Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 347347 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2535 on: May 08, 2020, 03:39:04 am »

"Mmm, yeah, we won under Candentis, but we didn't have any good answers to the giant bug mage.  And we didn't get everyone out.  That was a close run battle.. it could have went either way.

Sure, I did get people under there, but I was asking them to fight.. and to die.  And some did.  If I'd been stronger, well, maybe I could have done it myself, and not needed dozens of people.  Maybe we wouldn't have had to collapse the cavern.  There was some interesting stuff under there, the farms, some magic items, whatever was inside the base.. I wish I'd gotten to explore it.  And the farms might have made things better for the city.  Things would have went better if I was more able to fight."

"I don't want to die.  Becoming a fighter though, isn't going to make me more likely to die.  It'll give me more options.  It'll make me... and us, safer.  Being able to fight doesn't mean you have to fight."

"Maybe it'd be different if you knew a fighter.  The fighter in our party, well, he didn't die.  He was the toughest of all of us, the safest.  And having him around made us all safer.  I'd like a fighter around, and well, why not me this time?  There were other parties around that had people change roles, and it didn't quite work that way for us, it's not unheard of."

"Well, if you feel it's the wrong choice.. maybe we can talk after I try it.  See if you like it, see how it works out.  If you're worried about me dying.. well, I can make this armour a lot better, too.  But in the end I don't see how being stronger and tougher is going to make it easier for me to die.  Quite the opposite seems to be true."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: May 08, 2020, 03:51:31 am »

Ekrov shakes his head quietly, still staring at his feet.

"That's... not it, but I don't know how to explain."

"...You're right, I guess.  About the changes themselves not bring dangerous.  You'll be safer if you're stronger, and tougher.  I just don't want you to do it because you want to throw yourself on a sword to save someone.  Maybe you could've saved everyone in Candentis alone, if you had been stronger, but then if you weren't strong enough then--"

Ekrov rubs his eyes with one hand, groaning quietly.  "Go ahead.  But don't think you're going to be the only fighter.  I'm not going to stop working on my armor, and these robots, and the weapons.  You don't need to fight alone."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: May 08, 2020, 03:59:28 am »

"That's good.  No, I won't send you away, and no, I won't refuse those robots.  They seem cool and useful."

"But yeah, I do think I'd like to be stronger.  I mean, I got Grow and Strengthen and Expand.. just from some random person who needed my help.  Maybe it was meant to be.  Maybe someone was telling me something."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: May 08, 2020, 04:10:30 am »

Ekrov nods, quietly thinking.  He sits there in silence for a minute, the conversation having awkwardly paused, before he quietly speaks up again.

"...You know, what is a god, anyway?  People worship Telcal as a god, but what has he done that's beyond the power of a mage at his apex?  We're 'just' mages, but a few days ago I created a living, thinking being, without even knowing what I was doing.  A little more work and she'd be just as human as you or I, maybe moreso, since we're mages.  I don't have the power to create a city of people like her, but we talked about creating a whole village, and that is within my power.  If not now, then soon.  What is there, really, that separates mages from gods, beyond scale?"

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: May 08, 2020, 04:32:32 am »

"Mmm."

"You know, our party killed a god.  Or at least a big monster that called itself a god.  It was some kinda invader from somewhere else, I'm not quite sure exactly.  It didn't get along with the people near it, demanded it be worshipped, beat up some heroes and destroyed a few villages.  And picked some fights with some good monsters around, killed one or two of them when they tried to protect their people."

"So, no, I don't know what makes a god a god."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: May 08, 2020, 04:54:18 am »

Ekrov chuckles quietly.  "You know, that sounds crazy, and yet I believe you.  And you say you aren't special, haha..."

He yawns, stretching again, then finally stands back up.  He looks up at the monolithic ruins of Gravid, muttering quietly.  "Strange to think we have to leave tomorrow.  I feel like I've been here a lot longer than a month.  I've changed so much..."

He turns, gathering up his mess of papers and stuffing them into a bag, before pulling a heavy cloth over the robot.  Then he turns back to Saeko, smiling lightly.  "Thanks for coming to talk, it was... interesting, even though I feel less sure of things, now.  Well.  I'm sure it will work out.  And, as I've said before, I'll always be around to help you go back to normal, if you make any mistakes."

