Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1297456 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #7980 on: October 20, 2016, 09:22:12 pm »

You know, Clinton also has supporters that are likely incensed and fervent enough to cause violence. Hell, even Sanders probably has/had them. It's just a question of blame.
uh yeah, both sides have violent people.  And racists, and sex offenders, and flat earthers, and octogenarians...

Trump has more violent and racist ones though.  Which isn't something to judge him on (judge his violent racist rhetoric instead)...  It's just something to be realistic about.

He probably has more flat earthers too but I haven't seen the data on that.  I still can't believe that's a real thing people believe.

To be fair though I am desperately hoping that the Hillsborough firebomb wasn't liberals.  Probably was, realistically.  At least they didn't hurt anyone.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7981 on: October 20, 2016, 09:26:08 pm »

What was the appeal of the candidates in the run-up to the primaries? If people don't like them, why promote them?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7982 on: October 20, 2016, 09:27:18 pm »

The primaries are skewed populations, because only about a tenth of voters actually bother, as opposed to half for the election.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7983 on: October 20, 2016, 09:28:57 pm »

That sounds undemocratic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #7984 on: October 20, 2016, 09:29:15 pm »

also  Clinton had maaaasssiive unfair advantages in her primary but the people here don't like to hear about it
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #7985 on: October 20, 2016, 09:30:04 pm »

America is undemocratic. Well, it's vaguely Democratic. Better than China or Russia, worse than most other western nations. Unless there's such a thing as "Democratic Oligarchy?"
The circle is complete.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7986 on: October 20, 2016, 09:34:16 pm »

Clinton was the darling from day one, but sad as it is she didn't truly cheat. The people just aren't ready for a leader like Sanders. It's like he said from the start, it would have taken a political revolution.

Most primaries are either a clusterfuck or a cleared field, we've seen both in this election, but they were both unusual. The Sanders bloc was very ferocious for a cleared field, and, well....Trump.
If you don't vote, you can't complain. That's just the start and end of it. More people should vote in the primaries, but the fact is that they don't.

Even a mandatory voting law wouldn't change that, since the parties are unintegrated as government entities and it would provide weird clusterfuck scenarios with indie candidates.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7987 on: October 20, 2016, 09:35:00 pm »

America is undemocratic. Well, it's vaguely Democratic. Better than China or Russia, worse than most other western nations. Unless there's such a thing as "Democratic Oligarchy?"
Yes, it's called a Republic.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7988 on: October 20, 2016, 09:35:58 pm »

You know, Clinton also has supporters that are likely incensed and fervent enough to cause violence. Hell, even Sanders probably has/had them. It's just a question of blame.
sure man. gotta bring up clinton every time you post, I understand. But consider: Boobs?

Everything is relative, except maybe the appeal of boobs. But even then you have your gay men out there and your asexuals and what not. So I want to say "eating". People like eating. And if you don't, ya die. Simple as that. Everyone supports the pro-eating agenda.

i wonder when, precisely, you decided that going into Ameripol and just bashing the country, bringing up random stuff, saying controversial stuff and ignoring most of the responses, and just in general acting like you know better sounded like a fun Thursday night to you.

I mean your doubleposting now for chrissakes. Just edit your comment like I do.
If you don't vote, you can't complain. That's just the start and end of it. More people should vote in the primaries, but the fact is that they don't.
Foreigners, despite claims to the contrary, cannot vote in US elections.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #7989 on: October 20, 2016, 09:39:13 pm »

I feel obligated to bring up anti-Clinton stuff just about every post because, while I hate her and Donald Trump relatively equally (probably Clinton a bit more) there are people here who think she's greaaat, while there's no one like that for Trump.

Pretty interesting.
The circle is complete.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7990 on: October 20, 2016, 09:41:08 pm »

Clinton was the darling from day one, but sad as it is she didn't truly cheat.

The "darling" faced unrelenting negative coverage for the past year.  Except for Donald Trump, I dont think any candidate in the television era has faced such negativity.  The media routinely made baseless accusations against her (such as influence peddling at the Clinton Foundation) and never clarified that they were wrong when the facts came to light.  Even twenty days before the election I doubt the majority of americans have heard of her very broadly popular policy ideas.

Pretty interesting.

You and I seem to be operating on very different definitions of "interesting".
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7991 on: October 20, 2016, 09:41:39 pm »

I feel obligated to bring up anti-Clinton stuff just about every post because, while I hate her and Donald Trump relatively equally (probably Clinton a bit more) there are people here who think she's greaaat, while there's no one like that for Trump.

Pretty interesting.

Because Hillary Clinton actually has a history of doing a good job...

And Trump's entire history is of being basically a cartoon villain. He is the poster boy for making money no matter the cost to human lives.

The only reason why Trump isn't immediately thrown out is because the USA is enamored with the Rich. They perceive Trump's wealth as a sign that his success could rub off on the entire USA... When his wealth was earned through very unscrupulous methods and his business skills are considered suspect at best.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:44:04 pm by Neonivek »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7992 on: October 20, 2016, 09:43:57 pm »

And if you don't, ya die. Simple as that. Everyone supports the pro-eating agenda.
my thing is "dude touch their butt" because Everyone Has A Butt
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7993 on: October 20, 2016, 09:44:03 pm »

This question of "is America a democracy" is always flooded by dumb Fun Fact answers that do not have any real grasp of anything besides the desire to try and trip other people up.

Is America a democracy? Yes. A democracy is any government where the mass vote of the population is used, and it is used in America, as the selection of our representatives and sometimes for referendum. As such, it is 100% true to say that America is both a direct democracy and a representative democracy.

America is also a federal state, a republic, and a judiciary.

The real question about a nation is almost never about what it is, but how well its processes are carried out. Almost every nation on Earth features voting and legislative bodies. The actual degree of free elections and legal stability are what really changes.

A nation like Saudi Arabia is two or three major legal shifts from having the same damn government as the United Kingdom.
Foreigners, despite claims to the contrary, cannot vote in US elections.
Foreigners have a limited justification for complaint. As they do not live in America, do not experience American culture (as it truly is, not the international spread), and almost never have realistic conceptions of what the whole deal is the world would be a better place if they listened more and made uninformed judgments less. I also recognize this in turn, i.e. I am against Putin and United Russia's stranglehold as a whole, but will also listen to the perspectives of actual Russians instead of declaring their country and people the world's festering pit of darkness.

The people who really have it good are American minors, since they can justify complaining in all circumstances and to great detail but are unable to vote and so are never in the circumstance of complaining about something they should have participated in.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:45:45 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7994 on: October 20, 2016, 09:45:49 pm »

justify complaining in all circumstances and to great detail

The american dream is real.  :P
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 1249