Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 188241 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2400 on: June 15, 2017, 04:35:46 am »

I'd prefer to do a warming spell, either better winds or Heat from Hell, because the part where our armies are freezing to death is one of our biggest troop killers and keeps being called out as a thing that is hurting us badly. And then spend another revision on education.

Quick post as I'm in the phone,  but I think we should make our ammunition explosive in response to their fire proofing.
Don't we already have explosive shells with our fire ammo? We don't need explosive shells, we need armor piercing, negating, or bypassing shells.

If we want another shell, I'd prefer to try to make a sonic spell and see if we can get a Shatter effect going.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: June 15, 2017, 04:40:17 am »

That was fantastic! Looks like we've got ourselves another good fighting chance!
The cold needs to be dealt with asap. Also, I propose keeping the Arstotzkans on their toes by striking them with a new offensive spell:

Design idea:

Zephyr of Allah

Mastery over the winds is a deeply-rooted aspect of Moskurg's identity, having been heavily utilised in all theatres of war since our first forays into the divine arts. Our prowess in storm manipulation remains unparalleled, and the advent of Divine Desert Winds saw us moving air in larger bulk volumes than ever before, together with learning how to do so without damaging our own infrastructure. Now it's time to take all we have learnt and move one step forward. Zephyr of Allah is a new WMD weather spell through which our mages hope to mimic the devastating torrents which are known to have struck our lands in times gone by. Elaborating on our airflow manipulation techniques, we aim to unleash a controlled tornado upon the enemy, crippling opposition at land, sea and sky.

Revision idea:

Thermogenic Adamantium

(Adapted from earlier discussion.)
One of the most wondrous properties of our divine metal is its ability to maintain a constant temperature irrespective of its external environment. In an effort to combat the frigid inhospitality of the Arstotzkan-tainted battlefields, our Researcher-Priests have begun experimenting with the adamantium summoning process with the intention of learning how to modify the set temperature of the metal before it is brought into existence. The immediate significance of this revision is its implications on armour. Once mastery over the temperature-setting process is accomplished, we will be able to outfit our troops such that they will always be kept at optimum Moskurger operating temperatures, vastly increasing our efficiency irrespective of the ambient temperature at the fronts. (In other words, warm enough to negate the effects of the Towers of Frost and grant us our own temperature bonus. Made possible since we're directly heating the individual, as opposed to the whole theatre.)

Successfully developing the Zephyr will cement our naval advantage (sufficiently powerful waterspouts are known to have capsized even modern cruise ships on occasion!) and ensure we have a backup weapon in case the Arstotzkans continue reinforcing against lightning strikes (which is likely, given the effect they had on our last battle).

Although I would have liked to devote a design to gain control over all of adamantium's properties, as was last proposed, I feel that it's unnecessarily ambitious at this point, and the additional advantages would not be immediately exploitable. Personally, I feel that achieving temperature control via revision gets the job done whilst freeing up the design space to reinforce our existing advantages.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 10:50:23 am by Atomic Chicken »
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: June 15, 2017, 04:45:57 am »

Woah. I did not expect us to reclaim a section of mountain this turn. Jungle and plains, sure. But mountain as well?
...honestly, I though we were done for. But we've turned things around!

I think we should spend either the design or a revision on a spell to counter the cold. One of the revisions we should spend fixing last turn's revision. The third development... magnets? Eh? Anyone? No? I'll show myself out.

E: Actually, I think AC has it right. Dealing damage with non-lightning spells is important, lest the Arstotzkans start wearing faraday cages that make them immune to lightning develop an actual way of protecting themselves against lightning. And modifying the temperature of Adamantium is a solid idea that I've advocated before.
Consider my vote to be for Zephyr at the moment.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 05:08:30 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: June 15, 2017, 06:02:10 am »

I want Night Vision, Eye In The Sky, and Airship Improvements.

But the Zephyr is something that should prove fairly powerful as well as accounts for their beginning to pursue Lightning Defense.

