Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ignore this, since I can't seem to re-open it.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 02, 2017, 07:40:35 pm

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 36

Author Topic: The Story of Atölasob (A Community Fort with an Export Challenge)  (Read 60361 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of Atolasob (A Community Fort with an Export Challenge)
« Reply #330 on: January 06, 2017, 12:37:08 pm »

Really, really well done.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 06, 2017, 07:19:06 pm »

Excerpts from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, expedition leader.

07 Moonstone 85

Nil has finished carving the tracks, so I sent him down to start working on bedrooms as I dig them out.

Now we just need to build a minecart for the completed west and east tracks.  And finishing some floor at the upper end would probably help, too.

15 Moonstone 85

A number of poults and puppies have grown up.  Because we have plenty of war animals, I ordered new dogs slaughtered.  Unlike NCommander, Sigun didn’t protest.  Rather, he looked a bit relieved.

21 Moonstone 85

The first bedroom has been completed!

Because I found another cobaltite vein that Another can make aquifer-warning blocks out of, these first rooms are in what will be Clan E’s enclave.  Uvash and Mestthos were overjoyed at the move into larger quarters, but less enthusiastic about the long walk to everything else.

I don’t think they believed me when I said everyone else was moving down eventually.

22 Moonstone 85

Uvash’s freed room has been temporarily assigned to the tavern, as a guest room.  We still need to get roofs on the permanent guest rooms, but somehow there’s always something more important or interesting to do.

26 Moonstone 85

“No, not that pair of trousers!  Take this sock first, it’s nicer and someone else might try to ‘borrow’ it.”  Mestthos was busily directing the move.

With a sigh, Uvash picked up the sock and headed down.  Looking around, Mestthos spied a glove lying forgotten in a corner.  Grabbing it, she followed her husband.

Reaching their new room, they looked around.  A orange wood bed had been placed against one wall, but the rest of the 3x3 room was bare.

At least we’ll have plenty of room to store our things.  Mesttos thought, glad to have found one good thing about the move into the depths of the mines.  And Lotu does usually keep his word, even if it takes him years.  And judging from the markings on the walls, he’s planning quite the complex.  She sighed.  Nothing changed the fact that at the moment only she and Uvash would be making the trek.

28 Moonstone 85

As soon as Uvash and Mestthos moved out, Us moved in to the newly appointed guest room.  He celebrated by buying everyone a drink. 

Hmm. 

How quickly can Nil smooth another room?

05 Opal 85

The Udil the Poet has withdrawn from society and claimed a crafter’s.

15 Opal 85

Udil the Poet is clearly not used to hauling big rocks around.  She spent most of the last ten days moving boulders up to the workshop she’s using.

She wanted rock & gems.  Well, that was simple enough.  Now she’s hard at work, shooing away anyone who tries to close enough for a sneak peek.

03 Opal 85

I’ve ordered the caverns walled off again, until Dr. Urist comes up with a system that keeps troglodytes away from the cages (if that’s even possible).  That’s all we’ve caught in the last three months, and I have no use for them.

Imic is agitating for using them to train new recruits.  That would be useful, if we had recruits to train.  In the meantime, they’re taking up stockpile space.

Then again, if Bomrek asks for cages at some point, I’m sure he wouldn’t mind if those cages didn’t come alone.

06 Opal 85

I should be getting used to disappointment.  The dwarf thought irritably.  With the caverns walled off, not only was he forced to temporarily discontinue the ritual, but he also had to shelve the Cawcul Problem, as he thought of it, to the back burner.  Well, as long as I can't do anything, I suppose I can send a note to the Master to apprise him of the human's misinformation bent.

Heading up to the pasture with a rope in hand, he made his way among the animals until he found the one he sought.  Capturing the remaining stray kea, he quickly attached a note to its leg.  I'm going to need get more from the elves in the spring.  But getting them past Lotu...  Is that dwarf's sole source of amusement constantly throwing spanners into my plans?

18 Opal 85

I insisted that the second bedroom Nil smoothed be in Clan Y’s enclave.  Imic has bravely defended us from the very beginning, and deserves such recognition.  Of course, hollowing it out of a microcline cluster didn’t hurt.  NCommander has convinced him that if he squints just right, it looks just like Armok’s own gift, adamantine.

