Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 3518

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3675420 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

You know America better than I do, surely, but I can't help but feel that talk of, say, Mike 'Deus Volt' Pence is going to start rounding up gay people and sticking them in camps, is rather hysterical. And portraying singular, tragic incidents as if they're the norm seems a poor way to garner any kind of support for a cause.
You mean these camps? http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/abc_news_hundreds_of_religious_anti_gay_conversion_camps_operating_across_the_country
http://abcnews.go.com/US/gay-conversion-therapy-advocates-heartened-pence-republican-electoral/story?id=45940488
Are you seriously denying the existence of these? These were even advertised as effective measures to youth and parents in the church I grew up in within the past decade. It absolutely is the norm.

I'm denying that the government is rounding people up and forcing them to go to those camps, certainly.
Oh, so just the imaginary deflection intended to sound identical to a real issue so you can have your cake and eat it too?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyhow... Let me see... One possible cause might be when the US versus the UK made being Gay Fully Legal. I'll include the start to end I guess

UK: 1967-2010
US: 1962 (To never if we include the military ban... but it might be more of a "We don't want our soldiers having sex on the job")

Canada: 1968-2016 apparently.

Man Canada, seriously up your game! I know you are most improved, but win some firsts here.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 11:03:42 pm by Neonivek »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

As opposed to granting me the benefit of the doubt, you could always just - how did you put it? - shut me down with a 'united front of shame' and 'refuse public space to my ideas', right? And if that doesn't work, you can just take some 'extra steps' (aren't euphemisms fun?) to make it known my opinions aren't acceptable. Because it's justified, right? No bad tactics, just bad targets.

You're right that fascism and bigotry are a growing danger in the world today. I just think you're looking in the wrong direction.

I'm denying that the government is rounding people up and forcing them to go to those camps, certainly.

And so what if we treat unabashed bigotry as just another opinion, as worthy of debate as any other?  What if we tolerate the organization of political blocs with this as their primary platform, with nothing but healthy debate in opposition?  Being bigoted becomes the same as being an environmentalist or believer in the free market?  What eventually happens to our politics when we have to compromise with them?  When it's considered acceptable to vote for them?  What if they get popular and pass legislation?

This sounds like paranoid raving, but this is what was normal through most of our history.  I'll say it again.  When my parents were young, gay people were still being imprisoned, chemically castrated, lobotomized, etc by the thousands in the western world, and they're only middle-aged.  Is it so strange to believe that we could regress from our current cultural position, where it's unacceptable in most company to express open hatred based on gender, race, or sexuality?  It's about normalization.

When these things happened in the past, it didn't look like death squads forming up and actively rampaging about with the sole purpose of killing or imprisoning gay people.  When your neighbor down the street forced their kid to get a brutal medical procedure because they were found to be gay, you likely didn't think of it as "the government is rounding them up and putting them in camps!"  It was just a thing that happened.  People who weren't in danger of being victims didn't think much of it.  I'm sure plenty of people disagreed with it, and regularly shook their heads disapprovingly when they had cause to think about it.  People who were targets lived in hiding and repression of who they were.

The dangerous thing here is that people act incredulous at the idea that they can happen, because they sound so outrageous when spoken in plain language.  But when they're actually happening as a normal part of what our institutions just do as part of their jobs, it doesn't seem so outrageous.  There's shitloads of stuff that happens today that is absolutely horrifically outrageous that people shake their heads over on a regular basis, but is still treated like it's completely normal. 

Police kill so many thousands of people every year in the United States, right?  That's been going on forever, but it's only become topical in political consciousness in the last few years, with public outcries happening regularly over a very, very small portion of the incidents that happen in dubious circumstances.  Before this, it was completely normalized -- practically invisible.  Same for the prison system.  There are tens of thousands of prisoners in the U.S. in long-term solitary confinement at any given time - a treatment that is internationally recognized as a form of torture that results in permanent, severe psychological damage.  A treatment that has no proven benefit whatsoever, and from what I've read happens often to petty non-dangerous criminals who just get on some prison staff's bad side. 

