Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Decided to start a poll about it. Do you guys want intermissions, with both backstories and the events after a Chapter?

Yes. Backstories about our characters, which may answer questions? Seeing the world after the destructive chapters? Yes, please!
- 2 (40%)
Nah. We should just start Chapter 2/3/5/291, and put background info in the Chapter itself.
- 0 (0%)
Why ask, Greatness? It's your game, if you want this sort of thing, just do it already.
- 3 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: July 20, 2016, 05:13:00 pm

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 106

Author Topic: Wiki Warfare: Cataclysm  (Read 140975 times)

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
Re: Wiki Warfare: Cataclysm
« Reply #630 on: July 21, 2016, 12:00:37 pm »

I think I like this loadout. I think I like it a lot. The double shotguns are nice. I am deeply amused however, that I can turn into both moths and butterflies. You know, just in case one of those things is somehow situationally better for some reason. (Time to research dangerous bugs. Sidenote, does transforming drop all my stuff or do I take it with me.) So we're all on the same team right?
((All hail lord moth, may he intensify us with greatness, you shall not tarnish upon lord moth's name and shalt not become a horrendous butterfly.))
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: July 21, 2016, 12:01:59 pm »

((What is it with the moth/beetle transforms?  Second time in as many rounds...  And one on the same player too.

*prepares to Khepri Darth Vader in the face*))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: July 21, 2016, 12:08:11 pm »

I think I like this loadout. I think I like it a lot. The double shotguns are nice. I am deeply amused however, that I can turn into both moths and butterflies. You know, just in case one of those things is somehow situationally better for some reason. (Time to research dangerous bugs. Sidenote, does transforming drop all my stuff or do I take it with me.) So we're all on the same team right?
((All hail lord moth, may he intensify us with greatness, you shall not tarnish upon lord moth's name and shalt not become a horrendous butterfly.))
I've found an entire family of moths(Zygaenidae) that produce hydrogen cyanide throughout their lifecycle, and can expel it as a defense mechanism. Unfortunately(unfortunate in terms of usability in game that is. It is probably a good thing irl that we don't have said data), there seems to be little data on the lethality of the dose. Best I can find seems to kill small birds, which isn't particularly menacing in a warfare setting. Maybe if I sneak in to a camp and poison their drinks? Might work. Vampire moths are kinda neat too though.

Edit: Oddly, it seems to be the caterpillar stage that generally has the most deadly poisons. I guess that kind of makes sense, but oh well.

Edit2: Well we ARE using other wikis. Volcarona
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 12:26:22 pm by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 21, 2016, 12:37:16 pm »

@Person: BiggerFish kept all his stuff when he transformed, though that may be due to the fact that I didn't factor that in at the time. I may have to roll equipment checks, but I don't know. Also, while Volcorana is a moth, they are also a Pokemon. That means nothing, though, since BiggerFish could, and still can, turn into an Egyptian God, that just so happens to be a Beetle. Also, yes, all 10 of you are on the same team, co operating. The trade off, is that the Boss Battles are going to be against characters who can hold their own against people like you.

@BiggerFish: I would be very surprised if someone didn't sig Khepring Darth Vader in the face.
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: July 21, 2016, 01:04:55 pm »

True. I'm not particularly expecting Volcarona to work, though it would be a nice form to have. Googling forms like this is almost certainly metagaming, and if was playing myself (albeit a british version of myself), then Volcarona is really the only good moth I know of. Khepri is probably more powerful anyway, and they're both fictional. One is just a much older fiction than the other. Whatever ruling you give I'm fine with it. I don't really take this stuff too seriously. I'm just the sort of person that debates power levels and questions like "would this work?", or "who would win" too much.

As to why these transformations are so common, that's because Wikipedia has a rather large amount of articles about beetles/moths/plants/etc that almost no one has really ever heard of, but that exist none the less, and thus they must be documented. It is a bit of a strong power(just transforming into that species of moth would be rather underwhelming), but early iterations of the wiki wars have often had alternative uses for such articles. One example is allowing the user summon a bunch of that creature/plant, which tended not to do much. Another allowed the character to change form into that one thing. One character had a bunch of preserved moths from the genus of the article. Most characters just got a bunch got knowledge on the subject(ex: moths) in general as an attribute. No doubt the method used in this game is the strongest, but is it too strong? Probably not. Is it a bit dull? Maybe a little. Better than another probably useless article? Almost certainly.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: July 21, 2016, 02:18:18 pm »

@Person: I think I got the gist of it. If someone else gets a month/beetle/butterfly/whatever article, I'll try to vary it up. Think The Pain from MGS3 for example. I'll also try to make variations of any article. For example, if someone gets a gun article, they may get a bonus to repairing guns.

...EDIT: Okay, I may have missed a bit of the point, but I understand what you're getting at. Like I said, Volarona is technically a moth, so it's possible. I'm just saying that it's not really a moth in much the same way Khepri isn't really a Beetle, but the technicality let him do it.

Anyway, at like 7:00 PM, my time, I think I'll go ahead and PM those who haven't posted. Just as a reminder, since I'll be typing the turn up sometime tomorrow...or the day after. With me, it's actually pretty difficult to guess.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 04:35:28 pm by Greatness942 »
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 21, 2016, 09:23:34 pm »

get acquainted with the situation.
((I am here.))
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: July 21, 2016, 09:32:53 pm »

((I am here.))

And I've noticed. Good to see you, as always.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 21, 2016, 09:41:43 pm »

((Thank you happy to be here.))
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 21, 2016, 09:51:19 pm »

((ALRIGHT THEN, LET'S TRY NOT TO DIE IN THE FIRST FEW TURNS, AND THEN COMPLETELY FORGET ABOUT THE GAME THIS TIME.))

"Whu... What?.... Weird...."

Investigate surroundings, and scout out where we have to go.

((Also, hooray for undertale powers

Time to hug everyone))
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: July 21, 2016, 09:56:33 pm »

@DigitalDemon: THAT WOUOD BE GREAT, YEAH!

Also, your profile pic, which seems to do that looping thing, made me think of Darth Vader vs Mettaton, and then that makes me want to play Death by Glamour over the inevitable battle. Maybe...Another maybe is whether or not you can go True Pacifist on Darth Vader...heh.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 21, 2016, 09:56:55 pm »

"Ooh, Hoth. That's a pretty cool location. And it looks like a few of the competitors got bug shifting powers. I wonder how they'll deal with the freezing cold environment here." Beirus stops his commentary to think for a moment. "You know, I've always wondered what Wampa tastes like. If I go kill one and grill it, would anyone else like some?"
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 21, 2016, 10:00:01 pm »

((I'll post your commentary and the responses in the turn. It just makes it easier to group everything up. ...but, yeah, it's pretty cool to have a player commentator!))

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: July 22, 2016, 06:15:09 am »

scan radio frequencies hoping to find something interesting
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: July 22, 2016, 06:59:16 am »

((I miss my reality altering powers. I could disable the Force. Then drop a few meteors on Vader and be done. All of this without having to move.))

Investigate surroundings, grab some warm clothes if I got none. Then check in which direction Vader is.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 106