He’s decided to keep his bed in the barracks, but NCommander put her foot down about moving into a larger space, complete with a willow bed.

19 Opal 85

A scepter?  I guess that might come in handy when she’s performing.

But she must still be upset about the Great Artifact Compromise.

20 Opal 85

The gods be praised!

I was starting to think this would never happen.  Oh, my beautiful, darling, Airith.  He’s absolutely perfect!

In honor of the occasion, I sent Nil to smooth our bedroom floor.

04 Obsidian 85

Our room is finished!  It’s not much, yet, but there’s something to be said for more floor area, and a bitter orange wood bed.

Like Uvash’s, our original cramped quarters have been turned into guest quarters.  Mafol promptly snapped it up.

06 Obsidian 85

Another capuchin infestation has made itself known.  Two of them have been trapped in the cages, one of which is a female.  So, as soon as Sigun gets around to training her, we’ll be able to claim a new breeding set of animals.

The Pale Roads made short shrift of the others.

07 Obsidian 85

And now Orda has asked to join us fully.

Another set of hands to haul!  I did another happy dance.

Now, how many long-term residents are hanging around again?

14 Obsidian 85

We still need to move in the furniture, but people are already finding excuses to spend time in the new, spacious, tavern.  By the time we’re done, it really will be worthy of the name “The Candies of Bursting.”

19 Obsidian 85

Sigun has trained the female capuchin we trapped earlier, so we can officially add capuchins to the list of breeding animals.  I guess they're good for some leather, if nothing else.

28 Obsidian 85

Progress continues, on more than one thing.  Mebzuth now has his bedroom, as do the two Clan G dwarves, which makes a total of five temporary guest rooms now available.

And the quota is also progressing.

Will this be the second year in a row that we’ll have managed to complete the entire quota?

OOC: Another season where nothing involved happened, so some digging, smoothing and building got done.  And quite a bit of butchering.  The animals are down from 300+ to 272, with more turkeys to go.  But with a third of the fort training each month during the winter, things slow down quite a bit.
Current character list:
Spoiler: Training in Moonstone: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Training in Opal: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Training in Obsidian: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Scholars (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Children: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPCs: (click to show/hide)

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 06, 2017, 08:25:41 pm »

̛ Huh, Finderboards is growing. Used to be 45 at low point.

Well, with the cloth given on previous mandate, it's no wonder leather and it's unique products are requested again. It's what I'd do, if I couldn't be assed to set up some poultry or something.

Bars...Should have specified metal bars, Bomrek. This will only yield you ash. Or maybe charcoal? Either one could be desirable, given his military desires and need for clear glass.

I got to say, one cool thing about these quotas is imagining how one would use and implement their products.

I slightly wonder what's the replacement lead merchant like? Not that it really matters, though.

̛ Spears are bit weird to me. They're edged, and they have the smallest native contact area on that front - the difference between them and axes on that front is typically magnitude or two.
Even the next best - pick - doesn't have quite the impact per area.

Yet, spears are rarely acknowledged as someone's favourite weapons - mostly due not lopping off limbs so often, I believe, though there's the occassional lodging into wounds.

Hm...Pehaps I should conduct some tests. I know when I pitted a tavernful of human visitors against goblin invasions, a spearman got the most kills, rather than any lasher or maceman.

̛ Hm, how many working citizens are now in Atolasob?

̛ That's the second werechamelon, hm?

Feels kinda rare. Sometimes they show up only month or two after you hit 20 population.

Convenient that animals took the  brunt of it's bites again.

And, oh wow. Seeing your wife die by the hands of your new friends? Even if she's a...was a monster, that's gotta hurt T.T

...And well. Thats' an interesting degree of coordination. Why, for what reward, would one risk their wife?

̛ Augh on the animal pasture. Your FPS...

Are they all grazers? I'd want some cages, stat.

̛ Wait, you've met the tanned hides requirement?

Color me surprised. In fact, 523 tanned hides...When you before had to substitute cloth?

I know you didn't slaughter 523 beasts in a year. What gives?

̛ Hm, I'd be nerveous to make the tracks accessible, unless using lowest speed rollers. Cats get everywhere, and then there come haulers and cleaners, and then come the rest of the fortress for the *pig tail sock*....