(3) Zephyr of Allah:Atomic Chicken, NUKE9.13, SMMI

Revision wise, I'm thinking we do Thermal Adamantium and Airship Improvements? They're going to start making specific accuracy upgrades soon for their arty as it only takes one solid hit to kill it.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: June 15, 2017, 06:44:57 am »

Revision wise, I'm thinking we do Thermal Adamantium and Airship Improvements? They're going to start making specific accuracy upgrades soon for their arty as it only takes one solid hit to kill it.

I'm all for improving our airships, though finishing off last turn's academy stuff would also be nice. What exactly do you have in mind for an airship revision?
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: June 15, 2017, 07:37:25 am »

Either specifically armor improvements, so they can better tank, or speed/maneuverablity improvements so they can go further and faster. Both would be excellect but we need to get Thermal Adamantium or some sort of cold counter online.

Actually, why not lower the expense of them? We make Airship Construction Yards, streamlining the enchanting and construction aspect of them. If we got them down to Expensive, that would make fantastic gains all around, and then next turn we could see about improving them in a different way if we so chose.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: June 15, 2017, 08:31:06 am »

Guys, hold up on voting. I have a few ideas ideas that will likely change things for the better:

Shield of the Righteous
This spell is a wonder, even of magic. A soldier under the protection of this spell is marked with the symbol of lightning from a storm, and cannot be touched by it. This spell is capable of protecting entire squads from the effect of our lightning. It allows the Hammer to be used continuously in combat. Our soldiers can charge through the blinding flashes of lightning without issue, reaching Arstotzkan positions in numbers for the first time since the dominion of artillery began.

---Basically, the above spell allows us to literally fight them in the midst of a rain of death from above. It will blind their apprentices and artillery operators to the approach of our troops, who, until now, couldn't do that. We'll destroy their morale and also kill them in droves.

Crystal Solvent
Using our staves of Tubikh Rrahim and crystals left behind on the battlefield after combat, we devise a new version of the staves, capable of dissolving the crystals rapidly, and at ranges that can stretch from an Alsamma Safina to the enemy's cannons when holding position out of their line of fire. Arstotzkan crystal is not properly summoned, as they are heathen infidel barbarians with no cultural appreciation for Allah, so their crystals shall be easily dissolved by our greater magics. We will call down the strength of Allah and destroy their will to fight, as well as their weapons and armor and cannons and ships and all the weapons of war they depend upon. None shall stand.

---I think you guys can see the IMMEDIATE applications of this technology. I actually think our turn should look like this, and this is what I'm voting for:

DESIGN:
Crystal Solvent (Getting Rid of Crystalline Crap)
Revision 1:
Fix Crystal Solvent if necessary (Hopefully not)
OR
Work on lightning protection (Manipulating lightning is something we're experts at)
Revision 2:
Work on lightning protection. If we already have a functioning version, then we make it either cheaper or longer-lasting, whichever needs to happen more. Remember: Longer-lasting means it can be applied to

If we do this, next turn we'll be able to advance under the literally blinding cover of the Hammer, fight the inferior Arstotzkan infantry hand-to-hand again AS THEY GET STRUCK BY LIGHTNING, while DISSOLVING their cannons and ships. We'd be unbeatable. If we just do Crystal Solvent, THEY CAN'T BEAT US. Even if we spend the entire turn developing it, we'd end up being capable of destroying their armor, weapons, AND CANNONS, AND SHIPS.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 07:08:57 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: June 15, 2017, 08:45:29 am »

Hmm. We had crystal-dissolving magic before, but they countered it. What's to stop them countering it again? Also, what if their crystals are 'properly' summoned, and are basically like  our Adamantium? Or would your magic dissolve Adamantium as well?
...also, it's kind of cheap. "We dissolve your crystals" "We make our crystals dissolve-proof" "Oh yeah? Well, well, we dissolve them more!"

