Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20

Author Topic: Oxygen Not Included: Alpha Release  (Read 45227 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oxygen Not Included: Alpha Release
« Reply #165 on: December 21, 2018, 07:07:14 pm »

Generally speaking, wild critters passively reproduce at a 1:1 ratio before they die, so releasing them doesn't have a large effect on their life cycle, barring multiple wild pacu being isolated in small ponds.

I personally strip mine the entire map, going up about 20-30 tiles from the printer and then down to the oil layer before I stop. I've reached over 400 cycles and no issues with heat, even with a cool steam vent and a natural gas vent dumping their output into the open space. The reason is that I avoid mining any ice biomes, instead pumping fluid over the ice and letting it passively melt. If you mine ice, you lost 50% of the volume of water compared to melting it, so it's a good habit to use your warm water to melt it instead.

The downside is losing the occasional sleet wheat pocket to polluted water, but checking every few cycles and running ladders across will help with that. My base is over 450 cycles and temperatures outside my insulated bubble range from 5-35°C.

Once I run out of ice biomes, I'll worry about setting up heat management systems, but strip mining the map gives so many resources I'll never need to worry about the resource cost when I do get around to it.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 21, 2018, 08:49:18 pm »

I used to do strip mining, I've settled into this playstyle for now.

Also, it seems that around this update, electrolyzers no longer output at a fixed temp, the gases are only about 5 degrees warmer than the incoming liquid.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 23, 2018, 03:13:42 pm »

Not sure if I can put the link directly, this is what my base looks right now at cycle 167.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 12:11:19 am by Sergius »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 23, 2018, 03:19:43 pm »

Not sure if I can put the link directly, this is what my base looks right now at cycle 167.

Those two unmined patches in your storage room and next to your medbed... *twitchtwitch*
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 23, 2018, 04:47:03 pm »

Those two unmined patches in your storage room and next to your medbed... *twitchtwitch*

I think there's a hatch in those, I don't want to release them.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 24, 2018, 12:13:57 am »

Trying to see how many bedrooms I can cram within decor range of the Printing Pod for a negligible gain (like, if I'm a cheap bastards that wants to save every penny on granite).

EDIT: The top and bottom floors could be replaced by a washroom and a great hall respectively if I'm not using that many dupes.

EDIT2: D'oh! I stupidly misread the requirement for bedrooms, "single comfy bed" doesn't mean it has to be at most one bed. You can still cram several dupes together. Disregard this silly design.
Now, off to make the perfect shinebug decorbomb room.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 07:10:32 pm by Sergius »

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 26, 2018, 09:51:58 pm »

Trying to see how many bedrooms I can cram within decor range of the Printing Pod for a negligible gain (like, if I'm a cheap bastards that wants to save every penny on granite).

EDIT: The top and bottom floors could be replaced by a washroom and a great hall respectively if I'm not using that many dupes.

EDIT2: D'oh! I stupidly misread the requirement for bedrooms, "single comfy bed" doesn't mean it has to be at most one bed. You can still cram several dupes together. Disregard this silly design.
Now, off to make the perfect shinebug decorbomb room.

"save every penny on granite" *puts glass/diamond everywhere* ok  :D

unfortunately there is now a maximum decor value too, so the results from that shinebug room may vary...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 27, 2018, 10:49:22 am »

I tried using glass, but it took forever to make and diamond is actually plentiful (and with rocketry it is infinite).

The maximum decor is misleading. The popup shows a limit, but the real 120 decor limit is on the daily average for a dupe. The decor at any given time and place can be 1000 or more.

If you want to see the actual decor in a place, move a dupe there (forbid him leaving using a door or something) and check the decor in the properties.

EDIT: To clarify, the 120 decor is not a limit, but anything above an average of 120 for the cycle gives +12 morale, so it doesn't matter if the average is 121 or 500.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 10:52:27 am by Sergius »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 27, 2018, 07:52:35 pm »

Interesting fact: diamond window tiles have better thermal conductivity and specific heat capacity than any metal tile other than thermium, which is late-game anyhow. A perfect flooring tile for building high temperature heat transfer systems.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 30, 2018, 04:05:02 pm »

I tried using glass, but it took forever to make and diamond is actually plentiful (and with rocketry it is infinite).

