Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 57

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 118078 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2016, 03:10:57 pm »

The Android version of Planar Conquest doesn't seem to take forever to load for me, and I don't really have a fancy phone, I use a Samsung Galaxy S4. It does ask for access to your google account. I find a lot of games on Android do this though, I'm assuming part of it is to track your achievements, but I don't really know what all it gives an app access to since I usually opt for no. I do wish it would remember that you chose not to let it access your google account though, it is rather annoying to refuse it access every time you run the app.

I'm not really sure how I feel about the game yet because I haven't even finished playing a campaign. The presentation and mechanics seem decent enough so far though. It is also worth noting you don't have access to a lot of race / world choices when you buy the game. If you want variety you will have to pay to unlock other races and worlds through microtransactions.

On another note the GO series of puzzle games from squenix are on sale for 80% off. I've heard a lot of good things about Lara Croft GO and Hitman GO so I decided to pick up one up. Since people seemed to like the Lara Croft one more I went with that and I've been enjoying it so far. I haven't really heard much about Deus Ex GO so I avoided that one.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 03:19:58 pm by Wiles »

Aqma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2016, 08:44:48 am »

I also have the android version (in regards to Planar Conquest), seems to load fine for me. I can't comment on the access to google account thing, some games bombard me with it so I just allow it to stop the spam (and I don't mean money grab games as those I avoid, but even one off purchase games) - in general, do you guys refuse it for a specific reason or just getting annoyed that it asks in the first place?

Let me add one more game I cam across that seems quite interesting:

The Quest - seems to be a port from the IOS/PC version, rather interesting open world turn based RPG, mechanic wise somewhat similar to the old school games with nice art to it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 08:47:36 am by Aqma »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2016, 09:25:27 am »

> do you guys refuse it for a specific reason or just getting annoyed that it asks in the first place?

the only permission that's granted by giving the iTunes password is to make purchases on my behalf, and that's something you should never ever ask on iOS unless the user is in the process of making a purchase.

Aqma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2016, 09:47:47 am »

Ahh than maybe it's something else, some games bombard me with the google play connect for achievements not directly for the google password/account (starting to wonder if it's much of a difference heh, if i dig a bit through the stuff google keeps "on my behalf" ... well it seems to know more about me than i do, useful sometimes but spooky as well).

I don't remember if Planar Conquest asked me for this on android. It doesn't now, but I did buy the complete pack at the beginning (for the extra races and planes) so maybe it is influenced by this, no idea ...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 09:57:42 am by Aqma »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2016, 10:46:15 am »

Dumb question. Any Windows Phone users (of course not, but it couldn't hurt to ask)?

It's got the standard games that are everywhere (Angry Birds, Candy Crush, crap from Zynga) and loads of microtransaction-laden time wasters, but I'm curious if there might be some hidden gems I'm missing.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2016, 11:00:26 am »

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2016, 06:23:56 pm »

Depending on the version of windows your phone runs, wouldn't anything that runs on a really low-end PC with mouse-only-controls also run on your phone? I thought that was the entire point of the new versions of Win on phones. There's even x86 phones and tablets available......

Almost to the point that you could load up an Android emulator if you really think that you're really missing out on stuff.

There's probably at least the Open series of games ported to it (OpenXcom, OpenTTD, OpenTyrian, OpenPanzer, FreeCiv, FreeHeroes2, FreeCol, VCMI, FantasyGeneral, etc). But I thought there was at least some windows support on a windows phone, so there could be tonnes of good stuff available too. Try and see if you can get a decent file manager to load up some old Win games. Depends on if yours is ARM or x86, but I'm pretty sure some non-Dos-Box'd stuff might be worth a try. I'll grab my.sister's phone at some point to try it out myself.

I don't know of they ripped it out, but pure web-based Java based stuff might be available too. Try www.fumbbl.com . Make an account and try and spectate a bloodbowl match. If it works, I'm incredibly jealous.

There's also a fairly ridiculous amount of old java stuff back from the old Nokia/Symbian days, some of which was quite good. The pure java stuff probably doesn't need/want symbian signing or anything (your phone wouldn't run that stuff anyway), but my knowledge of exactly what Windows phones can and can't do is pretty limited. I actually want one, because I thought they were "better" in a pseudo-x86 sense, even if they are not as well adopted by the masses.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 06:52:28 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2016, 08:12:57 pm »

Depending on the version of windows your phone runs, wouldn't anything that runs on a really low-end PC with mouse-only-controls also run on your phone? I thought that was the entire point of the new versions of Win on phones. There's even x86 phones and tablets available......

Windows Phone is pretty much entirely different from the desktop OS. If an app was built with UWP, it may work on both. Phones are all ARM at the moment - none are x86.

newsamsam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2016, 09:31:46 pm »

PCE(Puzzle to the Center of the Earth).You dig down to the Center of the Earth by matching colors.Once you choose a wrong path,you have to go platforming the way back from the path you digged.So it actually needs a lot of thinking and planning.