I guess capuchins are kinda like cats too on that front, as you don't have any cats right now.

̛ Everyone else expect military, I take it?

Got to remember the cave adaption. Though humans don't have any, so there's that.

̛ Was Udil a dwarf?

Odd that they joined as citizen before mooding. But heh, it's fine. Too bad they didn't get to train in an useful mooding skill, however.

I notice you denote new citizens as "hands to haul". A shame if they could be more useful - but guess not.

̛ There's that cross again.

Hm, could also do small  circles, like this:

+tc+
c++t
t++c
+ct+

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 06, 2017, 08:34:23 pm »

YEESSHHHH, FINALLY!!!

Can he be dorfed as Ryukan? Since hes a boy?

I want to set up a sorta "House of (insert cool name here)"
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 06, 2017, 09:01:49 pm »

I slightly wonder what's the replacement lead merchant like? Not that it really matters, though.

I haven't gotten a good feel for where a new lead merchant might fit.  I have a few ideas, but will have to see how things continue to play out.

̛ Hm, how many working citizens are now in Atolasob?

39 actively working controllable adults.

...And well. Thats' an interesting degree of coordination. Why, for what reward, would one risk their wife?

Why do you automatically think "reward"?  There are other reasons...

̛ Augh on the animal pasture. Your FPS...

Are they all grazers? I'd want some cages, stat.

The non-breeders and babies are in a cage, most of those are breeders and/or grazers.  The FPS actually isn't bad.

̛ Wait, you've met the tanned hides requirement?

Color me surprised. In fact, 523 tanned hides...When you before had to substitute cloth?

I know you didn't slaughter 523 beasts in a year. What gives?

I ordered all of the leather as part of my order the fall of 84.  If you notice, Lotu was able to buy all of that leather (the cheapest ones, of course).  I was afraid the leather-related obsession would continue.

̛ Hm, I'd be nerveous to make the tracks accessible, unless using lowest speed rollers. Cats get everywhere, and then there come haulers and cleaners, and then come the rest of the fortress for the *pig tail sock*....

That depends on where you put the cats...I set things up so that the cats more or less stay far, far away from tracks.

I notice you denote new citizens as "hands to haul".

Since humans can't mood, there's no push to get them into a "useful" profession.  And right now, they have to earn their striples by hauling, after spending two years lounging around, eating our food, drinking our booze, and making merry all the time.

Can he be dorfed as Ryukan? Since hes a boy?

Done.

I want to set up a sorta "House of (insert cool name here)"

I'll try to think of some ideas, but suggestions are welcome for any of the Clans.

- Dame de la Licorne
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 09:07:05 pm by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 06, 2017, 09:39:37 pm »

Since Suggestions are being taken, I Nominate House Whitegold for our house.
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 06, 2017, 10:11:09 pm »

~ Well, you hardly can be very worried about a threat  - just sic the wife on threatener. Admittedly, that may have been exactly what happened.

~ As I suspected, then. But what settlement could provide that much leather?

~ Provided they stay in pasture...Got to burrow the children. That's going to be annoying with your family arrangments.

~ For houses, it'd be neat if the name corresponded to the letter used. 

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 07, 2017, 06:45:11 am »

Imic went in to Airith and  Lotu's room.
"I just wanted to say, congratulations on yer new child. Does 'e 'ave a name yet?"
"Airith wanted to name him Ryukan, and I don't mind, so, Ryukan is his name!"
"Nice name. Creative wording."
"Thank you" said Airith, who was cradling the newborn child.
"Now, there was one ither thing..."
"Is it to do with the capauchins? I thought that they were already trained..."
"No, it's our Armok - damned manager."
"Not again..."
"I'm tellin' ye, she's up to somethin'! I saw... I'm not sure who, but I think it had somethin' to do with her... Set up... Some kind of... Alter, and she just... Chanted."
"Different people have different ways of showing their love to the gods."
"It was like no alter I've ever seen... I'm tellin' ye, she wants us all dead."
"Imic! Stop talking about this in front of the child."
"Sigh..."
"Listen... I'll look into it. Happy?"
"It'll do. Thanks."
He left.
Which left Lotu watching the door that he left through, and
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 07, 2017, 01:31:30 pm »

01 Granite 86

We’ve lost the large rat we tamed last year, and the armadillo as well.  But with the elves coming I think we’ll be OK, given that they always seem to bring animals.

