Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ignore this, since I can't seem to re-open it.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 02, 2017, 07:40:35 pm

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36

Author Topic: The Story of Atölasob (A Community Fort with an Export Challenge)  (Read 60383 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: The Story of Atolasob (An Export Challenge...Among Other Things)
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2016, 11:46:26 am »

Unless you asked for fish, I doubt humans will have 200 of it :P

I didn't know bowyers could create foreign weapons. Well, you can put it on display in the dining or sleeping room, I guess.

For now, grand aboveground spire continues I guess. How many keas remaining in region-pops?

Though regarding marksdwarves, shouldn't off-duty civilians carrying crossbows in their uniforms shoot at any keas that appear?

Btw, the greedy birds can also be stopped dead by locked doors (unlike Tayldis).

Bowyer workshops are built in, and can make crossbows, or bows; the later is foreign because its not an allowed reaction for the dwarven civ. If you get a moody bowyer, you'll always get a crossbow or a bow. Unless you trade for arrows though, bows tend to be useless :

Loving the abovegroundness. I feel like you're putting scorchedgravel to shame though :/
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2016, 03:02:54 pm »

Unless you asked for fish, I doubt humans will have 200 of it :P
Humans aren't sending diplomats yet, so no way to ask for anything.  They will have some, the question is "how much".

I didn't know bowyers could create foreign weapons.
Bowyer workshops are built in, and can make crossbows, or bows;

I had a bowyer create an artifact blowgun back in the 0.31.xx series (I think, it might have been as late as 0.34.xx).  Haven't seen one of those since, though.

For now, grand aboveground spire continues I guess. How many keas remaining in region-pops?

Though regarding marksdwarves, shouldn't off-duty civilians carrying crossbows in their uniforms shoot at any keas that appear?

Which is part of the reason Mooney has so many kills.

Loving the abovegroundness. I feel like you're putting scorchedgravel to shame though :/

I did allow three migrant waves in, before turning the pop cap down.  Having 25 adults (as opposed to 7) helps quite dramatically.

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2016, 08:27:54 pm »

Excerpts from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, expedition leader.

14 Granite 77

The elves came back today, and only brought two pack animals.  I’m pretty sure they’re the same two that visited last year, but it’s so hard to tell them apart.

I was surprised to realize that we are almost halfway through Granite.  Spring has been very quiet so far, with no unwanted visitors.  Most of our time is taken up with producing this year’s quota.

I wonder where Tayldis is?

15 Granite 77

I’ll deal with them later, once all of Logem’s remaining gems have been delivered to the depot.

18 Granite 77

Congratulations, Mooney!

They are the first of our original group to become parents.

But why was Olin making a crossbow?  I had to go tell her, gently but firmly, that we really needed crutches instead.

19 Granite 77

It’s Id’s and Tobul’s name-day today.  They’ve been crawling every chance they get, and now they will no longer be supervised.  While I’m glad that their mothers (Spriggans especially) are going to be working full-time once more, we’re going to have to deal with two more children underfoot.

They do tend to spend so much time in the most inconvenient places.

3 Slate 77

I finally got around to trading with the elves.  They brought some more fruit, which I bought, because you can never have too much booze.  Plus, sometimes a dwarf wants a little variety, though nothing will match Mooney’s rice beer.

They also had a water buffalo bull, so I bought that too.

Before trading:                                                After trading:

Then I had to endure Mestthos’s griping about the water buffalo cow I ordered slaughtered last summer.

She didn’t calm down until I gave her my “solemn, dwarven promise not to butcher this bull.” 

Why can’t she yell at someone else, for a change?

Oh, right.  I’m the “expedition leader.”

7 Slate 77

And the second of our original group!  Congratulations, my friend!

I wonder what Airith and I will have…

15 Slate 77

The elves left…sometime.  I was busy working in the Hole and only just noticed that the depot was empty of their useless wooden stuff.

