Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: ArmageddonMUD  (Read 5536 times)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: ArmageddonMUD
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 09:19:01 am »

I'm interested, but I'd like to know what the community is like. I've had so many bad experiences with roleplaying game communities in the past. I find that a lot of them are very drama prone and attract people who have less of an interest in roleplaying and interacting with the stories of other players, and more of an interest in ensuring their own personal story plays out uninterrupted.

I assume the nature of the game and permadeath prevents cliques and keeps things fresh.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 09:36:14 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 10:33:26 am »

Ditto. MUDs are so... venerable these days, that sometimes their fine-wine-esque communities are a bit of an acquired taste.

If I ever get account creation working I'll give the low-down on this bad boy.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 10:45:15 am »

I assume the nature of the game and permadeath prevents cliques and keeps things fresh.
To my knowledge, the policies against out-of-game coordination, metagaming and what-have-you are so strict that OOC "cliques" aren't likely to be a problem, apart from perhaps the occasional group that enter the game simultaneously as a special application. If that's still a thing.
Of course, ICly any dirt-poor commoner character is likely to be trodden into the dirt by their societal betters, but that just makes sense. :P

Last I checked, the forums seemed to be very chill. Honestly a nice community from what I saw. There's the whole "find out IC" thing to contend with, but apart from that the most of them seem very helpful and friendly. I've only actually played the game briefly, but I didn't have any unpleasant experiences with players then, either.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 11:08:12 am »

To my knowledge, the policies against out-of-game coordination, metagaming and what-have-you are so strict that OOC "cliques" aren't likely to be a problem, apart from perhaps the occasional group that enter the game simultaneously as a special application. If that's still a thing.
Of course, ICly any dirt-poor commoner character is likely to be trodden into the dirt by their societal betters, but that just makes sense. :P
That's great to hear, but it brings up another question I'd like to ask. How strictly is roleplaying policed, and what constitutes a situation bad enough for an admin to step in?

I'm looking to bring some friends who I think would enjoy it, but we've had a ton of bad experiences with "You're running too fast, that must mean you're a metagaming TROLL!" type of people, and I know they'll leave at the first sign of drama.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Feco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 12:17:59 pm »

In the particular example you gave, your movement speed is coded, so if you can do it, it generally isn't a problem.  Most things are coded.  That means you don't have to worry about that stuff, at all.

This isn't a MUSH, where you emote everything and all that.  There's a coded game here that mostly regulates what you can do.

Also, players aren't allowed to sit there and criticize you in game, either.  OOC communication, even in game, is discouraged or not allowed.  If someone criticizes you or something like that, they're being assholes and can be reported to staff.  I've never experienced that sort of thing.

Like someone else said, you aren't supposed to know who plays who and whatnot.  That limits clique formating and stuff like that.  You actually don't have to engage the community out of the game if you don't want to -- you can just play in character and never use the message boards.

The short of it is that, yes, you're expected to act like a real person, but no, there aren't crazy RP police roaming around looking to smash you.  Play the game as the code allows, and otherwise use good judgement.

I'm not sure what to say about the character creation issue, bit it's almost certainly a client issue.  Any way you can run MUSHclient?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 12:29:51 pm by Feco »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 12:30:24 pm »

Twas a client issue. Reconnected in Mudlet and everything is off and running. Just waiting for approval (or rejection) now!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Feco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 12:33:49 pm »

Twas a client issue. Reconnected in Mudlet and everything is off and running. Just waiting for approval (or rejection) now!

Yay!

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this yet, but there is a link on the main page to chat with helpers online.  Nice way to ask questions about how to do something, if you're stuck.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 02:17:24 pm »

Have tried this out a couple times before, but never got too into it. I'll make a more solid go of it this time! See you all in-game.

Sweet!

What do you think kept you from getting into it?  Might be able to make some suggestions.

The long character creation period. My first character in both attempts died somewhat quickly, and I didn't feel like waiting around for the admins to approve my next attempts. I think I'll try to adapt to the pacing this time around. I think my old accounts inactivity'd out(usernames/passwords/recovery emails didn't work when I tried a while ago), so I made a fresh one for this go-around.

Current character has been waiting 18~hours for approval/rejection.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Feco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2017, 05:06:57 pm »

Ah, gotcha.  This is one of those games that can take a little while to bite, I think partially because of stuff like that.

Once it bites though... Doesn't let go.  I've played for 7 years, and put more hours in than any other game.  I know some players who have been around probably close to 20 years.  Fun stuff.  Too fun, sometimes.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2017, 11:58:34 am »

In the particular example you gave, your movement speed is coded, so if you can do it, it generally isn't a problem.  Most things are coded.  That means you don't have to worry about that stuff, at all.

This isn't a MUSH, where you emote everything and all that.  There's a coded game here that mostly regulates what you can do.

I've always been interested in this, and I'd like to get into a new MUD, but  I've veered strongly away from pretty much any MUSH like 'RP actions' gaming as I just found it got tedious. I remember having an argument with someone for about half an hour about why he couldn't say a power word that forced me to follow him - it ended up feeling like I was back on the playground ('I shot you!', 'nah ah, I've got an invisible shield!').

