resist.

So, just spent 50+ hours helping the Northern Empire reclaim its lost territory, land grab from the Southern Empire, nearly eliminate the Western Empire, and push back the Vlandians, who are now only the second strongest faction in the game. Had plotted to marry Lucon's daughter, but failed that idiotic one-try mini-game. >.>

Man, I get it's early access, but the devs have made some incredibly harsh and bizarre design choices with this game. Yeah, yeah, hardcore, blah blah blah. Now can we have Warband's open-ended sandbox style back, please? Seriously, I almost would have preferred a clone of the previous title with mods like Freelancer integrated and a new paint job.

And what the hell is up with not being able to choose troops or bodyguards for certain quests? Did Floris, the real Mount and Blade, teach them nothing?! ;_; Kind of makes you want to just pat them on the back and say, "You know what, good job with this. Now just stop developing it, don't add anything new- the modders will take it from here, and we don't want you breaking compatibility." :P

Well, the Mount & Blade: Warband also had its problems, such as not being able to recruit a hero if you spoke with them twice without hiring them, or having them disappear if they left your party too many times.  But that second issue was resolved with a wait, so instead of being permanent, it just took longer that I usually had patience.  They should do something like that with the marriage quests.  Or, you could just marry Lucon's granddaughter after his daughter gets married and has kids.  That is certainly a feature that will be implemented, the only part I'm not sure is in now is whether or not lords/ladies get married among themselves if they don't start that way.

I don't know why, but sometimes I really, really hate that there is a main quest.  Sadly, that seems to just be the way that their development team has changed.  I'm guessing whomever made the sandbox that was the original and Warband lost control to whatever losers think we actually want plot shoved down our throats.  At least it's not as bad as Fire & Sword, I mean they had to mod that game just to make it as good as Warband in terms of being a sandbox.  Otherwise you can only go as good as Native (it defaults to not letting the player start their own kingdom if they aren't following the storyline plot, but a mod fixed that).

Yes, I know that it's "mostly optional", but sometimes I wish there was a checkbox that I could click that would just make it all go away for one play-through.

BTW: The Steward skill (I think it was steward) has line about "being quartermaster for parties fed with a variety of food" or some such. I always set my own character to the quartermaster role in the clan window, and get regular skill ups in Steward.
I always set my character as the surgeon, as I can never find anyone else to do the job, and Steward goes up most days that the men get paid.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 12, 2020, 02:30:50 am »

Honestly the XP changes in the beta are exactly what the game needed. It really makes early game flow smoother, especially with XP from tourneys. The bandit killing phase flies by now and you get into the meat of the game even quicker than before. Although as mentioned, the merc path is really the way to go, because you can just join some big doomstack and level up/get money through the big kingdom v kingdom battles even if you only have a small party.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 12, 2020, 03:49:33 am »

Yeah, Mercin' has turned out to be pretty easy. Once you rack up just a bit of influence you can start getting a nice daily stipend that defrays the cost of your warband, letting you field a bigger one. If you wanna ambush enemy caravans though, you'll need some serious speed. Fuckin' high tech wagons!

I read over the Kingdom policy stuff.....not gonna lie, I felt myself nodding off. Pretty dry stuff, +5% hoohahs to the geegaws when the flimflams are zippity-doo-bop.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 12, 2020, 04:43:08 am »

I don't know why, but sometimes I really, really hate that there is a main quest.

I'm going to go the opposite way and say I think it is critical to the game becoming all it can be. Having some kind of obvious goal for new players to work twords will help massively with onboarding. That said, I'm not against some kind of option to disable it when starting a new save.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 12, 2020, 06:23:33 am »

I always set my character as the surgeon, as I can never find anyone else to do the job, and Steward goes up most days that the men get paid.
You'll automatically heal your troops and level Medicine even if you're filling another role as long as you don't have anyone else assigned as Surgeon. Same deal with Scout and Scouting, Engineer and Engineering. You want to always be the party Quartermaster because it boosts your maximum party size pretty substantially at higher levels.

Yeah, Mercin' has turned out to be pretty easy. Once you rack up just a bit of influence you can start getting a nice daily stipend that defrays the cost of your warband, letting you field a bigger one. If you wanna ambush enemy caravans though, you'll need some serious speed. Fuckin' high tech wagons!

I read over the Kingdom policy stuff.....not gonna lie, I felt myself nodding off. Pretty dry stuff, +5% hoohahs to the geegaws when the flimflams are zippity-doo-bop.
The only really important ones are the few that give increased/decreased influence, since that's your lever to force everyone else to do what you want short of killing them all. The rest I pretty much ignore too.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 12, 2020, 06:39:54 am »

I agree. It doesn't even feel much like a main quest to me, more like a chance to exposite the background lore/history of the world and make the situation and characters more interesting. I like it a lot. Mat be you can tell, but I haven't really pursued the maim quest beyond the talking to movies yet. I'm in no rush.

But I also disagree. I've played Bannerlord very much like I played Warband so far, and I almost never started my own kingdoms in Warband. It's not really what the games are about to me, just one of the possibilities. And I feel that instead of teaching them to sand it up all in this box, putting making your own kingdom as a reward at the end of a *main quest* like that might feel like it's trying to tell new players that this is what the game is about.

But on a different topic: My Scouting skill has gone bonkers in yesterday's update. I'm gaining skill levels every few steps it feels like. Same with Medic to a lesser degree. It jumped up four skill levels the first time I ever even fought a battle, against half a dozen looters who managed to scratch me a bit. It's crazy, even worse than stewardship was.

I was also under the impression that the whole point of the green fields on the skill tab was to show how much your skill could improve and thay it wouldn't improve beyond them. But no, I keep getting Scouting points. I'm so fucking prepared I can't even

@scriver,

well Imperials get Buchellari! Which are like Medium-Heavy Horse Archers.

Ah, I forgot about those. I didn't use them anything in my Imperial runthroughs, I preferred the Paladin Archers.
Love, scriver~

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 12, 2020, 08:59:53 am »

I personally like the general thrust of the main quest, for the reasons above. It also adds a neat little sort of "challenge mode" to the sandbox nature of the game too, as supposedly once you reach the end and fail to stop to halt the timer, every faction will either declare war on all three imperial factions, or the imperial factions will unite against yours, iirc, depending on the path you chose.

I don't care how dry it is, as long as they/someone eventually gives me options to *feel* like I am restoring the empire to a republic.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 12, 2020, 09:17:48 am »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 12, 2020, 09:35:19 am »

It's not my character, it's a companion. He just super levelled after a single, random, computer-solved looter encounter.
Love, scriver~

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 12, 2020, 10:00:00 am »

I had to revert from beta because skills were going up so quickly it felt kinda cheaty.

Also I usually set myself as the clan scout to get a boost to that skills' levelling, as everyone has pointed out medicine and stewardship go up fairly quickly on their own.

EDIT: Also I've started kicking and shieldbashing a lot more... damn that mechanic feels great, I just wish the AI would use it more on me to balance it out.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 62