Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 37

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 62565 times)

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #270 on: February 06, 2017, 04:19:55 pm »

Yeah, it really should be a permanent addition to your library. WTF nintendo.

I'm starting to think that either they firmly believe that their brand outweighs any features the Switch is lacking, or that they genuinely don't understand the current console and tablet markets. 
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 06, 2017, 04:22:33 pm »

Anyone who wants an emulated Nintendo game can get it in a variety of ways. NES or SNES games with online multiplayer, may be slightly harder to find.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 06, 2017, 04:24:21 pm »

Are you disagreeing with paying for multiplayer in general, or are you disagreeing with the specific amount that they're asking for?

Neither.

Nor do I agree... and no, there isn't a contradiction there... and not because "I have no opinion" either...

Because one of two things can happen. Nintendo can eliminate their price (since they are including that price... anyway being Nintendo... and some games will use their own servers and yet still require that price)

OR Nintendo can meet its price with quality.

And Nintendo, if last generation is any indication, has had the worst online service of them all... And there is every indication to believe that they are fervent in continuing this paltry service AND will still charge full price for what would normally be budget titles and thus the internet fee is being paid for... twice.

Though typically what this would mean is that the internet fee is actually a way to lower the price of the switch to hopefully make it up on sales... But they are HEAVILY marketing it as a family console who, in my mind, would be less inclined to pony up the money.

So I disagree with this on Principle... that principle being that the money I pay should be equal or less than the value.

Not "Multiplayer should be free" as you liked to hoist me with or this "150 dollars is too much for anything". Which is why I accused you of defining "On principle" as "Irrational", because you only seemed to use it that way. Mostly because if my views perfectly aligned with yours, you wouldn't say the same thing... because a "perfectly rational decision" usually doesn't get the "On Principle" moniker.

I really don't understand why console owners are apparently fine with paying an extra fee so that hardware they own can use a service they already pay for.   

It's one of the many reasons I'm so disappointed in the Switch. Having paid multiplayer is bad enough, having to deal with Nintendo's typical quality of online services is going to be a special circle of frustration, and being forced to pay for the privilege is just garbage icing on the crap cake.
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 06, 2017, 04:26:23 pm »

Anyone who wants an emulated Nintendo game can get it in a variety of ways. NES or SNES games with online multiplayer, may be slightly harder to find.

Is it confirmed multiplayer? I've just seen 'online play', which could many any numbers of things.  Nintendo's being very coy about the Switch still.
To summarize:

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 06, 2017, 04:27:34 pm »

Did Nintendo even offer that?

Because I have to admit... if they didn't already have that... and announced that their classics library would be full multiplayer enabled so that you could co-op from around the world...

I... might be very interested... Ohh wait multiplayer fee and friend codes and poor connection... DANG IT NINTENDO!

I really don't understand why console owners are apparently fine with paying an extra fee so that hardware they own can use a service they already pay for.   

It is rationalization and also how these companies lure the players.

Remember that the most common defense is that "it isn't a lot of money" because well... no company is dumb enough to include the entire lump sum infront of you. It is why I laid it out. Human minds aren't inherently that far thinking, so we will always think of these internet fees as a sort of isolated event even IF we end up paying for it continuously.
-Sometimes people catch on... Micro transactions might still exist but companies have went from touting it as a "feature" to trying as hard as they can to never refer to it by name. Showing that over time people stopped thinking of the low price as a reason to buy it on that merit alone.

Another is there is this assumption of quality. That because you are paying for it, it MUST be high quality. This also goes by the name "Snob Appeal" (It has a fancier name... Basically while basic economic theory is the lower something costs the more people will buy it... The opposite is also true, people can be lured to higher priced products because we are built to assume higher quality from something higher priced whether or not it is true.)

The third is people are usually not away that the price of games typically include these extra costs. So they don't factor that in, nor does internet fees lead to lower costs.

I'd be fine with this extra fee IF this was a service... But it usually isn't.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 04:34:13 pm by Neonivek »

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 06, 2017, 04:38:01 pm »

Did Nintendo even offer that?

