Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 375654 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #2745 on: May 31, 2017, 12:04:39 am »

Expense Credit: Cheaper Minor Towers of Frost

We set up a quarry that engraves runes into stone blocks before they're shipped to the front lines, making them easier to enchant once they arrive.  This ends up decreasing the cost of the towers to merely Expensive.  We notice that though we can now set up more towers, the cold effect isn't as pronounced as it'd been last time.  We can instill Taiga-temperatures in the jungle year-round now, but the desert is still rather temperate during the day.  It will still drop below freezing at night, but it seems we're reaching diminishing returns with our towers.  With work, we could maybe drop the temperature even more, but we likely won't be able to do much more than that without Disastrous Repercussions™.

Expensive.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: May 31, 2017, 01:50:08 am »

Design:  Disastrous Repercussions™

This version of the tower of frost is designed to permanently and irrevocably change the weather of Forenia slowly but surely into an unending ice age.  It has towers specifically set up in our territory that will alter the weather patterns until every area is a frozen hellscape in which no living thing can survive.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: May 31, 2017, 01:57:53 am »

Disappointing.
I kind of wish we could have known that before we used the expense credit.

Evicted, we do get more protection against Moskurg taking down towers though, right?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: May 31, 2017, 02:02:04 am »

Yes.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: May 31, 2017, 02:02:45 am »

Disappointing.

Evicted, we do get more protection against Moskurg taking down towers though, right?

What are you talking about?  We got confirmation we can probably irreversibly destroy the entire ecosystem of the land.  Now operation doom the world and be the last survivors can go forward!

We just need those underground dwellings and crystal bio dome farms and we are all set to destroy the world.

I mean...

Uh...

That was the plan right?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: May 31, 2017, 02:07:08 am »

I was going to post that Es reply seemed encouraging about the expense of magic gems, but I see it was already decided to use on frost towers.
oh, well. Next time.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: May 31, 2017, 03:25:13 am »

I believe that it should be possible to dramatically increase the air cycling of the front towers by implementing convection into the game's physics engine making the frost area pillar-shaped to effect convection-derived air-flow. This would also play merry havok with wind and weather-based effects because their mages will be fighting against thousands of tonnes of cold air that suddenly feels as though a trip to somewhere warm, like the desert, is just the thing. It would dramatically buff their anti-cold spell except it would deflect it into the upper atmosphere, freeze it, and then send it right back to replace all the warm air that they were trhowing at us... I mean, really, we have thhe ability to rapidly chill millions of tonnes of atmosphere simultaneously, that is freakishly terrifying...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: May 31, 2017, 08:17:03 am »

With work, we could maybe drop the temperature even more, but we likely won't be able to do much more than that without Disastrous Repercussions™.
((Is this a hint saying that you won't allow any more research into this area for balance issues?))

Disappointing.
How is it disappointing? It gets the Jungle - a place with a temperature grade only step lower than Desert - and made it go down to the lowest temperature possible before we start to die and past the point where they start to die. In the Desert, we entirely removed the temperature penalty on our end (very useful for advancing further into their territory) and Moskurg now gets a penalty during night attacks.

Unless I'm mistaken, we also have the capability to drop the temperature to sub-Taiga in the Taiga, Mountains, and Plains, which gives us a really strong defence in those areas. Moskurg can't advance in temperatures that cold.

It's a good result.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: May 31, 2017, 09:24:53 am »

(I'm just gonna jump into this game here)
Alright, I think these frost towers have a lot of potential, but revising them to have a broader effect is the wrong way to go about it. For one, I think we would run into the problem of diminishing returns, but it would also be easy for them to counter if it became a problem for them.

It will still drop below freezing at night, but it seems we're reaching diminishing returns with our towers.   

called it
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: May 31, 2017, 03:21:11 pm »

Ugh.  I need compile a list of links to every design, revision, and expense credit that has to do with crystals, along with the die rolls for each.

If someone else does that for me, I'll make them a character in the next update. >.>

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - Design Phase 911 [Arstotzka]
« Reply #2755 on: May 31, 2017, 03:31:06 pm »

Where we discovered crystal. I'll edit or post more soon later.

