Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 377063 times)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #510 on: April 09, 2017, 11:46:54 am »

sounds good, should we just use that as the Actually Functional anti magic charms?
Dragon's Head: 0
Wand of Minor Fireball: 0
Crystal Corsair: 1
Helbirds: 0
Summoned Shelter: 0
Crystal Formation: 0
Tall Targets: 0
Mage Control Collar: 1
Actually Functional anti magic charms : 2
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 09, 2017, 03:29:23 pm »

I suppose we can

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 09, 2017, 03:40:30 pm »

How about instead of generating heat the charm summons wasps to get rid of excess energy?

Imagine an entire industrial world based on this: Oh no my car is spitting out wasps better turn it off and get a tow truck.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 09, 2017, 04:37:49 pm »

Anti magic charms sounds good to me. Hope they work.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 09, 2017, 05:14:04 pm »

How about instead of generating heat the charm summons wasps to get rid of excess energy?

Imagine an entire industrial world based on this: Oh no my car is spitting out wasps better turn it off and get a tow truck.
Found the revision. Cause that is a freaking beuatiful idea.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 09, 2017, 06:12:15 pm »

I think we're thinking about this the wrong way. Our biggest problem is stated to be that we don't kill/rout enough of our enemies, not that we're suffering too much from their spells. So how do we kill/rout more enemies? The answer is something we already have: Fireball. It's noted for its high lethality and morale effects, but it's too expensive to be of much use. The answer is to make more common an effective thing we have, rather than make an entirely new thing.

Making Fireball cheaper will also improve our performance in the sea for obvious reasons. Anti-magic charms, even if successful, will not.

Make Fireball cheaper.

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 06:18:37 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 09, 2017, 06:16:22 pm »

Ah, and here I was, thinking no one actually reads the reports

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 09, 2017, 06:26:16 pm »

I think we're thinking about this the wrong way. Our biggest problem is stated to be that we don't kill/rout enough of our enemies, not that we're suffering too much from their spells. So how do we kill/rout more enemies? The answer is something we already have: Fireball. It's noted for its high lethality and morale effects, but it's too expensive to be of much use. The answer is to make more common an effective thing we have, rather than make an entirely new thing.

Making Fireball cheaper will also improve our performance in the sea for obvious reasons. Anti-magic charms, even if successful, will not.

Make Fireball cheaper.

Glory to Arstotzka.

+1, maybe also work on the waste heat moral problem at the same time?

I wanted to make plentiful mini-fireball wands but this works.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 09, 2017, 06:45:39 pm »

maybe also work on the waste heat moral problem at the same time?
That's probably better left to a Revision. Getting the Fireball as it is to be be a lot cheaper than it is now without sacrificing any of its positive qualities is something we should keep focus on with the Design.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 10, 2017, 08:41:02 am »

Right now it's tied between fireballs and antimagic charms.  Would someone tiebreak, please.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 10, 2017, 08:48:58 am »

I'll change my vote to cheaper Fireball spells.

United Forenia Forever!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 10, 2017, 09:13:31 am »

Design: Streamlined Fireball [6!-1, 3+1, 6!]

With our apprentices now recieving proper training, we have a renewed push to equip them with offensive spells.  The backbone of Arstotzkan wizardry is pyromancy, so we've developed a cheaper, easier version of our fireball spell we can teach.

The results are very, very satisfying.

The new fireball spell is just a reworked version of our Minor Fireball spell, stripped down the the basics so our apprentices can use it with their limited training.  Notably, Minor Fireball was itself a stripped down version of our regular Fireball spell, and upon revisiting the spellwork our mages have noticed that a number of the incantations and spellweaving for the Minor Fireball is in fact redundant.  By streamlining the spell, it's now simple enough that our apprentices can use it with similar effect.

The only downside is our apprentices aren't quite as skilled as our mages, so their accuracy suffers to a degree.  It's barely an issue though, since Moskurgs tend to march in formation and all we have to do is aim for the center. Normal Cost

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 10, 2017, 09:44:32 am »

Revision : Functional anti-magical charm

Yes, I know I keep repeating the same thing, but it's needed and it will be effective. Moskurg's magic relies on targetting a few of our forces. Sleep spell on a few guards, mindreading a few commanders, that kind of thing. Even a very expensive charm will work well because Moskurg almost never targets the common rabble. Just the guards (and we only need to apply the charm to one guard, because it'll alarm him when they try to cast the sleep spell) and the commanders.

It's funny how this in stark contrast to our own magic, which relies on big, spectacular outbursts of power.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 09:48:12 am by 10ebbor10 »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 10, 2017, 09:53:39 am »

Heat Shield: Firstly, the amount of heat the anti-magic gems can hold is increased. Secondly, when they heat up, they get brittle. When an anti-magic charm in a hot state is broken, it creates a barrier of fire around where it broke. Imagine the look on Moskurgians' faces when they charge one of our commanders and he deploys a fiery shield!

Metal Shields: This should be a no-brainer.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 10, 2017, 10:01:45 am »

Voting for the Anti-magic charms.
Revisions Phase:
Actually Functional Anti-Magic Charms: 1
Heat Shields: 0
Metal Shields: 0

Please quote this and add in your votes and revisions, to make it easier for the GM.

Also, Mosskerg magic does have big, spectacular outbursts of power. Remember the rainstorms and lightning bolts? I don't think our charms will help against that unless we roll a 6, but we still need to counter that sleep spell before they start sending entire armies off to dreamlands.

And Urist, I don't think we should be getting too ambitious in the revisions phase. It isn't stated that Musberg troops are physically attacking our commanders after casting the sleep spell, which works at a distance anyway. And there aren't that many charms, so it won't do much to tilt the physical battlefield. I think the charms should just stay as magical defence, not physical defence for now.

And I think we already have metal shields. If we have enough metal to outfit one-third of our armies with full plate armour, we've surely been making metal shields for everyone already.

United Forenia Forever!
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 301