He pauses, clearly not wanting to leave, but having nothing else to say.  "...There's still a lot of work to do in the morning, and I'm already awake much too late.  Good night, Saeko."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: May 08, 2020, 04:59:36 am »

"Good night Ekrov."

"..And thanks for being here for me.  I'll ask you before making any changes."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: May 08, 2020, 06:19:06 am »

“Thank you. I’m Eve, I get mana by helping spirits. What would be a good indicator of which ones to help and which ones to leave alone?”

"We don't tend to deal with spirits much so can't give you that much advise on that front. I suggest you talk to the priests here to learn more, they are spirit experts. And maybe talk to a magebreaker sometime if you get the chance, they know how to deal with malicious spirits as well. But as a general tip, not smashing open mysterious urns you found in a sealed-off temple until you have an actual idea of what is in it, or at least making solid preparations to reseal it if it's nefarious before releasing it, would be a good start.

Oh, and while it possessed you that spirit killed some people. You might want to see if you can make amends for that. You may not be able to bring them back from the dead, but perhaps you can ensure no destitute widows or orphans are now left behind."

“Thank you. Do you have an idea how long I’ve been possessed for? I went here with an adventurer who mentioned a party coming in a couple days, but I don’t know how long I’ve been possessed. I’ll go to the priests soon. After getting information from them, I’m wondering if I could travel with you?”

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: May 11, 2020, 06:24:08 am »

Okay, last turn.  As a note, always hold an aristocrat and soldier key from now on.  The only real goal here is to get the thaumic plane thing out of the hangar, so that we have more lifting capacity.  I'm guessing we can't just open the hangar normally, so if Benedict fails to open it...

1.Know roll a solution.  Because that will be a better solution than whatever I can think of.

2.Failing that, destroy whatever locks the door in place, using small targeted banishes or Cloud transmutions (whichever is cheaper).  Hopefully, Benedict can then just force the door open.

3.Use Animate to make the door open itself.

4.If it would be reasonably possible, just open a big hole in the door large enough for the golem to escape from, by either banishing or cloud-transmuting a large segment of the hangar.

5.Contemplate just banishing the entire transport outside.  If it wouldn't be more than d12, somehow, just try it.

6. I've got nothing else.  If we can't get the transport out, then just settle with riding Benedict out.  I don't know if Benedict will even have spare weight, but if he does, the only heavy loot I want to grab consists of robots and golems.  Just tell me how many I can take.  If I *can* get the plane out, and is flyable and everything, see the below spoiler for loot priorities:

Spoiler: Loot (click to show/hide)

7. As for the painting girl, we're leaving her in Gravid, saying that we'll come back to her within a month.  Possibly sooner.  In the meantime we want her to study the ruins more, try and learn more about them.  She can survive off the mana drain leeching the magicoal pile.  Zavi DOES NOT get to take her.

8. Use clockwork to change one of the assembled bots to have an AI that follows orders given to it in our language, but refuses to deal any notable damage to anything unless a specific order is used, and confirms the exact thing to be damaged in a very explicit manner.  It has no directive AI beyond following orders, and in the absence of them will just sit still and do nothing.  Leave this robot with Painting Saeko after powering it up and ensuring it isn't dangerous.  And, uh, remove or disable any weapons it has before powering it up the first time--I forget if they have built-in weapons, but no reason to turn on a potentially hostile killbot while its shotgun is loaded.

9. Leave with Saeko, obviously.  Flying the transport, if it's available.

Spoiler: creepy oracle kid (click to show/hide)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: May 11, 2020, 10:39:05 am »

Sit down in the grass and pull out my shiny orb. attempt to use it to scry information on our superpredator friend. Hey, it's a magic crystal ball, right? That's how they work, right?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: May 11, 2020, 11:19:36 am »

Go to the priests and ask them the following question about spirits
‘I am a Servant, I help spirits to gain mana. How will I know what spirits to help and what spirits to leave alone?”

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: May 11, 2020, 11:39:47 am »

Claim some last loot from Gravid. Nothing of... historical importance, preferably nothing dangerous or that I would have difficulty selling. I just want to make some money from the time I spent here.