02 Granite 86

What?!

That’s it!  Kill them all!

04 Granite 86

Airith wants to call our son Ryukan.  It certainly sounds suitable for a mighty dwarf, which our boy will definitely become.

07 Granite 86

The troglodyte cages have all been built, and two more babies were born in the meantime.  It’s finally time to let the slaughter commence.

08 Granite 86

They always come when I’m digging…

A dancer, hmm?  We don’t have any of those.

12 Granite 86

The troglodyte massacre took longer than I thought, but Imic dispatched the last one this morning.  And just in time too.

This year I’m actually eager to find out what useless interesting animals they may have brought.  Just in case, I’ve sent some of the low-quality glass stuff lying around, because we’re almost out of worn silk stuff.

13 Granite 86

With all the boys born recently, it’s about time a little girl came along.

17 Granite 86

Since it stopped raining this morning, I decided it was a good day to spend trading instead of mining.  As usual, the elves did bring several animals.  I ignored the ones we can order from Theaterknowledge, but we are now the proud owners of a giant two-humped camel (do they give milk?), a giant weasel, a giant magpie, and a gray langur, for which we now have a breeding pair.  Excellent work, if I do say so myself.

And, predictably, they had brought a kea, too.

I’m going to have the soldiers keep an eagle eye on that thing, make sure it doesn’t sneak into the pasture before the elves leave.

Before Trade:                                                  After Trade:

19 Granite 86

Ever since he could talk he’s been calling himself Bob.  And he’s only getting more stubborn about it.  Today, he started insisting he was the Chosen One, too.

The Chosen One for what?

24 Granite 86

And now Spriggans has a new baby too.

This place keeps growing, slowly but surely.

25 Granite 86

“Waaah!”

Hand on his chest, Lotu struggled to get his breathing back under control, as the human put forth his request.

He had to repeat himself before Lotu understand.

“An entire group of humans?”

“At the moment, our troupe consists of myself and four elves.”

We don’t have any elves as residents.  And that git on the throne did say ‘all possible creatures.’  Though if I take that interpretation, it means I have to find a different solution to the next batch of troglodytes.

“Fine, fine, as long as you get out of my room.”  Lotu waved the newest resident away.  I really need my sleep these days.  Who knew babies could be so needy?

27 Granite 86

Minkot hasn’t had a break from the fields in years.  I’ve sent Udil the Poet to help her out.

02 Slate 86

All of the Founders now have their own bedrooms

Mooney and Lyra moved in with a chestnut bed, while Dr. Urist is just down the hall.  Unfortunately, we don’t have any pine around here, so she had to settle for our last willow bed.

We need more masterfully-crafted beds.  I’ve put Lyra and Uvash on the job.

06 Slate 86

Cawcul has decided that he wants to stay near his wife’s grave.

Not that the werecreature has a grave yet.  That’s a very low priority on my to-do list.  But, as he claims to be an axeman, I’ve sent him over to Imic.  He can make himself useful.

08 Slate 86

The dwarf led Cawcul down the spiraling ramps.  Swiftly deconstructing enough wall to squeeze through, they passed into the caverns.

“Wait here while I set up a few things.”  The dwarf turned away, but had only taken a few steps when a cheery voice hailed them.

“Howdy!  What are you doing down here?”

“Uh…we’re protecting the cavern entrance.”  At least that dwarf has a quick and agile mind. Cawcul thought.

“Ah!  That’s why the wall is down.  Well, I’ve gathered all the webs I can carry, I’ll walk back with you.”  Sodel hadn’t forgotten almost getting walled in soon after the caverns were discovered.

The dwarf agreed, cheerfully enough, but inside he was fuming.  And I was so close to getting rid of that gullible, bumbling human!

10 Slate 86

Someone took a section of the cavern wall down!  And if I find out who, they’re getting thrown into our non-existent jail!  This isn’t a game!

How do I know?  Because we’ve caged a troll!  There weren’t any trolls lurking in the mines five days ago, but there’s definitely one in a cavern cage trap now.  In fact, I have a better idea.  I’m feeding whoever took that wall down to the troll.

