Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1397 1398 [1399] 1400 1401 ... 3519

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3685484 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #20970 on: June 20, 2018, 06:09:43 am »

Internment of illegal immigrants until deportation makes sense to me. After all, they have an obvious flight risk.

Separating children from parents during the internment? It has no purpose or sense at all to me. Locales where the parents are kept not deemed "child safe" enough? Sure, keeping children there would be awful. But worse? Fucking no.

Maybe it's because a lot of illegal immigrants' children are born in the US (and does automatic US citizens?) and do not have a citizenship of the country they are sending their parents to, so legal precedings prevent the state from deporting them there. I could see that being the case, it is exactly the kind of bureaucratic beartrap a populist, not thought through policy could have.
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #20971 on: June 20, 2018, 06:43:33 am »

Also, Jeff Sessions said that comparisons to Nazi concentration camps are exaggerated because the Nazis were stopping the Jews from leaving.

You’d think a lawyer would be able to come up with a better argument, like “at least we aren’t gassing them” or something. /poor taste

So yeah, I think Trunp is basically trying to force the Dems into giving him the money for his wall, ‘cause if they vote against that he’s gonna say they hate kids.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20972 on: June 20, 2018, 06:53:05 am »

Sessions also apparently straight up said they're doing this, in part, to scare away border crossers. Probably some other shit, too, I'unno. KKKeebler elf has been on the ball, it seems.

And the wall thing is a maybe, but from what I recall someone's already floated legislation that would fund the wall in exchange for not tearing families apart, building fucking fun sized concentration camps complete with kages4kiddies, and maybe cutting back on the whole "losing thousands of children and/or keeping children from their parents for years" thing (though I might be misremembering with that last bit being part of the proposal). Trump's lot apparently refused it out of hand.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20973 on: June 20, 2018, 08:31:28 am »

Hey when I was a kid you would count yourself lucky if your playground had one of those climby kiddy cage thingies!

I mean, they're already interned when being deported. All that is now being done is that they are being charged with a crime as well as being deported, which is what is causing the removal of their kids while they're being tried.

Ah, that makes sense. I'm not very read up on the situation, so I was just speaking off the top of my mind.
Love, scriver~

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20974 on: June 20, 2018, 10:36:06 am »

In short, the people making policy decisions are now doing so with reckless abandon, convinced that they are benefiting themselves even while actually shooting themselves in the feet. Even the Trump administration is now acting on presumption that their constituency are caricatures. Given the split polling, it would appear that his constituency does not appreciate this.

Well, 47% of his primary voters strongly approve of family separations and 68% approve overall, so it would appear they do appreciate being treated as caricatures.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20975 on: June 20, 2018, 11:12:07 am »

[Citation needed]

The polls I've seen show substantially lower support than that, and the majority of those who approve seem to think that the whole thing is an unfortunate side effect rather than deliberate nastiness.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/separating-families-at-the-border-is-really-unpopular/
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20976 on: June 20, 2018, 11:16:25 am »

Citation: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-voters-family-separation-poll_us_5b293726e4b0f0b9e9a5d72e

Yes, I know, Huffpost, grr liberal bias, but the actual poll is linked in the article.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20977 on: June 20, 2018, 11:22:09 am »

Actually, I think I've read that it has even less support than the tax bill. Also, the 538 article says that some of those Republicans who are disagreeing are identifying as independent (which, in itself, is telling), which inflates the number of Republicans agreeing with the Trump policy. So, it's kind of distorted if you're looking at Republicans only.

In short, the people making policy decisions are now doing so with reckless abandon, convinced that they are benefiting themselves even while actually shooting themselves in the feet. Even the Trump administration is now acting on presumption that their constituency are caricatures. Given the split polling, it would appear that his constituency does not appreciate this.

Well, 47% of his primary voters strongly approve of family separations and 68% approve overall, so it would appear they do appreciate being treated as caricatures.
Where'd you get that? 64% disagree overall, with only 25% in support. That's lower than his current approval rating. Also, 49% of Republicans approve. Half. In this era, if you're making a decision that only half of your party supports, it's a godawful decision.

We're talking approval somewhere between the Obamacare repeal and the tax bill, and we still have room to fall further.

Except that Trump and his crew (Stephen Miller, etc) only care about his loyal base, which itself is a slice of the Republicans. So, we aren't even looking at the entire Republican party.

Also, Trump has said that he'll sign 'something' to keep families together. Details are lacking as usual. Whether it's an executive order or something that Congress gives him, I'm not sure, guessing something from Congress since he's been putting the onus on them.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 11:25:06 am by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20978 on: June 20, 2018, 11:49:42 am »

I thought the tax bill was even less popular than Obamacare, I get that the family separation is right around there, or even lower.

Anyway, the 538 article has more recent numbers and even there, it looks like not all of his base supports it. Sure, theres still the deep solid core, but an average out of four polls of 49% support and 35% oppose is going to eat into those who are loyal, but not fanatically so.

On the thing that Trump is going to sign, apparently it's an executive order that the DoJ has been drafting up all morning. Clearly the pressure is getting to him.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20979 on: June 20, 2018, 12:03:39 pm »

Executive Order? Oh the irony.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20980 on: June 20, 2018, 12:08:44 pm »

Irony because it was an Executive Order that started this whole problem?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20981 on: June 20, 2018, 12:20:14 pm »

I am very glad to see that his reaction is something other than "deal with it". Also, they better have someone other than the current officers in charge deal with those families, because otherwise here come the reports that all those kids and families disappeared as if they never existed at all.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 12:22:03 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #20982 on: June 20, 2018, 12:49:13 pm »

Why does he need to sign anything to stop it? Isn't it a government policy that they can just decide to, you know, stop?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20983 on: June 20, 2018, 12:58:09 pm »

I think it's the fastest way rather than going through whatever normal bureaucratic process would normally govern such a thing. At the least the people running things there have a Presidential order motivating them.

Also, when those people start talking about the things they went through, I'm sure Trump's response will be that he withdrew from the Human Rights Council and doesn't legally have to listen to those bleeding heart HRC rabble-rousers anymore.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #20984 on: June 20, 2018, 01:21:09 pm »

Why does he need to sign anything to stop it? Isn't it a government policy that they can just decide to, you know, stop?
It is, he could order the secretary of homeland security to handle this.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 1397 1398 [1399] 1400 1401 ... 3519