Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 377050 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #690 on: April 20, 2017, 12:22:06 am »

I've written out the combat report to explain how equipment is affecting the battle and why things play out the way they do.  This should give you a better understanding of how your designs are being used and how they're working against the enemy's.  I've also included a section detailing the theatre commanders wishlist - what he would like to see developed or fixed.  Take it with a grain of salt; it's simply the point of view from the boots on the ground.  I also tweaked the equipment and spell list to look nicer.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: April 20, 2017, 12:30:05 am »

It is very, VERY nice to understand what is going on and why.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: April 20, 2017, 12:38:54 am »

Looks like they've abandoned chivalry, so at least they won't have that moral bonus.

I propose for this phase we invest in Animal Control. We've already have a good basis with wasps, if we can expand this to get some level of greater control, we can use it to plague the enemy with all sorts of things. Especially if we get it good enough to control their horses. They took our crystal weapons, we'll take their horses.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: April 20, 2017, 01:05:33 am »

Looks like they've abandoned chivalry, so at least they won't have that moral bonus.

I propose for this phase we invest in Animal Control. We've already have a good basis with wasps, if we can expand this to get some level of greater control, we can use it to plague the enemy with all sorts of things. Especially if we get it good enough to control their horses. They took our crystal weapons, we'll take their horses.

Much better idea. I also think we should find something to null their lightning.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: April 20, 2017, 01:11:46 am »

I've written out the combat report to explain how equipment is affecting the battle and why things play out the way they do.  This should give you a better understanding of how your designs are being used and how they're working against the enemy's.  I've also included a section detailing the theatre commanders wishlist - what he would like to see developed or fixed.  Take it with a grain of salt; it's simply the point of view from the boots on the ground.  I also tweaked the equipment and spell list to look nicer.

One question :

He also points out that we've never had a skirmish we can point to as a "complete success" and the lack thereof is hurting our chances of pushing Moskurg from the jungle

What is stopping us from having succesfull skirmishes. We have

+ Skirmish bonus
+ Magic Fog
+Terrain bonus
+ magic detecting crystal
+ longbows
+ more apprentices to cast spells

While the Moskurgians have :

- Detect ambush  cancelled by anti-magic
-Detect thoughts cancelled by anti magic
+Compound bows

Also, a note to others. Unlike Moskurg, we will not have the benefit of a broken game system that prevents the opponent from advancing while we assemble our forces. We need to make something that us usefull now.

Advanced Tower of Forever Frost : Through tge use of more permanent spells, our tower can be far stronger and oprrate with far less attending wizards.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:20:23 am by 10ebbor10 »

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: April 20, 2017, 06:45:49 am »

Remember they are literly entirely light infantry and calvary and our heavy Calvary just loss their weapons.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: April 20, 2017, 07:33:49 am »

The Moskurgers also have that Lucky Strike spell from the starting spellbook as well. Not sure if the anti-magic works on it, but since it's short-range I assume it turns a 100% shot to a 98% one or something like that as it can't affect the flight of the arrow directly.

Also, evictedSaint, did the Moskurgs switch to Terror?

Gotta say, their ability to dispel conjured crystals pretty much makes a huge chunk of our research useless. Unless we can find a way to use the crystal without bringing it near the enemy...

Design: Firecrystal Ballistae
Arstotzkan mages research a way to infuse conjured crystal with the same elemental fire used in our fireballs. The firecrystal is warm to the touch, and will explode in a fireball when dispelled or shattered on contact. It is used to craft the bolts for a newly designed ballista, capable of being ship-mounted and helping us win the seas with a range advantage.

Animal Control: 0
Advanced Tower of Forever Frost: 1, Azzuro
Firecrystal Ballistae: 0

United Forenia Forever!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: April 20, 2017, 07:56:49 am »

Also, evictedSaint, did the Moskurgs switch to Terror?
Yes

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: April 20, 2017, 09:20:32 am »

Hm. So much for my Petrify idea.

Cat Eyes: We can splice the eyes of a housecat with the eyes of our troops to make them look scarier(and give them better night vision).
Probably not the wonder weapon we're looking for, though.

Actually, y'know what? I'll think Tyrant may be on to something with his underwater troops.