Because I have to admit... if they didn't already have that... and announced that their classics library would be full multiplayer enabled so that you could co-op from around the world...

I... might be very interested... Ohh wait multiplayer fee and friend codes and poor connection... DANG IT NINTENDO!

They've said 'online play', which could mean direct multiplayer, or could mean some kind of quirky Nintendo take on it.  https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/13/nintendo-nes-snes-online-multiplayer-switch/
To summarize:

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 06, 2017, 05:36:37 pm »

When I saw there were new posts here I was expecting something new about the switch, not a page of ispil/neon quibbling :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 06, 2017, 06:09:59 pm »

Hey, I have strong principles about the use of "on principle".

I had to get the definition and then use it religiously to pull it out of you further.

For example

That isn't a matter of principle; that's a matter of not paying for crap quality

THAT IS a matter of Principle. Without stretching the definition. "I don't want to pay for something that is terrible" is a principle. In fact it is more within the meaning of the word and phrase then when you originally used it.

Hence why I find your use of "On Principle" to be backhanded, albeit unintentionally apparently. Since you exempt things that are so long as they follow a certain line of thinking. BECAUSE you only use it in specific situations and exempt in in situations that are, to you, simple logic... You create a dichotomy where when you use "On Principle" you imply "For irrational reasons" or "For the wrong reasons". Creating a horrible negative connotation.

So what else am I supposed to assume when "logical" things lack "Principle" (a violation of the definition) but you use that word to describe what my opinion is?

Basically your Animal Farming me Ispil! :P
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 06:17:53 pm by Neonivek »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 06, 2017, 07:50:05 pm »

Yeah, it really should be a permanent addition to your library. WTF nintendo.
If people want to take Nintendo and the Switch seriously then Nintendo has to drastically improve on their online functionality. Killing off friend codes was a good first step, hopefully the next one will be to tie your VC purchases to your central account so you don't have to buy the same game multiple times. It will be a big slap in the face if they started charging people to use the service and not offer something as basic as that.
This was brought up a couple pages back. I suspect it's because when console developers started charging people to use services like this people bought into it, setting the precedent moving forwards. They may not entirely be fine with it, they might just think it's normal.
Companies will continue to do it too as long as they can get away with it.

I'm sorry to say that I'm part of the problem. I pre-ordered the Switch the other day when it went in stock at Best Buy. Ended up paying about 190 dollars because of some gift cards I saved up, so I think I got a pretty good deal. Still not thrilled about having to pay a monthly fee especially if I don't use it often.

Monster Hunter had better come out on this thing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 16, 2017, 04:03:09 am »

You know it is crazy but I think the Nintendo Switch should come with a Pro controller.

actually make "Standard control" a feature rather then a niche feature like the Light Gun.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 16, 2017, 04:43:38 am »

But it already comes with standard controls. It comes with all kinds of controls, including standard.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 16, 2017, 05:44:43 am »

Motorcycles

Motorcycles are probably one of the coolest vehicles ever created! They are like if a racing car and a horse had a baby and that baby was a loose cannon who didn't play by the rules! No one takes Motorcycle off the case as he throws his badge into the Urinal "Opps, what an accident" ~but it wasn't an accident~

Man it must be awesome riding motorcycles in videogames! It must be unmitigated fun!

What was that? They are usually the worst most unfun vehicles in the games they are in to the point where having an ok motorcycle is an exception? Well dang it!

The usual folly is that they make motorcycles incredibly risky to drive, which one could argue realism but Cars are kind of tanks in those games. This risk is usually not rewarded as the cycle either isn't that much faster then other transportation or worse! IS soo much faster that it is impossible to drive (I love the Supercycle in GTA1... but you aren't gonna keep it).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 16, 2017, 08:44:17 am »

HOW THE FUDGE did that happen?

Ohh well

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 16, 2017, 09:09:23 am »

I don't think they're going to make a moto racer game for the switch, neon.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 16, 2017, 11:15:06 am »

There's mario kart, and the motorcycles there are boss.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 37