Of course, no one is willing to ‘fess up, and no one seems to have seen who did it.  But when I find out…

13 Slate 86

Our first human citizen, Orda, has taken matters into his own hands and approached Mooney about possibly joining the marksdwarves.

After some convincing, Mooney took him down to the firing range for some tests.

The upshot is, we now have another marksdw--er, well, the Pillars have another member.

16 Slate 86

Digging out the new living quarters is proceeding quickly, but the smoothing is happening much more slowly.  However, I have high hopes that everyone will be able to move into new rooms by summer, or end of summer at the latest.

25 Slate 86

I’d better save that.  And I won’t tell anyone, other than Airith, because I don’t want Bomrek to get wind of this discovery and suddenly decide he absolutely must have crystal glass.

14 Felsite 86

The dwarf reached the wall into the caverns.  After the troll debacle, he had managed to contrive a way of opening and closing just enough of it that he could squeeze through.  Removing a fist sized stone, he opened it now, swinging it closed once he was in the caverns.  Making his way to ‘his’ temple, he again went through the ritual, with the same level of success.

20 Felsite 86

Nil has finished smoothing a whole bunch of rooms.  As a result, Clan A looks bigger than many of the others, but Udil the Poet’s family is far away, so she doesn’t share her room allocation with anyone else.

28 Felsite 86

Akrul continues to remain in a good mood.  I have to say, when the manager’s happy, everyone else seems a bit more cheerful.  Then again, there’s something to be said for not getting yelled at on a regular, even daily basis.

All that remains is the sand powder.

Well, summer is almost here and with it, the humans.  Maybe we can buy the rest off of them?  They always seem to bring some sort of flour.

OOC: For Clan X's "House", how about "House of Xylocarp" (yes, "xylo" is a word, it means "from or relating to trees")?  "Xylo" because Lotu brought us to a place with lots of trees, and "carp" because there aren't any?
Current character list:

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 01:57:50 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 07, 2017, 08:54:19 pm »

07 Hematite 86

And the petitioners this time around are part of another performance troupe, this time a dwarf and her human apprentice.

They’re also from the Corridor of Mastery.  I guess they might as well stay.  At least that way their transplanted baroness consort won’t feel lonely.

09 Hematite 86

With the rains com the humans.

By now my orders are almost automatic  This time I focused on identifying any worn clothes that had been forgotten in the depot.  I also included a number of the totems Rith has been making from animal skulls.

19 Hematite 86

Well, at least the humans have a tendency to bring useful items.  I bought some flour to finish off the powder quota.  In doing so, I got rid of the elven cages, and a few bits and pieces of tattered clothing.

Before Trade:                                                      After Trade:

Gaaah!  The visitors pushed us over again!  But at least, almost everything that we’ve imported now will be sent on to Bomrek.  So we won’t be over the cap by the time Echoworked makes his final check before leaving.  I think.

24 Hematite 86

With the human additions to our soldiers, Imic has created a new squad, the Helmed Anvils.  He’s placed Sky in charge, and added all of the non-axe humans: the swordswoman Geño, the hammerwoman Ino and the spearman Xetan.

They’ll be responsible for protecting the cavern entrance so that we can capture underground animals and get at those silk webs.

When they aren’t on duty, though, that wall is going right back up.

02 Malachite 86

Sky insisted on arming himself with a war hammer, instead of the axe he had been using for years.

“Me pap taught me to wield a hammer, and I intend to honor his memory by becoming the best hammerdwarf in the world.”

Imic just sort of shrugged his shoulders and remarked.  “Ye've been a problem axe-wielder from the first day of training.  Mebbe ye’ll do better wif a hammer.”

He cast a jaundiced gaze over the motley group of humans.  “And since the only axeman is in my squad, you might’s well have the same weapon as one o’ yer crew.”  He clearly meant Ino, the one-handed hammerwoman.

07 Malachite 86

Litast is behaving more strangely than usual.

He’s claimed a crafter’s.  Great, another toy.

15 Malachite 86

Well, at least it won’t be a particularly expensive toy.

20 Malachite 86

“The Viper of Bleeding.”  Unfortunately, that’s not a toy. 

It’s just as useless though.  And worse than the artifact toy, Litast doesn’t seem to have learned anything from it.  It’s as if he were under the control of something else.

