Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 239075 times)

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #840 on: January 21, 2018, 01:31:46 am »

I think an adventurer bloodline game would be fun. My only concern is I don't think other people (myself included) will put nearly as much work as Cathar into legends research.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #841 on: January 21, 2018, 03:13:51 pm »

Yes I figured that much, but that's also a reason to do adventurer mode, since time goes much slower in adventurer than in fort mode, in terms of real life time, so there is less events to cover, and I can very much do that myself
I'm thinking about turns that would last some three in-game months before rotation, and surviving adventurers would be rotated in again for new adventures. Adventurers get/choose a mission before going into the world, play three months, complete their goal or not, then we rotate the save. That could make a good story from multiple perspectives, what do you think?

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: January 21, 2018, 09:08:51 pm »

But what I have in mind for the very near future is to go and explore the world beyond the boundaries of the fort, questing, and have a more close up look at the state of the subcontinent. I kinda want to see how the kingdom goes more closely, and meet other allied rulers, and as I understood, people who follow the thread are more adventurer mode than fortress mode, so it would kill two birds with one stone.

I'd say that this thread has revealed some interesting regions of the world, rife with megabeasts and what-have-you.  Going and studying these parts of the world in detail could be fun.  The good thing about adventurer mode is how free you are to leave once you think you've done enough.

I dunno about the balance between adventurer mode and fort mode interest, but I enjoy both.  Thankfully, adventurer mode is a lot more rich than it used to be.

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: January 23, 2018, 01:26:34 am »

Yes, I finally got myself to upgrade to the latest version. No issue so far, but since the world was generated in 43.03 (I think) we'll miss out on some features. That said, I want to keep the counter attack for a later stage. Maybe we can, later, build a fortress specifically made to stop and revert their progress.

But what I have in mind for the very near future is to go and explore the world beyond the boundaries of the fort, questing, and have a more close up look at the state of the subcontinent. I kinda want to see how the kingdom goes more closely, and meet other allied rulers, and as I understood, people who follow the thread are more adventurer mode than fortress mode, so it would kill two birds with one stone.

If no one is interested, no biggie, Ill do it on my own, but I feel like it could be a fun experience to share more directly

I would SO love to be in a sequel!
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 28, 2018, 03:04:49 am »

Zefer attempts to raise the thread!
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #845 on: January 28, 2018, 03:38:58 am »

For the sake of completion, I shall mention two other events that occured in the year 141.

The first one was the execution of Stran. That long-forgotten guest of us has been captured during the very first years of Watershield, and has been held captive since then. Stran was a vampire of over two hundred years. Like most of the werebeasts we encountered, she came from the Land of Confining - something ominous is definitely going on there. With another one of her kind, an old gentleman known by the name of Regalfingers, she laid waste in Brokenbronze over ten years ago. Her partner in crime has been captured and executed after the local commander, Stipoth Buttervalley, caught him red-handed after the murder of the lord's child.
But Stran always escaped detection.

It was in 130 that Luki Usupim managed to unveil her and cut her hand. Stran escaped once again, but was eventually recognized by her wound, caught during a trip to Watershield, and emprisoned since then.

Her life story of murder ends definitely today. She was empaled on a copper spear, and hopefully it is the last time we have to deal with this kind of predator.

The other event was yet another attack from Osme Stobûb. I can't be sure of that, but I assume this is at least part of the army that has been roaming in the south for quite some time now

They arrived after dusk and raised a camp to regroup and prepare to launch their assault. We gave them absolutely no time to mass their forces and crossed the bridge as soon as we saw them.

The ferocity of the night attack took them completely by surprize. Surely they did not expect to be the one having to hold their ground. We ran through them like a hot knife in butter - those who tried to resist were dispatched to the four winds.

After the initial clash, the fight was already over. Their reinforcements only came only to be slaughtered and to run back like headless chickens. That was a totally one-sided battle. It was as dirty and viciousas it gets, but we're not in a position to play fair when we're attacked every year by forces five time superior in numbers.

Morale is high, and the wall is taking a good turn. It should be completed next year.

