Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 182455 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #540 on: August 01, 2016, 06:06:09 am »

... when your best argument is "well, it's better than Qatar" I think it's time to reconsider your argument.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #541 on: August 01, 2016, 06:26:32 am »

Honestly I'm not sure what my stance on the matter actually is. On one hand, it's the US, and OW is traditionally extremely critical of the US. On the other hand, I'm not really seeing evidence to say the racism situation in the States is too much worse than the average western nation.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 01, 2016, 01:00:51 pm »

It's probably a bit more prominent in the US, just because we have a *lot* of minorities.

When a minority is a really tiny population, they're seen as quaint and a curiosity instead of threatening. There's almost a paternalistic protectiveness towards them. Hence, when an Icelandic farmer hired a Ghanian farmhand back in the 70's, stories were mostly about how he was adjusting to the cold and how he was afraid of snowdrifts. Not "OMG black guy moved in, hide your daughters and valuables".
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:01:53 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #543 on: August 01, 2016, 06:05:51 pm »

Same reason why charities let you sponsor a handful of children instead of donating to a generic "build stuff to help large numbers of children"

Human psychology is weird.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #544 on: August 02, 2016, 06:25:38 am »

Ameripol pls, you have a gorilliion locked threads to talk in

Also lol, nothing much is happening in Brexit news

The skies still rain, economy is fine, Eurozone stagnating, Owen Smith still pretending he can defeat Corbyn, Theresa May doing Theresa stuff, only thing of note really is that Nigel Farage has attacked UKIPs executive committee as being of the lowest grade of people he's ever met, being total incompetents. The executive committee said that UKIP would not be autocratic (effectively the only part of UKIP not micromanaged by Farage was micromanaged by Carswell, or else was just not worth noticing) as it was under Nigel. The current most likely successor to UKIP, Steven Woolfe, has been barred from leadership due to a technical error, meaning their most likely successor has been barred from standing unless he takes legal action xD
Not even UKIP can escape the political class finagling that has plagued Labour and Tories

Keep in mind Steven Woolfe is UKIP's spokesman for migration policy, so he's the most UKIPpy public figure there is short of the big two, and both of the big two show no interest in taking lead of the party

So yeah that's all there's been in the news really, just enjoying the rain and American elections where our news is sorta-samey everyday

Also cov that saracen copypasta is dank

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 02, 2016, 08:02:13 am »

Also lol, nothing much is happening in Brexit news
Nothing but the Honours List, more than half a million workers to be 'sent home' (presumably to be recipricated), the Lords looking to intervene, we have a replacement European Commissioner looking at terrorism, economy stalling, pensions being hit hard, construction industry pausing for thought... Same old same old, I suppose, but that's just from the front pages...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #546 on: August 02, 2016, 09:23:46 am »

Nothing but the Honours List
Not Brexit news, or particularly news for that matter but it's important to some

More than half a million workers to be 'sent home' (presumably to be recipricated)
Sauce pls

This goes against the stated goal of Theresa May, in which she said current Eurolabourers will be allowed to stay if the same is guaranteed for Britons, and that they will be mass deported if the same respect is not given. National leaders have been very respectful so I don't see that happening

The Lords looking to intervene
Theresa May will destroy them

we have a replacement European Commissioner looking at terrorism
European Commissioners looking at terrorism is like European Commissions looking at paint dry

It's more of a symbolic gesture really, that even though we're leaving the EU we still don't like watching Europeans get beheaded and will lend our security help

economy stalling
Surging world growth makes a mockery of Brexit panic
thsi is y uros gotta end austerity fam

pensions being hit hard
EU demands Britain pays pensions of 1,730 Eurocrats in wake of Brexit vote
Playing sad violins rite now

construction industry pausing for thought...
Construction companies thinking is nothing new, everyone is thinking all the time

Same old same old, I suppose, but that's just from the front pages...
Pretty much, nothing actually dank

