Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 376953 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #300 on: March 30, 2017, 02:07:33 pm »

Channeled fog - 1
Forever and ever frost - 1
Quick firewall - 1

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 30, 2017, 02:24:26 pm »

Fireball Repeater (revision, not new spell): Concentrates extra heat from the surroundings to make an extra fireball, albeit weaker. The small ball can be held on to (not literally) to make consecutive fireballs easier to cast.

Crystal Shrapnel Ball: A roughly spherical lump of crystal that bursts into many shards upon contact, leaving dangerously sharp shards within ground and newly deal bodies alike. Caution will be needed in crossing the shard-covered land, as to avoid cutting up your feet and risk bleed out and infections, allowing it to be used defensively even when no enemies are in sight.

Wasp Cloud: Summons/enchants wasps so that they can gather and act together as one mass, like a hive mind, or some sort of wasp golem. May need to be repeated to sustain swarm/add to its numbers, but it could a heavy, regenerating hitter on the front lines.

Summon Wool: summons a short pillow-sized bundle of wool. Can be used to provide comfort to our troops, raising morale, even from the back lines. Can branch out into a spell along the lines of Electric Ball, a ball of wool infused with static electricity, causing stunning on contact and possibly attracting the lightning they're aiming at us.

And, since we've got a good hold of Conjuration...

Research Banishment: Could be useful in several ways; We banish large components of their spells, such as the storms via Banish Storm, their mounted troops with Banish Horse, and so on. Perhaps we could banish the air around them, or maybe banish a ship. Bonus points if we later make a Conjure the Banished spell to turn their force against themselves.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 30, 2017, 02:51:19 pm »

The fireball repeater could work, I suppose. perhaps even the crystal ball, although would have to be cheap to cover much land.

I am entirely unconvinced about the rest of the proposals however.
Are you voting for anything?

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 30, 2017, 02:53:13 pm »

...I'll say....+1 Fog
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 30, 2017, 03:04:16 pm »

...I'll say....+1 Fog

+1 to new fog spell, we need something simple for our apprentices to actually do.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 30, 2017, 03:12:44 pm »

Channeled fog - 3
Forever and ever frost - 1
Quick firewall - 1

Counter updated, for GM's sake

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 30, 2017, 07:23:22 pm »

+1 to Channeled Fog.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 30, 2017, 07:26:50 pm »

Can we aim for "Wind-proof fog" instead? If their wind is continuous, we won't have gained anything by blowing out a continuous steam that's continously blown away.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 30, 2017, 11:49:35 pm »

Channelled fog is wind proof fog IIRC. It's anchored just like the wall of fire.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 31, 2017, 09:31:45 am »

Revision: Channeled Fog [5]

Rather than just casting a cloud of mist and moving it about at will, our Mages have learned how to continuously conjure the fog.  This means the cloud will grow larger and larger the longer they stand still, and moving will leave a trail of fog.  This leaves more ambiguity as to how many men are hidden in the mist, and natural wind can't dispell the fog quickly enough to leave the men uncovered.  Only time will tell if the Moskurg's control of the weather will be enough to dispell our cover.

Combat Phase Later Tonight

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 01, 2017, 12:33:31 am »

Having had time to settle into the mountains, defense of the gray peaks has become a rather familiar task for the troops stationed there.  Our control of the mists, already the most trivial of spells for our mages, has grown.  With our apprentices trained in a more formal setting, the spell sees some use in melee rather than being restricted to skirmishes.  The peaks are utterly obscured in clouds, and Moskurg troops are picked off one-by-one as arrows cascade through the cover.  They hide behind boulders and trees as they approach, but ultimately the cowards are forced to turn and flee back to their deserts.  Their horses, at home in the desert sands, can't find purchase on the rocky terrain.  Even their storms seem more inclined to strike the lofty peaks than they are to bite at our troops.  We manage to capture a few of them as they flee, but the battle is short and uninspiring.  We will hold the mountains another year, and likely for many years to come so long as the Moskurgs fail to gain a foothold.

Arstotzka easily maintains control of the Mountains.

The plains...however. 

The plains are a different story.