Alright folks, there is one, single, last event I want to cover on this chapter of the history of Mong Kima, and it happens next year. So next update is definitely the last !

But this also means we can discuss more precisely what we want to do next.

As stated before, I want to do a little experiment, and share the save so you guys can adventure in Minbazkar and hopefully help the people of the kingdom. To be more precise, what I have in mind is this :

I'll give a couple of missions, complete with maps and objectives. Each player take the one it feels fit for. You go in the world, write a little report every year, I draw, everyone's happy. The missions should be something like long terms objectives, and I assume you'd want to explore the world a bit on your own, get experience, build reputation and do sidequests, which would be totally fine and could make for great stories.

There is a couple missions I have in my head.

• Explorator : Find out what the hell is happening in the Land of Confining and come back with an exploratory report. It's not normal every night creature find it's origin in that small place
• Vault raider : We need better metals than iron, and any hero willing to adventure in a vault and come back with magic materials shall be rewarded
• Preacher: Convince as many kingdom leader to value peace. Especially elves of Pinalene and Wulemaapasi.
• Anthropologue : Visit as many neighbouring nations as you can, come with a report on their customs. Any trivia would be valuable for establishing relations.
• Ruin roamer : Travel to the distant north and get your hand on Onget books. Do so while trying to avoid the forgotten beast that is confirmed in the area.
• Agent : Travel to the conquered dwarven holds in the south. Assess the situation, act appropriately. We need to free those holds at least, take it for ourselves at best

At this point, I'm taking any ideas. Anything to continue the story is welcome.

And to conclude this post, have a bonus Luki :

Also yes if you're asking, the sudden bump in quality is here to stay. I just discovered pen stabilizers and I can't belive I've been drawing ten years without it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 03:50:32 am by Cathar »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 28, 2018, 04:18:52 am »

Lol.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 28, 2018, 01:46:04 pm »

I'm glad/proud to see your fun story thread has almost reached an end.  It's even more awesome that this was a sequel to more story.  And if people feel like making the above happen, for yet another sequel, then all the better!

There is a couple missions I have in my head.

• Explorator : Find out what the hell is happening in the Land of Confining and come back with an exploratory report. It's not normal every night creature find it's origin in that small place
• Vault raider : We need better metals than iron, and any hero willing to adventure in a vault and come back with magic materials shall be rewarded
• Preacher: Convince as many kingdom leader to value peace. Especially elves of Pinalene and Wulemaapasi.
• Anthropologue : Visit as many neighbouring nations as you can, come with a report on their customs. Any trivia would be valuable for establishing relations.
• Ruin roamer : Travel to the distant north and get your hand on Onget books. Do so while trying to avoid the forgotten beast that is confirmed in the area.
• Agent : Travel to the conquered dwarven holds in the south. Assess the situation, act appropriately. We need to free those holds at least, take it for ourselves at best

I'm guessing that you wouldn't be drawing comics so much as illustrating neat scenes that come out of someone else's descriptions.  Right?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #848 on: January 28, 2018, 02:13:04 pm »

Precisely ; I cant really make comics if I don't have full control/knowlege about the events, so it's not possible from descriptions alone. But I can illustrate, and I want to focus on illustrations anyway right now

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: January 29, 2018, 10:53:58 pm »

Crikey - even my crummy eyes can see the increase in quality in that last image - much awesome.  All due to a new magic technique you say?  I think then, you are about to embark on a new era of wow-ing people with your skills.  Tres-bien and I look forward to seeing what you do next.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: January 29, 2018, 11:58:32 pm »

Finally got around to Donu's visit with Hustra. lots of crying.

Donu paced back and forth inside her temple room. She wiped her sweaty hands on her skirt and stood still to see if she was still shaking. Although she had trained for battle, Donu had never participated in one. She imagined this is what it would feel like beforehand. She slapped her cheeks to regain her composure, and marched out the door to squash her creeping anxiety.