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 02, 2016, 09:37:23 am »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #548 on: August 02, 2016, 10:27:02 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lookin' bullish, eh m8?
Lookin like a chart for ants
Also lol @ one of the two Independent's source being the Independent

From your article:
Many City of London economists are also expecting a return to recession, or two quarters of negative GDP growth.
The Bank of England is widely expected to cut interest rates from 0.5 per cent to 0.25 per cent on Thursday to support the economy.
Despite the overall weakness of the latest manufacturing survey, Markit/CIPS said the level of incoming new export orders rose for the second successive month in July aided by the recent depreciation of the sterling exchange rate. The pound has fallen around 10 per cent on a trade-weighted basis since the referendum vote.
Be careful whenever you see someone saying "many economists, widely expected" e.t.c, cos it means they didn't get their own source for it lol
Anyways in the above quote, mo exports, and manufacturing has been in constant decline for quite some time cos China steel stronk and the UK is an advanced economy. Anyways China is pissed cos the EU is doing "unjustifiable protectionism", the Chinese should know by now that to get access to muh market, they have to become subject to Brussels 1st

Spoiler: Rofl at the comments (click to show/hide)
Before the Independent got buzzfeeded, they would have Nigel in their columns next to Clegg

Now this is where they've fallen to, trying to cast eternal doom b8

I'm so proud of where they've come

Anyways fam the economy is growing faster than expected, note we're not just talking a single sector of Britconomy like the Indie:
The UK’s economy advanced 0.6 percent on quarter in the three months to June of 2016, higher than a 0.4 percent expansion in the previous period and better than market expectations of 0.4 percent. Industrial production rebounded and posted the biggest gain since 1999, boosted by mining, quarrying and manufacturing while services growth slowed and construction shrank for the second quarter, preliminary estimates showed.
Industrial production jumped 2.1 percent, rebounding from a 0.2 percent drop in the previous period and contributing 0.3 percentage points to growth: manufacturing surged 1.8 percent (-0.2 percent in the previous period); energy supply went up 4.7 percent (0.7 percent in the previous period); water and waste management rose 2.6 percent (2.4 percent in the previous period) and mining and quarrying increased 1.4 percent (-2.2 percent in the previous period). 
Growth in the services industries slowed to 0.5 percent from 0.6 percent in the previous quarter, contributing 0.37 percentage points to growth. Growth in the business services and finance industries eased to 0.5 percent from 0.7 percent and was the main reason behind the reduction in services growth between the 2 quarters.
Construction output fell 0.4 percent, following a 0.3 percent decline in the previous period. 
On a yearly basis, the economy advanced 2.2 percent, better than market expectations of 2 percent and the best performance in a year.
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/gdp-growth

Meanwhile in yurop
Eurozone GDP growth halves as French economy stalls
Can you believe yuropoors don't even have sovereignty I MEAN COME ON IT'S 2016

Anyways Covenant would be able to better explain to you why our manufacturing has been a shit for some time, but at any rate have this old beeb article from the run up to brexit bonanza referendum:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36149185
Poor productivity, weak exports and falling industrial production and construction figures are more than a short term reaction to the vote on 23rd June.
They reveal significant challenges rebalancing the UK economy away from services and household consumption towards manufacturing, as well as the UK's exposure to global economic headwinds such as slower growth in China.
The Office for National Statistics said it had no evidence for or against the slowdown being linked to the EU referendum on 23 June.
We got a longer problem with manufacturing. Do we try to keep competing on the world market for FREEDOM and MAXIMUM FREE TRADE (which has worked out very well for our economy - just not for manufacturing, where it has basically ripped it apart) or do we subsidize manufacturing in the UK with taxpayer shekels in order to keep unprofitable companies afloat.