18 Slate 77

“Airith, Airith!”  Lotu dashed up the Hole’s ramps to the surface.  “Airith?”

Noticing the position of the sun, he realized it was past lunchtime, and headed for the dining room.  He found his wife just finishing up her lunch, rather more slowly than usual.

“Airith!  Wonderful news!  The pumps are working!  I’ve dug out enough bots that we can start walling off that aquifer!  Airith?  Did you hear what I said?  Airith?”

Lotu slipped an arm around her shoulders.  “I’m pretty sure there’s some cassava beer left, you should have some.  And I’m sure NCommander will appreciate a hand in making some of those crafts for quota.  Take a break from building things and just, relax.  Take a week to yourself.  You need a vacation.”

“But…so many jobs…”

“Don’t worry, I’ll make sure they get done.”  That aquifer will just have to wait.  Again.  “Go.”  He gave her a gentle push toward the nearest ramp upward.

22 Slate 77

Lotu found Airith hard at work, back on the roof.

“How are you feeling?”

“Much better!  I had some of that cassava beer, it really hit the spot.  And NCommander let me make a scepter, it was so satisfying.”

“I’m glad to hear it.”  And he went to work next to her.  Maybe now I can get back to that aquifer.

26 Slate 77

Airith called a general meeting, to discuss the various construction projects currently under way.

“So, to conclude, the highest priority projects are the roof and the first level of aquifer walls, but we can’t be in two places at once, given the quota work load this year.  Ideas?”

NCommander piped up.  “We should focus on the roof first.  Mooney did a good job of keeping the keas at bay last summer, but they still got much too close for comfort.”  She shuddered at the memory and protectively cuddled baby Thikut closer to her chest.

Mestthos disagreed.  “We should focus on walling off the aquifer.  Until we can get below it, there’s no access to fish, and no way to meet that quota without relying on humans, and they’ve proven what a bad idea that is before.”

One by one, the other adults weighed in, some on the roof side, some on the aquifer side.  Eventually, as the arguments grew more heated, Lotu stood.

“Alright, it sounds like we’ve all had a say, why don’t we put it to a vote?  Majority rules.”

That was fair.

“All for walling off the aquifer, raise your finger.”  Looking around the room, he counted.  Airith, the two ex-fisherdwarves, Dr. Urist, Sodel, Logem, and he himself.

He sighed.  “The roof it is.” 

Why are so many dwarves scared shitless of something smaller than a cat?  Can’t they see how important breaching the aquifer is?

Excerpt from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, expedition leader.

28 Felsite 77

That pearlash is going to be a Armok's own bitch to complete.  Who can I spare to work on it...?
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
OOC: Spring was very quiet.  About the only thing of note was that I finally was able to start on the aquifer.

Tomorrow's going to be a fairly long day at work, so I may or may not get an update in.

Current character list:
Spoiler: Starting Seven: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: First Migrant Wave: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Second Migrant Wave: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Third Migrant Wave: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Births: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPCs: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 09:40:10 am by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2016, 05:27:13 am »

How many dwarves do you have producing ash/potash/pearlash on repeat?

It might be sensible to have one dwarf for each thing....Higher skill does it faster.

I'm surprised at Kadǒl receiving attention. What did she do that it left her away from people, uncreative, unoccupied, unable to improve and lacking abstract thoughts despite the presence of library?

Imported wealth slowly going down...Imported bulls slowly going up.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 06, 2016, 02:45:06 pm »

How many dwarves do you have producing ash/potash/pearlash on repeat?

It might be sensible to have one dwarf for each thing....Higher skill does it faster.

1 on each.  Spriggans is the highest level (she's Talented, if she hasn't gained another while I wasn't looking).  And with the need for farmers (cloth/replacement clothes so I can import more stuff), craftsdwarves and carpenters, I can't spare another three to set up a new chain.

