Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 135

Author Topic: Ye Gods 3 IC: Tick 18.5: Bounces  (Read 176622 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Gods 3 IC: Tick 5: The Drollery Begins [21/30]
« Reply #1065 on: May 05, 2016, 02:19:38 pm »

"How would this system be worse at accounting for disparate races? True, it's more complex than a simple, fixed  growth rate for everyone, but such a system renders the adaptation of creatures to their environment almost entirely pointless.

As far as the problem of rapid growth, well, the numbers aren't exactly carved into stone. They can be changed. I even mentioned myself that a base rate of 10% might be too high."

"So...wh4t???.....Adapti0n...is...n0t...on...Munr03's...priority...l1st....
...4nd...th4t...w0uld...just...put...0ff...th3...bigg3st...pr0blems...0f...this...suggestion..."

((Seriously though, our current system is "Roll 1d10-4 (0 counts as 0) for percent increase". (It totally misremembered the rules, but you get the idea :P) This is a lot "liter" then the system you are proposing. Try it yourself, go back and try assigning numbers to all the current races that you think everyone would be happy with then try rolling up a population increase.))
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 02:28:09 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #1066 on: May 05, 2016, 02:28:34 pm »

((The vast majority of environments would be considered "standard" anyway. A place like Ur that's been blessed with plenty by the gods would be, well, Plentiful. The system actually eliminates the roll entirely [which is a layer of complication], trading one extra step for another.
Current pops would be, given the average growth rate of 4%:
1000 Keardai in Ur: 1000*(1+(.04*1.75)) = 1070
1000 Keardai in a desert, rendered neutral due to Extremophile: 1000*(1+(0.04*1)) =  1040
1000 Draki in a presumably neutral savanna: 1040

And i have to run))
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: May 05, 2016, 02:39:40 pm »

((The vast majority of environments would be considered "standard" anyway. A place like Ur that's been blessed with plenty by the gods would be, well, Plentiful. The system actually eliminates the roll entirely [which is a layer of complication], trading one extra step for another.
Current pops would be, given the average growth rate of 4%:
1000 Keardai in Ur: 1000*(1+(.04*1.75)) = 1070
1000 Keardai in a desert, rendered neutral due to Extremophile: 1000*(1+(0.04*1)) =  1040
1000 Draki in a presumably neutral savanna: 1040

And i have to run))

((Then, again, this is entirely pointless if it just leads to most races having a multiplier of 1. Hitting the "roll dice" button is a lot easier than having to wrestle with a more complex system, and if your true goal was simplicity you could just suggest setting the growth rate to 4% and removing the role entirely, which would have the same effect while being simpler if everything averages to one anyway. Again, this leads to a lot more complexity. The Keardai aren't going to be confined to a single city the whole game, making it more complex as KJP has to track the location of each individual to be able to multiply them properly, rather than just rolling a dice and seeing what happens. Given that there is nothing dictating what exactly is fertile land and what isn't, it also gives a mechanical bonus to having things live in "Obviously Fertile" places, penalizing people who want to put races in more interesting places. For example, by your ruleset, a God who wants to make a desert-based race will have a normal bonus even with spending on extremophile, while the Generic race can thrive in a specified fertile area. There is no reason *not* to just make your race go to a fertile area, after all.

And I really should be studying harder for finals :0.))

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Gods 3 IC: Tick 4: March of the Titans [20/30]
« Reply #1068 on: May 05, 2016, 03:08:10 pm »

Saukko

Proposal: School of Magic

Vejrdraoid, or weather magic, practitioners are able to influence air pressure, moisture, sunlight, and - at the most advanced levels - electrical charge in a variety of offensive and defensive defensive spells. Powered via leylines.

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Gods 3 IC: Tick 4: March of the Titans [20/30]
« Reply #1069 on: May 05, 2016, 03:11:33 pm »

Saukko

Proposal: School of Magic

Vejrdraoid, or weather magic, practitioners are able to influence air pressure, moisture, sunlight, and - at the most advanced levels - electrical charge in a variety of offensive and defensive defensive spells. Powered via leylines.

((That has enough support to pass now. You can stop spamming it :P.))

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: May 05, 2016, 03:14:33 pm »

((Lies! Munroe is the only one supporting it, and has been since last Tick when it didn't get enough support to pass :P))
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: May 05, 2016, 03:40:49 pm »

Propose Law of Cullment
If a law has not been passed for three ticks it gets erased from the list.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: May 05, 2016, 03:41:33 pm »

Propose Law of Cullment

Support
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: May 05, 2016, 04:04:57 pm »

((Lies! Munroe is the only one supporting it, and has been since last Tick when it didn't get enough support to pass :P))

((I thought you would just take my word for it. Never expected you to actually check :0.))

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: May 05, 2016, 04:07:39 pm »

Propose Law of Cullment
Conditional Oppose

"Make that five Ticks and it'll do what it's supposed to with fewer downsides."
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: May 05, 2016, 04:20:38 pm »

>I'm sorry, what's been going on???
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: May 05, 2016, 04:30:30 pm »

>I'm sorry, what's been going on???

((Is...Is this game going too fast for TBF to keep up!?))

"S0m3...h4v3...created....p0werful....m0rtal...cr3atures.......s0m3...argu3d.....
S0m3...invit3d....dark...f0rc3s...int0...th3...bubbl3...
N0t...much...r3ally....m0stly...th3...arguing...part..."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: May 05, 2016, 04:36:39 pm »

((No, it's fine when I'm here, but I have stuff to do too.))

>Ah.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #1078 on: May 05, 2016, 04:52:36 pm »

"How about a twofold change to the idea:
1. Simplify environments to Hostile, Neutral, Friendly. Hostile environs are 0.5x (2%) growth to non-Extremophile or otherwise adapted creatures, but are harder to conquer (and by extension easier to defend), such as a place with long, harsh winters that freeze everyone who attempts to invade. Friendly environments are 2x growth (8%), but grant no defensive bonuses and will be invaded more often due to being more desirable (assuming mortals are left to their own devices.)
2. All land from this point forward is defined as Neutral unless a god spends Essence to render it elsewise. Those with populations already created and residing in areas may decide whether they are located in Hostile, Neutral, or Friendly biomes.

Does this sound easier? I feel as if the environment should be taken into account in some fashion. Otherwise, traits that adapt creatures to certain environs become devalued, with Extremophile being quite literally worthless."

Also, Support Vejrdraoid.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:56:40 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: May 05, 2016, 05:06:27 pm »

"How about a twofold change to the idea:
1. Simplify environments to Hostile, Neutral, Friendly. Hostile environs are 0.5x (2%) growth to non-Extremophile or otherwise adapted creatures, but are harder to conquer (and by extension easier to defend), such as a place with long, harsh winters that freeze everyone who attempts to invade. Friendly environments are 2x growth (8%), but grant no defensive bonuses and will be invaded more often due to being more desirable (assuming mortals are left to their own devices.)
2. All land from this point forward is defined as Neutral unless a god spends Essence to render it elsewise. Those with populations already created and residing in areas may decide whether they are located in Hostile, Neutral, or Friendly biomes.

Does this sound easier? I feel as if the environment should be taken into account in some fashion. Otherwise, traits that adapt creatures to certain environs become devalued, with Extremophile being quite literally worthless."

Also, Support Vejrdraoid.

"S0m3...issues...ar3...fix3d.......m0st...r3main....Th4t...sugg3sti0n...still...
h4s...m0st...th3...sam3...issu3s...and...is...0nly...slightly....l3ss...c0mpl3x...
If...anything...it...4dds...m0r3...c0mplexity....with...th3...def3nc3...rul3s...."

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 135