Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 37

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 62595 times)

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2016, 03:15:30 pm »

I mean if nintendo allowed utility apps and some sort of a store, the Switch could actually go for the tablet market but unless they made its OS somehow Android compatible, it'd probably flop pretty hard.

But we are talking about Nintendo so I'm not expecting utility apps to even exist apart from maybe a few pre-installed essentials like a calendar.
Unity is on the list of their 3rd-party partners.
Unity is a game engine, not a source of utility applications that might turn the Switch into a possible competitor on the tablet space.

Also on that list is Havok, which in my mind merely tells us that the Switch will support both these two engines which should theoretically allow easier access to 3rd party developers.

I'm hopeful that happens but skeptical given Nintendo's history with 3rd party devs.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2016, 04:14:40 pm »

Well... not quite. PS4/Vita are two separate consoles. They run different game copies, you just transfer save data from one to the other, if anything that is the gimmick.
http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/How_to_Use_PS4_Remote_Play
Vita absolutely can play PS4 games. Of course, it's just streaming the video from the PS4 which actually does the computing, meaning that it is limited by wifi tethers, which may be a substantial difference between Vita and Switch(we don't yet have details on how specifically the Switch functions in portable form), but still, playing full console games outside the home is nothing new.

A powerful tablet can run you way higher than the current estimate on the price of the Switch. It's compelling merely because it's packing the power of a gaming tablet into an affordable price range. The tablet I'm using now cost nearly a grand when it was released, and it can only just run Skyrim. Whether or not it gets that Skyrim game, a console that small and powerful for a third of that price is quite compelling.
Your price point of $1000 for a quality tablet may be slightly dated...a quick search of Amazon shows the largest, newest tablets from the biggest brand names generally around $500, with slightly smaller and older tablets generally falling in the $100-$300 range. Also, I'm finding absolutely no indication of price on Switch from Nintendo, and recent years have seen major console releases generally launching with higher prices than consumers were expecting.

VR is failing. PC VR is, at least. Console VR is only just taking off, but it severely lacks proper games.

It's still very early to be making the call that VR is failing. The last few generations of gaming consoles have each taken longer than the last to see any substantial release of games, with the most recent generation taking more than a year just to see a few decent games start to trickle in, and more than two years for the surge to really start. VR has been out only a few months, and developers are showing interest, suggesting that we may well see things really take off in another year or two.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2016, 05:21:25 pm »

the vita was doing not-quite-failingly in japan, last I'd heard. Doesn't mean much for english though, I bet.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2016, 05:35:23 pm »

Well... not quite. PS4/Vita are two separate consoles. They run different game copies, you just transfer save data from one to the other, if anything that is the gimmick.
http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/How_to_Use_PS4_Remote_Play
Vita absolutely can play PS4 games. Of course, it's just streaming the video from the PS4 which actually does the computing, meaning that it is limited by wifi tethers, which may be a substantial difference between Vita and Switch(we don't yet have details on how specifically the Switch functions in portable form), but still, playing full console games outside the home is nothing new.

You could play Sega Genesis games on the Sega Nomad way back when... Doesn't mean there isn't room for innovation such as having one console that does it all.

I'm not sure what you mean by we don't know how the switch functions in portable form. The tablet itself has all the processing power, the other part is just a dock to charge it and connect with your television.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 05:37:02 pm by Wiles »

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2016, 06:51:23 pm »

I am Intruiged. I can't wait to get more info and see just how powerfull this thing is.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2016, 07:31:11 pm »

You could play Sega Genesis games on the Sega Nomad way back when... Doesn't mean there isn't room for innovation such as having one console that does it all.

Yeah, that's not innovation though, it's refinement. We have had fully featured portable games for a while now, Nintendo is just making them a bit more convenient, and likely higher quality. The only part that's really innovative is the detachable controllers, allowing for motion controls and playing with a friend, which have not previously been options in a single portable system. So the question becomes, do people really want to swing controllers around with their friends in public settings while staring at a tiny screen? I guess time will tell.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2016, 08:26:10 pm »

I'm in love
Black lives matter.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2016, 09:10:57 pm »

If you look next to the headphone jack there is a vent along the top of the system.
Now I'm curious if the two triggers are going to be analog or not. It doesn't look like they have a lot of travel distance on them.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2016, 09:15:48 pm »

I'm hoping for Wii U-levels of travel distance, considering that had a pretty good range if you weren't around any corners or walls, and there'd be little reason to have just the controller that far away.
Black lives matter.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2016, 09:18:23 pm »

Considering the tablet/screen thing is the actual console I'm pretty sure it'll "travel" better than the WiiU.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2016, 09:19:47 pm »