I'm surprised at Kadǒl receiving attention. What did she do that it left her away from people, uncreative, unoccupied, unable to improve and lacking abstract thoughts despite the presence of library?

I'm not entirely sure...  I only noticed her because she was blinking the yellow distracted arrow.  Airith is the Architect/Mason/second mechanic (after Dr. Urist took the winter off), and has been working flat out to make the windmills/pumps and initial stone blocks to wall off the aquifer (she only seems to stop to eat/sleep/drink, I hadn't noticed her taking a break to do anything green/purple at that point)).  She also has been doing construction work (more so recently as her other jobs get finished) and hauling things around.  I forced her to take a woodcrafting vacation, and she's doing well now.

-Dame de la Licorne

Lyra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2016, 05:40:35 pm »

This story looks really good and unique - I don't think I've ever paid attention to export agreements before, personally.  Sign me up for a dwarf, please.  (I'll take Olin the carpenter, if nobody else has)

Also, are you using any mods?  I'm sure I've never seen "cave thistle" before.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2016, 06:50:23 pm »

1 Hematite 77

No matter how I look at it, I think I’m going to have to accept that the pearlash is a write-off.  We just don’t have enough dwarves. 

Spriggans is managing to keep Edzul and Mestthos supplied with ash, even with having to occasionally go out and get her own wood.

NCommander and Lorbam need help to make the crafts.  If I have to choose between completing one quota item and completing three, I have to go for three.  So I’m assigning myself and Logem to help them.

Now that the critical windmills are complete, I’m going to tell Uvash and Olin to focus purely on crutches for the next month or so.  We have enough power that I can sneak in some work on the aquifer when I need a break, so the remaining windmills can wait.

Minkot, Erib, Zutthan and Sodel are doing well with the cloth, and should be able to make enough extra that we can finally start replacing our clothes.  A true dwarf wears only silk, but anything would be better than these things, which are starting to get very thread-bare in places.

The Pillars of Ink are the only ones keeping us supplied with food, and Ral must continue brewing.  I can only imagine the mutiny if I took her off that job.  The water is...'disgusting' doesn't go far enough.  And I think the booze is the only thing keeping us sane.

Likewise, the Pale Roads are needed to get wood for Spriggans’s crew, and protect those of us who need to leave the stockade to fetch it.

That leaves Olon, Dr. Urist, Airith, Mebzul and Catten.  Olon still has backpacks to finish, and we need the others (when Dr. Urist deigns to leave her library) to bring wood to everyone else, especially Spriggans, so she can keep feeding her voracious fire.

Adding another pearlash production chain would require three dwarves.

I don’t have three dwarves.

2 Hematite 77

Axe over his shoulder, Lokum moved toward another tree in his assigned chopping zone.

Spriggans is really zooming through that wood.  We might actually make the whole quota this year, he thought cheerfully, swinging his axe in a nicely controlled arc.  And I'm getting better at this chopping thing, too.  Imic should be pleased.

A yelp sounded from above, followed by crashing in the branches.  Lokum looked up to see a yellow-eyed kobold frantically grasping at various small branches, as its body proceeded to take the straightest path down.

Lokum jumped backwards in surprise as it landed in a heap almost at his feet.

“Hey!”  Lokum shook his axe threateningly.  “Whatcha think yer doing?”

A rustling came from a nearby tree, and Tayldis, easily recognizable now with his massive scars, scrambled down the trunk as the first kobold backed away.

“G’wan!  Git!  Git!”  Lokum chased after them, brandishing his axe.

A third kobold popped out of concealment near the stockade wall and glared for a moment.

If looks could kill…

But then it, too, decided discretion was the better part of valor and took off after the others.

“Bringin’ friends, now are ye?  We’ll see what Lotu has t’say ‘bout that.”

3 Hematite 77

“Tayldis was back?”  Lotu didn’t seem concerned.  “Well, he can wait.  We need to make quota.  Go back to chopping.”

