Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 376943 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - 916 [Arstotzka]
« Reply #240 on: March 27, 2017, 10:45:32 am »

Two revisions? Did we earn a credit? We did. Good for us.

Make lances more durable... and make Forever Frost into a superweapon: all the absorbed heat is focused into a beam which can be directed at enemy troops.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 27, 2017, 11:26:13 am »

Modifying such a powerful spell as the forever frost to such powerful effect would require a design, I feel.
The only revision I could see to the spell is having it require less wizards so as to not have an attack malus.
But that is not a priority, fireballs and conjuration improvement(lances) seem a good idea.

Their wind control is quite annoying, next turn we might want to devise a direct counter.

By the way, reporting for duty as part of the design team! Long live arstotzka!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 27, 2017, 04:46:22 pm »

Welcome aboard! Swiftly Die MossKeg!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 27, 2017, 06:49:55 pm »

Magic Lances:  [6]  With just a little work you manage to solve the thickening problem, creating usable, light lances with the tensile strength of steel for your chargers.  This will significantly increase your capability in melee.  As a side-effect of Jibril Saadiya's experimentation with conjuring different materials you feel confident that you can now conjure, at least temporarily, pure forms of most simple materials in configurable shapes (currently based around cylinders or rods of varying thickness and length).

Fireball:  [3]  You work on stripping down the complexity of the fireball ritual, enough that whilst it is still complex, stationary and needs a skilled wizard to pull off, it can now be cast by wizards other than Myark.  Unfortunately the heat expulsion problems haven't quite been fixed, so it still causes injury to surrounding troops.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 27, 2017, 07:04:55 pm »

The downside is that the surrounding troops are extremely valuable elite bodyguards.
The upside is that elite bodyguards have excellent reactions.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 27, 2017, 07:17:59 pm »

I thought our body-guards were only around our thanes.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 27, 2017, 08:13:30 pm »

I guess that might technically be true. Our master wizards are, afterall, not known for their political acumen...
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 27, 2017, 09:34:54 pm »

Instead of fixing the problem with the fireball spell we could make a simple spell apprentices can cast to make our troops less vulnerable to heat.  Master wizards cast fireball while apprentices shield the troops.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 27, 2017, 09:45:17 pm »

How about this?

Thermal Guard: Somewhat slowly wards major differences in temperature across the area by spreading heat evenly over a period of time and warming/cooling the area to reach a moderate temperature.

It would be slow enough to not undo our fireballs, but it could provide heat and cold protection to our troops, the former being particularly useful when attacking their desert home. Plus, temperature differences between clouds and clear skies may be enough to weaken any weathery spells they have.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 27, 2017, 11:34:37 pm »

that actually works out really well, and honestly how close are our troops standing to the guy that shoots out fireballs after the first couple of times.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 28, 2017, 01:21:05 am »

We are getting quite good at conjuring stuff.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 28, 2017, 01:30:38 am »

Yes, I do rather like the summon brick thing, but it doesn't stack well with firewall. I mean, sure, fire to keep the melee at bay and battlements to obstruct their archers... But, well, okay, maybe that would be pretty good, but still... two walls...

Well, we are pretty good at summoning tubes, and making sustained fire, and if you put a fire inside a tube-with0only-0one-open-end and then put thetube in the water then you really need a warhead but otherwise... Ugh, I guess we will need firetraps to use as warheads...

I REALLY wanna upgrade out wand knowledge. Wands do not have to be sticks that shoot fire. A wand can be a gauntlet that summons spikes as it punches, or a shield that coats itself in crystal or a saddle that continuously maintains a summoned horse, or a bag that fills itself with hot air, or a suit of armour that can transform into a fire engine...
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 28, 2017, 01:32:17 am »

Yes, I do rather like the summon brick thing, but it doesn't stack well with firewall. I mean, sure, fire to keep the melee at bay and battlements to obstruct their archers... But, well, okay, maybe that would be pretty good, but still... two walls...

Well, we are pretty good at summoning tubes, and making sustained fire, and if you put a fire inside a tube-with0only-0one-open-end and then put thetube in the water then you really need a warhead but otherwise... Ugh, I guess we will need firetraps to use as warheads...

I REALLY wanna upgrade out wand knowledge. Wands do not have to be sticks that shoot fire. A wand can be a gauntlet that summons spikes as it punches, or a shield that coats itself in crystal or a saddle that continuously maintains a summoned horse, or a bag that fills itself with hot air, or a suit of armour that can transform into a fire engine...

Or a boot that when you put it on snakes crawl out of it onto your leg!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 28, 2017, 01:49:02 am »

Or a latrine with a portal to the desert.
Read the First Post!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 28, 2017, 03:42:49 am »

Or a latrine with a portal to the desert.

Ok, so what if we decide to use our next phase to create a portal that teleports shit from our latrines into the Moskurg capital. Oh wait, it would blend in with the rest of their city. Never mind...

Really though, next turn we will see what's what. I'm wary of their weather control, but I can't think of a way to stop it. We may want to work on making magic traps (which would work against their original detect ambush AND move us one step closer to magic guns wands.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 301