Calvary, the heavy artillery of the medieval era, were once limited to minor nobles and knights.  Restricted to critical battles and the relatively less-risky skirmishes that preceded them, most combats have consisted of boots on the ground slugging it out.  This does not seem to be the case for Moskurg, however; their horses, seemingly only fit for travel and not combat, are...everywhere.  Though lightly armored, entire divisions of the troops have crashed into our battle lines over and over again, snapping their shoddily made lances and lashing out with sword and spear.  We fail to win a single battle here, let alone gain a territory.  Those who aren't run down quickly surrender, and once relieved of their armor and weapons are immediately returned to us.  Our own cavalry are much stronger than any Moskurg horseman, but even they can't win against a seething ocean of these overgrown rats.  Fireballs blast holes in their ranks, but they're filled as soon as they appear.  Horses leap through walls of flames, and though a few tumble from their saddles wreathed in fire the rest charge through our ranks like demons.  If we do not do something to counter these new horsemen, we may very well see their hoof prints on Arstotzkan home soil.

Moskurg has maintained control of the plains.

The oceans are locked in stalemate, as usual.  Though we turn the cowardly Moskurgs away more often than not, we can't press our advantage.  Their ships flee too quickly, remaining frustratingly out of range.  Both sides have some minor success, but no progress is made one way or anther.

The Seas remain deadlocked.

It is 917, the Design Phase.

Spoiler: State of Forenia, 916 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Arstotzkan Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Arstotzkan Elite Units (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Arstotzkan Spells (click to show/hide)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 01, 2017, 01:16:47 am »

Oh bugger.

Any idea why we're losing in the Jungle?

We deployed a Tower of Frost and an improved mist spell, both of which should be very effective. Moskurg however deployed cavaly, which by all reasonable assumptions should not be effective.

Is their a spell we're missing, or something like that?

Anyway :

Razorsilk Webs :A combination of our webbing and crystal spell. Razorsilk is made from the classical magical webbing, but modified to carry tiny litlle hooks along it's length, and larger sharpened spearpoints within itself. Any cavalry unit thinking to charge through it will stumble and fall, and even infantry will have trouble too pass.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 01:25:18 am by 10ebbor10 »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 01, 2017, 02:52:42 am »

We should be able to revise the lances into anti-cavalry spears, hopefully in the form of a simpler spell or summoning more spears or with a longer duration. Whatever gets more volume...

We need to hold the jungle... What goes well in a jungle...

Combine summoning magic with crystal magic:
Crystal spiders:
 A crystal construct imbued with the spirit of a spider. Standing about Knee-height to an average soldier, it uses its spear-legs to crawl across terrain and cling to most anything as soft as wood or thin enough to pierce. Using the spider's natural instinct to leap upon its prey and sting it grabs horse, soldier, or anything else not aligned with its summoner and injects the victim with raw flame from its glowing abdomen, before drawing back and seeking a new target.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 01, 2017, 11:33:12 am »

+1 to the Razorsilk Webs since that should stop them from advancing in the plains and jungle.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 01, 2017, 11:45:36 am »

Any idea why we're losing in the Jungle?

We deployed a Tower of Frost and an improved mist spell, both of which should be very effective. Moskurg however deployed cavaly, which by all reasonable assumptions should not be effective.

Only one National Effort may be deployed at a time.  You made an Order to construct the Tower of Frost in the jungle, meaning your Wand of Fireballs couldn't be used by your hero (though lesser fireballs were still in effect).  Your tower was made to counter their control of weather magic, but they've put multiple revisions into their control of the weather while you've put none into your tower.  The same way their development of wind magic doesn't automatically counter your fireballs (even after a couple revisions) your tower won't absolutely counter all their weather control immediately after the initial design.  Your apprentices can now use Cheap spells in Melee combat, but you have mostly Expensive and Very Expensive spells.  The jungle applies penalties to mounted units, but that's overwhelmed by their sheer numbers.

I spent a long time trying to make sure the update was correct and balanced, but considering I'm taking over for Iituem (who himself admitted to making a mistake) I could very well error - especially since I had to teach myself his combat engine.

But if something seems unfair or doesn't make sense, please speak up!!!  I do not want to be accused of favoritism : (
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 301