Wha –?

Looks like I’m the only to see the problems here.  Well, he won’t get by me.

Lokum shouldered his axe, and headed back out determinedly.

“Kobolds, look out!”

11 Hematite 77

The humans are here!  I hope they brought fish.  I’ve ordered all the excess barrels, bins, splints and crossbows moved to the depot. 

Naturally, we’ll keep the best for ourselves.  What’s a home without masterworks scattered about everywhere?

20 Hematite 77

I took time to trade today.  I can ill-afford it, but we need the fish.

Looking through their packages, I was disappointed to see that they only had one hundred fish.  Still, 100 is better than nothing, so I bought them.  I also bought all of their thread and cloth, so that Sodel can start working on clothes as soon as the quota cloth is done.

I almost overlooked one bag, hiding in the pile.  I probably paid way too much for it, but I really didn’t want to risk not getting it.

We now have – I can almost hear the drumroll – kenaf seeds!

Unfortunately, they don’t seem to grow in the shrubland where we have our current plot, so Minkot is going to have to build a new one in the jungle.

I haven’t even told her yet, but I think I can already hear her complaining about the extra work.

I also bought an alpaca, very cheaply, for 220 coin-equivalents.  Zutthan claims that he can handle the extra work, and has already sheared the animal.  I guess spinning must not be that different from threshing.

Before trading:                                              After trading:

25 Hematite 77

Work continues on the quota.  Working alongside NCommander, Lorbam and Logem is pretty satisfying, with good-natured insults and jokes winging back and forth.

[OOC: Logem is on the left, NCommander is in the middle, Lotu is on the right.  Lorbam is currently eating, but will claim the first crafter’s to be vacated next, so all three are almost always in use.]

6 Malachite 77

NCommander pointed out that several of last year’s puppies are now old enough to train, but she doesn’t have time because of the crafts we have to make.

I told her to make the time, that Lorbam can take over her crafter’s full-time for a while.  War dogs are an easy deterrent for thieves.

She seemed rather excited at the change of pace.

I envy her.

7 Malachite 77

Lotu sat back from his workbench and arched his back, rolling his shoulders, stretching the kinks out of his neck.

I need a break from this.

Getting up, he started for the food stockpile, then changed his mind.

The humans won’t be here much longer, and I really need to talk to them.

A quick walk later, he entered the humans’ camp, near the depot. 

“Yes?  Here to trade some more?”

“No, but I have a request.”

Atthem motioned for him to continue.

“That lungfish, any chance you could bring more next year?”

Atthem looked puzzled.  “More?  But, you’ve got plenty of fish.  I mean, dwarves are masters of the caverns, and I’ve heard stories of their bounty.”

Lotu shook his head, not bothering to explain.  “But we don’t have your kind of fish, and that’s the kind we ne- want.  Can you bring, say, more than 200 units of it?”

“200 units?”  There was a quiver in his voice that might have been suppressed laughter.  Or amazement.  Or shock.  Lotu wasn’t sure, but other than the insult to his dignity, it wasn’t important, and he let it pass.

“Yes.  200 units.  At least.”

The trader shrugged.  “Can’t say.  Can’t promise.  It depends on what I can get at my coastal stops.”

“But –“

“The best I can say is, ‘maybe’.”

And no matter how Lotu tried, Atthem wouldn’t budge.

11 Malachite 77

I hope they bring more fish…

14 Malachite 77

And now we have six children running around and getting underfoot.

27 Malachite 77

NCommander has finished training the puppies, so we now have a total of nine war dogs.  I’ve ordered our militia to take one each, with the remaining three guarding the entrance.  That should take care of any kobolds that Lokum seems worried might be wandering around unseen.

Thankfully, NCommander’s back to crafting now. 

10 Galena 77

Something’s been bugging me for the last week.  I finally realized what it was.