Also recommend Games made by hap Inc.They are simple,weird and funny.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2016, 05:28:45 pm »

A little side scrolling shoot'em up that I've been playing recently is Toon Shooters 2: The Freelancers. Very much free-to-play, no overwhelming grind, nice aesthetic, and easy controls. No timers, no stamina, no ads (except for freebies), play as much as you want to when you want to. I have no idea how they'll make their money. Which I'm fine with.

The main selling points of it are nice cartoonish graphics and online (cross-platform) multiplayer. Android/iOS/PS4 I think. It's got five or six "characters" to choose from, each with a different weapon loadout and super-bomb-thing. You power up your character's main stats (permanently) before the level through collected cash, and "P" pods give you bigger/better attacks throughout the level, so it's pretty standard fare. You can choose two weapon side-pods/wingmen, allowing you to vary a character up a bit, but you only get to use them after collecting the 2nd and 5th "P" pod. Two lock-on missile pods tend to be a good "take anywhere" option, but there's a fair few thingies to choose from and try out.

So far it's been quite fun. All the upgrades are cheap enough to buy with collected free currency (I've maxxed out two characters already in a few days of playing), but it also rewards grinding by letting your characters level up through kills. I don't actually know what leveling does, it probably gives you a tad more damage and HP though.

Control isn't bad, but it can feel a bit "jiggly" sometimes. Still, it's responsive enough once you get used to it, and even tricky tunnel sections are pretty easy after a while. You can change the sensitivity if you want, I find medium to work well on my tiny phone. Since it's just touch-screen/auto-fire and a super button, it's easy enough to play. Sometimes your super glitches so it just charges your laser (R-type style), but this tends to fix itself by the next section.

When you get a good connection, MP is pretty fluid and quite rewarding. It uses the revival system, so it's rather satisfying to try and hold on through the hard bits until you can revive your dead team mates. Without a good connection it's like a slide show, damn near unplayable, although it seems to change level to level, and section to section. Don't know why. Very "spritey" sections slow it to a crawl sometimes, yet sometimes it's a smooth as butter on different runs. It probably doesn't help that my phone is pretty crappy, or that I'm in Australia (US/Japan/UK and Malaysian(?) servers I think. All vary a lot in connection speed, but there's no penalty in leaving a room and joining another if that one's connection is bad).

It's a PS/xbox port, to the point that there's still A/B control prompts, but it's a shoot'em up, so this isn't a problem. It's not exactly complicated. No actual exit button either, which seems to be an increasing trend in mobile games, so you've got to task kill it to close it properly. There's weird level glitches too (non-loads, flying backwards, zoom-ins, borked bosses), but just exit that game and jump back in.

The main starter character is pretty damn good, so you're not stuck having to buy something that can actually complete levels (at maxxed bought stats and lvl 6 it absolutely wrecks some bosses with missiles. This took me about two days to get up to, but I've been playing a fair bit). The other character I've got is a healer bear, which is insanely good and cheap to get. It looks crappy until you realize that the healing super is also a close-range bomb, and that when you get a few P pods shit starts firing everywhere. Stupidly useful weapon arrangement for a "support" character, that still does pretty good damage.

Anyway, try it out. Shoot'em ups are one of the few genres that mobiles can actually do well, and this one is quite good. Small footprint on your phone (<8mb on phone, 64mb on SD), so it can't hurt to have something sitting alongside Tyrian for when you're bored. Just for the MP aspect really.

Try and watch a few ads sometimes, just to keep the MP servers running :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 06:27:00 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2016, 04:52:24 pm »

Well, finished it. Turns out this unlocks "Hard" mode, which is quite a bit harder. So I guess I'll go through it again.

Bear character is best character. Having wall runner lasers and a back shield is so damn useful in so many sections. He ripped up the end boss because of the wall runners (the first section of it, anyway).

I still tend to think 2x homing missiles is the best "general purpose" load-out, but 2x malfurions (forward rapid fire) is good as well. I'll probably need the extra firepower on hard. The extra bullets kind of protect you top and bottom too.

And all the heals for my team.
(usually you spam your super if you think you're about to die, because you get a couple free ones on revival. Bear heal still kills everything, but all of a sudden nobody dies. It's useful, but somewhat anticlimactic for a super spam. Lots of death love.....)

Strangely enough, this is on greenlight on Steam. So that's even more cross-platform MP stuff. Sure, it's a pretty limited little game, but considering the stuff that makes it through greenlight, keep an eye out for it on PC soon. Assuming it's still free, like on mobile.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 07:22:48 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2016, 10:06:55 pm »

Finally tried The Battle of Polytopia. It's great.

It's a Civ-lite game, but done very well. Incredibly easy to play, surprisingly deep in its strategic possibilities, well presented and fun. So good that I'm actually going to buy the other races as a way of supporting the developer. Anyway, try it out. I can't really do it justice on how good it is. It got a one sentence mention here before, now it's got a paragraph. As soon as they get internet multiplayer support in, it'll deserve an entire damn essay. Civ good, but quick and free (although I have my suspicions that the bought races are "better" than the four free ones, especially Luxidoors for their sheer versatility and power. At worst they're differently laggy Oumagi). This is one of the best strategy games I've played on mobile, with a simple implementation and an easy-to-use interface, while not being entirely braindead or annoying. Local MP is available already, which sounds like it would be heaps of fun to try out.