23 Malachite 86

The dwarf tried not to snarl.  Lotu’s newest directives were threatening his sanity.  Sky’s Helmed Anvils insisted on standing exactly between the cavern entrance and his ritual alcove.  Getting there without anyone noticing was virtually impossible without a really high sneaking skill.

Which I don’t have.

Grumbling, he headed to the tavern.  Maybe I can learn something from the visitors.

26 Malachite 86

We’ve trapped another giant mole, this time a male, so we can add those to the breeding list.

20 Galena 86

With the last of the immediate-need bedrooms finally dug out, and Nil working on smoothing it, it’s time to start on a truly legendary dining hall!

22 Galena 86

The sky was just barely starting to lighten to the east when Ingish was roughly shaken awake.

“Mm-mph?”

“Get up, slug-a-bed!  It’s time for work.”  Lotu shoved an iron pick into Ingish’s hand.

“Bu-, brekfas’-.“  Ingish protested groggily.

A persimmon was shoved into his other hand.  “Eat on the way.  There’s work to do.”  Lotu advised, hustling the boy out of his bed and into the hallway.  Striding quickly through the maze of passages, Lotu stopped suddenly before a stretch of sand wall, near the Pale Roads’ barracks.

“We’ll start here, with digging out a pasture or two to move those animals out of the way.  Now, this is how you swing a pick.”

With a swift, confident blow, he struck the sand, causing almost half a bot’s worth to sssshh to the floor.

“Now you.”

Awkwardly, Ingish swung his pick, with much less impressive results, but Lotu seemed satisfied.

“Yes, yes.  That’ll do.  Now, here are the dimensions and placement of the new rooms.  Come find me when you’re done.”  Handing the still-waking-up dwarf a sheet of paper, Lotu turned away.

Ingish looked down at the instructions, and blanched.

“But that’s a lot of digging for one dwarf!”

Lotu swung back around.  “Really?  And how much digging do you think I’ve done over the years?  You think this place has carved itself while I’ve been lounging around drinking daiquiris? Listen up, bucko, because I’m only going to say this once.  Children don’t work.  That’s fine.  But as soon as your name day arrives, you’re assigned to something that will benefit the settlement.  For you?  That’s digging that wall!”

Lotu jabbed a finger at the wall in question in emphasis.  “You get me?”

Cowed, Ingish nodded quickly and hefted his new pick while Lotu walked away, whistling.

Heigh ho, heigh ho, it’s off to work I go!  With a second pick and a couple of ticks, we’ll soon be through the row!

26 Galena 86

The final masterfully-crafted bed has been installed and assigned, so all adult dwarven citizens now have their own smoothed bedrooms in their enclaves, complete with masterwork beds.  Clan C is going to need some more, for the boys that are beginning to grow up, but that’s further down the priority list.

Although, now that I’ve begun training Ingish, digging things out should go much more quickly.  And I imagine he’ll work even more quickly when he learns he’ll get his very own bedroom out of it.

28 Galena 86

The quota was finished a while ago, but here are the final numbers.

I may have gone overboard buying flour from the humans, but I wanted to keep at least some of Sodel’s masterfully-crafted sand bags.  Now if only Bomrek would be reasonable this next time around?

OOC: Clearly, I didn't feel like working today.  :P
Current character list:

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 09:45:13 am by Dame de la Licorne »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 08, 2017, 05:33:04 am »

Can love blossom in captivity?

Lotu says no.

Huh, those before/after trade images tile weird; resized they're next to each other but full size on top of each other.

Performance troupes! Finally! Sounds like you're now getting into serious visitors influx. And visitors certainly can match normal migration dwarf for human, depending on world and trade.

Wonder if the elves could be paired off? Their lack of tracks and nimble feet leave them suited for all manner of longer distance jobs.

Deconstructing walls again? One of those days you'll install an airlock, or even a passive defence!

Today is not that day.

And a troll? Well, that could come in handy for some darker magicks.

I bet it c-lined towards destructible buildings. The hostile creatures do seem to prefer fights over vandalism.

The amount of rock crystals is always so anemic (1,5 per embark tile per stone z-level is high), and you can't import it either.