I haven’t seen nor heard any hint of a kea.  No one else has, either, but the consensus seems to be that they’re planning something.  I’m not sure I believe that, but I’m glad work on the roof is slowly progressing, as the four haulers work on it when they can.

It’s only wood, not stone, but it is a major improvement.  All of the workshops are finally under shelter, so we only need to go out into the soaking rain when we need to grab wood. 

I’ve almost gotten used to the steady drumming above my head.

I’ve noticed some ravens hanging around, but they just watch us with those beady little eyes.

19 Galena 77

Olin has spent too much time freeing wood from the tangled jungle vines.  That jungle’s finally gotten to her.  She walked in for dinner, struck a pose and sang, “My name is Lyra now.”

Mooney got the strangest look on his face, I had to struggle not to laugh.

It’s official.  We’re all slowly going crazy in this hill-less place.

28 Galena 77

This is going to be worse than last year.

Crap.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
OOC: Nothing much got done this summer, other than quota work.  So far this has been brutal.

@Lyra: Dwarfed (current status in the spoiler below).  I am using a personal mod, which has aurochsen added (a [PET] that can act as a pack animal and can be milked, because I think they're cool), some vermin spiders (none of which have shown up in this embark) and some more cavern plants (cave thistles for extra fiber, and some others that are edible and/or millable) because I like variety.  I also removed some of the giant insects (ticks and lice just bother me). 

Current character list:

Also:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 06:52:16 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2016, 07:31:56 pm »

You have bit of overproduction, but seems like no matter - everything remaining other than goblets seems far away. Full 40% of requests unsatisfied to about halfway extent.

I hope that ginormous roof and 960 power is worth whatever that brings.

As for clothing, considered walking around in leather armor and bone greaves and high boots? It's light and durable, and with a flask/rumskin can carry booze with you to everywhere.

* For Temperate broadleaf forests, I find brown recluses pretty common. Otherwise, I suppose you'd need at least bit evil area for spider webs aboveground in other biomes.

@Lyra: Yeah, can see it in inventories as well with forest spider silk*. Dame seems also be using an alternate tileset.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2016, 07:55:57 pm »

You have bit of overproduction...
Overproduction is necessary, I learned in the first export attempt (second year), because dwarves keep stealing some of the useful items (like backpacks and wearables).  The cloth I can use for bags and other stuff, so I'm not worried about that overproduction or the food.  The extra crutches...they were on repeat.  I'm not perfect.  *shrugs*

I have considered the bone greaves, but I couldn't spare any of the woodcrafters this year.  I thought I could get all of the crafts done, at the very least. :-\

that ginormous roof
Stopping the kea-related cancellation spam is worth anything.

Dame seems also be using an alternate tileset.

I'm using straight ASCII (the square 16x16 version included in the vanilla game).  Every other tileset just makes my eyes hurt.  I'm running it on a Mac, maybe that's the difference you're noticing?

-Dame de la Licorne

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2016, 12:45:48 am »

Dwarves wouldn't be wearing backpacks if you wouldn't be ordering them to carry food in it when setting up squads (it's default option), I think. That said, I've encountered buying highly valuable bag from caravans myself (for hospital/main hall) then having it stolen for seeds :D

The crutches...Eh, some are nice to have, but are you not using manager or workflow to fulfil quotas?

As for the kea-related spam, I generally instead locate fort 1 level lower than build a roof. You need very little on surface level - aboveground plants can be grown on exposed soil and grass will grow inside/aboveground for wagon grazers, though they're typicallly better off slaughtered. Windmills can provide power without hole if built first, and even if not using that 24 holes is much easier to cover up with them than several hundred. Though yes, this does kill some of the point of embarking on dry tropical broadleaf + grassland.

For the keas that remain, I take the "deadly bait near map edge" plan didn't pan out?

Yes, you have 1 layer less to work with, but that's an annoyance that has to be dealt with. And what keas come through wagon entrances can be dealt with by diagonal weapon traps followed by cage traps or dogs a bit behind for the ones who are fast enough to run past them.