Magic Lance: [1, 3, 6]  You already have experience conjuring simple elemental forms and substances, so this provides a basis for your work on conjuring 'magic lances' to assist your men.  Following the description of your intended spell, you and your fellow mages spend several months working on how to conjure a solid, strong material able to form the basis for lances to improve your cavalry charge.  Eventually you devise a complex, draining spell that summons a lance of shimmering crystal that will last for about an hour before dissipating into the aether.  The crystal is strong, hard and has surprising tensile strength, and focuses into a deadly point at its business end.  It is on par with a lance made of steel, but substantially lighter.

The only problem is that you currently are unable to summon any lance wider than one quarter of an inch in diameter.  In its current form it has little practical use in a mounted charge, as even with its strength it will still snap on impact with such a slender cross-section, although some other use could be conceivable.

It is now the Revision Phase.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: May 31, 2017, 03:35:35 pm »

Thanks Waffles.  Give me a name and a description of your self insert and I'll include him in the write up tonight.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: May 31, 2017, 03:36:25 pm »

Ugh.  I need compile a list of links to every design, revision, and expense credit that has to do with crystals, along with the die rolls for each.

If someone else does that for me, I'll make them a character in the next update. >.>

IIRC, I may have a list of everything lying around. I'll have to look, it was in an unssaved doc, so it may not have autosaved.

Edit : No luck.

Well, I'll go backward, Chiefwaffles can go forward and keep whatever reward he wants.

I have everything more recent than 2 may.

Spoiler: Tangential (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Crystal (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 04:03:07 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: May 31, 2017, 03:56:49 pm »

Revisions
SO2-AM Equalizer [4] (Antimagic Crystal Shell)
Crystal-Nickel Circuits [5] (What it says on the Tin)
Crystal Circuitry [1] (Again, name says it all)
Steam-Powered Barrel Boring [2] (Barrel Boring using a specialized crystal bit)
Mathemagics [3] (The precursor revision to anti-magic crystals, and this, really, to mage gems)
Anti Magic Charm [2] (The dark days of actual gem based magic)
Crystal Permanence [2] (What it says on the tin, take three)
Crystal Magic Template [6!] (Or: How to reliably make suitably pointy things)
Magic Lances:  [6] (Improved stiffies for crystal lances)
Magic Javelins: [Disadvantage: 1+1] (Legitimately unsure. Triple revision wonkiness going on, but shitty crystal throwing spears!)

Designs
AS-SPB2-Crystalclad [3, 5, 3] (Crystal Ship)
Crystalworks [6, 5-2, 4] (The titular crystalworks)
Magegems [5, 5, 5] (Schmancy energy storing crystals)
Antimagic Bombs [6, 4, 5] (Crystal antimagic bombs)
Crystal Long Axes [3+1, 4+1, 3] (I'm a Crystal Lumberjack [And I'm OK])
Crystal Caltrops: [3-1, 4+1, 6] (Ow.)
Arzotskan Academy for Adequate Apprenticeship: [5-1, 4-2, 6-2] (Magical academy that explicitly states common training of crystal shaping techniques)
Magic Lance: [1, 3, 6] (If your crystal spear persists for more than an hour, our mages did a fantastic job)

Reengaging Lurker Protocol... ((Also, give it to Waffles. I'm just watching with popcorn))
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 04:02:34 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: May 31, 2017, 04:00:33 pm »

I'll edit this one if there's any more stuff and people still haven't posted.

Magic Lances:  [6]  With just a little work you manage to solve the thickening problem, creating usable, light lances with the tensile strength of steel for your chargers.  This will significantly increase your capability in melee.  As a side-effect of Jibril Saadiya's experimentation with conjuring different materials you feel confident that you can now conjure, at least temporarily, pure forms of most simple materials in configurable shapes (currently based around cylinders or rods of varying thickness and length).
This is a revision of magic lances that also coincidentally gives us some minor crystal abilities.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 301