Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 57

Author Topic: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.  (Read 74223 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.
« Reply #465 on: March 12, 2017, 06:27:54 pm »

Just wanted to annoy her a bit. We ended up settling on 'Stas'.

Ahah, you just backed down when she called you NS in returned.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: March 13, 2017, 09:59:22 am »

Controversial idea: The US government should cut it's discretionary military spending by half and instead distribute that money to all it's residents (including children with their share being allocated to their parents until they're adults) each year, turning the average American into an economic powerhouse by literally dumping millions of dollars into their budget each year.

Military spending would still be 3 times that of Russia by the way.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 13, 2017, 10:17:37 am »

Controversial idea: The US government should cut it's discretionary military spending by half and instead distribute that money to all it's residents (including children with their share being allocated to their parents until they're adults) each year, turning the average American into an economic powerhouse by literally dumping millions of dollars into their budget each year.

Controversial idea: this is not a controversial idea in the political outlook of these forums in general.

United Forenia Forever!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 13, 2017, 12:49:48 pm »

This smells like a confusion between million = 10^6 and million = 10^9.  There are only about 330x10^6 people in the US.  The entire annual US government spending is "only" $3.8 x 10^12.  That is on the order of $1 x 10^4 per person.  I'm not sure how you'd consider this dumping "millions" into the average American's budget each year.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 12:51:51 pm by McTraveller »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 13, 2017, 01:10:54 pm »

Uncontroversial idea: the metric system is superior to this nonsense we've been raised with over here in the states.

Controversial-ish idea: many of the countries that do use metric also use nonsense like million = 1,000,000,000 and should be roundly mocked for it.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 13, 2017, 01:13:12 pm »

Nobody uses million == 10^9. Many use milliard ==  10^9, and yeah, it's slightly dumb - but also slightly useful, because it allows us to talk about really big numbers without resorting to made-up-sounding words.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 13, 2017, 01:15:56 pm »

But 10^9 is a billion.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 13, 2017, 01:20:40 pm »

Ah, yeah, I forgot just how ridiculous the long scale was: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales

Controversial idea: billion/quadrillion/sextillion is obviously less nonsensical sounding than milliard/billiard/trilliard.

Bi: 1000x10002
Tri: 1000x10003
Quad: 1000x10004

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 13, 2017, 01:30:59 pm »

A more "fun" idea I've heard regarding things like universal income, etc, from http://marshallbrain.com/manna1.htm:

Every person gets, say, $100k every year.  You aren't allowed to put any into savings or carry any over to the next year, and loans are also outlawed; at the end of the year every account resets.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 13, 2017, 01:41:27 pm »

"No officer, my family just has a tradition of using gold bullion for stocking stuffers every year."
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: March 13, 2017, 01:43:26 pm »

Sorta politics, but: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39251655 is about Texas (goddammit) being extra backwards and one woman senator there putting forward a bill that would add a fine to any ejaculation done without intent of procreation, a nice "ha ha, fuck you" to the generally male sorts pushing these bills.

Except down at the bottom you see "Elizabeth Graham, blah blah, long time fighter for stripping her own reproductive rights through the power of hateful ignorance" and I'm not sure how controversial it is, but I feel that she's actually worse than the guys doing this shit. Lord knows the sort who push the "women are walking incubators" mindset don't need any help shoveling their bullshit, much less from a woman. "See, see, she agrees with us, we're on the right side!"

Thanks, Graham.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 13, 2017, 01:46:16 pm »

I've been wondering about jobs having a wage maximum and minimum according to the social value they created.

So hospital cleaners would earn a lot more, but advertising consultants might earn very little.

Very nebuous concept to measure, but an interesting thought.

One wheel short of a wagon

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 13, 2017, 02:12:05 pm »

I've been wondering about jobs having a wage maximum and minimum according to the social value they created.

So hospital cleaners would earn a lot more, but advertising consultants might earn very little.

Very nebuous concept to measure, but an interesting thought.
My "controversial" response: society, in aggregate, already sets wages in proportion to the value they provide.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 13, 2017, 02:15:47 pm »

Ah, yeah, I forgot just how ridiculous the long scale was: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales

Controversial idea: billion/quadrillion/sextillion is obviously less nonsensical sounding than milliard/billiard/trilliard.

Bi: 10003
Tri: 10004
Quad: 10005
FTFY.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 13, 2017, 02:18:32 pm »

Wait, by "in aggregate", do you mean that the combined wages of all of society equals the combined value created by all society?

Or do you just mean generally? Because I fail to see how that figures with "social value", as in collective value to community.

I might concede the point with "value to the employer". Employers often pay people what it's worthwhile for them to pay them. :P
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 57