Additionally, if you sticked wild grazers or whatnot from cages into inescapable hole (pit through retracting bridge over an empty room) without taming them first, they would breed without needing to graze while preventing further keas from coming in from that biome till they live.

As for the tileset, I noticed that your dwarves have beards.

However, checking the curses 800x600 (I'm using 640x300 myself - mostly, it has less whitespace in images, though on-screen the differences are pretty unnoticeable) does show them having them. Surprising to me, I thought that was added by players!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 12:56:01 am by Fleeting Frames »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2016, 08:40:09 am »

I had a bowyer create an artifact blowgun back in the 0.31.xx series (I think, it might have been as late as 0.34.xx).  Haven't seen one of those since, though.

Just got a blowgun with the latest .43.05 version, so I think it's fixed (though it may also be appropriately rare).
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2016, 02:47:20 pm »

1 Limestone 77

Olon has completed all of the backpacks for quota, so that’s one less thing to worry about.  Now he’s working on some sets of armor for the Pale Roads and better quality quivers for the Pillars of Ink.

2 Limestone 77

Ustuth has gained some skill in marksmanship, though she still misses the practice targets more than she hits them.

3 Limestone 77

We chased off another three kobold thieves today.  They aren’t getting past us, so when will they give up?

9 Limestone 77

“Caravan sighted!”

The call echoed through the massive room, and the frantically laboring dwarves froze.  Time was up, and here came the accounting.

As they started to move the various bins and barrels to the depot, Lotu went to meet Logem Echoworked.

Echoworked started off with the latest news.

What do I care who is in charge of a tiny little hamlet half a world away?  Why couldn’t it have been that crazy-ass Bomrek in Swordgangs who got replaced?

As before, Lotu ordered leather, cloth, and thread.  And we also need weapons-grade metal.  Imic’s squad can’t depend on capper battle axes forever.

Then the moment came.

With trepidation, Lotu accepted the list Echoworked held out.  Scanning it, he burst out, “Really?  No funnin’?”

Echoworked nodded.  “That’s what Bomrek told me Swordgangs needed.”

Lotu almost couldn’t breathe from relief.  This one actually might be doable!

“Oh, there is one, or rather, two more things.” Echoworked suddenly remembered.

Aaaanndd, here’s the catch.

“Swordgangs has lost five dwarves since the last census, so the next quota needs to accommodate only 45 dwarves.”

That’s not so bad. “And, the other thing?”  Lotu was afraid to ask.

“I have a letter for you from King Dodok Charmedmirrors.”  Echoworked handed it over.

That's bad.

Lotu barely acknowledged the farewell, all of his attention centered on the folded vellum sheet in his hand.

Everything is better after a drink.

Slipping the unopened letter into his pile of Lorbam’s monthly reports, he headed off to get thoroughly hammered.

12 Sandstone 77

For the last month, every adult dwarf in Finderboards has spent every waking moment to bring what we have to the depot, where the merchants and Lorbam tallied it up.

We now have nothing more to send.  Lorbam gave me the following summary.

King Dodok won’t be pleased.

And we need more bins.

14 Sandstone 77

The caravan left, taking our hard-made goods with them.  In exchange they left us with a bag each of pig tail and cave thistle seeds, some thread, and as much leather as the import restriction allowed.  We’re going to need it.

Before trading:                                                 After trading:

15 Sandstone 77

Lotu settled at the table, a cup of sand pear cider near his left hand.  He sat without moving for several minutes then, with a sigh, pulled a sealed letter from the pile to his right.

This is a well-crafted sheet of vellum.  It is decorated with hanging rings of andesite and tower-cap wood.  It is embossed with a masterfully-crafted image of a dwarf and dwarves in wax.  The dwarves are raising the dwarf.  The image relates to the ascension of Dodok Charmedmirrors to the position of King of the Figure of Diving in the year 1.  This image is the personal seal of the king.

