Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 377876 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1065 on: April 27, 2017, 05:15:19 pm »

Conjuration.

We made living animals and mist. It's not a large set to go from there to plants.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: April 27, 2017, 05:16:56 pm »

The description is decidedly un conjuration like.

In addition, using conjuration has the risk that they vanish just like the crystals when faced with anti magic.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: April 27, 2017, 05:19:36 pm »

Well, it doesn't have to be the functional equivalent of a palette-swapped conjuration spell. Designs are for now breakthroughs too, after all.
Just because a flaw is present in related spells doesn't mean it has to be present in this one as well.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 05:35:39 pm by Chiefwaffles »
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: April 27, 2017, 05:32:44 pm »

Plant growth is new research. Ideally, we want something that uses old research.

Honestly, at this point, steam cannons sound like a nice investment. Their wind can't block a cannon ball and it could help at sea. Has that already been discussed for this phase?

Yup, in the beginning. My opinion is that we should not invest in experimental steam derived techniques when we can't even get ordinary ones to work.

That's a good point, but we've already got the explosive bit to work, to some degree. And a steam cannon is significantly simpler than an engine. And it may give us something to use against enemy ships as well as in the jungle. We need to hold our position, and cannons are fantastic at doing so. There are a lot of potential benefits to steam cannons, especially if they're investing in ballistas.

However, if we continue on the way we have been in the jungle, we will be giving them an advantage there that will make it much harder for us to hold. (And may or may not effect the bonus from there). Learning how to accelerate plant growth could solve those issues and could potentially make their lives hell in the same way storm magic has for us.

EDIT:
Quote from: designs
1 steam cannon: Stabby
1 Obscuring Mists: shameless10ebor10
0 Timed Bomb Arrows :
0 Variable Crystal Weapons :
0 Fireball arrows :
0 Earth Elemental Control :
1 - (Anti-magic) "IFF System": Stabbyx2
0 - Anti-magic bomb lingering anti-magic fields:
0 - Anti-magic mines:
1 Attunement Rods: RAM
0 Crystal Tower Shields:
0 Saboteurs :
0 Design: Living Shields:
0 Design: Codpiece-Rippers:
2 Plant-growth: Chiefwaffles, Roboson
0 Permanent conjuration:
0 Pillar of unmagic:

Quote from: orders
1?Sell the Crystal Axes: shameless?
1 Use channelled fog: shamelessRAM

I think I'm going to put my vote into plant grow/manipulation. It has boundless possibilities (notice I'm not saying we're going to get them all in one design phase) if we invest in it. And it's incredibly difficult to counter.

Spoiler: My Plant Thoughts (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 05:56:20 pm by Roboson »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: April 27, 2017, 05:41:15 pm »

@Ram about the codpiece ripper, the main problem of our steam engine is us not knowing the right size for the turbine yet. Do you intend to fix that in the revision?  I feel that it could be added to the design, if you simplify other stuff like the gearwork. For example, instead of using an oar motion, we can have wheels with handles. Or actual oars in other parts of the ship.
I added a token comment about the turbines. Sorry that I didn't track the steam progress closely enough to know the details. But I feel that the transmission stuff is somewhat new and important and ought to be the focus. Steam really isn't my forte but I wanted a steamship recipe out there so I made one. Feel free to rip it off mercilessly to make your own if you like. I might make a snide comment about unoriginality but it would be meant jokingly!

We made living animals and mist. It's not a large set to go from there to plants.
Mine is a new field. We have worked with living matter before, so hopefully that would help, but the point is to make vegetation thrive, rather than to plop up some trees when needed. It is a pretty huge field of possibilities if it works. Things like revised farming to increase troop numbers, rapid spread spells to encroach the jungle into the desert, animate trees to have the jungle get up and walk to Moskurg-Prime and sit outside their gates... Not to mention the sprout sprog spell to manufacture Arstozkans by the dozen from a common cabbage-patch... And the endless need to produce wooden equipment would be aided by such magic, both obviously in quality and perhaps in quantity if we can nurture some mythical tree varieties... Or just unite the whole jungle into a single Yggdrasil sapling and watch it bloom...

But yeah, new tech is expensive, so you gotta be judicious.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: April 27, 2017, 05:44:39 pm »

I can get behind Plant growth, we can't let the jungle turn into the plains and plant growth could be used to build ships by simple speed growing them into shape.

and besides we need a field of magic to replace crystals as they kinda lost their use currently.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: April 27, 2017, 05:58:16 pm »

Well, still, it won't be a  huge leap in fields. Regardless, it's important to diversify, we essentially need it to keep the jungle, and again, it is very important to diversify! Definitely worth any possible risk.

It could even help in things like shielding against enemy ranges attacks without any further improvements. Assuming we don't get utterly awful rolls.