Obviously. I'm referring to the main controller block with the green lights on it, and maybe the Joy-Con themselves.
Black lives matter.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2016, 10:32:49 pm »

Your price point of $1000 for a quality tablet may be slightly dated...a quick search of Amazon shows the largest, newest tablets from the biggest brand names generally around $500, with slightly smaller and older tablets generally falling in the $100-$300 range. Also, I'm finding absolutely no indication of price on Switch from Nintendo, and recent years have seen major console releases generally launching with higher prices than consumers were expecting.
The price for the Switch has been quoted as $300 (well, $299, great savings there) for the base model, and $400 for the bundle version which I'm assuming from how it's a "bundle" will include Pro controller(s) and maybe that fancy car holder. Probably not the car holder.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure where you're looking, but Surface Pro's are going for well over a grand on Amazon, with prices for similar tablets you could conceivably play games on always hovering around the 700-900 mark and above. We don't, of course, know how much of an OS the Switch will have. We don't even definitively know that is has a touchscreen, though it would make no sense for it not to have one. But it's pretty certainly going to be a multimedia thing in addition to a console (given that it supposedly streams video), and most people who would buy a beefy tablet for mobile entertainment, would likely go for a Switch just on that premise alone. Sure it's not going to show you that Word document your client sent you in the mail, but it'll be a portable entertainment system... a portable Nintendo Entertanment System, if you will - and for a $300 price, I'm pretty certain it doesn't need to be more than that.

It's still very early to be making the call that VR is failing. The last few generations of gaming consoles have each taken longer than the last to see any substantial release of games, with the most recent generation taking more than a year just to see a few decent games start to trickle in, and more than two years for the surge to really start. VR has been out only a few months, and developers are showing interest, suggesting that we may well see things really take off in another year or two.
PC VR is floundering because of lack of adopters, not only because of lack of games. The hardware is just too bloody expensive, especially when you need a great PC to go with it. PlayStation VR is just taking off, yes, and yes it will eventually have games for it, and it's much more affordable especially when it works on a regular PS4 already, so that greatly expands the adopter base, and makes the platform a lot more interesting for developers. But it's the mobile VR that's actually going forward, because the expectations of it are lower, and the requirements are barely there, with a wide open base of people who can try it and develop for it. The Switch, with its excess of power and modular design, can easily snap right into that mobile VR market, and might bring Wii-like motion controls in there to boot.

Yeah, that's not innovation though, it's refinement. We have had fully featured portable games for a while now, Nintendo is just making them a bit more convenient, and likely higher quality. The only part that's really innovative is the detachable controllers, allowing for motion controls and playing with a friend, which have not previously been options in a single portable system. So the question becomes, do people really want to swing controllers around with their friends in public settings while staring at a tiny screen? I guess time will tell.
I think you may be missing the innovation here. It's not the fully portable games - tablet PCs did that for a while now. Like I said, I play Skyrim on mine, among other things. What gaming consoles did before, was take a universal, powerful, and expensive system - the desktop PC - and give it a more streamlined, dedicated, game-focused package that you can keep near your TV and have party games on with friends.

The tablet PC, the thing that's set on overtaking the software markets alongside the smartphones, is just a PC that you can take with you anywhere, it is no more designed for gaming than a regular PC. Like with a regular PC, you can attach peripherals to it to make playing games easier, or you can play games designed for its own often limited interaction abilities, but it lacks gaming and party-gaming power in the same ways that a regular PC does.

What Nintendo did, is make a game console for the tablet PC generation. That, is innovation.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 10:35:24 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2016, 05:32:52 am »

Fuck the asymetrical joy cons.
Thats the real con.
I would love if N or a 3rd party releases this or I will murder my baby
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2016, 05:46:00 am »

I can see the problem with asymmetry, but I can also see why it is that way, and I hope it's obvious why.

It's possible to improve the joy-cons, but only at cost to something else. More comfortable joy-cons will be larger, and hurt the portable aspect. A symmetrical layout in the same form-factor will hurt comfortable play when they're attached. And moving the right thumbstick up (or the left one down) to make the layout more like the WiiU or the DualShock, will only further hurt comfort of play for single joy-cons. They don't exactly use the giant shoulderbuttons, and they have one straight side, on which a secondary pair of shoulderbuttons exists, so one of the pads would have to have its buttons on the outside, and on a differently-shaped surface - just a different kind of asymmetry.

Really, with how small those things are, how is the extra bit of reach going to be uncomfortable?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2016, 04:59:25 pm »

I'm hoping that when docked it'll be able to do 1080p

E: What if they make a controller that has a clamp for you to put your smartphone in the middle? I doubt that would happen but it just came to my mind, considering there are some games that benefit from the touch controls.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 37