Sliding his thumbnail beneath the lump of wax, he pried it off and unfolded the single sheet.

Attention: Lotu Sizzlediron

Last year’s failure to meet the requirements of the settlement Swordgangs is unacceptable.  Because they were missing bracelets, the five primary spear-making dwarves were unable to focus and produced particularly shoddy spears.  The lack of gems to decorate said spears rendered them unbalanced, making it impossible to hit a target.  I expect better results in the future.

Signed: His Majesty by the Grace of Armok, King Dodok Charmedmirrors, Cheesemaker

Leaning his elbows on the table, he dropped his head into his hands.

He stayed that way for a long time.

20 Sandstone 77

The dwarves had gathered for what was quickly becoming their yearly Quota Meeting.  Lotu handed around copies of the new export request.

“I think, with a little shuffling of duties, we can do this.”  He started.

“That’s what you said two years ago.”  Sodel pointed out.

“Yeah, but look at it. We don’t need to make anything complicated, like the pearlash this last time, and we don’t have to worry about something we can’t provide, like the fish.”

“But we can’t make that much leather.”  Erib protested.  “We don’t have anywhere near that many animals.”

Lotu nodded.  “That’s why I’ve already asked Olon to reserve the required leather.  What’s left will cover the armor and the backpacks, with some left over for our use.”

“Yeah.  We need armor.”  Imic insisted.  “I can’t expect my guys to keep going out in nothing but the clothes on their backs.”

Mooney nodded in agreement.  The Pillars of Ink had the same problem.

Olon said, “I can make the backpacks, no problem.  But I’m going to need help to make the armor, too.”

Mestthos jumped at the opportunity.  “I’ll help!  I can work with muskox leather, right?”

“We don’t need you at the kiln, so that would be great.  Now, Spriggans and Edzul, we’re going to need you to help Erib and Minkot in the fields.  With the new types of seeds, I’m going to need to dig out two underground farms, so we’ll need more planters.”

Spriggans frowned.  “But there’re still trees to burn.”

“The trees’ll still be there when we need you back at the furnace.  Right now, we need cloth production more, to make clothing.  Ours is starting to wear out, so we need to replace it too.”

“That’s what’m afraid of.”  Spriggans muttered.

“All right.  Any ideas for powder?”

Mebzuth volunteered, “We’re swimming in sand down on the bottom level.  If I have enough bags, we can send that.”

“I can make you some more.”  Sodel offered.  “Especially if Lorbam keeps splitting his time between the cafters’ and the loom.”

“What about the spears?  We don’t have any metal to make them with.”  Airith asked.

But Lotu seemed to have an answer for everything.  “Training spears.  We can make them out of wood, and they’re still spears.”

“What about us?”  Airith indicated herself, Catten and Dr. Urist.

“We need wood haulers from where Imic, Lokum and Udil have been busy chopping and, unless you all have a strong preference for something else, that’ll be your job.”

By the time the dwarves left the common area, their earlier depression had been replaced by, not hope exactly, but a more positive outlook. 

28 Sandstone 77

"The keas are back!”

The cry came from Catten, as she abandoned the log she was carrying in favor of taking refuge inside the stockade.

Mooney’s reaction was immediate.

“Ustuth!  Besmar!  Get some bolts and get on the roof, now!  Move it, move yer lazy arses up there!”

28 Timber 77

With the Pillars of Ink standing watch above and discouraging the Kea Menace from close approaches, the month of Timber has passed uneventfully, as we got to work on the quota.

Lorbam’s meticulous records show progress on all fronts.

