Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 377010 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1545 on: April 30, 2017, 04:08:26 pm »

crystal canopy is indeed useless beyond long range, since it will be dispelled. If you want to do something like that, a mundane material would be best I feel.

However, it will be important to refine the cannon while we have the artillery advantage. If we use a design and a revision on it now, we can make it shoot more, farther, more accurately. if we branch off to new stuff, dice know where that will bring us.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: April 30, 2017, 04:08:54 pm »

Let's keep revisions to revisions, Andrea.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: April 30, 2017, 04:15:20 pm »

the point is, cannon mk2 increases our knowledge and firepower greatly. range can be fixed in a revision ( and while we are not voting, I think it is fair to consider that we do indeed have revisions.)
Plus, it introduces some useful concepts like steam recycling ( that would fix our problems with salt in steam engines) and and barrel cooling ( that is actually an important step to more mobile guns. In fact, it opens the field for handguns, rifles.).

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: April 30, 2017, 04:19:25 pm »

0 - Disrupting Mist:
1 - Crystal Canopy: VoidSlayer
0 - Tuneable Antimagic Charm
1 - Lucky Charms: Andres
1 - Anchored Crystal Plates: Chiefwaffles
1 - Anti-antimagic Arrow: Roboson
1 - Anchored Crystal Weapons: Light Forger
4 - Rifled Barrels: 10ebbor10, Stabby, Roboson, Tyrant
2 - Mk2 Steam cannon: Andrea, Azzuro
0 - Crystal Plates

We match their range. Just need to hit. Turtle Ship design and plant magic can wait. Limited net window.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: April 30, 2017, 04:23:11 pm »

And we don't need those things.
We need to be able to eliminate their ballista and more important forces. Better accuracy and better range, which are both revisions that we can do with our 2 revisions this time around, accomplish that fine. Reliability is a small problem at this point dwarfed by many other issues and rate of fire is already an advantage of the current cannon.

RE: Rifled Barrels.
Why would we spend a design slot on something that's literally just a revision? I'm seriously confused with the logic here. Accuracy and range are both things that can be done in revisions.

Current vote counts: (I forgot to include Roboson in Rifled Barrels and Tyrant incorrectly added Stabby to Rifled Barrels)
Designs
0 - Disrupting Mist:
3 - Crystal Canopy: VoidSlayer, Chiefwaffles, Stabby
3 - Rifled Barrels: 10ebbor10, Roboson, Tyrant
2 - Mk2 Steam cannon: Andrea, Azzuro
0 - Crystal Plates
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: April 30, 2017, 04:24:35 pm »

Yeah I don't get using a design on one revision

Edited out vote table I out up
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: April 30, 2017, 04:28:07 pm »

In fairness, Roboson did vote for Rifled Barrels ~2 pages ago. I forgot to count him there when I added my vote for Crystal Canopy.

Also Roboson: My problem with the magic disruption arrow is that it's anti-anti-magic in the wrong place. We want to keep ourselves free from their anti-magic, and it seems a bit convoluted if we were to shoot/place the arrows near ourselves. I think that an anti-antimagic charm next design phase or some other time soon could work, then we could extend to other things if desired.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: April 30, 2017, 04:33:28 pm »

I'll be back in ten minutes.  If the tie isn't broken by then I'll flip a coin and go with that.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: April 30, 2017, 04:34:13 pm »

Quick men. Create a 3 way tie.

Designs
0 - Disrupting Mist:
3 - Crystal Canopy: VoidSlayer, Chiefwaffles, Stabby
3 - Rifled Barrels:  Roboson, Tyrant
3 - Mk2 Steam cannon: Andrea, Azzuro, 10ebbor10,
0 - Crystal Plates

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: April 30, 2017, 04:34:46 pm »

Clearly we must find a way to utilize our natural ability to create ties on the battlefield.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: April 30, 2017, 04:34:58 pm »

In fairness, Roboson did vote for Rifled Barrels ~2 pages ago. I forgot to count him there when I added my vote for Crystal Canopy.

Also Roboson: My problem with the magic disruption arrow is that it's anti-anti-magic in the wrong place. We want to keep ourselves free from their anti-magic, and it seems a bit convoluted if we were to shoot/place the arrows near ourselves. I think that an anti-antimagic charm next design phase or some other time soon could work, then we could extend to other things if desired.

I did change my vote yes. Guess I forgot to take it off the anti-anti magic.

Honestly the same principle could be used to disrupt any sort of magic. Its simple mathemagical application.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: April 30, 2017, 04:35:44 pm »

Clearly we must find a way to utilize our natural ability to create ties on the battlefield.

We will have the most dapper soldiers on the battlefield.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: April 30, 2017, 04:37:31 pm »

Design: Create Indecision
By leveraging our natural abilities and talents in this field, a mage can cast a spell on an enemy squad that causes them to stop in their tracks and bicker until they meet their unexpected deaths from a cannon ball. The enemy squad will be so engrossed in their arguing that they won't notice anything around them, including artillery fire or our squads walking past them.
Expensive.

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: April 30, 2017, 04:38:22 pm »

Just going through the list and nitpicking

Crystal Canopy: Two large problems utter immobile and can be dispelled. Not to mention if they get super lucky they can still possible hit whoever is in inside it(it has windows after all).
Lucky Charms: New school of magic and is going to have large problems doing enough. Not only does it try to copy their lucky strike it also adds on another effect.
Anit-anti-magic Arrows: I'm not a hundred percent sure that this would counter their anti-magic(after all it can enter our own anti-magic field).
Anchored Crystal Plates: Anchored crystal magic is probably going to be somewhat difficult and this would be our largest crystal construct to date.
Rifled Barrel: Can be done in an revision.
Mk2 Steam Cannon: It would correct most of the problem we are having with the cannon but, the cannon works great for a first try and we are having problems in other fields. Not to mention it's still weak to any anti-magic fields.

My number one worry is that they will make a larger anti-magic field which would break our cannons but, leave their mundane weapons alone getting someway to counter that before it happens and we lose another section or two on the map. For our two revisions we can get rifling plus conical/better made rounds which would fix almost all the problems with our new cannon. Later we can just move over our anchored crystals into a new cannon and have it hopefully be anti-magic proof.

If all else fails and Anchored Crystal Weapons loses, move me over to Crystal Canopy it's better then rifled at least.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: April 30, 2017, 04:41:43 pm »

We could just go for anchored/undispellable crystals in general. That would allow us to get our lances and axes back as well as invest in safe crystal tech later.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 301