Do you think about this much?  Does it feel like this outrageous thing that's happening to the world around you?  I doubt it.  Because it's normalized.  Prisons are a place where criminals go, and whatever happens to them is just authorities doing their jobs in a way that's been agreed upon by political means granted legitimacy by our votes.  Is it really so ridiculous for people to be afraid that the same kind of normalization for bad treatment of gay people can resurface from recent history?

Anyhow... Let me see... One possible cause might be when the US versus the UK made being Gay Fully Legal. I'll include the start to end I guess

UK: 1967-2010
US: 1962 (To never if we include the military ban... but it might be more of a "We don't want our soldiers having sex on the job")

Canada: 1968-2016 apparently.

Man Canada, seriously up your game! I know you are most improved, but win some firsts here.

Same-sex sexual activity wasn't legal nationwide in the U.S. until 2003.  I repeat.  You could still be considered a criminal in the United States for being gay 14 years ago.  I'm 33 years old, and it's been completely, nationally legal to be gay in the united states for less than half my lifetime.  And guarantees of any sort of rights on top of that have been even more recent.  2003 is just when it was nationally legal just to engage in an act of gay sexuality.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 11:31:34 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ahh thanks SalmonGod!

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile

And so what if we treat unabashed bigotry as just another opinion, as worthy of debate as any other?  What if we tolerate the organization of political blocs with this as their primary platform, with nothing but healthy debate in opposition?  Being bigoted becomes the same as being an environmentalist or believer in the free market?  What eventually happens to our politics when we have to compromise with them?  When it's considered acceptable to vote for them?  What if they get popular and pass legislation?

Communists have killed millions of people across the world, including a few of my own relatives. Despite this, I would never advocate that people go to peaceful Communist events to go throw bombs at them, beat them up on the street, willfully lie to portray them in the worst possible light, etc.

There are a lot of problems with trying to silence bigots, like

* You make a hell of a lot of people besides Literal Nazis nervous when you start explicitly hunting down people for thoughtcrime. You can reassure the conservatives, the moderates, the right-libertarians, etc that you're only really going after Literally Hitler, but those reassurances ring hollow because you do have Bigot Mission Creep, where yesterday's "reasonable conservative" is today's Nazi. "Liberals get the bullet too" as they say. In a situation like that, you're basically forcing the Right as a whole to close ranks or be annihilated, and that's the exact kind of situation that lets bigots actually get new recruits. Suddenly, Tommy Trump Supporter is thinking "I thought those Nazis were pretty bad guys, but one of them had my back when masked Communist thugs attacked me for my political beliefs, maybe the Nazis aren't so bad".

* Certain topics of discussion being verboten because they conceivably could lead sometime to come to a bigoted conclusion. I've spent plenty of time arguing with Race Realists about race and IQ and their position is not exactly the strongest position around. But rather than allow these topics to be freely debated, certain people act like even entertaining a racist idea is basically the same thing as implementing racist policy. The result is that these discussions either don't come up, or they are answered with weak justifications like "Human intelligence is just too complicated to be inherited" followed by something along the lines of "and you'd better accept that justification if you aren't a dirty no good Nazi". So when some kid comes across someone on the internet pointing at racial IQ correlation as evidence that segregation is cool, it looks incredibly convincing when the counterargument to this is "Shut up or we'll make you regret expressing that viewpoint".

* There are people behind hateful beliefs. You can conceivably convince a racist to stop being a racist, but you can't do that when your answer to their arguments is "You're a bigot and I refuse to acknowledge your arguments" or a fist being thrown. That's how societal change happens: you expose people to new ideas and try to convince them honestly.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The biggest reason I personally have is: When the basis of silencing another is that you are right and they are wrong, you are essentially recreating the exact same conditions that created the bigotry and racism in the first place... and in the long run, that is exactly what is going to happen.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As opposed to granting me the benefit of the doubt, you could always just - how did you put it? - shut me down with a 'united front of shame' and 'refuse public space to my ideas', right? And if that doesn't work, you can just take some 'extra steps' (aren't euphemisms fun?) to make it known my opinions aren't acceptable. Because it's justified, right? No bad tactics, just bad targets.