Spoiler: Zavi (click to show/hide)
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2547 on: May 11, 2020, 05:03:43 pm »

Well this is bad. whatever the crystals are supposed to protect against is probably beginning to overwhelm them. I need an information source!
Well what kind of stuff were the labs for at least? are there any operating records of the labs left behind? Did the labs have to negotiate with anyone in order to operate here? who did they have to report to? If I can't get firsthand information maybe I can get secondhand information or records or SOMETHING I can learn about the darn crystals? They're clearly reacting to SOMETHING but I have no clue what that is!
Stay alert to chances to learn from the local spirits.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)

The labs were used for all manner of things, mostly for golems and thaumic machinery though. You ask about operating records and are told that anything like that is still sealed in the buildings. The upper layers of the labs are open but lower layers were sealed off decades ago. That is apparently where most of the work was done and the original workers feared that the contents of the labs could be misused or cause harm over time. No one really knows much about the organizational structure of the labs, only that they apparently reported back to the capital.  You ask if this sort of thing has happened before and get an interesting response. Apparently, according to older residents, it has. It happens every 7-10 years apparently, though originally it was simply a kind of groaning from the crystals and has been getting more serious ever since.

This makes it seem like whatever the cause of this is, its not local...or at least not constant. Maybe a migration of some kind?

Wake up
“Where am I? What happened? Who are you?”

"Kaolin. You got possessed. We are the people who got you unpossessed. Try not to touch strange goop in the future if you can help it."

Alright. [8v5] This seems to be something of a weapons dump. There are other jars like this one buried under the encroaching dirt and grass.
Wait, weapons dump? I thought these were trapped guardian spirits or something. Were these spirits used as weapons in the past? How?

Check around to see if there were more bounties or similar placed for the blobdemon, if so claim them (don't go around shaking people down or anything, mind you).

Then go visit the temple to Alizarin and learn all I can about her, what she likes and dislikes, how to contact her, all that stuff. Also look up info about the sunbro staff, though don't mention to anyone we have it of course.

Oh, and related to that, do we have any idea why those people wanted the sunbro staff to remain separated so badly? Or at least an idea of who they were?

Weapons dump as in "Place where dangerous stuff we no longer need is dumped". These guardians are effectively weapons. They certainly can kill people.

[10v5] You find a few bounties. They aren't specifically for the blob, but judging by what they say, you think the blob was the actual cause. Missing people mostly.  You manage to get an extra 90 gold out of them.

The pertinent stuff you find is as follows:

1. Alizarin apparently looks like a big reptile, if her statues are anything to go by. What kind of reptile varies. The largest statue in her temple depicts her as an oddly sexual crocodile while others show her made of many snakes or as something resembling a reclining monitor lizard.

2. She is one of the daughters of Kal-Dune, long vanished God of Earth and Stone. Described as caring but aloof, and sometimes jealous. Ipecacuanha was apparently a temple city in the old days that was devoted to her. She was a bit more wild than your average forest goddess and rather preferred her domain to be a place where humans had to reshape their actions to survive instead of changing the world around them. Loved natives of her jungles and plains, be they animal or human, and was very suspicious of outsiders.She did enjoy freshly hunted meat, honey, and alcohol. 

3. Her staff was apparently something she granted to the head priest of Ipecacuanha, a fragment of what they refer to the "Dominion of Earth", apparently literal objects which held the powers of the absent Kal-Dune. Hers was called the "Dominion of Green" which held sway over all plants. It was stolen at some point in the past, apparently as part of some kind of attempted Coop. The Head Priest was killed, along with many others, and an attempt was made on Alizarin's life. It failed, but the staff and the Dominion were never recovered.

4. Apparently her existence is what maintains the plains as they are, full of all manner of beasts, including many that are supernatural. As a land its not terribly welcoming to humans and trying to farm or log it always results in death. Those who attempted the Coop were trying to take control of the area for their own desires.  As to what happened to the staff, thats unknown. Its possible they wanted to make another attempt now that Alizarin is far less of a presence than she once was.

Go to the priests and ask them the following question about spirits
‘I am a Servant, I help spirits to gain mana. How will I know what spirits to help and what spirits to leave alone?”

They say that spirits are effectively the offspring of gods, though distant in terms of lineage and power. Their nature varies as does the nature of a person. In general if you find a spirit that has been obviously intentionally imprisoned it is a good idea to leave it alone.

Sit down in the grass and pull out my shiny orb. attempt to use it to scry information on our superpredator friend. Hey, it's a magic crystal ball, right? That's how they work, right?

