Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20

Author Topic: Oxygen Not Included: Alpha Release  (Read 45590 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oxygen Not Included: Alpha Release
« Reply #150 on: December 20, 2018, 10:01:54 am »

This is the oxygen setup I've been using:

(tho I always pipe the hydrogen thru a filter to avoid damaging my generator. same for oxygen, but only before it goes into exosuits).
This plus one water pump, it just barely uses under 1000 power.

As soon as I've got some basic necessities running (farms, better batteries, light for my bristles), I start researching what I need to build this, including the smelter thingy for the automation wires. I always only smelt gold, so I try to find a place where I can tunnel to some without disturbing any slime blocks - mining slimes releases the slimelung. Usually even the swampy biomes are not hazardous before you mine at least one slime. There are exceptions.

If you managed to mine slime, try to drown it in some liquid so it doesn't release polluted oxygen with the germs.

Then it's really important to get insulated tiles. I surround my base with a insulator box (avoid digging to much towards the granite, to keep the heat away until you can do this).

I keep the heat producing stuff on the outside, that included my electrolyzers, batteries, and my food grills - the latter are just outside the insulated area, easy to access. Once I get exosuits, the only way to exit the insulated box is thru a checkpoint.

I don't know if this is still the case, but electrolyzers always output hot oxygen, so if you have cold water, maybe pipe it thru somewhere hot that you want to cool down (maybe using radiant pipes, or to feed a smelter) before inputting it into the machine.

EDIT: Forgot to add, since oxygen is always outputted at 60-70°C, don't pipe it straight into your base, let it spread the heat a bit outside your cooler area with a combination of radiant and insulated pipes - even if the air is 40°C outside your base that's still better than 70°C.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 10:20:35 am by Sergius »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 20, 2018, 11:26:26 am »

I have to ask: what advantage does this have over a SPOM?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 20, 2018, 01:22:35 pm »

How many dupes do you normally use? Personally, I find 8 is enough for my base's needs, especially when they're cross-trained in every job requiring 8 or lower morale.

I typically settle in around 12, though that particular one was at 16. I like the feel of larger populations, despite their many issues.

This time, I somehow managed to screw up my priority system such that they weren't making enough edible dirt,

Well, there's your problem: mush bars are a terribly inefficient way to feed your colony. Calorie for calorie, they need three times the water and twice the labor that liceloaf does, as well as consuming valuable dirt (mealwood plants have the same problem, but more slowly) and running a risk of both sickness and morale problems.

Nah, they had plenty of water and dirt (the meal lice I was running a shortage of); they just weren't producing any regardless of how I set my priorities. They'd rather idle around than work at any of the emergency mushers I setup. Must've gotten a set of millenial dupes or something...
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 20, 2018, 05:29:48 pm »

SPOM is a Self-Powering Oxygen Module. That means the hydrogen feeds a generator which powers the whole thing.

Therefore, this is a SPOM, the generator is just slightly outside the view.

EDIT: Alternatively, the SPOMs may include an integrated cooling system.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 05:32:55 pm by Sergius »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 21, 2018, 10:14:19 am »

Having my first "serious" game that hasn't ended in early disaster and I found a steam geiser extremely close to my base (it's at the very border of the slime biome). I am a bit wary of activating it in case I flood my base with heat so... how many layers of insulation (keeping in mind I only got sandstone and minute ammounts of obsidian) should I wrap around it before tapping it? Also any tips on how to cool down the water before piping it to the base, keeping in mind I haven't found a cold biome yet.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 21, 2018, 10:27:49 am »

Reading some forums, I just found out that there's a switch in priorities called "enable proximity" that prevents dupes from going all the way to some far biome in their exosuit to mine one single tile, then go back to the base to water a single plant, and so on...  >:(

And I've played this for years, never noticed this button or when they added it.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 21, 2018, 10:39:28 am »

Having my first "serious" game that hasn't ended in early disaster and I found a steam geiser extremely close to my base (it's at the very border of the slime biome). I am a bit wary of activating it in case I flood my base with heat so... how many layers of insulation (keeping in mind I only got sandstone and minute ammounts of obsidian) should I wrap around it before tapping it? Also any tips on how to cool down the water before piping it to the base, keeping in mind I haven't found a cold biome yet.
Hot Steam or Cold Steam? There's a difference of several hundred degrees. For cold steam, at least, I've found it best to just let it do it's thing - the steam will naturally condense, then flow into a (rather hot) pond. Generally speaking, you'll want to use this water to feed into your electrolysers, since they don't care what temperature the water is. Cooling the water either takes running it through an ice biome (preferably with radiant pipes, tempshift plates, and ideally next to an AETN) or multiple runs through an aquatuner - note, you will need a way to keep the aquatuner cool, or it'll melt down almost immediately.

Normally just a single layer of insulation should be fine as long as you're not dealing with a volcano or similarly 1000+ degree items.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 21, 2018, 10:42:18 am »

Hot Steam or Cold Steam? There's a difference of several hundred degrees. For cold steam, at least, I've found it best to just let it do it's thing - the steam will naturally condense, then flow into a (rather hot) pond. Generally speaking, you'll want to use this water to feed into your electrolysers, since they don't care what temperature the water is. Cooling the water either takes running it through an ice biome (preferably with radiant pipes, tempshift plates, and ideally next to an AETN) or multiple runs through an aquatuner - note, you will need a way to keep the aquatuner cool, or it'll melt down almost immediately.