You're right that fascism and bigotry are a growing danger in the world today. I just think you're looking in the wrong direction.

Do you know who else tried to shut openly avowed NAZIs down with stern words? Chamberlain.

When you start to have openly NAZI types marching around demanding power, a few cross words don't cut it. I guess everyone in Germany should have said to the brownshirts that they were being very, very naughty and should stop it. That would have totally prevented Hitler's rise to power.

Chamberlain is ridiculed because he didn't do more. Google "american neonazi party" photos. Those are the sorts of groups who are out marching around in the USA these days, except a few of them have hit on a brilliant piece of PR logic: if you just take off the swastika armbands, more people will listen to you.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:23:22 am by Reelya »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Communists have killed millions of people across the world, including a few of my own relatives. Despite this, I would never advocate that people go to peaceful Communist events to go throw bombs at them, beat them up on the street, willfully lie to portray them in the worst possible light, etc.

And I wouldn't advocate throwing bombs at a white nationalist event or willfully lying about them.  But low-level confrontation?  I'm not entirely convinced it's a bad thing.

* You make a hell of a lot of people besides Literal Nazis nervous when you start explicitly hunting down people for thoughtcrime. You can reassure the conservatives, the moderates, the right-libertarians, etc that you're only really going after Literally Hitler, but those reassurances ring hollow because you do have Bigot Mission Creep, where yesterday's "reasonable conservative" is today's Nazi. "Liberals get the bullet too" as they say. In a situation like that, you're basically forcing the Right as a whole to close ranks or be annihilated, and that's the exact kind of situation that lets bigots actually get new recruits. Suddenly, Tommy Trump Supporter is thinking "I thought those Nazis were pretty bad guys, but one of them had my back when masked Communist thugs attacked me for my political beliefs, maybe the Nazis aren't so bad".

This is the argument that I most acknowledge.  But should be counter-acted by outreach to everyone not Literal Nazi wherever possible.  And this is something the left is admittedly failing horribly at, and I have got in multiple heated arguments in recent months with other progressive people for shouting-down behavior in manageable debates and playing into the smug liberal stereotypes.  There is absolutely a tendency to be overzealous in condemning people, and treating progressive stances and sacrosanct, inherent truths.  It's a horrible, frustrating as shit problem that I'm sick of seeing everywhere.

But anything will backfire if executed badly.  As just mentioned, you can botch talking to people to, and I think a widespread epidemic of botching basic communication is how we've reached this point.  Doesn't mean people shouldn't continue to try talking.  And just because other types of conflict in response to an ideology that, need I remind you has literal physical threat inherent at its core and deserves to be treated as such, can turn into failures doesn't mean that it should never be done.

* Certain topics of discussion being verboten because they conceivably could lead sometime to come to a bigoted conclusion. I've spent plenty of time arguing with Race Realists about race and IQ and their position is not exactly the strongest position around. But rather than allow these topics to be freely debated, certain people act like even entertaining a racist idea is basically the same thing as implementing racist policy. The result is that these discussions either don't come up, or they are answered with weak justifications like "Human intelligence is just too complicated to be inherited" followed by something along the lines of "and you'd better accept that justification if you aren't a dirty no good Nazi". So when some kid comes across someone on the internet pointing at racial IQ correlation as evidence that segregation is cool, it looks incredibly convincing when the counterargument to this is "Shut up or we'll make you regret expressing that viewpoint".

I have two problems with this.

One of the difficulties we face is weak positions are also more easily communicated.  They're soundbites that usually take some more in-depth exploration to unpack.  They're messages that are easy to flood into popular consciousness, because someone can absorb them through repeatedly hearing them in passing, and then require extended active attention to counter what has already been absorbed. 

And more troublesome is Literal Nazis don't give a fuck if their argument is more rational.  There is no winning an argument with a genuine, unabashed bigot who is fully aware of and happy with the sort of person they are.