[7v6] -6 mana

Hard to tell if the orb had anything to do with it or if you were just lucky, but your attempt to scry info out of thin air actually works to a degree. It is apparently somewhere in the larger building, contained in an item, and is using someone as a vessel right now. Not unlike your cursed knife but...quite a lot stronger.

Claim some last loot from Gravid. Nothing of... historical importance, preferably nothing dangerous or that I would have difficulty selling. I just want to make some money from the time I spent here.

Spoiler: Zavi (click to show/hide)
We'll say you gathered up 150 Gold worth of jewelry and other small, valuable objects.

Okay, last turn.  As a note, always hold an aristocrat and soldier key from now on.  The only real goal here is to get the thaumic plane thing out of the hangar, so that we have more lifting capacity.  I'm guessing we can't just open the hangar normally, so if Benedict fails to open it...

1.Know roll a solution.  Because that will be a better solution than whatever I can think of.

2.Failing that, destroy whatever locks the door in place, using small targeted banishes or Cloud transmutions (whichever is cheaper).  Hopefully, Benedict can then just force the door open.

3.Use Animate to make the door open itself.

4.If it would be reasonably possible, just open a big hole in the door large enough for the golem to escape from, by either banishing or cloud-transmuting a large segment of the hangar.

5.Contemplate just banishing the entire transport outside.  If it wouldn't be more than d12, somehow, just try it.

6. I've got nothing else.  If we can't get the transport out, then just settle with riding Benedict out.  I don't know if Benedict will even have spare weight, but if he does, the only heavy loot I want to grab consists of robots and golems.  Just tell me how many I can take.  If I *can* get the plane out, and is flyable and everything, see the below spoiler for loot priorities:

Spoiler: Loot (click to show/hide)

7. As for the painting girl, we're leaving her in Gravid, saying that we'll come back to her within a month.  Possibly sooner.  In the meantime we want her to study the ruins more, try and learn more about them.  She can survive off the mana drain leeching the magicoal pile.  Zavi DOES NOT get to take her.

8. Use clockwork to change one of the assembled bots to have an AI that follows orders given to it in our language, but refuses to deal any notable damage to anything unless a specific order is used, and confirms the exact thing to be damaged in a very explicit manner.  It has no directive AI beyond following orders, and in the absence of them will just sit still and do nothing.  Leave this robot with Painting Saeko after powering it up and ensuring it isn't dangerous.  And, uh, remove or disable any weapons it has before powering it up the first time--I forget if they have built-in weapons, but no reason to turn on a potentially hostile killbot while its shotgun is loaded.

9. Leave with Saeko, obviously.  Flying the transport, if it's available.

Spoiler: creepy oracle kid (click to show/hide)
1. Using a chunk of magicoal for power and Benedict for muscle, you get the door to the hanger opened.  [-13 mana] Using banish you succeed on "Pushing" the plane out the doors and the spirit pilot lands it. You don't have to move it far for this to work, so its not terribly expensive. 
7. Okie Dokie, painting girl stays and learns.   
8. [1+5v1] Done. AI is a misnomer but this automata will do as you programmed it to.
9. Done. The transport is big so its gonna eat magicoal. For the trip back it will likely take a few pieces. Let me see if I can measure distances here... 260ish...lets call it 1 for every 50, or 5 for the flight.

Have Benedict pry open that hangar door.  If he can't manage it, try again after a temporary spell to help out.. a Strengthen Grow or just Strengthen to give him more size or muscle.

Ask Painting-Saeko if she'd like to feed the weakened spirits here with mana.  Leave behind one of the barrels of magicoal, and my ghost charm if she agrees to do so.  Give her a soldier's key.

Hide the advanced aristocrat and technician keys in some soldier-locked room.  I don't want to make it permanently impossible for them to be found by taking them away, and the important room to keep safe, the mana room, is secured through other methods.  Keep a second soldier key for myself, and stash at least one spare away somewhere outside where we can give written directions to.

Start loading him up with loot, along with the cargo moth if it should be successfully freed.  Here's the order with which to load him up:

15 of the 16 barrels of magicoal.  Leaving one behind for painting-saeko to feed to any dying spirits.
Minaturized core of the fighter-sparrow.
Hand retrieved gems and jewelry from two passes of the palace and the contents of the core room.
Gold serving dishes and other dining-room loot.
King's wardrobe from the core room.
Full body mirror
Gold wire and thaumic/non-thaumic manufacturing tools from the small laboratory in the core, as well as the gold-laying devices.
The two machine guns.
The special multi-bolt flower petal rifle.
Forty magic rifles, two giant rifles, and the exploding grenades.
All (16) of the force-field rods.
Twenty-four magic sabres
15 suits of the thin, lightweight magic armour
8 sets of silk clothing.
Unidentified manufacturing machinery from forge 8
The 10 pieces of minaturized furnature and art pieces from the Core room.  Do include, as the one not for sale, a statue of or a depiction of the Wind Goddess.