Having thought over it, their unique benefits are just twofold, ultimately - the production of unique white portals, and perhaps more importantly unlocking usage of raw crystal glass for moods - at least you can import that one.

But there are trees....jk :P

I suggested the naming of clan according to letters, but didn't really think about it. X is a though one indeed, and can't really go by preferences or personalities like this.

Litast bit into quota?

Bonecarver kids moods can be nice. I've once even gotten crossbow out of one, though the furniture isn't bad either.

Stone and rock..Better hope they can make an instrument.

As for Ingish...I think they mooded already. No furniture or picklord out of that.

*glances at schematics*

Well, no furniture at least.

*looks at announcement*

No picklord either, I take it.

The pace - you suddenly seem in a hurry :P

Good luck!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 08, 2017, 09:44:49 am »

Performance troupes! Finally! Sounds like you're now getting into serious visitors influx. And visitors certainly can match normal migration dwarf for human, depending on world and trade.

FYI, I didn't start getting them until I set the visitor cap to 20.  But as you no doubt noticed, they're wreaking havoc on my import numbers.  sigh

As for Ingish...I think they mooded already.

No, he hasn't mooded yet.  Mooded kids tend to grow up to do an unmoodable job (like any of the farming), unless I really need another wood/stone/bone crafter (which I might, given what Bomrek tends to request).

The pace - you suddenly seem in a hurry :P

Call it inspiration.  I especially wanted to get to Ingish's name day at the very least, since I knew exactly how I wanted to write it.  The rest kind of comes ad hoc.

- Dame de la licorne

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 08, 2017, 12:01:24 pm »

Ah, I guess cap would affect the larger troupes as well. My own connection in testing is trade to elves (though my PSV worlds are not really average) - for I do not move the caps of it below standard 100 when I'm seeing whoever can come.

There's probably a point somewhere above which it is impossible to keep below import cap. Wonder if you passed it? I recall you wanting some steel from caravan...

Hm, if I'm hankering for artifacts, I typically do the opposite - unmooded kids get spot of practice in mood skill and then avoid moodable skills, while mooded kids get stuff like tanning and engraving.

Well, a toast to the muses and teaching children coming of age then!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:03:48 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 08, 2017, 08:06:18 pm »

02 Limestone 86

The human Xetan has decided he prefers axes to spears.  Imic promptly claimed him for some proper training.

09 Limestone 8

I thought that Ingish was simply the slowest miner on the planet, but I just realized something .  He mines out a bot of wall, then has a meal.  He mines out another bot, then spends half the day drinking.  After a third bot, he sleeps around the clock!  Then there's his brunch, his prayer, his snack, his tea, his meditation, his nap...it never ends!  At this rate, those pastures are never going to be mined out!

He needs a stern talking-to.  Then I think he’ll reconsider dragging his breaks out so long.

13 Limestone 86

And like the locusts, the swarm always comes.

I’ve ordered the quota moved.

14 Limestone 86

“Master Lotu?”

“Can’t you see I’m really busy right now?”

“Oh, you want to work?  You can start by hauling the quota.  I’ll figure out a more permanent job for you later.”

17 Limestone 86

“Master Lotu?”

How many times do I have to say, “I’m busy!”

“Go bother Sky!  He’s in charge of mercenaries.”

20 Limestone 86

Fine, let’s get it over with.

Bomrek still hasn’t been replaced.  Grrr.

Lotu checked his list of requests for the last time, then handed it over.

1.   Steel bars
2.   Weapons
3.   Armor
4.   Trap Components
5.   Boars
6.   Sows
7.   2 kimberlite boulders
8.   Leather

Most of it would provide more ready-made, melt-able, steel, but Lotu was keeping in mind Bomrek’s love of leather, too.  And since they ‘forgot’ that we’d asked for 6 kimberlite when the caravan arrived last year, they can jolly well bring the missing boulders next year.

Echoworked glanced over the list, and nodded.  “That seems fairly reasonable.”  He tucked it into his sheaf of papers.  “Now, here are Bomrek’s requests.”

“And you’ll need to plan on accommodating 60 dwarves.”

Which makes the numbers…

What, is he preparing to fight a war?  And he wants a matching set of ivory/tooth stuff?  Not to mention the anvils and fish.  Has he learned nothing over the years?

