Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 993 994 [995] 996 997 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3654041 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Congress attempts to cross streams while working on tax 'reform'
« Reply #14910 on: November 21, 2017, 01:10:36 pm »

I mean, here's a thought, maybe he just lives somewhere completely different from us, but isn't actually completely different from us. Like another regular human but just somewhere else.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #14911 on: November 21, 2017, 01:35:21 pm »

I mean, here's a thought, maybe he just lives somewhere completely different from us, but isn't actually completely different from us. Like another regular human but just somewhere else.
What? That's nonsense. Everyone knows regular humans only come from [insert home town/state/country/etc.]
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14912 on: November 21, 2017, 02:02:35 pm »

Yeah, from my perspective that's still "way too close together"; out here you do not have other farms as neighbours, you have miles of soggy forest dotted with bog. There isn't much in the way of tightly-knit social support because there aren't enough actual people. (It's heaven.)

If living in a swamp by yourself is heaven because there's no one around, why do you deliberately come on here to talk at people?
Obviously even introverted/loner sims have a social stat that eventually needs fulfilling.

He, much like an onion, has layers.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14913 on: November 21, 2017, 02:52:32 pm »

Yeah, from my perspective that's still "way too close together"; out here you do not have other farms as neighbours, you have miles of soggy forest dotted with bog. There isn't much in the way of tightly-knit social support because there aren't enough actual people. (It's heaven.)

If living in a swamp by yourself is heaven because there's no one around, why do you deliberately come on here to talk at people?
Obviously even introverted/loner sims have a social stat that eventually needs fulfilling.

He, much like an onion, has layers.

Cakes have layers, too.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14914 on: November 21, 2017, 03:15:27 pm »

So do henhouses.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14915 on: November 21, 2017, 03:20:48 pm »

It's winter. We should all have layers.

Except those of you in the Southern Hemisphere. You should all be naked.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #14916 on: November 21, 2017, 03:58:21 pm »

A potential solution to the firefighting coverage problem would be what they did in Australian states with the various ambulance services. They just put the fee on car registration (which is a state based thing) which ended up being enough to cover everyone easily, whether they own a car or not. I think they then moved it into housing rates (water, garbage, and now with ambulance too!) to ensure a wider spread, and could be done on a City Council and state collaborative level. It's just a thought, as Australia has fairly widely flung rural community too, and where people used to worry a bit about the ambulance pickup fee if they weren't covered, now they just worry about if they've got some beer to drink as they wait for it to turn up.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 04:03:07 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14917 on: November 21, 2017, 04:03:19 pm »

To perhaps nobody's surprise, Trump all but word for word endorsed Roy Moore, he said "We don't need a liberal Democrat in that seat". http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/361421-trump-on-alabama-race-we-dont-need-a-democrat-in-the-seat

It's literally the height of tribalism here, they all agree that he's terrible and yet. There's also no guarantee that he'll vote yes on tax reform, he might vote no just to stab the establishment in the eye. I too, agree that he shouldn't be a senator for moral and ethical reasons, but I secretly want him to win and the expelling to fail so that the Republicans reap what they've sown as they deserve it at this point.

Edit: And apparently he may campaign for Moore. I can see the Dem attack ads saying Trump stands by sexual predators.

Edit2: He's also taking a risk with political credibility as polls so far (that I know of) show Doug Jones as ahead. Actually, I think Trump campaigning for Moore may actually further energize the Dems, though it'll also boost those in his own base.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 04:10:39 pm by smjjames »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14918 on: November 21, 2017, 04:07:14 pm »

More importantly, the net neutrality repeal has been announced, and it's basically the worst case scenario. Total corporate control over what is allowed on the internet.

Upgrade to our Ultimate package to see more from MetalSlimeHunt, for only an additional $5.99 per month!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14919 on: November 21, 2017, 04:10:54 pm »

More importantly, the net neutrality repeal has been announced, and it's basically the worst case scenario. Total corporate control over what is allowed on the internet.
For those of whose ends of the blagosphere tubes open out into territories outwith the US, can we feel smug or would the blight spread all around anyway?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14920 on: November 21, 2017, 04:16:13 pm »

IIRC, most of the English-speaking internet is hosted in the US and so falls under US law. Let alone how many US policies have historically ended up setting the world standard, like with drug law.

Not only that, but shitty anti-neutrality policies have already been instituted in some other nations, all the way to "packages for particular website access".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14921 on: November 21, 2017, 04:21:57 pm »

The ones fighting hardest for this though are the "to the door" residential ISPs. I doubt anyone not actually subscribing to a US ISP plan is going to see a huge difference other than maybe price hikes for some high bandwidth services as they're required to pay more for their usage of backbones. Even with that though, it's almost trivial to get an overseas host so that your non-US customers don't have to actually deal with US stuff.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #14922 on: November 21, 2017, 04:50:45 pm »

I honestly couldn't care less about the unsubstantiated 'child abuse' accusations against Moore. However, the ridiculously over-the-top far-right propaganda spewed by his chief political strategist at today's press conference really left an ill taste in my mouth. If Alabamanites actually vote for that crap...well, I guess they will deserve what they get.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14923 on: November 21, 2017, 05:22:05 pm »

If you're looking for physical evidence or photographic proof, "He said/She said." is really about the only thing to go on with old cases like this, unless a 40 year old semen stained dress crops up.

Though to be honest, even without the allegations, he's still extreme far right.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 05:23:42 pm by smjjames »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14924 on: November 21, 2017, 09:26:05 pm »

It's interesting to see them make claims in the press conference (CBS has a recording) that all of the allegations are total and complete fabrications. I know that this is standard fare (with often hilarious results if incontrovertible evidence emerges) but what makes it unusual is that I think people may actually overcome instinct and believe it under these political circumstances. There's an enormous natural tendency to assume guilt to some degree just from accusations if the target is unsympathetic (and politicians are as unsympathetic as it gets), so it would really speak volumes if people could actually suppress that and elect the guy anyway when at the very least their subconscious is screaming that he's a super creepy pervert (whether he is or isn't).

I should note that I'm saying this as someone who strongly disagrees with our country's obsession with the sexual conduct of politicians; I just think these are unusual circumstances that are somewhat more interesting than the usual dreck.
Pages: 1 ... 993 994 [995] 996 997 ... 3515