Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 240308 times)

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #570 on: November 27, 2017, 02:16:48 pm »

Alright, it's official. Ases must have overreacted. I THOUGHT it was the right thing to do considering the girl was given a dangerous job and was risking a flood by not doing it properly. If it was really as big an issue as I thought it was, a responsible father probably would have told her outright, "if somebody gets hurt because of you, I'm throwing you to their kids and patching up what they leave behind." Fuck, it's what my own dad would probably have done.

Didn't mean to call you out on this. When I read it, I thought it was a funny story that showed Donu's stupidity has consequences. In my mind, Ases threat made that clear, and Donu understands she messed up. The fact that she only complained in her journal is her version of admitting guilt (in a weird, circular 12 year old girl kind of way).

I just wanted to point out that Zothoabo would probably make the whole thing more uncomfortable for both parties, and inadvertantly proved my point, lol.

no hard feelings, I appreciate all the lore posts.

edit:
Also I like how the chief doctor is actually following "Do no harm"

Ironically, that was not as intended, lol.

I normally like playing military characters, but this time, I wanted someone who was just as capable of murder (maybe even more so) but a civilian... basically go the whole mad scientist/serial killer angle..... then I read his backstory and mood and went the exact opposite direction. XD
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 02:19:02 pm by Megaman_zx »
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: November 27, 2017, 02:24:40 pm »

Eh, you made it more uncomfortable for me, and that was only because there's already issues with trying to normalize it in the thread. Ases would have laid it on the line and just said, "if she straightens up and doesn't kill anybody, we're cool. If my pops or brother get hurt because of her, you can kill me in my sleep after I finish with her."

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #572 on: November 27, 2017, 03:23:05 pm »

Well, IndigoFenix, the choice is yours o/ Digo is fine tho, but if you want to change you still can

On a minor note, I've been working on your dorfin' designs

Hah, I like it!

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: November 27, 2017, 08:51:04 pm »

Wow, I really want to contribute, but I feel very much out of my element.  I just can't keep enough characters straight.  I don't know how much of it is my fault, and how much is the fact that the nature of Dwarf Fortress makes a lot of these people look similar when our kind host gets time to illustrate them: the "cultural appearance" rules probably keep everyone's hairstyle similar, and of course the intelligent player is making sure the soldiers get similar armor.

So I don't mean to shirk or anything, after having gotten myself into the story.  I would totally narrate if I could.  Perhaps it will be easier to follow, indeed, once adventurers are off again.  (Still enjoying it as-is.)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 27, 2017, 10:20:28 pm »

No worries. Just being here and talking to us is enough.

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: November 27, 2017, 10:25:09 pm »

Yep and enjoy the journal entries from your favorite characters
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: November 28, 2017, 12:57:13 am »

Is it possible to get overview of Mong Kima pantheon? We currently know more about self-named "gods" than about "real" ones.

I've started writing Satheth journal and stumbled on a few questions:
-) Does he have any good friends/annoying grudges?
-) Does he have any writing skills (not likely, but still - polishing them could become an interesting sub-quest)
-) Does he have time window to pray? (his thoughts state he is distracted by it; being too busy training is fine - I'm interested if regular praying is still possible for actively training fort members)
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #577 on: November 28, 2017, 07:08:46 am »

Wow, this turned out better than expected, I'm glad I let it rest. Far more mature than the forums I'm accustomed to, kudos to you guys.

From where I stand, Donu lazying at her work is seen with the same healthy suspiscion as Ases threatening Donu with violence. Not a big deal, but something to be kept in check, typically the kind of thing that is to be shifted under the rug. This kind of thing happen every now and then, and if we start executing people for this kind of stuff, we'd run out of heads to cut really quickly. And we can't afford this, because we're on a mission for the kingdom.

Optionally, if she feels she needs to slap Donu, she can. This kind of thing happen every now and then, Pearlites love to brawl, Donu included. I see no problem in that, it's culturally appropriate, as long as people know when to stop. Brawling is a thing, murder is a completely other domain.

That said, on other stuff ; I'll wait for Zotho to give his formal response to Zefer (my suggestion is to speak of bethrowal rather than marriage, Donu is still very young), and I want to draw something about this before we move on. Feel free to ask any information you need !

Is it possible to get overview of Mong Kima pantheon? We currently know more about self-named "gods" than about "real" ones.

I've started writing Satheth journal and stumbled on a few questions:
-) Does he have any good friends/annoying grudges?
-) Does he have any writing skills (not likely, but still - polishing them could become an interesting sub-quest)
-) Does he have time window to pray? (his thoughts state he is distracted by it; being too busy training is fine - I'm interested if regular praying is still possible for actively training fort members)

The gods of Mong Kima pretty much represent the facets of the life of the Pearlites.

Ino Sweetdecent, The Leafy Armor, Goddess of agriculture, oaths and loyalty. I assume her to be a sort of Gaia figure
Edri the Friendly Slaves, God of Labor, Craftmanship and Healing. Basically the god of everything men produce. I imagine him to be Ino's husband.
Sabu Virtusearch, god of fishes and justice, god of sailors, knights and soldiers.

So basically the most prayed gods are what most of people do ; we have a god for peasants, a god for craftmen and a god for sailors.

Bastsan, The Rapidity of Champions, god of Thunder, Wealth, Jewels and Minerals. A minor god for those who work in mines I assume.