That should be about three or four tons, which is proabably about a fifth of Benedict's weight.

If you don't think it's too much, add on extra art pieces from the palace.

Then, lets go mount everyone up and head back towards the capital, expecting a three-day flight due to Benedict's heavy load, similar to the heavy load of food and water he carried on the way out.

Spoiler: Saeko Hirahara (click to show/hide)
1. Did it without a spell
2. She'll do her best
3. Alright (we'll assume Sy kept his as he wants)
4. Since the giant flier was successfully freed, you can get all that in. And the art pieces. And all the crew.

Everyone piles into the flier, including Saeko and even Benedict; though he has to squeeze to fit. The majority of the flier is hollow, including most of the wings, while the entire head is the cockpit. Its divided into an upper and lower section, with the giant pair of compound eyes (along with an artfully incorperated transparent section between them) making up the windshield. The pilot chair is on the second level and centrally placed, while the rest of the cockpit holds various consoles and stations that appear to either not be functional or at least aren't working right now. Ekrov gives the machine the order to take off and points it in the direction of the capital. With these orders the flier raises itself up on 8 pairs of mechanical limbs and begins moving fowards. It runs in a sort of wave like motion, like a centipede, lifting the paired legs in tandem. It gives the run a forward and back rock, like a ship on the sea.  As it picks up speed the thaumic furnace, located at the bottom of the cockpit, begins to run even hotter. Nodes along the inside and outside of the machine glow faint purple and everyone inside feels lighter and lighter than before. With one last push the machine jumps into the air and suddenly rockets forward with a roar of air that scatters the sand beneath it and throws everyone back off their feet or presses them down in their seats.

The flier gains altitude with surprising speed, faster than Benedict could even unladen. The ground falls away and within seconds the windshield is nothing but a wall of clouds. The ascent becomes more shallow but doesn't stop and they breach the the clouds and continue up. The blue sky darkens above them, the horizon becoming a blurred line of earth and blue sky with star speckled darkness above. Finally the flier levels off and the acceleration halts. Here, in the hazy space between sky and stars, they find far more then they imagined. Hanging here, like motes of dust in a sunbeam,  is an entire country. A smear of floating islands many miles long, an archipeligo in the sky.  You can see buildings spread across these islands, smatterings of white and gray across black stone, and even buildings seemingly floating of their own accord, spiraling very slowly in place. There are ruins here as well, like those you saw below: Smashed chunks of architecture, remains of machines,  mummified bodies, and all manner of random objects afloat in nothing. But there is more as well. Destroyed mechanist warships, combat machines, clouds of oil and gears. And on those islands you can see movement; shining metal glinting as it churns and skitters miles away. Like a cancer some of those islands have great iron masses growing on them, machine hives buzzing with warships.

You see this all for maybe 3 or 4 minutes from a distance, before the flier dips and begins to descend. Within two hours of take off the flier is banking in a wide turn around Alkahest's Volcano, apparently looking for somewhere to land.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: May 11, 2020, 10:09:10 pm »

There is absolutely no way that the seals on the lower labs are perfect. given the amount of time that has passed I'd expect the homeless population to have ransacked them thoroughly unless they are actively guarded.
Inspect the seals on the lower labs. I REALLY have trouble buying that the seals have worked properly this entire time. maybe they've devloped holes, maybe they're bypassable, maybe they missed a spot, but there's no way they all still work. Also keep an eye out for the poor and desperate anywhere near the labs, having been one of them, I know what to look for, and I also know that they're generally more in touch with threats and resources than those with a more stable living situation.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 10:11:12 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: May 12, 2020, 04:59:02 am »

Woah

After we land I want to take Benedict, the core, and a barrel of magicoal up to visit the magebreaker who paid for the expedition.  The others can guard the loot until I can talk to the auctioneers and figure out where to keep the stuff.

Spoiler: Saeko Hirahara (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 02:49:58 am by Devastator »
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 203