The maximum decor is misleading. The popup shows a limit, but the real 120 decor limit is on the daily average for a dupe. The decor at any given time and place can be 1000 or more.

If you want to see the actual decor in a place, move a dupe there (forbid him leaving using a door or something) and check the decor in the properties.

EDIT: To clarify, the 120 decor is not a limit, but anything above an average of 120 for the cycle gives +12 morale, so it doesn't matter if the average is 121 or 500.

Ahh, I assume you have fed all your granite to hatches then? Actually didn't think of that, whoops. Thanks for the clarification on decor, it really is misleading how it's displayed ingame.

Interesting fact: diamond window tiles have better thermal conductivity and specific heat capacity than any metal tile other than thermium, which is late-game anyhow. A perfect flooring tile for building high temperature heat transfer systems.

Hu, suppose I'm gonna replace my rocket launch pad then. Currently it's all tungsten tiles, transferring the heat into a slime->dirt cooker, and I have less thermium available as a result...

EDIT: Read a second ago that it used to be "possible" to melt insulation or abyssalite into tungsten, does anyone know if that's still a thing? With temperatures of ~3600°C required it sounds like a very dwarven project.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 04:16:55 pm by EvilTwin »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 31, 2018, 09:17:00 am »

The problem I see is that it's very difficult to raise the temp of abyssalite. Even if you put it in a hot room at 3600 degrees, the abyssalite itself might only raise 1 degree in 100 cycles or something. (I haven't actually checked but that's the whole point of abyssalite)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 31, 2018, 03:16:12 pm »

Wouldn't that also be an equally large headache to try and cool, too?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 01, 2019, 08:04:53 am »

I bought this last year yesterday, went in mostly blind, and will probably have to abandon my first game due to starvation. And after reading the last few pages, I don't know if I'm actually intelligent enough to be successful at this game. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to try.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 01, 2019, 11:25:59 am »

The problem I see is that it's very difficult to raise the temp of abyssalite. Even if you put it in a hot room at 3600 degrees, the abyssalite itself might only raise 1 degree in 100 cycles or something. (I haven't actually checked but that's the whole point of abyssalite)

I see the same problem, but it should still be possible. Considering Tungsten is non-renewable without this any amount I can create is quite valuable imo, plus since abyssalite absorbs so little heat it should be possible to convert huge batches at once, or split it up into tiny pieces to have a constant flow. One idea I just had is that tempshift plates can be constructed from insulation, so maybe that could be the way to go...
I am currently constructing a large-scale cooling system with super coolant, once that is done I'll set this plan in action^^

Wouldn't that also be an equally large headache to try and cool, too?

Cooling is not an issue as it converts to tungsten which has a very high thermal conductivity. I have a large surplus of water so I can just put it in a vat of water and let the steam escape to space...

I bought this last year yesterday, went in mostly blind, and will probably have to abandon my first game due to starvation. And after reading the last few pages, I don't know if I'm actually intelligent enough to be successful at this game. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to try.

The stuff we're talking about is very much endgame and not needed to enjoy the game or be successful at it at all. I've lost like 10-15 colonies until I got to grips with the game, once you realize how to get your dupes to not die you can just go slow and start tinkering, it's very much like DF in that regard.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 11:29:49 am by EvilTwin »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 01, 2019, 12:54:18 pm »

Well, my second attempt is going better than the first. Stupidly got a sixth duplicant after forgetting the reason for not doing so wasn't the food supply, but the fact that I'm still building up the living space for the other five, which are including fully plumbed washrooms - toilet+sink, showers were bigger than the original room plan so those will be public - and will eventually demolish the outhouses. Already have the pipework set up, though I'll need to bring in more water from another reservoir soon. Almost have a purification system for the resulting wastewater, but I researched the wrong thing causing a delay. Luckily the reservoir for the wastewater will be enough until I get that built. Also starting to get a buildup of poisonous oxygen, but I'm putting deodorizers in place.

The reason why the food supply failed in the first attempt was I didn't realize you could make slightly edible diarrhea foodstuff from just dirt and water. I was wondering why it was giving me warnings to build the microbe musher right at the start.

How many algae terrariums do I need? I thought I had enough to turn off the oxygen diffuser, but some of the upper layers(the residences) are starting to suffocate.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20