Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3490 3491 [3492] 3493 3494 ... 3519

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3688373 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #52365 on: January 25, 2024, 09:56:12 am »

...it's Texas. The largest second largest state in the whole rootin' tootin' U S of darn A!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #52366 on: January 25, 2024, 10:48:09 am »

well that took me an uncomfortably long time to understand
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #52367 on: January 25, 2024, 12:08:00 pm »

Texas is larger than Ohio, Floria and Texas combined

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52368 on: January 25, 2024, 01:15:52 pm »

well that took me an uncomfortably long time to understand
same here...even had it open in an editor so I could type in labels
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #52369 on: January 25, 2024, 01:40:20 pm »

On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52370 on: January 25, 2024, 02:02:16 pm »

This map is pretty cursed but the most cursed part of it remains the UP of Michigan which isn't even fake.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52371 on: January 25, 2024, 03:27:00 pm »

This map is pretty cursed but the most cursed part of it remains the UP of Michigan which isn't even fake.
...that objection is covered by a prior map... ;)

(This also won't help, but this one might!)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #52372 on: January 26, 2024, 03:59:09 am »

Kenneth Smith wriggled and gasped for breath for minutes, it took 20 minutes before he was declared dead.
Sounds like inhumane torture to me. Well done, Alabama

Also, I was under the impression that someone who survived death penalty could not be put to death for a second time?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52373 on: January 26, 2024, 10:25:56 am »

Sounds like inhumane torture to me.

Wait is there such a thing as humane torture?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #52374 on: January 26, 2024, 10:35:29 am »

If you have a safe word

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52375 on: January 26, 2024, 10:50:09 am »

Kenneth Smith wriggled and gasped for breath for minutes, it took 20 minutes before he was declared dead.
Sounds like inhumane torture to me. Well done, Alabama

Also, I was under the impression that someone who survived death penalty could not be put to death for a second time?

Nitrogen Hypoxia is probably* painless, it just takes a while after you fall unconscious to actually die. It's used to euthanise feeder animals like mice, rats and chicks for captive reptiles and raptors sometimes. That said, the death penalty is rather shit anyway.

As for follow up death penalties, depends on jurisdiction. A casual look says this guy got a second death warrant after the first one expired, and the idea of a death warrant expiring seems odd to me in the first place.

*My understanding is that nitrogen related suffocation doesn't trigger the same physical responses as something like carbon dioxide does, because our most overt responses to suffocation are caused by excess CO2 in the blood rather than a lack of oxygen itself. In theory you basically go to sleep as your blood oxygen levels drop too low to remain conscious, then die, with minimal to no actual suffering involved. Kind of like hypothermia but without the bad bits beforehand.

Depends on if you include or exclude consensual torture. A lot of pain-play, degradation and bondage stuff would be classed as torture when done to an unwilling participant.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #52376 on: January 26, 2024, 01:49:49 pm »

Yeah, the human body detects high CO2 levels, not low oxygen levels. A few deep breaths of 100% N2 will knock him out. A mask leak would only delay it, and wouldn't cause any pain as the CO2 would be vented thus the partial pressure would be low enough for the gas exchange to occur.

He knew when the execution would take place. Most likely he held his breath for as long as possible, which caused CO2 buildup. Put him in one of those nitrogen caskets, don't let him know when the gas is switched, and he won't know when to hold his breath. If he didn't have the right to have a religious priest present, they could even make his cell a nitrogen casket, don't tell him the day of execution, and wait for him to fall asleep then flip the switch.

Alternatively, just don't execute people.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52377 on: January 26, 2024, 01:57:27 pm »

Someone did an excellent job making a low-key video of George Carlin, discussing truths years ago, and shows how it applies 100% to the MAGA movement.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #52378 on: January 26, 2024, 02:53:51 pm »

Alternatively, just don't execute people.
It's always the weirdest thing that anti-government folks also have a pretty strong tendency to trust the government to perform executions. It's, like, I know what's actually going on there, but it's still frikkin' weird. Someone won't trust 'em to collect or spend taxes or regulate pollution or something but will trust them with the authority to kill people. Makes no damn sense.

But yeah, just don't execute people sounds like a good baseline. Real hard to fuck up killing the wrong person or in the wrong way if you're just not killing people. Easy solution to stop issues related to the practice from happening, don't do the thing to begin with.

Nitrogen Hypoxia is probably* painless, it just takes a while after you fall unconscious to actually die.
It is (inert gas asphyxiation is one of the best methods of euthanasia we're aware of, so far as distress is concerned, and nitrogen is a primary vector for it), but the question I'd have is if that's what was actually used. It's frikkin' alabama, odds they screwed up whatever mixture was involved ain't low, and from what I recall a lot of providers of material for that sort of thing refuse to provide for purposes of execution. It's entirely too possible they just botched shit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52379 on: January 26, 2024, 06:22:47 pm »

The desire to have executions happen is related to group dynamics that involve higher ratios of coercion. Did you feel threatened and needed a place to take shelter, then someone gave you shelter but demands an ongoing tax in exchange? Were you angry with your inability to just take from others because of "laws", then someone offered you legitimate work allowing you to both take from others, and to threaten and commit violence? Did you manage to take control of or create a group of people that includes a bunch of victims and your close band of enforcers? Everybody in a group like this enjoys it when an execution happens... it wasn't them that was targeted this time, or they got to hurt someone, or their underlings become more obedient overall.

The perception of what punishment is deserved is directly related to how much coercion is in your life.
     and
Pages: 1 ... 3490 3491 [3492] 3493 3494 ... 3519