Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 57

Author Topic: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.  (Read 73877 times)

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The unpopular/controversial ideas thread.
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2017, 07:44:56 am »

That being said, if a chick really wants to pee standing up at a urinal next to me in the men's bathroom, I'm probably just gonna file that one under 'Cool' and move on with my life.

Having seen this a fair few times at festivals I file it under gross but understandable. Sometimes you've just got to go & urinal queues are a heap quicker.

What's so gross?
Yeah like Covenant said not the greatest look. I don't know, I guess I switch pretty quickly into not pay attention mode same as with guys after the initial surprise.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2017, 07:54:07 am »

easy there john calvin, it ain't that weird

edit: tangentially related controversial opinion, but most dudes should pee sitting down too anyway. i don't really give a shit about dudes leaving the seat up (tho i am of the opinion that you should always put the seat and cover down, it really doesn't save you any time to skip this step, don't be lazy), but i've known too many guys who stink up the place because they can't aim for shit. if you can't get your piss in the water like a civilised person, sit your ass down and take a moment to think about what a failure you are
For what it's worth, folks both male and female have been leaving the seat up where I'm living. It's not a time thing, it's the fact that if you leave it down one of those folks that have occasional trouble aiming will get the seat instead of the bowl, when they're in too much of a hurry or just forget to lift it when they go themselves. It may not save time so far as pissing goes, but it definitely saves time from not having to clean the toilet seat.

... that said, if you're not somewhat incontinent elderly you probably shouldn't need that kind of consideration.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2017, 08:03:51 am »

I think it's odd that people have conflated masculine / feminine gender roles with sexuality.  I put them on orthogonal axes.

But I also have an internal philosophical debate with gender dysphoria - when the mind is in opposition to physical reality, when should the mind win? Or, which parts of physical reality (genitals vs. brain structure+chemistry) should win?  Or put another way - why is it perceived that changing the mind to match genitals is "bad" but changing the genitals to match the mind "acceptable"?  Especially given that in many other areas of life, changing the mind is favored over changing physical things.  Maybe there isn't a rule that can be applied to all situations.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2017, 08:40:19 am »

Mind tends to be a fair bit more important, mostly, and by and large changing ourselves and our environment to suit our needs (mental and otherwise) is basically what we do as a species. Whether changing the mind or the situation is considered more favorable depends a significant amount of the situation -- "many" is not "most", if you will. Also probably worth noting that changing the genitals to match the mind isn't considered acceptable for a lot of people. I'd disagree pretty strenuously with 'em myself, but it's a thing.

That, and as near as I can recall very, very few people that have tried to change the mind to match the body (in the sense of buggering the brain chemistry into matching the plumbing rather than the other way around) in the considered situation actually managed it, particularly in any way that was even remotely healthy. There's virtue in reasonableness and proper consideration, not so much self-flagellation and psychosis-inducing denial.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2017, 09:02:10 am »

I think it's odd that people have conflated masculine / feminine gender roles with sexuality.  I put them on orthogonal axes.

Really? I think all those things are part of nature's toolbox to cause babies to be made, which is the only thing that nature cares about. Everything else is an incidental occurence. Just because two things are orthogonal in principle doesn't mean that every possible "box" in the grid is equally likely.

In D&D terms it would be as if you had alignments, but 90% of people fell on the one diagonal between Lawful Good, and Chaotic Evil. While they're not in principle connected, the low number of people not on the axis makes it appear they're linked.

If you are a male with "straight" orientation, then you're atracted to female-appearing people. And those people are only going to like you back if they're interested in male-appearing people. But apart from that, people are attracted to mates who have the appropriate behavior, this is true of all species. So gender role performance is in fact part of the process of mating. And this is the entire engine that drives procreation, so there's a bias to aligning gendered behavior and sexuality in this direction.

Sure you can point to "outliers" who buck the trends, but nature doesn't care whether their are outliers, as long as there are enough "regulars" that do actually breed. One set of designs must be able to create both male and female based on a shared set of chemical signals. So of course, those signals can get crossed. Genetics is messy, so of course nature can't guarantee a perfect result every time, it just needs to guaranteed a good enough result, enough of the time, that enough babbies get made.

And the "regulars" do the vast bulk of baby making. e.g. women who are attracted to male "provider" types and have "maternal instinct" are just naturally going to have more resources invested in their kids than ones who don't, so their kids get ahead in the game. Basically, there's a co-evolution here between the hormone signals and the gender-related traits. The process is constantly optimizing to differentiate the sexes in a way that maximizes baby making. Sure, it's not PC, but nature doesn't know or care about offending our sensibilities.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 09:29:54 am by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2017, 09:39:35 am »

In all honesty, the main reason I don't understand the toilet seat debate is that I don't use the toilet seat at all, and find it uncomfortable even when sitting on the toilet.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2017, 09:44:53 am »

What is the toilet seat debate? Hole in ground or toilet?

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2017, 09:48:06 am »

Tbh I just always sit down (given the option)
Because I'm literally too lazy to stand
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2017, 09:48:33 am »

Japanese style squat toilets. Western toilets cause more back problems, as well as hernias, since you need to push harder when not in squatting position:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYcv6odWfTM

Plus they end the debate about seat up/down forever.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 09:54:29 am by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2017, 09:52:02 am »

This is too stupid. Too much debate, not enough toilet

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2017, 09:53:39 am »

No. Toolet seat up or down.

I've never liked holes in the ground...

I find the lack of bidets in the  US and UK disturbing btw.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2017, 09:59:11 am »

Toilet seat has hinges, it can be up or down. So why debate toilet seat

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2017, 10:03:54 am »

No. Toolet seat up or down.

I've never liked holes in the ground...

I find the lack of bidets in the  US and UK disturbing btw.

I find the concept of bidets disturbing.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2017, 10:07:21 am »

Edit: That said I would like to see old fashion weapon and armor use become part of mixed martial arts so maybe I'm just a hypocrite.

while i haven't really seen any hema sparring done with traditional armour as opposed to modern safety gear, i'm sure it's a thing some people do. people honestly underestimate the efficacy of medieval armour, especially against medieval armaments. between video games being video games and the ubiquity of morons performing weapon tests against completely ahistorical butted mail, there's a lot of misinformation out there about how effective armour actually is, especially mail, and to a lesser degree padded cloth armours
People wear modern safety gear because, quite honestly, they dont want to get hurt, medieval armor is heavier and can be expensive as all hell, and the organisations dont want to have any form of legal trouble if someone's subpar ringmail tears and they get the pointy bit where the blood's supposed to be. You can strike real armor a lot harder and faster than safety gear, and that means that if something goes wrong, it's going to go wrong a lot more seriously.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2017, 10:09:41 am »

Maybe we should discuss the use of martial arts and armor in the toilet.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 57