While I don’t know how many items of clothing are actually owned, if we can double these numbers, at the least, by next Limestone, we should be able to make the full quota, for the first time.
OOC:  Current character list:

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2016, 03:05:28 pm »

Got to say... You write quite a lot ! ^^

Hard to keep up, but the content is of ☼Quality☼ !
How long does it usually take you to write on post ?  :P

For the next year : this new quota should be defenitely easier than the 200 clear glass ! :)
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2016, 04:59:56 pm »

How long does it usually take you to write on post ?  :P
It depends on what happens each season, but I make detailed notes as I play, and then sit down to write the season as a whole (and I don't always include everything directly).  It usually takes about an hour or two (part of that is uploading the pictures).  The first few story posts, so much was happening (and I had to lay so much groundwork) that I broke up the first three seasons even further, but now seasonal updates seem to work well.

Fortunately, DF is an awesome story generator, and I only have to fill in the gaps.  The hardest part is trying to do so in a way that's actually interesting, when everyone who's played more than a couple of forts knows more-or-less what to expect, generally, and otherwise poking fun at obviously buggy or sometimes unexpected behavior.

If there's any RPing or specific dwarf-related requests between posts, I also try to take that into account, and use it to make the story richer/more interesting.

For the next year : this new quota should be defenitely easier than the 200 clear glass ! :)
It wasn't, quite, clear glass.  It was pearlash, so two steps short.  If it had been clear glass (with the need to make charcoal, because I don't have access to magma and DFHacking it in feels like an exploit, and needing to include the glassmaker's shop in the production chain), I wouldn't even have tried.

Thanks for reading!

-Dame de la Licorne

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2016, 05:30:04 pm »

These kobolds seem quite harmless. Daggers are useless, but see if any of them wears a whip to make lasher military from?

Swordsgangs is going to need more food, now. I guess Bomrek assumed fish was no problem last time....Unless starvation hits and the settlement falls. Then Swordgangs will need no food. I wonder what king will say to that?

Wood hauling: I can't help but plug: Have you considered minecarts?

Though to be honest, I don't usually bother myself either :p

The grand roof is almost complete. Magnificent, the whole thing reminds me of some human farming outpost - especially with the windmills. One possible use of it that springs to mind is lining the inner areas with backed seats (cancellation spam) outlooking windows, then carving fortifications there to safely look over the "lessened" hills and see anything that approaches.

Btw, word of warning: I believe the windmills side tiles are passable (lime green Xs), which means keas can fly in through them. Not sure if your power train is secure.

On new mandate:
Leather: Without caravan-bought leather, the timing could be bit tight, but a decent poultsplosion could take care of it.

Of course, I'm not sure how much you have on hand in addition to the earmarked 180 - leather armor and backpacks require another 180.

For once, the storyline is nice for training spears are quite fitting to send. Guess they too have problems with king's mandate?

Footwear, legwear: If you're using dfhack, go into stocks - (e)nchanced view and do a search for owned.

Alternatively, if using DT, check if anybody is going without pants/shoes/socks and then multiply together for how much you have.

Alternatively × 2, make two stockpile for footwear and legwear underneath the trade depot that are the right size to contain all that you need. When it is full, so is your need for now.

Powder: That's about 5 bags, right? Let the hunt for bags begin!
It wasn't, quite, clear glass.  It was pearlash, so two steps short.  If it had been clear glass (with the need to make charcoal, because I don't have access to magma and DFHacking it in feels like an exploit, and needing to include the glassmaker's shop in the production chain), I wouldn't even have tried.
Looking at wiki's exploit article, the word means more "vanilla game things that are unintuitive to our human minds/too good compared to what my culture suggests should be best/trivialize a difficult thing". Painting magma in is a different - however, I believe you gener....Ahquifer, oh right.

Still, I guess 200 jobs x3 with lot of handling is about thrice as much to handle for 3 dwarves in a year. This sort of intuitive sense is useful...Comes out to little more than 5 days per pearlash with 3 dwarves working on it. Hm, with 1 dwarf....<2 pearlash per month?

That sure feels like a low amount. Surprising.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 05:33:28 pm by Fleeting Frames »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36