While Lotu was raging at the unfairness of the world, Echoworked accompanied Sigun to inspect the mélée of animals.

OOC: Starred animals are the ones that have been added this year.

When Lotu finally calmed down enough to trust himself around bearers of bad tidings, he went to join them.  Well, at least Echoworked is pleased about one thing around here.

27 Limestone 86

Every time I try to take something to the depot, I seem to get interrupted.

She’s the Clan C Mother!  Yes, of course she can stay!  I’ll have Nil get started on smoothing her quarters right now as soon as the quota is complete.

12 Sandstone 86

When I was finally able to trade with the merchants, I obtained a breeding pair of cats, some steel bars, and enough cheese to meet Bomrek’s requests.  The copper cages can be melted down and the metal re-used easily enough.

Unfortunately, we were still over the import cap, even after getting rid of all of the quota items I had obtained from traders.  But after surrendering all of the remaining leather from last year, I just barely managed to get us back under it. 

Before Trade:                                                   After Trade:

We have enough leather left to cover Bomrek’s demands this year, but we may not be able to afford anything next year.

Well, I’ll deal with that forgotten beast when it comes.

15 Sandstone 86

The merchants have left, their wagons crammed almost to overflowing with the products of our labors. 

Sometimes I have to wonder, what does Bomrek need some of this stuff for?  Isn’t he just supposed to make a spear?

16 Sandstone 86

The cats have been pastured into the stockpile rooms, and are happily hunting down any and all vermin that dare venture through the doorways.

25 Sandstone 86

And another human came to me to petition for residency.

We’re so close to the import cap…maybe all those humans will stop coming if I stop granting residency petitions?

I decided it was worth a shot, so I turned her down, to her great disappointment.

06 Timber 86

It never rains, but it pours!

Since he’s ready to work, I’ve sent him down to help Minkot and Udil the Poet in the fields.

13 Timber 86

Sitting down with Akrul, we’ve managed to hash out reasonable compromises.  Good metal is difficult enough to get, so Bomrek will be getting some more training axes.  Most of the powder will be sand, and we’ll make mini-forges for the anvils.  For the fish, maybe now that we’re into the caverns, we can finally get some?  Bones should substitute nicely for ivory once again, and the rest is straightforward enough, with glass goblets and clay loam cut gems.

18 Timber 86

Oh!  Oh my!

The Clan K Founder!  The two Clan Mothers were one thing, but a Founder!

I promptly pulled Ingish away from his work on the pastures to start digging out a new Clan enclave.

Now, if only his wife comes, we would then boast one of the few surviving Founding pairs.  Maybe I can drop a few hints...

23 Timber 86

Our branch of Clan E continues to grow.  Uvash now has three surviving sons, and all of them are here.

28 Timber 86

And production has commenced on most things.

I’ve assigned the human Idur as a fisher, and Us as a cleaner, but neither one seems to know which end of the pole or filleting knife to use.  So the fish might take a while, but at least Idur is starting to catch some, even if Us is having trouble with the cleaning end.  At last!

And someone has seen fit to eat some of the cheese.  Don't they have any idea how much that costs?

OOC:And back to work tomorrow, so the rate of updates will slow down.
Current character list:

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 08, 2017, 09:02:58 pm »

Ingish..going to use a burrow? ^^;;

Would be cool if soldier actually petitioned to milita commander.

Yay, more request for leather. Bomrek, reasonably, has no faith. But ah, I recall the import cap was to force Finderboard to produce it themselves.

And cheese? Hm. Caravans will work for that amount.

Well, the list is fairly reasonable, ivory/tooth both excepted and expected (there's always one thing, your majesty). Battle axes being only troublesome ones other than that - Imic won't be happy. I'm not sure training axes would work when Bomrek wants axes for battle, either - with training spears, they didn't have metal or battle specification. Though on the other hand, there's also toy axes. And on the third hand, it beats being incomplete, like with short swords - and already went over that bit.

Well, I imagine Bomrek is little forgetful to have the same thing work multiple times.

And oh, mini-forges. Didn't that cause a skit last time?

Though I guess a skit is good for the story, as are all the new residents.

Where is Rigòth's husband, I wonder? Though a dwarf is a dwarf.

How old are the new cats?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 36