She made her way to a small wooden room which appeared to be connected to one of the other buildings in the fort. After looking around to make sure she wasn’t being watched, she sheepishly knocked on the rough wooden wall. After waiting a few minutes, she knocked again, this time she put some force into her blows. After another minute of silence she pressed her face to the wood and asked, “Mom? Are you there?”

A rasping voice responded, “Donu? Is that you?”

“Yeah. Dad told me to talk to you, and I know it’s been a while but-“

“Donu, I’m so sorry. I was a bad mother. I shouldn’t have been so harsh on you. I should have been more like your father.” Hustra’s voice was dry like sandpaper, “I wish I could fix it. I wish there was something I could do to repent, to end this curse… but…” Hustra couldn’t really cry in her dehydrated state, so it sounded like dry heaving, “I would do anything…. Just to see you or your father again.”

Donu began crying and almost fled in shame. Instead she slowly turned her back to the wall, and slid down to the ground. “You didn’t try to do anything wrong. You were harsh sometimes, but you never deserved this.” She choked back her tears and tried to continue, but collapsed back into more crying.

When she was able to regain her composure, Donu continued, “I didn’t come here to blame you. I know it’s been a while.” She held back her grief with a pause, then continued. “It’s been too long. I haven’t ignored you out of anger. I just… had so many good things happening I…. I’m sorry…. I was selfish.”

After another bout of crying, Hustra asked her daughter, “So, what’s been happening with you? Your father had a tough time at first, but he’s a survivor. Thur and Kiseabo are young, they are having a hard time now, but they’ll be fine. I heard Duslud talk about a girl he met named Sirris. It sounds like he may be smitten with her.

“Wait, you already know all that stuff?”

“Of course, your brothers, sister, and father have all been visiting me regularly.”

“Oh… I thought we weren’t supposed to visit.”

“So that’s the latest excuse. You haven’t changed at all. I remember when you used to cry and run off to the kitchen when you were little. Mate was worried you would start calling him ‘Mom’ the way you ate his food.” She cackled through chapped lips as her daughters face burned bright red.

“Stop it. You’re embarrassing me.”

“I may be suffering from a werecurse, but I’m still your mother.” She paused for a bit, “So what’s been happening in your life. Whenever I ask your father he gives some generic excuse.”

‘Well…. I’m engaged.”

“You’re what?! To Who?!”

“Zefer.”

“Oh Donu! I’m so proud of you!”

“We’ve been dating for a while and I asked dad…”

“Zefer’s such a promising young soldier. And Jalew’s clan has strong roots in Watershields. Oh! Isn’t Zefer the strong one? I can’t wait for you to have babies!”

“Mom!”

“I’m sorry dear, I got carried away.”

“It’s fine. I just wanted to let you know what is happening in my life. I know you can’t come to the wedding, but I’ll try to visit you and Valken more often.”

“I’m glad you’re happy. Your father and I are very proud of you.”

Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #851 on: January 30, 2018, 05:29:10 am »

I suggest a quest to the Land of Confining.  It sounds like a good opportunity for both heroics and plot development.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: January 30, 2018, 05:41:08 am »

eats bread
There was no popcorn available at the time.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #853 on: January 30, 2018, 10:37:14 am »

This is so very adorable Megaman, as always. Donu's my favourite character of all time. I'm super happy to have seen her grown into adulthood. She's definitely getting a drawing before next update.

Also I've been thinking, after watching one of Krugg's videos, apparently sealed werebeasts remain sealed after retirement. Maybe we don't have to kill them ? I think it worths the shot.

I suggest a quest to the Land of Confining.  It sounds like a good opportunity for both heroics and plot development.

There are also prisonners to rescue in goblin pits, now I think about it. We're definitely not falling short of heroics anytime soon !

Next update on the way. I'm also taking some time to look at the phenotypes of various cultures of Minbazkar. Elves of Pinalene are really beautiful, it's a shame they are such dicks D:

I'll do a neat guide for character creation before we embark on the next chapter !

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: January 30, 2018, 10:51:24 am »

I'll do a bit more roleplaying next time, I didn't do much here, for various reasons, so I p'll try to do a bit better next time.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 111