And the evil not so good ones :

Gogol Deathphantom, god of suicide
Pasmug, goddess of jealousy

Now about Satheth :

Satheth have a very, very strong relation with his mother, and have kept a good impression of people he met when he was a little child, back when he was at Brokenbronze. He knows Zothoabo from there.
His best friend in the fort seems to be one of Rethi-Eli's daughters, ispo facto Digo's sister, a girl his age called Nemen. He has also good relationship with people from the bootcamp. He's in friendly terms with Donu, Sirris and Duslud and has good vibes with Dengusa, altho the two don't know each other very much yet.

No grudges as far as I can tell. So far he has no writing skills, but he's a competent speaker and has some knowledge about a variety of poetic forms. Altho writing is something he can learn really easily. Also no, the bootcamp is pretty much an extremely intensive school, training is pretty much all you do. However you do sleep in the common room with the civilians, and eat in the "mead hall" in the second top floor of the fortress with them, the rest of the time is just training.

Wow, I really want to contribute, but I feel very much out of my element.  I just can't keep enough characters straight.

No problem ! If you wish, I can focus a short update on your character and who he knows. Dengusa himself don't know a lot of people, he doesn't have a lot of faces to remember, and since already two of them (Donu and Satheth) are dorfed and training with him, that should be enough. It's okay not to know litterally everyone.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 28, 2017, 07:27:21 am »

"Wow, this turned out better than expected, I'm glad I let it rest. Far more mature than the forums I'm accustomed to, kudos to you guys. "

Even if we'd kept discussing it, I wouldn't have been immature about it. I'm not that kind of guy. Just would have kept pointing out cultural points that justified the action. Though they really wouldn't have been appropriate since Toady made this game to be highly customizable. Pretty much whoever is running the game at any given time is a God in their own right within its boundaries.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 28, 2017, 08:51:12 am »

Well, IndigoFenix, the choice is yours o/ Digo is fine tho, but if you want to change you still can

On a minor note, I've been working on your dorfin' designs

Aaaand on a list of clans for Watershield, for easy reference and to avoid inbreeding by trying to woo a girl that might be a cousin. Luckily, no inbreeding so far in the fortress.

5megs file tho
IIRC Lemann was Uquur's uncle, right?
Is he far enough removed to not be in her clan, or should he be in there?

Also, if there's any unmarried women or widows of his age, Lemann would probably like to get married. As the main trader of the fortress, he should have at least some wealth. He won't be someone to work for the sake of making himself rich, no, he'd rather pass on whatever wealth he accumulates to a child he's fathered.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: November 28, 2017, 10:25:06 am »

Wow, I really want to contribute, but I feel very much out of my element.  I just can't keep enough characters straight.

No problem ! If you wish, I can focus a short update on your character and who he knows. Dengusa himself don't know a lot of people, he doesn't have a lot of faces to remember, and since already two of them (Donu and Satheth) are dorfed and training with him, that should be enough. It's okay not to know litterally everyone.

Well, that depends on how much of your update time you want to spend on the scribes, priests, and crafters of the town, when you've got plenty of violence and bloodshed you could be illustrating.  You'd talked about expanding your options, though, which is a large part of why I offered up a non-military-focused character.  But I certainly wouldn't ask you to "focus" on my own character: you've got all the scribes, priests, and so on, all of whom could be doing what they do for your drawing entertainment.

Which is a long way of saying "have fun."

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 28, 2017, 10:28:45 am »

Adventure Log of Satheth

Entry 3.3

Already a year has passed since my father fell to goblin assault. I remember him being a calm man, averse to violence. Brother Ethro is the same. Talented with plants, farming and all that. Despising war just like father. But war does not listen to their wishes... One must stand tall and protect those who want to live a peaceful life. A year ago, I decided - it will be my duty.

Training with seasoned veterans is great, I always learn new exciting things. Even after all demonstrations, I'm still amazed after learning some intrica-ces (?) of the combat. Just to think biting could be so effective! Well, it is last resort only, but still! Biting!

I'm glad about making new aqaint-ces (?) and training beside my friends. Donu is easily distracted and self-centered, but easy to be around. Sirris is good with sword and pret*ink stain* deadly, I guess? And Nemen… Uh… A twin sister of sorts? We understand each other quite well, after all.

The rigro-s (?) training is eating up all time. I do not have enough even for praying to Edri about my family well-being. Hopefully, ma and Ethro will watch over young trouble-makers.

My handwriting is still messy. May improve with time, but I'm not looking forward being embarrassed by someone reading this. Maybe I should ask Ser or Saren for some advice in the future?
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: November 28, 2017, 10:33:06 am »

Did we ever find out who one punch kid was? He needs to be put under rigorous exercises so he can tap into his abilities.
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: November 28, 2017, 10:46:09 am »

Did we ever find out who one punch kid was? He needs to be put under rigorous exercises so he can tap into his abilities.
Exactly because adults were unable to uncover his identity, they are now training all the kids in the art of war. "Surviving sudden ambush'? Bullshit! They want one punch kid to surface and lead humanity to victory against ancient megabeasts, hordes of demons and lesser enemies. Sadly, for him, it seems to be "just a hobby".

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: November 28, 2017, 11:21:24 am »

Adventure Log of Satheth

Bravo! I feel bad for assuming Donu could write, lol. That was a really entertaining journal entry, keep it up!

That said, on other stuff ; I'll wait for Zotho to give his formal response to Zefer (my suggestion is to speak of bethrowal rather than marriage, Donu is still very young), and I want to draw something about this before we move on. Feel free to ask any information you need !

I'm thinking it may be a 3 part arc for Donu and Zefer to potentially get together. So it may take a year in-game for Zothoabo to come to a decision.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 111