So that's... 2? more people supporting plant growth? Stabby and Roboson (wasn't sure about RAM). If I messed something up, feel free to change it yourself.
1 Obscuring Mists: 10ebor10
0 Timed Bomb Arrows :
0 Fireball arrows :
1 - (Anti-magic) "IFF System": Stabby
0 - Anti-magic mines:
0 Crystal Tower Shields:
0 Saboteurs :
1 Plant-growth: Chiefwaffles
0 Permanent conjuration:
0 Pillar of unmagic:
Quote from: orders
1 Sell the Crystal Axes: 10ebbor10
3 Use channelled fog: RAM, Robison, Stabby

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: April 27, 2017, 05:59:12 pm »

Quote from: designs
0 Timed Bomb Arrows :
0 Fireball arrows :
0 - Anti-magic mines:
0 Crystal Tower Shields:
0 Saboteurs :
0 Permanent conjuration:
0 Pillar of unmagic:

Updated my vote. As I brought plant manipulation to the table a few turns ago, I will definately still support it. I'm not above voting for my own things  :P

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: April 27, 2017, 06:01:03 pm »

Design a ballista. Getting some kind of artillery is good, and our anti-magic arrows give us an avenue to make explosive bolts in the future.

0 Timed Bomb Arrows :
0 Fireball arrows :
0 - Anti-magic mines:
0 Crystal Tower Shields:
0 Saboteurs :
0 Permanent conjuration:
0 Pillar of unmagic:
1 Ballista: Andres

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: April 27, 2017, 06:33:27 pm »

Design: Firecrystal Ballistae
Arstotzkan mages research a way to infuse conjured crystal with the same elemental fire used in our fireballs. The firecrystal is warm to the touch, and will explode in a fireball when dispelled or shattered on contact. It is used to craft the bolts for a newly designed ballista, capable of being ship-mounted and helping us win the seas with a range advantage.

Guys we should totally have done this, now Moskurg beat us to it.

Oh, and +1 to the two designs per person. As it stands we have way too many ideas and some of them seem to overlap quite a bit.

Quote from: Seriously, this thing is too long
2 Obscuring Mists: shameless10ebor10, Azzuro
0 Timed Bomb Arrows :
0 Fireball arrows :
0 - Anti-magic mines:
0 Crystal Tower Shields:
0 Saboteurs :
0 Permanent conjuration:
0 Pillar of unmagic:

Voting for the battlefield-wide Obscuring Mists, as we need it for the upcoming Plains and it may help at Sea. Plus it may help nullify the new Moskurg ballistae.

Oh, and does anyone else think their ballistae have lucky strike imbued into them somehow? Sniping all our mages and commanders would seem to indicate so. Although I can't figure out why they would taper off?

United Forenia Forever!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: April 27, 2017, 06:43:42 pm »

Oh, and +1 to the two designs per person. As it stands we have way too many ideas and some of them seem to overlap quite a bit.

Oh we could just require a vote to get onto the list. I'd rather limit the size of the list than limit the discussion.

Edit: I mean like one vote to get onto the list, not that we hold a vote to put things on the list. That would be crazy.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 06:45:15 pm by Roboson »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: April 27, 2017, 06:45:42 pm »

Oh, and does anyone else think their ballistae have lucky strike imbued into them somehow? Sniping all our mages and commanders would seem to indicate so. Although I can't figure out why they would taper off?
Design flaw, they probably break down frequently, don't expect it to last.
And they must have lucky strike, no way is a catapult going to hit a boat at sea...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: April 27, 2017, 06:46:24 pm »

3 Obscuring Mists:10ebor10, Azzuro, voidlsayer
0 Timed Bomb Arrows :
0 Fireball arrows :
0 - Anti-magic mines:
0 Crystal Tower Shields:
0 Saboteurs :
0 Permanent conjuration:
0 Pillar of unmagic:

Obscuring mists seems the least out there, going for that.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: April 27, 2017, 06:52:10 pm »

We're not going to be able to hold the jungle. After this year the jungle plants will die off due to our excessive freezing and use of fire magic. At that point, its basically going to be the plains all over again.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: April 27, 2017, 07:11:23 pm »

Whoops. I messed up and put Roboson and Stabby in the deploy order instead of plant growth. Roboson fixed it already but I'll move Stabby back to the right spot.
3 Obscuring Mists:10ebor10, Azzuro, voidlsayer
0 Timed Bomb Arrows :
0 Fireball arrows :
0 - Anti-magic mines:
0 Crystal Tower Shields:
0 Saboteurs :
3 Plant-growth: Chiefwaffles, Roboson, Stabby
0 Permanent conjuration:
0 Pillar of unmagic:

Also obscuring mist still means the jungles turn into plains next batte report, giving the moskurgians a huge advantage.

And what stops Moskurg from just revising their wind spell to make obscuring mists irrelevant again? We want to branch out into things they don't have counters to yet.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 301