Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 37

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 62261 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #285 on: February 16, 2017, 02:14:19 pm »

But it already comes with standard controls. It comes with all kinds of controls, including standard.
While there will be standard controls it won't be bundles with the 'pro controller'
I hope that the Joy-con connected to the grippy-thing will actually be comfortable. If not I'll just do without it and play like how I used to play my Wii (arms crossed, which you can't do with conventional controllers).

Speaking of racing games and controllers... what do you guys think about Nintendo removing analog triggers? From my understanding, they removed them 'because we can't think of a reason to have them' or some nonsense.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 16, 2017, 02:19:47 pm »

Speaking of racing games and controllers... what do you guys think about Nintendo removing analog triggers? From my understanding, they removed them 'because we can't think of a reason to have them' or some nonsense.

The reason is likely "Because this is a family console and we want to lower the approach ceiling as much as possible" and thus they infantilized the system as much as possible to appeal to people who don't play videogames.

Don't get me wrong... I am happy they don't use SOME buttons (seriously... the Wiimote was a nightmare if you had to use it like a normal controller), I've NEVER EVER liked Z-button.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 16, 2017, 03:06:06 pm »

The reason is likely that analog trigger mechanisms take up a significant amount of space and "holy fムック how are we supposed to fit all these things into a controller the size of a breadstick?!". Also that aside from serious racing games, the analog triggers are not really used by anything, and they have gyros to stand in for the accelerator control if they really need it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 16, 2017, 03:08:27 pm »

The reason is likely that analog trigger mechanisms take up a significant amount of space and "holy fムック how are we supposed to fit all these things into a controller the size of a breadstick?!". Also that aside from serious racing games, the analog triggers are not really used by anything, and they have gyros to stand in for the accelerator control if they really need it.

Ohh opps... I thought he meant that it had no shoulder buttons.

Nevermind... I've never liked Analog triggers. R3 and L3 can die in a fire!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 16, 2017, 03:57:59 pm »

I liked being able to walk rather than run in console RPGs just by pushing the analog stick such and such a distance, but I do have to agree; it was almost never relevant to gameplay unless the game threw in a "stealth minigame" section (For instance, the train assassination job in FF8). 

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 16, 2017, 04:04:55 pm »

This really seems to confuse people. :P
Culise, that's not it either. The analog stick can still pick up smaller movements. It's the triggers on the side of the controller that you'd hit with your pointer or middle finger that don't have analog control. Which actually annoys me a little. Enough games use that to make porting from the other consoles to the switch even more of a pain.

...And Neo, R3 and L3 are super useful. Dark Souls for one would be nearly impossible without L3.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 16, 2017, 04:16:23 pm »

Do we know that the bumpers on the joycons are not analog? I mean, all four of the PS2's shoulder buttons were pressure-sensitive (IIRC, at least; I know at least the top two were), and I think the face buttons were as well. Sure, it won't necessarily have the control finesse of triggers, but it could be done with technology far prior to modern times.
Nothing important here, move along.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 16, 2017, 04:23:54 pm »

Got my DS3 right here, and from testing I can confirm that L1, R1, L2, R2, and all the face buttons are pressure-sensitive. It's a very impressive feature, though it's annoying in MGS3 that the difference between choking a guy and stabbing him is how hard you hit the tiny little square button. :P
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 16, 2017, 04:25:09 pm »

I think you guys are getting analog triggers and analog sticks mixed up =p
L3 and R3 aren't bad, or at least I haven't encountered a situation in which I wish they weren't there.

Pretty sure Nintendo confirmed that the triggers aren't analog. People have also gotten their hands on the thing to confirm. Haven't heard mention of pressure sensitivity, but if they were I would think we'd have heard about it by now.
The reason is likely that analog trigger mechanisms take up a significant amount of space
I bet "HD Rumble" takes up a lot of space too, so they opted for that instead of the triggers.

Got my DS3 right here, and from testing I can confirm that L1, R1, L2, R2, and all the face buttons are pressure-sensitive. It's a very impressive feature, though it's annoying in MGS3 that the difference between choking a guy and stabbing him is how hard you hit the tiny little square button. :P
Wasn't that a PS2 game? Did the DS2 have pressure buttons as well?

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 16, 2017, 04:43:18 pm »

Yes, the DS2 had pressure-sensitive buttons. I know because Ace Combat 4 and 5 both made heavy use of the shoulder buttons for the jet throttle.
Nothing important here, move along.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 01, 2017, 11:53:26 am »

Every reviewer seems to miss that the kickstand is designed to snap off rather than break off. Accidental damage to it is unavoidable regardless of how sturdy it is, so it's designed to clip off without getting damaged, and snap back on easily.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 01, 2017, 11:54:49 am »

Every reviewer seems to miss that the kickstand is designed to snap off rather than break off. Accidental damage to it is unavoidable regardless of how sturdy it is, so it's designed to clip off without getting damaged, and snap back on easily.

Still not too great that you cannot rely on it to be a kickstand :P

It is actually meant to snap off because of how the dock is designed (if it didn't snap off, it would break either the dock or the system.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 01, 2017, 01:46:32 pm »

I have heard the controller works as a pc controller as well, like the DS4 does.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 01, 2017, 02:10:16 pm »

I have heard the controller works as a pc controller as well, like the DS4 does.
Yep. Probably won't have motion-controls working until some smartguy writes a driver for it, but apparently connects over Bluetooth and works like any other directInput gamepad. Pretty neat value boost there.

I recall someone saying that the joycons work similarly. That would be fun to see.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 01, 2017, 04:35:08 pm »

Wait is it out yet or are we talking review copies?
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 37