Hey, I actually did buy them all. All of them. That's a first for me for any game. Gotta use those Xmas presents wisely 8)

------------

If you've ever tried Triangle Wizard on PC, have a quick go at Rogue Dungeon RPG. There's no real wizarding to be had, but it has a very similar feel to it. Better loot system, easier controls, very similar level-up customization, better (?) graphics (kind-of ?). Anyway, it's a fun little timewaster lootgrinder RPG. I don't know why, it shouldn't be. But I played it for far longer than most of these sorts of things on android, yet in many ways, this has few redeeming features. For some reason "it just works". Not exactly a longterm game to play, but strangely enjoyable.

I'm still not entirely sure if I wasted a few hours of my life on this or not. I mean, I know I did, but I'm considering it research-time into minimalism in games design. It barely works, but the bits that do are good.

This is braindead simple, but sometimes that's exactly what you want. More loot, and a few decisions to make. Nothing more.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 01:06:47 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2016, 02:50:12 am »

I've been enjoying Weapons Throwing RPG, for Android, lately. The name, is... uh... yeah.

Basically, combat is 1v1 in an button-press match where you're throwing weapons at each other. There are three weapon types that attack on a high/mid/low arc. Each weapon has durability which is effectively an HP bar for the weapon if it collides with an incoming weapon. Each weapon has its own cooldown, as well as consuming a bit of resource. You also only have three item slots at the start, so you have to decide what weapons to pack and if you want restoratives. There's more to it than just that, like familiars that habe additional effects, and bonus abilities as your weapons level, but that's the core gameplay.

After finishing the first section, there's a few viable options. For example, I've been using two mid weapons-- one with average stats, and one with super low durability, but really high damage. Use the first weapon as a shield to ensure the second one hits.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2016, 03:02:56 am »

Turns out the other "p2w" races in Polytopia are actually kind of balanced. It depends on the start you get (and yes, Luxi can go "meh starting position, Oumagi Riding it is then"), but there are still decisions to be made.

I'll edit this if I find any of them to be horribly OP.

Strangely enough, with a very small sample size of test games, the Robin Hood (Hoodrick) archery civ seems to have the best "builder start". Might have lucked out on it, but between a woodland starting bias, ranged units and woodland defense, they're probably scarier on average than a quick Luxi elephant start for useable and good "bigness", even with a poor start for themselves. Possibly bigger than Imperous into ships for an aggressive start too, that still comes with defensive advantages. There's nothing stopping them early/mid sea pushing with troops, or mountain sitting either, but they've got a start bias towards productive terrain (Imperius'y) and a defensive/movement terrain "advantage" (Xi-Xin'y) straight away, just due to their terrain and tech. Makes it kind of easier to go either way with the two "winning" strats, even though you can't really do either from the word go. Luxidoors do get a wall however, which keeps all the immigrants out (or basically lets you feel safer during economy lag). :P

So far they all seem to be economy lagged compared to the f2p ones, but with interesting starting techs and terrain biases that help them not be weak. Even the fishing one (ie, a production tech that leads to water dominance) is hamstrung by the fact that there's only so much sea immediately available, and only so many fish in it.

----------

Oh yeah. Weapons Throwing RPG. Loved it. Pretty much finished it (didn't max all the things, did all of arena though, but needed room on my phone). Grindy, but endearingly simple mechanics. The stamina timers pissed me off, but you can finish everything in a week or three, so no biggie I guess. I just hate timers. It's the worst part of the mobile genre. Kinda cute, nice, fun game otherwise though.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 06:19:25 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2016, 12:39:22 am »

Has anyone here bought Battlefleet Gothic: Leviathan? And is it any good?

I've heard that later game difficulty is essentially fudging rolls for the tyranids, but I'm still thinking of buying it if it's actually any good. There's apparently promises of new races/fleets, but is the gameplay good? And does it have PvP multiplayer properly implemented (the whole reason for playing BFG). 5k downloads doesn't sound like a huge player pool for getting a quick game in, matchmaking-wise. Even if that quick game is an hour or so in the playing.

Going on a bit of a WH40k spree with my google card xmas present (Templar Battleforce RPG already bought, because the Trese Brothers know how to unbrand a good experience properly. I haven't even tried the demo, but they're a really good developer, and it works fine on my phone), but sitting on the fence with BFG: Leviathan. Loved the TT game, so is the mobile game any good? Worth $10 aussie good?

Or should I just Space Hulk out, considering all the Trese Brothers stuff is on 50% sale over Xmas, so 1/3rd the price of BFG, and pretty damn good anyway (and very space hulky on their other Templar title too).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 01:38:24 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 57