Normally just a single layer of insulation should be fine as long as you're not dealing with a volcano or similarly 1000+ degree items.
Seriously? I was under the impression that it was all hot. The vent is called "cool", so I imagine it's cold then. At the time I thought it was because it was inactive, further reinforced by it being super hot in the thermal vision mode.

EDIT: Reading it up on the wiki, it seems it is just less hot than the "hot" one. I suppose I should try to make an expedition to grab wheezeworths and make a cooler-farm out of them.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:47:58 am by Teneb »
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 21, 2018, 10:49:33 am »

Cool steam vent means as cold as steam can be, which is about 100°C. Anything colder is just called water 8)

It's a bit hot by third-degree-burns standards.

Not sure how hot a hot steam vent is.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 21, 2018, 11:58:30 am »

SPOM is a Self-Powering Oxygen Module. That means the hydrogen feeds a generator which powers the whole thing.

Therefore, this is a SPOM, the generator is just slightly outside the view.

EDIT: Alternatively, the SPOMs may include an integrated cooling system.

I meant the standard SPOM that most people use, the one that isolates the hot hydrogen and cools the oxygen with Wheezeworts. Yours looks like it's going to leak heat from the hydrogen output into your base, so I was wondering if you had a reason to do that.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 21, 2018, 12:12:43 pm »

I meant the standard SPOM that most people use, the one that isolates the hot hydrogen and cools the oxygen with Wheezeworts. Yours looks like it's going to leak heat from the hydrogen output into your base, so I was wondering if you had a reason to do that.

Leak heat how? To clarify, this SPOM is not inside my base, so all heat is just diffused wherever. In the picture, only the room that holds the electrolyzer and pumps is the module. The oxygen goes into my base via pipes, I can cool it whatever way I want on the way there, including piping it thru a wheezewort room, cold water, thermo regulators, etc. Since it's outside of the base, it cools down a bit (to 30°C or so) just by traveling thru whatever biome is near.

When I get home I'll take a picture of my actual (temporary) setup.

EDIT: If you mean that hydrogen gets pumped into the base, it doesn't, as long as there's enough pressure, the hydrogen always goes to the upper pump and the oxygen to the lower pump.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 12:15:38 pm by Sergius »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 21, 2018, 12:33:03 pm »

Leak heat how? To clarify, this SPOM is not inside my base, so all heat is just diffused wherever. In the picture, only the room that holds the electrolyzer and pumps is the module. The oxygen goes into my base via pipes, I can cool it whatever way I want on the way there, including piping it thru a wheezewort room, cold water, thermo regulators, etc. Since it's outside of the base, it cools down a bit (to 30°C or so) just by traveling thru whatever biome is near.

When I get home I'll take a picture of my actual (temporary) setup.

EDIT: If you mean that hydrogen gets pumped into the base, it doesn't, as long as there's enough pressure, the hydrogen always goes to the upper pump and the oxygen to the lower pump.

Oh, I know they're passively separated; my worry was that you've got standard sandstone tiles separating 343 K hydrogen from the surrounding biomes, so the hydrogen chamber itself is going to heat up everything around it and, eventually, add to the heat you've got to deal with every time you expand your base or bring things in from outside. Same with the oxygen, actually, but I've been assuming that's cooled fairly quickly anyway.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 21, 2018, 03:20:31 pm »

Well, RIP my easily accessed steam vent and sustainable base. Had to reformat to test another motherboard in order to see if mine is faulty (it is).

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 21, 2018, 03:29:26 pm »

Well, RIP my easily accessed steam vent and sustainable base. Had to reformat to test another motherboard in order to see if mine is faulty (it is).

If you'd like another such map, I have a note here saying that 325634567 is, or was, a good seed with easily accessible geysers. Not sure if it still is.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 21, 2018, 05:56:34 pm »

Oh, I know they're passively separated; my worry was that you've got standard sandstone tiles separating 343 K hydrogen from the surrounding biomes, so the hydrogen chamber itself is going to heat up everything around it and, eventually, add to the heat you've got to deal with every time you expand your base or bring things in from outside. Same with the oxygen, actually, but I've been assuming that's cooled fairly quickly anyway.

I do that on purpose to help cool down my machines, the gases before they actually enter my base, etc.

So far I've been playing with the minimal base size, just enough for 6 dupes, their various areas, and I try not to dig huge areas of "wilderness" unless I want to build something there or store liquids/gases. The rest of the world is accessed via Exosuit and narrow-ish tunnels. I keep biomes separated by waterlocks and try to preserve critter habitats (and prevent critters from going outside theirs) using doors. The amount of heat that actually goes to the outside world is negligible, I think, and I'm talking nearly 1000 cycles.

The more established I am, the more I usually start worrying about preserving temperatures and stuff outside of my area.

Here's also another small trick about this game: unexplored areas don't play in the background, so any tiles you haven't encountered yet don't exchange heat with each other, and critters don't age or reproduce or die. So it also helps that I don't explore too fast before I have enough stuff going on that I can preserve stuff like heat and live critters.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20