It happened for lesser things as well, like someone saying they pulled a seat out from me just as I sat down, which caused me to drop my stuff (which I was then supposed to drop) which a nearby thief would pick up. It was a set up for a 'mission', but was a bit annoying to be forced into situations like that.

How free from that is this game? Is it sorta completely playable without resorting to talky-RPing or is it mostly RPing with a few coded rules in place?
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2017, 08:45:29 pm »

Combat, magic, pickpocketing, climbing, being thrown off a mount, cooking, crafting, stealth etc etc etc are all handled codedly.

Where things can't be expressed codedly you'd use the emote command to describe your character's actions, and emotes can also be appended to coded actions.  The convention is that code trumps emotes in the vast majority of cases (generally unless both players agree).  So in your example you'd simple type 'sit [thing]' and then you're sat on/by the thing.  If a 'power word' were to exist in Armageddon, it'd exist codedly.  Out of character communication is typically the very last resort, so your playground scenario is highly unlikely.  Power emoting (eg emoting that you do a thing to someone else) is frowned upon.  You don't emote grabbing the elf, you emote attempting to grab the elf,or use the coded subdue command.  That said, a sense of fair play is good.  Try to follow the 'Yes, and' rule from improv instead of just shutting down anything that could have a negative outcome for you.  That goes for social interactions too; if you're playing a gullible country bumpkin then let your character fall for bullshit you see straight through.  Losing is fun and all that.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'talky-RPing'.  Roleplay is mandatory, it's the whole point of the game.  Here's the rules and a short explanation of how we'd define roleplaying.  You can definitely play a character who spends most of their time hunting alone out in the wilderness (if you can survive of course :P), but you'd be expected to actually roleplay as an unsociable hunter then.  If you're hoping for a hack & slash where your interaction is limited to 'n,n,n,e,kill [thing],loot [thing],n,kill [thing]' then it isn't the game for you.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2017, 04:13:32 am »

Combat, magic, pickpocketing, climbing, being thrown off a mount, cooking, crafting, stealth etc etc etc are all handled codedly.

Where things can't be expressed codedly you'd use the emote command to describe your character's actions, and emotes can also be appended to coded actions.  The convention is that code trumps emotes in the vast majority of cases (generally unless both players agree).  So in your example you'd simple type 'sit [thing]' and then you're sat on/by the thing.  If a 'power word' were to exist in Armageddon, it'd exist codedly.  Out of character communication is typically the very last resort, so your playground scenario is highly unlikely.  Power emoting (eg emoting that you do a thing to someone else) is frowned upon.  You don't emote grabbing the elf, you emote attempting to grab the elf,or use the coded subdue command.  That said, a sense of fair play is good.  Try to follow the 'Yes, and' rule from improv instead of just shutting down anything that could have a negative outcome for you.  That goes for social interactions too; if you're playing a gullible country bumpkin then let your character fall for bullshit you see straight through.  Losing is fun and all that.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'talky-RPing'.  Roleplay is mandatory, it's the whole point of the game.  Here's the rules and a short explanation of how we'd define roleplaying.  You can definitely play a character who spends most of their time hunting alone out in the wilderness (if you can survive of course :P), but you'd be expected to actually roleplay as an unsociable hunter then.  If you're hoping for a hack & slash where your interaction is limited to 'n,n,n,e,kill [thing],loot [thing],n,kill [thing]' then it isn't the game for you.

Great response, thanks.

My question post seemed overly negative against RPing which I didn't mean for it to. By talk-RPing I just meant the more MUSH type way of emoting everything and relying on code in very certain circumstances. As long as most stuff revolving around killing/losing is coded in then I'm happy - whilst losing can be fun, I don't enjoy losing all my hard work at the whim of others daily quest.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Feco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2017, 02:58:42 pm »

Ah, yeah I get you.  Pretty much everything is handled codedly, or can be related to code in some way.  This is a coded game where you have to roleplay.  :)

Since you mentioned killing:  killing someone involves the "kill" command, which initiates coded combat.  Combat takes into account character attributes, skills, equipment, etc.  Very much coded.  There are even alternative attacks you can use, like kick, bash, backstab, and sap, among others.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 03:39:53 pm by Feco »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2017, 05:15:48 pm »

Ah, yeah I get you.  Pretty much everything is handled codedly, or can be related to code in some way.  This is a coded game where you have to roleplay.  :)

Since you mentioned killing:  killing someone involves the "kill" command, which initiates coded combat.  Combat takes into account character attributes, skills, equipment, etc.  Very much coded.  There are even alternative attacks you can use, like kick, bash, backstab, and sap, among others.

Just the kind of info I needed - I'll definitely check it out! See you all inside!

Eridus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2017, 03:50:25 pm »

I'm really interested in playing, I've already made my account and character but I've been kinda stuck roaming around, getting lost, scared to do anything LOL. Armageddon is my first MUD and also my first roleplay experience. I was hopping through different forums to find anyone who knows the game to see if anyone would teach me OOC how to basic do stuff, I find it really difficult to roleplay as someone who was born in Allanak when I know nothing about it, even after reading the help file on allanak I still feel like I don't know it at all. So if anyone is interested in helping me out or being a companion in-game, shoot me a message or add my discord @Eridus#4055 (First time posting on here as well, not sure if I'm breaking any rules here lmao)
Pages: 1 [2] 3