Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ringfort (shameful self promotion)  (Read 2840 times)

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
Ringfort (shameful self promotion)
« on: October 25, 2016, 02:13:18 am »

So for the past year I've been working on a game called Ringfort as part of my university course. So I figured i'd let the five people who remember me on bay12 know about it, especially since doing this course is the reason that I keep letting my forum games to shrivel up and die. So if you want something to blame for my inability to keep a forum game going for more then a week here you go.

Spoiler: Screenshot (click to show/hide)
So here's the premise:
You play as a bunch of humans who are fleeing from the aggression of a bunch of anthropomorphic wolves. As part of an effort to protect themselves they earn the allegiances of a bunch of other anthropomorphic animal peoples and grow the Ringfort they are squatting in.

The game is a resource management (in the vein of off-world trading company) with a focus on collecting beast-folk and keeping their whims satisfied so you can make them work in the coal mines and fight dastardly wolves for you.

I wouldn't say it's 'done' since we intend on working on it for another month or two to fix a lot of the general problems that make my heart hurt, but a build is downloadable from our website(and maybe the other ones) so you can visit these places if you are interested:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/ringfort
http://gamejolt.com/games/ringfort/199542
https://www.facebook.com/ringfort/
http://ringfort.xyz/ (I don't know why we have a .xyz beyond the fact that someone bought it for 30 cents)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Ringfort (shameful self promotion)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 02:38:21 am »

Looks quite interesting.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 02:59:03 am »

Highly interesting.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 04:54:10 am »

I shall lay my post and gaze most mercilessly.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 06:12:03 am »

My first thought: lovely gfx.

My experience playing it:
- when I clicked on the START button, the game froze for a few seconds
- the red hexagonal X button seems like it's not the part of the window
- low-res font even through I have the max. resolution in windowed mode and Fantastic gfx setting: http://imgur.com/YptwNss
- I expect tooltips to show up when mousing over any button or game entity
- the first few times I've dies at around 23 points, but don't know why. I'm assuming my rabbits died of hunger
- there is only, like, one pixel on the quarry where you can drop your worker
- I was unable to move a low-morale worker back home, probably due to the extreme pixel precision drag-n-dropping problem
- I got a fox attacking me, I clicked on some buttons and then a dialog appears which you can only cancel: http://imgur.com/uLy7J9E

I will lurk around and try another round in the future.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 06:45:10 am »

Interesting, will be watching to see how this goes!

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 07:48:06 am »

My first thought: lovely gfx.

My experience playing it:
- when I clicked on the START button, the game froze for a few seconds
- the red hexagonal X button seems like it's not the part of the window
- low-res font even through I have the max. resolution in windowed mode and Fantastic gfx setting: http://imgur.com/YptwNss
- I expect tooltips to show up when mousing over any button or game entity
- the first few times I've dies at around 23 points, but don't know why. I'm assuming my rabbits died of hunger
- there is only, like, one pixel on the quarry where you can drop your worker
- I was unable to move a low-morale worker back home, probably due to the extreme pixel precision drag-n-dropping problem
- I got a fox attacking me, I clicked on some buttons and then a dialog appears which you can only cancel: http://imgur.com/uLy7J9E

I will lurk around and try another round in the future.

Thanks for the feedback i'll add the issues stuff to my notes. We've fixed the awful drag and drop 1 pixel tall boxes in our latest version which will be up at the end of the week at the latest.  We're hoping to fix up all of the bizarre GUI stuff and make the whole thing a bit more user friendly in the next month, especially the whole starving to death without warning thing.

EDIT:
I should have explained this thing.
Spoiler: This thing (click to show/hide)
When you open this you can assign the units to go on the mission by clicking on them.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 08:09:02 am by Evil Lincoln »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 09:26:23 am »

Experiencing massive slowdown as the game progresses, lots of stuttering, might be a memory issue.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 09:45:13 am »

Shamefur dispray. 

So right, humans are like the nobility who doesn't/can't work/'administration', so the animalpeople do the work for them?
Seeing as the story implies that 'you' are the humans, but the trailer and screenshots don't show you even controlling 1 human population.  Or maybe I missed it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 03:12:01 pm »

Are there any other quests programmed in after the bears show up? I've been waiting for a while but nothing else is happening. Blast furnace is still locked which I'm guessing is required to smelt iron ore (edit: nope it's not required to smelt iron ore). I have 2 bears, 2 foxes, 3 rabbits

Oh you just have to keep adding more homes.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 11:25:56 pm by debvon »

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 06:38:10 am »

Looks nice and simple, like the colours, make it harder, flesh out the quest possibilitys and progress to your skill levels.
Then once its done make different biomes for difficulty/variation.
Like: Plains are dogs, deer, badgers, rabbits, rats so on. Desert grasslands, hyenas, antelope, cats, anteaters, apes. Snow, Wolves, foxes, bears, sheep, more rabbits haha i think you get the message.
Make so many options for it that its over 10 pages worth.

Have fun with it and if you can make some
 $£€MONEY€£$
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 08:08:49 am »

PTW
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 02:18:38 pm »

ptw

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 06:25:17 pm »

Shamefur dispray. 

So right, humans are like the nobility who doesn't/can't work/'administration', so the animalpeople do the work for them?
Seeing as the story implies that 'you' are the humans, but the trailer and screenshots don't show you even controlling 1 human population.  Or maybe I missed it.

Yeah we want to redo the first tutorial phase so it makes more sense and it gives you more of an idea of why everything is happening. I might see if we can add some events if the humans never work while everyone is toiling in the mines.

Are there any other quests programmed in after the bears show up?
We have the system set up to have quests spawning more regularly but it isn't turned on in the builds we have online. Right now we've just got some quests that trigger in specific circumstances.

Experiencing massive slowdown as the game progresses, lots of stuttering, might be a memory issue.
We've looking into the slowdown since it's a relatively recent thing.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 01:37:40 am »

PTW

Seems interesting though
Pages: [1] 2