The lightning-proofing I like. I'm not 100% sure it would work out the way you intend, but it would definitely let us use it during skirmishes, which would be a boon. I think it would require a design to do, though. We don't really have a similar spell to revise into it.
My main problem with it, though, is that they are probably working on defences against our lightning even as we speak. I mean, lightning won us all three fronts this year. If they counter it, things go back to how they were before (with us losing)
Long Live United Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: June 15, 2017, 08:46:58 am »

Four fronts. All of them.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: June 15, 2017, 10:28:53 am »

Four fronts. All of them.
Must've been quite the celebration back home!

Crystal solvent
This sounded great initially, but I've got to agree with NUKE here. Crystal's practically their major domain at this point. The impact caused by such a weapon could be phenomenal, but there's no way they'd go more than a turn without figuring out how to counter the effect. (What would be truly fitting would be if we managed to deploy them right before invading their capital!)

The Zephyr, on the other hand, is a whirling column of wind; which falls entirely under our domain. As far as we know, the Arstotzkans have no straightforward means, magical or otherwise, to deal with it directly, meaning they'd be forced to at least put some effort into coming up with a solution.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: June 15, 2017, 10:36:05 am »

As talked about over on the Discord, I like the idea, but it needs something to back it up sufficiently, and shoring up our weaknesses will allow for it to have devastating effect.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: June 15, 2017, 11:11:20 am »

I'd prefer to do a warming spell, either better winds or Heat from Hell, because the part where our armies are freezing to death is one of our biggest troop killers and keeps being called out as a thing that is hurting us badly. And then spend another revision on education.

Quick post as I'm in the phone,  but I think we should make our ammunition explosive in response to their fire proofing.
Don't we already have explosive shells with our fire ammo? We don't need explosive shells, we need armor piercing, negating, or bypassing shells.

If we want another shell, I'd prefer to try to make a sonic spell and see if we can get a Shatter effect going.
If we are making an AP shot we will need to version of admintine that is more heavy/ denser to give it the wieght to punch through their gem armor. Fortunately since they are using crystals for armor punching a hole in it shoud shatter a large area of it.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: June 15, 2017, 11:40:11 am »

Alright, so, there's a lot of disagreement, but the reasoning behind anticrystal is this: If they could stop it, that'd be cool, but what would it entail? They'd probably have to burn the turn to do it.

Whatever they're doing this turn, we can be 90% guaranteed it will have something to do with their overused crystals, OR will be magical in order to stop our lightning from killing them all. So we counter THAT before it happens. Doing so will allow us to push them back for another turn.

The other options might, if we're lucky, stalemate everything for a turn. We don't want a stalemate. Keep them on the back foot. If they revise their crystals to be more stable yet again, we can already have a counter in place.

Perhaps we'll have a tornado that zips through their lines taking out cannons and men and deflecting cannonballs. But I don't want a tornado this turn, because it won't be as effective.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: June 15, 2017, 11:43:26 am »

Since we gained so much this battle we can use this safespace to get our behind the war tech up again.  If we spent the design on that airship construction yard chances are we can withstand on many battlegrounds. So I would go for the Construction Yard as design, then revise it if necessary, then revise our School Idea. If we succeed we should gain a boost in airships as well as mages.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: June 15, 2017, 11:49:48 am »

We can't, though. We can't afford the chance that they'll develop some spell or piece of equipment capable of nullifying our storm control. If they do, we're even worse off than where we started. But if we go antimagic NOW, we'll have even more time. Because we KNOW they'll have to restabilize their crystals. We KNOW they'll do that immediately. They've got no chance, otherwise. But this turn, WHO KNOWS? What's their secret project? Did they roll poorly, or is it so big they needed two turns regardless?

Antimagic is the BEST way we have of saving ourselves. It will buy us the time we need, because we know what they'll do. We don't know now, yet for the first time in the war, we can use one turn and know EXACTLY what they'll do in response.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 217