Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19

Author Topic: African news thread  (Read 28259 times)

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
Re: Meanwhile in Africa
« Reply #210 on: October 15, 2017, 06:42:11 pm »

In Somalia, a truck loaded with explosives detonated in front of a hotel in the nation's capital, Mogadishu, near a busy crossing with ministries, shops, and restaurants.

At least 230 people were killed, and 275 injured, making it the most lethal terrorist attack in the country so far.
Government has stated that al Shabaab is behind the attacks, and has called upon the people to donate blood at the overcrowded hospitals. The president himself joined the queues to donate blood.

Rescue services have been searching the collapsed debris of buildings all day to find victims buried under them.
Many of the victims can not be identified due to the force of the explosion.

2 hours after the attack, another car bomb went off in the city, but no one was injured despite heavy damage to buildings.

Sounds like they need better security aound the capital, also this is why I have misanthropic episodes, I get disgusted with my own species because of stuff like this.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 15, 2017, 09:01:45 pm »

In Somalia, a truck loaded with explosives detonated in front of a hotel in the nation's capital, Mogadishu, near a busy crossing with ministries, shops, and restaurants.

At least 230 people were killed, and 275 injured, making it the most lethal terrorist attack in the country so far.
Government has stated that al Shabaab is behind the attacks, and has called upon the people to donate blood at the overcrowded hospitals. The president himself joined the queues to donate blood.

Rescue services have been searching the collapsed debris of buildings all day to find victims buried under them.

2 hours after the attack, another car bomb went off in the city, but no one was injured despite heavy damage to buildings.
What's al Shabaab about? Another heretical islamic cult?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 15, 2017, 10:07:01 pm »

What's al Shabaab about? Another heretical islamic cult?
I wont touch the "heretical" part since that depends on which branch of Islam you believe to be "properly orthodox" and I sure as heck won't poke my nose into that kind of argument, but they're pretty much your standard al-Qaeda-aligned (albeit with the occasional internal strife over degree), Sunni jihadist, Islamist militia.  They've been in reported decline for the past...oh, half-decade since they got their noses bloodied in Mogadishu at least, but they do maintain significant influence and outright control as a state actor in significant swaths of rural south Somalia. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 10:09:39 pm by Culise »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 16, 2017, 12:32:17 am »

Also, Al Shabaab was the youth militia wing of the Islamic rulers of Mogadishu ("Union of Islamic Courts") until 2006. They were pushed out by international forces led by Ethiopia, the main Islamic leadership then collapsed, and then Al Shabaab came into their own. Basically they're a bit like the Taliban I guess then: you have a bunch of young activists left over after the original elder Islamic leadership is all gone.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 12:38:09 am by Reelya »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #214 on: October 16, 2017, 12:54:14 am »

Sounds like they need better security aound the capital

You know, first world countries can't prevent car bombings. How exactly is a nation crippled by civil war (insurgents still hold territory in parts of rural Somalia [insert "Somalia has non-rural regions?"]) supposed to get "better security around the capital"?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 17, 2017, 12:57:31 pm »

Sounds like they need better security aound the capital

You know, first world countries can't prevent car bombings. How exactly is a nation crippled by civil war (insurgents still hold territory in parts of rural Somalia [insert "Somalia has non-rural regions?"]) supposed to get "better security around the capital"?
Probably checkpoints everywhere.  Police/military state when?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 17, 2017, 02:32:12 pm »

They HAVE checkpoints everywhere. Some locally manned, some manned by African Union troops. The fact that this got through indicates either the checkpoint quality is poor, or they have some corrupt folks who are either helping al-Shabaab or taking money to cast a blind eye.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 17, 2017, 03:11:44 pm »

Can the thread title get changed? I get an earworm with Shakira's "Waka Waka" song everytime I read "Meanwhile in Africa". I think "African news thread" would be less likely to trigger this earworm.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 17, 2017, 04:56:34 pm »

Africa Thread: Hips Don't Lie
Love, scriver~

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 17, 2017, 05:16:03 pm »

I BLESS THE RAINS DOWN IN AFRICA

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 17, 2017, 05:25:47 pm »

Hurry boy, she's waiting there for you.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: African waka waka news thread
« Reply #221 on: October 17, 2017, 07:05:46 pm »

Can the thread title get changed? I get an earworm with Shakira's "Waka Waka" song everytime I read "Meanwhile in Africa". I think "African news thread" would be less likely to trigger this earworm.
I just listened to the song. I have no clue why the thread title would make you think of that song. I feel for you though, if you get that earwormed, so I'll see what I can do.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: African news thread
« Reply #222 on: October 18, 2017, 01:54:52 am »

Because I vividly imagined Shakira singing "waka waka hey hey! Meanwhile in Africa!"

(Btw I wasnt serious about changing it. Ie:  I didnt deeply care about having Shakira stuck in my head.)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 18, 2017, 09:13:54 am »

Perhaps you can replace the Africa-Shakira link in your head with this music instead, much better. Do watch the video clip that goes with it, it's pure art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIXUgtNC4Kc
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 18, 2017, 09:52:19 am »

I thought we were doing a decent job of putting Toto in his head. At least, it put it in *my* head. Been humming that damn song since yesterday....

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19