Quote from: Sartre
Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past. It is not that they are afraid of being convinced. They fear only to appear ridiculous or to prejudice by their embarrassment their hope of winning over some third person to their side.

If you care about such a person's prospective victims, then they are your enemy.  Plain and simple.  And the only reason to debate them is if you have some further audience that is likely to pay attention to more than soundbites, or you think you can beat them at some bullshit troll posturing to make them look bad.  These things are not normally likely.

The situation is a flood of poison, and we're talking about the difference between plugging the holes or waiting for it to spill out and then soaking it up with Q-Tips.

* There are people behind hateful beliefs. You can conceivably convince a racist to stop being a racist, but you can't do that when your answer to their arguments is "You're a bigot and I refuse to acknowledge your arguments" or a fist being thrown. That's how societal change happens: you expose people to new ideas and try to convince them honestly.

Yeah, if you can identify someone who is not fully committed to their ideas.  And that is the best sort of societal change.  It really is.  When I'm talking with cultural conservatives, I pay really close attention to whether their stances are rooted in genuine psychopathic self-importance or in misguided fear and ignorance.  I always do my best to kindly address the latter.  But I think the former is a real thing that cannot always be changed with rational debate and kindness, and while you're actively focused on the very difficult task of doing so anyway, they can very quickly and easily spread misguided fear and ignorance.

Here's a question that really gets at the root of this whole thing --- how do you think advances in civil rights were achieved over the past 60-70 years?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:28:35 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you know who else tried to shut openly avowed NAZIs down with stern words? Chamberlain.

When you start to have openly NAZI types marching around demanding power, a few cross words don't cut it. I guess everyone in Germany should have said to the brownshirts that they were being very, very naughty and should stop it. That would have totally prevented Hitler's rise to power.

Chamberlain is ridiculed because he didn't do more. Google "american neonazi party" photos. Those are the sorts of groups who are out marching around in the USA these days, except a few of them have hit on a brilliant piece of PR logic: if you just take off the swastika armbands, more people will listen to you.

Those bastard wrongthinkers. Purge the nazis, the fascists, the socialists, the generally unamerican scum . . .
Even the avatars expire eventually.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Those bastard wrongthinkers. Purge the nazis, the fascists, the socialists, the generally unamerican scum . . .

I know you think you're being clever by pointing out how everyone is the same for attacking each-other for wrong-thinking.  But in this case, one side's aggression is for wrong-borning, and that is different.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile

ah yes let's no platform fascists

so instead of giving a speech to 300 college students who don't agree with them, they're being interviewed by a sympathetic pundit with millions watching.

well done comrade.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Here's a question that really gets at the root of this whole thing --- how do you think advances in civil rights were achieved over the past 60-70 years?
Can't speak for the US, but most worker's rights, women's rights, social securities, and liberal freedoms over here in the Netherlands were achieved by demonstrations that included making burning barricades in the streets and fighting with the police in the '60s and '70s, by 'long haired anarchist scum' (Student protests /  Squatting movement protests / Provo) and naked women in the streets (Dolle Mina's, Baas In Eigen Buik).

Must be said that back in the days, most of the 'long haired anarchist scum' actually believed in something, and were protesting and rioting for a better society, contrary to 90% of 'anarchists' nowadays, who are just masked thugs wanting to trash stuff regardless of ideology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provo_(movement)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolle_Mina
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krakersrellen
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 10:24:49 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Must be said that back in the days, most of the 'long haired anarchist scum' actually believed in something, and were protesting and rioting for a better society, contrary to 90% of 'anarchists' nowadays, who are just masked thugs wanting to trash stuff regardless of ideology.

Where they? I'm sure you have people who loved to trash too. We maybe just don't rememebr them.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Where they? I'm sure you have people who loved to trash too. We maybe just don't rememebr them.

Well they kind of were... but they didn't really have a message or solution. they were kind of complaining to complaining.

Which is kind of the exact same thing really.
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 3518