Dolphin Splicing: We can splice the body of a dolphin with our naval troops to make them essentially dolphin-men. We'll probably get less volunteers for this procedure than Cat Eyes, but it'll be worth it: our Dolphins can move with great speed through the water, far quicker than a ship or a whale, and can easily board and surprise-attack our foes. Sensing spells? No problem, we have anti-magic amulets!

Actually, anti-magic amulets means we can try Catgirl Assassins again, though I don't think it's the best choice right now.

Catgirl Assassins: Using the splicing magic we developed earlier for fire wasps, our mages have figured out how to splice the housecat with a human, giving them cat-like traits like cat ears on the top of their head, a tail, claws, and yellow eyes. Our men don't seem very interested in receiving this treatment. Maybe if it actually made them stronger or tougher. Our women, on the other hand... a small minority of women in Arstotzka have been wishing to fight for years, and are more than willing to receive this treatment if it means they can fight. And it does. This treatment, though unfortunately it induces some mental... changes... improves dexterity, senses, and stealth, creating the perfect assassin. Our Catgirl Assassins, when sent out at night, will be perfect for assassinating enemy mages and leaders.

This idea may be a bit better.

Anti-Weather Balloons: Our mages have figured out how to derive "helium", which has the curious property of being lighter than air. This lets us send balloons up to the clouds... where we can mess with them using the moisture-sapping fog spell we will invent in the revision phase.

But best of all...

Hail Tower: Our Tower of Forever Frost has greatly amplified power now. Part of it directed upwards in a wide area... turning rain to hail. What will a hailstone do against plate mail? What will a hailstone do to an unarmored skull?

Advanced Tower of Forever Frost: 1, Azzuro
Whale Troops: 1, FallacyofUrist
Cat Eyes: 0
Dolphin Splicing: 0
Catgirl Assassins: 0
Anti-Weather Balloons: 0
Hail Tower: 0
For the moment, I'll support Whale Troops, though, since it's closest to what I would desire.

In the revision phase, we should probably do something about that dispelling of our crystal, though.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 09:26:56 am by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: April 20, 2017, 04:38:55 pm »

I will roll the design for Whale Troopers, unless someone wants to break the tie one way or another.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: April 20, 2017, 04:52:19 pm »

I vote for Advanced Tower of Forever Frost

Now is not the time for untested, useless spells.

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: April 20, 2017, 05:13:19 pm »

I would vote for Firecrystal Ballistae but since that isn't going to win Advanced Tower of Forever Frost it is.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: April 20, 2017, 06:14:17 pm »

so it's
Advanced Tower of Forever Frost: 1, Azzuro, LightForger, 10ebbor10, Stabby,
Whale Troops: 1, FallacyofUrist
Cat Eyes: 0
Dolphin Splicing: 0
Catgirl Assassins: 0
Anti-Weather Balloons: 0
Hail Tower: 0
correct me if i'm wrong please.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: April 20, 2017, 11:24:36 pm »

Design: Advanced Tower of Forever Frost [4, 1, 5]

It's relatively dangerous working on the Tower of Frost.  Developing this technology in the north runs the risk of plunging the entire country into a new iceage, and our hold on the warm jungles to the west is tenuous at best.  Even so, we manage to develop some changes through Mathemagics that can amplify the towers effects.

The tower brings the temperature of a theatre down even further by adjusting the spell circles inscribed on the top to work in-phase with one another.  The angles between the circles were close, but through some careful adjustment (using yet another brand-new field of mathematics our researchers refer to as "Trigonometry" - again utterly useless outside of magical applications, much like calculus) we've streamlined the design.  A nice by-product is that the spell will no longer "cook-off" if the circles are disrupted, instead automatically shutting off the magical energy being drawn into the world.  We can also adjust the temperature change through use of a magical dial - our mages refer to this as the "Automagical Control", or "AC" for short.

The tower is still expensive, however, and utterly immobile once built.  We've yet to test it in the jungle, but our men are hopeful to see snow once more.  National Effort.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: April 20, 2017, 11:41:02 pm »

Revision: cheaper broadswords. Until we can figure out our crystal situation, let's get a decent weapon in the hands of our soldiers.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 301