Also lol
The Bank of England warned earlier this month that uncertainty due to the vote could hurt growth in the first half of this year, and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has downgraded its forecast for the UK economy over fears of disruption if Britain votes to leave the EU.
Chancellor George Osborne told the BBC the fact that Britain was still growing was "good news", but added "there are warnings today that the threat of leaving the EU is weighing on our economy".
"Investments and building are being delayed, and another group of international experts, the OECD, confirms British families would be worse off if we leave the EU".
But economists suggested fears over the impact of Britain's exit from the EU was only partly to blame for the slowdown.
Pantheon Macroeconomics chief UK economist Saumuel Tombs said the UK's economy had been steadily losing pace since 2014, and the boost to the economy from higher household spending and rapid employment growth "had run its course".
"Concerns about Brexit likely played a role in the first quarter slowdown and they probably will take a greater toll on GDP growth in the second quarter. But the downward trend in GDP growth since 2014 suggests that the EU referendum cannot be blamed for all of the economy's ills," he added.
But Capital Economics UK economist Ruth Miller said she expected the slowdown to be temporary.
"Many of the factors likely to be to blame for the first quarter's weakness should prove short-lived. We would not be surprised if growth were to subsequently accelerate in the second half of the year, putting the economy back on track," she added.
Note, the BBC actually names their sources so you can verify what they say

Good job beebles

Tl;dr, growing better than Germoney and France, but there is zero room for complacency, luckily May is competent af

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 02, 2016, 12:19:05 pm »

Nothing but the Honours List
Not Brexit news, or particularly news for that matter but it's important to some
...closing shots by a PM everyone voted against (FCVO 'everyone', slightly less accurately than that 'overwhelming' result for Brexit) to seemingly reward his Remain crew, was the way the paper tried to sell it. I don't think it's actually like that, but it was the anti-Remain press that linked it with Brexit.

And I'm not going to go down each point.  Suffice to say that a majority of papers on the newsstand (representing both pro and anti camps) had Europeesque stories by any reasonable metric. (Making no assertions about the reasonableness of the stories themselves, of course...If I want a laugh, a glance at the Express usually cheers me up, but another surely will if I'm let down on that score.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #550 on: August 02, 2016, 12:27:34 pm »

...closing shots by a PM everyone voted against (FCVO 'everyone', slightly less accurately than that 'overwhelming' result for Brexit) to seemingly reward his Remain crew, was the way the paper tried to sell it. I don't think it's actually like that, but it was the anti-Remain press that linked it with Brexit.
And I'm not going to go down each point.  Suffice to say that a majority of papers on the newsstand (representing both pro and anti camps) had Europeesque stories by any reasonable metric. (Making no assertions about the reasonableness of the stories themselves, of course...If I want a laugh, a glance at the Express usually cheers me up, but another surely will if I'm let down on that score.)
I suppose it's all down to subjective judgement on what's interesting then innit

Personally I just don't care about Cameron much anymore, though now I am at least somewhat empathetic to the plight of someone who was truly surrounded by friends who had flowers in one hand and daggers in the other lol
I mean this is the guy who gave his wife's hairdresser honours, I'm not too bothered seeing him go. Plus the list is mostly a bunch of Remain campaigners who fought with Cameron to keep the EU in the world, so I'm not too bothered if they want to try walking around as Sirs and Dames, they need something to cheer themselves up before they contemplate suicide too much. If they do not at all deserve their place on the list they'll just get blocked by our gov. Not basing this off of any notion of exceptional integrity, nah, the current gov has no loyalty to the previous one.

I looked up whether they had decided to block anyone and sure enough, blocked, his list, all of the shite ones anyways.
I'd probably be more concerned about someone sneaking in honours, but Cameron's lost. He can't get anyone in anywhere, and is done for. I wish him good health and all, may he avoid bacon jokes in peace, this is the last we hear of him.
(Unless he becomes governor of the EU or some dastardly shit).

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #551 on: August 02, 2016, 03:13:42 pm »

Also lol @ one of the two Independent's source being the Independent
Strong independent newspaper don't need no validation

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 02, 2016, 03:31:49 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 02, 2016, 04:04:09 pm »

I can't believe I didn't think of that...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 02, 2016, 08:06:44 pm »

>Aimed Raep
>Burst Raep
>Snap Raep
>Brexit <--
________ |